The Raven's Tale: Chapter Thirty-Eight:

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:32 AM

The Raven's Tale:
Chapter Thirty-Eight:

“So where're we goin'?” Corris asked. She tightened the straps of her pack tighter about her shoulders.

“After a man named Isaea.” I said simply.

“You – you don't mean Isaea Roenall, do you?” Aerie asked, startled. Her blue eyes went wide, and she nearly dropped the book she was holding.

I blinked. “Yeah, I do. Why d'you ask?” Aerie quickly recovered and put the book in her satchel.

Corris bared her teeth in a snarl. “Bastard.”

That was the last response I had expected from her. “He pretends ta be 'Mr. high-and-perfect,' but we know better, don't we.” Corris snarled. “He's involved in the slave trades.”

“Really?” Kelsey said. “I'd heard some rumours about him . . . dark stuff, but I figured it was only the rumour-mongering that you get with any major merchant or noble. I wouldn't have believed it until I met you.”

“Believe it, mageling.” Corris snarled. “He ain't a nice guy. How'd you run in ta him?”

I launched into the story, leaving out only the fact that I was a Bhaalspawn. At the end, Corris chuckled bitterly. “I think your Nalia said it right, he's a bastard.”

“But – But how could anyone be so . . .” Aerie wondered aloud, “well, so, evil? Why would he do such a thing?”

I winced. Corris looked up at me. “C'mon, Ellie, you're not tellin' all.” She had her arms crossed over her chest.

“Alright.” I admitted, “There's more. I – I'm a Bhaalspawn.” Aerie's eyes widened further.

Kelsey let out a breath, meeting my eyes. He blew out a breath. “And I thought Isaea was only saying that to discredit you.” He turned aside, breaking his gaze from mine. “I mean – I had heard the rumours about Sarevok, and about the woman who'd defeated him . . . but I didn't really believe it. People will say anything about those who are in the public eye. But to hear you say that . . .”

“A Bhaalspawn?” Aerie squeaked. “Ohhh . . . But – But – you're not at all what I expected.”

I chuckled. “I seem to get that a lot.”

“Huh, I bet. Don't matter to me, y'know.” Corris drawled. “Just promise me ya won't go transformin' in ta something an' kill us all in our sleep, eh?”

“That I can promise.” I said, favouring the halfling with a smile.

Kelsey was frowning. “You don't seem at all like the stories I hear about the Children,” he said after a moment, a furrow between his eyes. “I hear so many stories about these bloodthirsty warriors and mages, bent on total destruction . . . and then there's you.” He shrugged. “I don't know quite what to think right now, but you seem like your heart's in the right place.”

“A Bhaalspawn?” Aerie repeated. “I – I thought they were more of a legend -- I mean, I know they were real, but no one knew of them – you never met one . . .” She trailed off, fumbling for words.

“Well, ya met one now, huh?” Corris pointed out, rolling her eyes at her taller companion. “Besides, Aerie, would a 'nasty evil Bhaalspawn' 've helped us?” Corris continued, “just 'cause the poor girl's got a bit of weird blood don't mean she's a freak.” Absently, Corris pulled a dagger from somewhere within her leather armour, and started toying with it. “'sides, we both know Isaea's in need of a sound thrashin', and Ellie seems bent on doin' just that.”

“I – I suppose . . .” Aerie's voice trailed off. It was obvious the concept upset her. I really couldn't blame her for that. It had upset me. It still did, at times.

“I, for one, am glad you were honest.” Kelsey favoured me with a smile. “I probably would have thought a lot worse of you if you hadn't had the courage to tell us.”

“Yeah, that's sure true. But 'nough gabbin', lets get goin'!” Corris sheathed the dagger in one quick motion.

“And just where are we going?” Jaheira asked, raising a brow.

“Government district.” she answered, not bothering to turn around. “That's where Isaea's house is, huh? Best ta go ta the root of this whole mess.”

I chuckled. “She's got a point.” Jaheira and Anomen looked annoyed, Kelsey and Aerie wore expressions of surprise, and Minsc wore a huge grin. Yoshimo, as usual, was almost unreadable, a face that gave near-nothing away. A glint in his eyes, however, suggested that he was amused buy their antics.

“Yes! Take the butt-kicking right to the butts that deserve it!” Minsc boomed. “All evil will fear for their buttocks when Corris and Minsc come charging in!” He paused. “Oh, and Little Ellie. Minsc and Boo could never forget little Ellie.”

Corris just looked slightly bewildered. Then again, most people had that look on their face when dealing with Minsc.

I sat on a bench outside, under the shade of a large oak tree. The Roenall estate was across the wide street. Supposedly, I was reading over a manuscript. In reality, I was drawing on the expertise of Corris and Yoshimo, trying to figure out what our best point of entrance would be. The others had been less then thrilled with the plan, but even Jaheira had to agree with the idea of finding the fastest solution to this problem. We had already discounted the front door. I was trying to remember what I could of the layout of the house.

