ASO: Over a Cup of Nearcaf

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:12 PM

Author's Note: This isn't so much a story as a snippet of dialogue from my 'future sections' of Space Odyssey pile. And while doing some owrk today, I came across it and decided it fit the Quiz Topic. So I buffed it up a little and here it is.

Also, the inspiration for this piece came from James Clavell's Shogun. If you've read it, you'll recognize the scene. :P

Nalia sat at one of the tables in the mess, nursing a cup of nearcaf quietly, cup held in both hands. A datapad rested next to her elbow, screen blanked and a half full plate of synthesized eggs slowly congealed in front of her. The Gorion’s engineer stared out the viewport and off into the space, lost in her own thoughts.

So absorbed in her reverie she didn’t hear the mess doors slide open, revealing the ship’s redheaded operations officer. Imoen looked around the nearly empty mess and waved to Nalia before heading off to the draw a cup of nearcaf from the ever percolating dispensor. Dropping in generous amounts of sugar, she lifted the cup and took that first satisfying drink. Now with some sugar and caffeine in the system, she could actually turn her attention to the room’s other occupant.

Noticing that Nalia didn’t even look like she’d seen her yet, Imoen strolled over and plunked herself down in the seat opposite. The engineer’s face was drawn, almost pensive. Never one to miss a chance to cheer someone up, or at least find out what was bugging them, she reached over and poked Nalia, “Hey Nals?”

Nalia started, eyes flying wide, nearly dropping her mug. Carefully putting the mug down, she turned her attention on her smirking friend. “Imoen! I.. I didn’t see you come in.”

Imoen grinned. “Too busy stargazing I guess.”

“Yeah,” Nalia shrugged. “I guess I was.”

Nalia lapsed into silence again, this time lowering her mug and picking up her datapad. Silence reigned in the small mess as Imoen, expecting some further elaboration from her friend, sipped at her nearcaf. After a minute of agonizing silence for Imoen, she put down her cup and stared at Nalia, willing her to speak. Once even this tactic failed, she finally spoke up. “Hey Nals, why so glum?”

Nalia didn’t look up from her datapad. “I’m not glum Im. I’m just trying to read.”

Imoen cocked her head to get a better view of the auburn haired engineer’s face. After a few moments of study, she nodded to herself and put down her mug. Smiling, she pointed a finger at Nalia and cheerfully said, “I think I know what what’s wrong!”

That did get Nalia to lower the datapad. With one eyebrow arched, she replied with a tone that could freeze oceans, “Oh? And what is that?”

Imoen’s face broke into a huge smile. Leaning forward, she proclaimed, “Well, Ms. Crabbypants, I’ll even be so kind to tell you. We need to get YOU a man.”

Nalia’s eyes narrowed at her friend’s bubbly proclamation. “I don’t want a man, Imoen. Now leave me alone.”

Imoen’s mouth made a perfect O. Her hand flew to her mouth and she gave Nalia a look of sheer disbelief. “You don’t want a man?” she exclaimed.

“No.”

“Okay.. okay.. this will be more difficult,” Imoen said aloud, stroking her chin. She snapped her fingers and pointed right at Nalia. “I’ve got it then! We’ll get you a woman!”

“What!?” Nalia exclaimed in a combination of annoyance and surprise. “No! No! I don’t a want a woman either!”

Imoen shrugged. “Well, you said you didn’t want a man, so…”

“Gods above, Imoen!” growled Nalia, shoving her chair back noisily. Datapad firmly gripped in one hand, she yelled, “Just leave me alone!” and stormed off.

Not a minute after the doors of the mess closed on a fuming engineer, they opened for the ship’s medical officer. The blonde Avarielian cast a concerned glance back at the door she just entered in and then at the smug redhead in front of her. Thumbing towards the closed door and the corridor beyond, Aerie asked, “Wh.. what’s wrong with Nalia?”

Imoen sat up in her seat and cheerfully replied, “Well, we were discussing her sexual interests, but apparently she has a few too many hang ups on that subject to really get to the heart of her problem.”

Aerie blinked. “Um.. I..I see.”

“Indeed,” she said with a firm nod. “We discovered that she is not interested in men nor in women. But before we could get any further, she just blew up at me.”

