Chapter 14

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_theacefes_*

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:07 AM

Disclaimer: This is your last chance. Turn back if you don't like reading this kind of stuff :D

Sacrifice: Chapter 14

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"I suppose," I said, not really paying attention.

"I've never seen the ocean like this before," Nalia said. "Have you?"

I looked out at the ocean. The sun was setting; the red and orange lights in the sky were dancing on the calm water. We had set out early that morning.

"Good luck to you! I hope we all find what we are looking for," Aran Linvail had said as a parting statement. We were led to the ship, where Captain Saemon Havarian, a rather shady character, had explained to us the details of the journey. Aran had sent a woman named Sime to keep an eye on Saemon.

It was early, and the fog had barely begun to disperse. The cabins were limited so we just took the same room assignments we normally had at the Mithrest.

I had spent the majority of the day exploring the ship and planning out strategies with Yoshimo and Jaheira.

"Once we are on the island we should go to the Pirate Lord. We'll be able to gain entry to the asylum from there," Yoshimo said.

"How would you know this?" Jaheira asked, souding suspicious.

"I have connections that have travelled to Brynnlaw before. I contacted them in Atkatla when we found out about Spellhold," he explained.

"I see," Jaheira said, but I could see that she wasn't completely convinced.

"The Pirate Lord is in charge of admitting the mentally deranged and magically deviant to Spellhold," Yoshimo continued.

"So, basically, we're going to have to convince this guy that we're crazy," I concluded.

"Well, I...yes, I suppose we will." Yoshimo was hesitant for a moment, but the hesitation quickly vanished as he stood up and said, "Well, it is getting quite late, ladies. I shall see you both in the morning," and with that he left.

Jaheira looked at me. "He seems odd. We should be wary, child."

I nodded. Jaheira was usually right in her predictions. "Even if he means to betray us, I doubt he would on the ship where there are so many people," I said. "Let's just keep an eye on him and relax for now."

Jaheira nodded and said she was going to her room to tutor Aerie some more and left.

I felt guilty because I knew Jaheira had Khalid on her mind, and that she was feeling unsure, perhaps even angry or fearful about the possibility of facing Irenicus again.

Realizing it was getting late, I decided to go up to the top deck and watch the sunset. I would watch the sun set every night in Candlekeep with Imoen, but the thought only intensified how much I missed my best friend.

"I used to watch the sun set all the time where I grew up," I said to Nalia.

She smiled. "By yourself?"

I shook my head. "No, usually Imoen would watch it with me...and fall asleep before nightfall!" I exclaimed and we both laughed.

I looked at her. The light ocean breeze made her light brown hair sway gently, and the light from the sunset brought out some of the auburn in it. She's pretty, I thought to myself as I watched her stare out at the horizon.

"Nalia?"

"Yes, Auren?"

"Thank you for coming with me," I said, not realizing that I had said "me" instead of "us".

She took my hand and smiled.

"I'd go anywhere with you, Auren," she said.

I'm not sure what was going through my mind as I suddenly closed my eyes, bent my head down a little, and began to move towards her slowly. Nalia squeezed my hand and tilted her head up, since she was a bit shorter than me, and pressed her lips onto mine. The kiss seemed to last for an eternity as she let go of my hand and put her arms around me and I did the same. The ocean breeze, the smell of her hair; everything around me was perfect, and I wished it could stay that way forever.

Finally, she broke the kiss and I braced myself for rejection, but to my surprise, she kept her arms around me.

"Heh," I said, and she looked at the ground, blushing.

"That...that was nice," she said, now staring at me.

I said nothing and just stood there, holding her.

"Aren't you going to say something embarrassing, too?" she asked with a playful smile.

I grinned. "Do I have to?" I said and kissed her again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com