Corris sat beside me, her feet dangling. “Right. Ellie, our best bet's likely an upstairs window.” She leaned in to touch a point on the manuscript, her eyes darting over my shoulder. “No problems yet.” It had fallen to her to keep an eye on the guardsmen.

“Yeah, but the front of the house is exposed.” I said softly. Whispers attracted attention, low conversations did not. “I'd want a back or side window.”

“Indeed.” Yoshimo nodded. “What about there?” He nodded slightly to the house. “On the left side. Past the fence.” The fence in question was only about waist-high, more decorative then functional. It enclosed a small garden. A door lead into the house, and there was a gable window above and to the side of the door.

“Mind the door.” Corris said simply. “An' we'd have ta' know who's in that room.” Her eyes tracked over my shoulder again. “Ellie --” There was someone coming.

“My lady?” Well, judging from the tentative voice, it was unlikely to be a guard. Corris eyes glanced down, and I saw her slide a dagger from a sheath. I turned slowly.

“Yes?” I got a good look at my questioner. Then again, I thought, he was wearing the colours of the Athkatlan guard. This didn't bode well at all.

“Please, my lady – I – I have something I wish to say – but --” He looked to Yoshimo and Corris. “-- but I must not be overheard.”

*That was unexpected.* Numel echoed my thoughts.

I frowned for a moment, then spoke. “You can speak in front of my companions.” He didn't seem harmful, but I wasn't going anywhere alone with an Athkatlan guard.

He fidgeted, shifting his feet. At last he spoke. “Very – Very well. You – your are Elshana of Candlekeep, no?”

I nodded. It was hard to hide my identity. Especially now that Irenicus had left his marks . . . the scar on my cheek was hard to hide, and once that became attached to all the tales and information about me, I suspected it would be almost impossible to hide my identity. “Good.” He sat down on the bench. “My name is Khellor. I saw your altercation with Officer Roenall, and the involvement of the Lady Nalia.” He blew out a sigh. “I saw what happened, and I share your helplessness.”

Corris chuckled grimly. “And that's supposed ta make us feel better? Thanks.”

“I hold you no grudge for your manners, little mistress. Iseaea is a master at provoking rage in those with no path to vent it.” Now it was his turn to smile grimly. “Any complaints about Officer Roenall must first go through him, so you can imagine how many get through.”

Yoshimo raised a brow. “Indeed. Very few, I suspect.”

“'Very few' is about accurate. But I know a way around that. Isaea is quite corrupt and more than willing to exercise his power --”

Corris mumbled something I didn't quite catch, a snarl on her face. Khellor glanced at her, then turned back to me. “You are not monitored as we, so you can do something that I or another guard cannot.”

“Ah, yes . . . the powers of the city tend to overlook those not already ensnared within their nets.” Yoshimo considered. “A caution, good sir, we are not the type who are easily overlooked.”

Khellor fumbled for words for a moment. “That may be true. Still, this may be the only opportunity you have.” He leaned in closer. “Look to the docks and a man named Barg. That should show you enough of what you need. Do not try your foolhardy attempt. Iseaea has mages at his disposal, and your attempt to enter his house uninvited would not be wise.” I blinked He was obviously far more preceptive then I had thought. I might have to re-evaluate the guardsmen after all. “Take anything you learn to Corgig Axehand. He is Isaea's commander.” I nodded.

“I must go, my lady. They will question my motives if I am seen speaking with you.” With that he stood abruptly and marched off.”

After a moment of silence, I blinked and looked to the others. “What do you think?”

Corris looked to the Roenall estate. “Could be right, Ellie. Isaea's definitely involved in the slave trade.” Her voice was bitter. “'sides, I don't wanna mess with a mage if I don't have ta.”

After a moment of silence, Yoshimo nodded. “This could bear looking into, Elshana. Though I would caution about entering the docks.”

“Oh?”

“The docks are Shadow Thief territory -- with whom I have had a couple of run-ins with over the past few months. They do not appreciate . . . independent operators such as myself.”

“Ah.” I understood. He was leery of stepping on toes. With a group like the Shadow Theives, that was quite understandable. I was grateful he had informed me of this, rather then having a problem like this appear out of nowhere, causing more problems.

“So the last time they caught me operating in the city, I was told either to report to the head of the guild in the Docks, Renal Bloodscalp, or 'suffer the consequences.'” Yoshimo shifted position. “It appears that Renal needs an outsider to deal with a problem, and is willing to trade my punishment by the guild for a service.” He looked over my shoulder. “If I fail to go to him, now that it is known I am back in the city. . . ”

Corris simply winced.

“Now, after seeing your skill in combat, I think I would be safe with you, but that decision is, of course, up to you. If we go and see Renal, we might be able to talk him into a reward, and it'll avoid complications later on. I know you have other concerns at the moment – as no doubt I would in your situation --” he added with a touch of dry humour -- “but it is something to keep in your mind.”

I nodded quickly. “If we get the chance, Yoshimo. Our first concern has to be Isaea.”

“Of course.” Yoshimo bowed his head.

“Alright then.” I said. “We collect the others, and find this Barg.” And hope this guardsman wasn't lying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com