Aerie’s eyes went wide as Imoen continued. Thoroughly confused, Aerie stammered, “N.. not i..interested? F..further?”

“Yup. Surprising that. However, its probably a good thing I didn’t have a chance to offer her the duck. I don’t think she was mentally ready for that kind of an experience.”

“D.. d… duck? I…” Aerie regarded Imoen with a look of almost fear. She slowly started to back away from the grinning redhaired imp. As the doors slid open, she said quickly, “I.. I really think I better go check on her. T.. talk to you later.”

With that, Aerie hurried off, leaving Imoen alone in the mess. She leaned back in her chair and propped her booted feet on the non scratch table. Savoring a few sips of nearcaf, she smiled to herself quietly until she could no longer hear the sound of feet in the corridor beyond. Pumping her fist victoriously, she chortled to herself, “The Duck always works. Go me.”

#2 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:34 PM

Author's Note: This isn't so much a story as a snippet of dialogue from my 'future sections' of Space Odyssey pile. And while doing some owrk today, I came across it and decided it fit the Quiz Topic. So I buffed it up a little and here it is.

ah yes...snippets from the slush pile... :twisted:

Also, the inspiration for this piece came from James Clavell's Shogun. If you've read it, you'll recognize the scene. :oops:

you're quite evil... :P which of course is a good thing...

Nalia sat at one of the tables in the mess, nursing a cup of nearcaf quietly, cup held in both hands. A datapad rested next to her elbow, screen blanked and a half full plate of synthesized eggs slowly congealed in front of her. The Gorion’s engineer stared out the viewport and off into the space, lost in her own thoughts.

best thing to do with synth eggs...let it die naturally... :oops:

Noticing that Nalia didn’t even look like she’d seen her yet, Imoen strolled over and plunked herself down in the seat opposite. The engineer’s face was drawn, almost pensive. Never one to miss a chance to cheer someone up, or at least find out what was bugging them, she reached over and poked Nalia, “Hey Nals?”

nally, her nibs... but nals?

Imoen’s face broke into a huge smile. Leaning forward, she proclaimed, “Well, Ms. Crabbypants, I’ll even be so kind to tell you. We need to get YOU a man.”

:shock: that's our imoen..the soul of tact and sensitivity... :shock:

“Okay.. okay.. this will be more difficult,” Imoen said aloud, stroking her chin. She snapped her fingers and pointed right at Nalia. “I’ve got it then! We’ll get you a woman!”

YAY!!!

“What!?” Nalia exclaimed in a combination of annoyance and surprise. “No! No! I don’t a want a woman either!”

rats... :D :shock:

“Gods above, Imoen!” growled Nalia, shoving her chair back noisily. Datapad firmly gripped in one hand, she yelled, “Just leave me alone!” and stormed off.

im: what did i say???? :shock:

only doctor aerie could say that without blushing...

Aerie’s eyes went wide as Imoen continued. Thoroughly confused, Aerie stammered, “N.. not i..interested? F..further?”

:shock: :shock: :shock:

“Yup. Surprising that. However, its probably a good thing I didn’t have a chance to offer her the duck. I don’t think she was mentally ready for that kind of an experience.”

DUCK!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

“D.. d… duck? I…” Aerie regarded Imoen with a look of almost fear. She slowly started to back away from the grinning redhaired imp. As the doors slid open, she said quickly, “I.. I really think I better go check on her. T.. talk to you later.”

:shock: :shock: :shock:

With that, Aerie hurried off, leaving Imoen alone in the mess. She leaned back in her chair and propped her booted feet on the non scratch table. Savoring a few sips of nearcaf, she smiled to herself quietly until she could no longer hear the sound of feet in the corridor beyond. Pumping her fist victoriously, she chortled to herself, “The Duck always works. Go me.”

the duck always works on doc aerie...

anjin san right after he washed up...yeah...i've read it...and got really annoyed about it years later after i've read a lot more japanese history...

ieyasu, nobunaga, etc...

i actually prefer yoshikawa's "Musashi" for books from that era...

YAY!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:26 PM

And while doing some owrk today, I came across it and decided it fit the Quiz Topic. So I buffed it up a little and here it is.

Sweet. :twisted:

The Gorion’s engineer stared out the viewport and off into the space, lost in her own thoughts.

Harlequin: "Sounds just like ours... only ours is worse. She likes to wear headphones."

Cipher: "Hmmm?''

Harlequin: "Never mind."

“I don’t want a man, Imoen. Now leave me alone.”

(Snicker) Ever see Gladiator?

"What do you want, hmmmm? Girl? ... Boy?" :twisted:

“No! No! I don’t a want a woman either!”

:P "Boy? No. ... Girl? No. ... Dog?! Cat? Panda bear? Echidna?" :D

Imoen sat up in her seat and cheerfully replied, “Well, we were discussing her sexual interests, but apparently she has a few too many hang ups on that subject to really get to the heart of her problem.”

Given the way Im puts forth the subject, there really aren't that many people who -wouldn't- be put off by such a conversation. :twisted:

I think "spiny echidnae" are funnier, myself. :twisted:

#4 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:17 AM

Ooohhh! Random bits from the slush pile!

Imoen! :twisted: :twisted: There is a thing called 'tact?'

Nalia’s eyes narrowed at her friend’s bubbly proclamation. “I don’t want a man, Imoen. Now leave me alone.”

Uh, Nalia, that could be taken the wrong way . . .

Imoen’s mouth made a perfect O. Her hand flew to her mouth and she gave Nalia a look of sheer disbelief. “You don’t want a man?” she exclaimed.

“No.”

:shock: See what I mean, Nalia?

:shock: :twisted: Nalia, don't dig yourself deeper . . . you've already got yourself pretty stuck . . . :P

:shock: :shock: :shock: Only Aerie could take that so . . . bluntly.

“Indeed,” she said with a firm nod. “We discovered that she is not interested in men nor in women. But before we could get any further, she just blew up at me.”

:twisted: :shock: Don't ask, don't question her, just walk away, Aerie, while you still can . . .

“D.. d… duck? I…” Aerie regarded Imoen with a look of almost fear.

I warned you, Aerie! :D

Pumping her fist victoriously, she chortled to herself, “The Duck always works. Go me.”

*snicker*

Great fun. :shock:

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:05 AM

Also, the inspiration for this piece came from James Clavell's Shogun. If you've read it, you'll recognize the scene. :twisted:

Haven’t read it and I hope it’s not necessary to be familiar with it to enjoy the piece.

Hmm, well… if these are future sections, I take it that Nalia survived the whole Helios-debacle and the theft of Gorion.

Oh, yes, of course. The perfect solution to all women’s problems, isn’t it? :twisted:

The sheer outrage!! :twisted:

Aww, that’s friendship. :twisted:

The duck definitely isn’t…

Coward… :twisted:

Hee hee… :twisted:

Hmm, future snippets from ASO universe and Jaheira wasn’t part of them? If you’ve done something evil to her, I’ll summon some butt-ogres to brutalize your backside. :twisted:

#6 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:26 AM

ah yes...snippets from the slush pile... :D

Indeed sir. The random things you find in there from time to time. :D

Also, the inspiration for this piece came from James Clavell's Shogun. If you've read it, you'll recognize the scene. :D

you're quite evil... :twisted: which of course is a good thing...

I do pride myself on that, good UU. :D :twisted:

best thing to do with synth eggs...let it die naturally... :(

Or hit it with a mortar round. :D

nally, her nibs... but nals?

*shrug* It seemed to work. Dunnno why, but hey.

;) that's our imoen..the soul of tact and sensitivity... ;)

:D Indeed. The perfect diplomat.

If you want to start a war.

YAY!!!

Down UU! Control yourself!

rats... :roll: ;)

Sorry UU. You'll have to wait for an AU for that.

im: what did i say???? ;)

*snigger* Always so innocent. :D

only doctor aerie could say that without blushing...

Well, when you've spent as much time in the medical profession, well you've seen enough odd things.

;) ;) ;)

;)

DUCK!!! ;) ;) ;)

Quack. ;)

;) ;) :)

Run away! Run away!

the duck always works on doc aerie...

At least in this case. :D

anjin san right after he washed up...yeah...i've read it...and got really annoyed about it years later after i've read a lot more japanese history...

ieyasu, nobunaga, etc...

i actually prefer yoshikawa's "Musashi" for books from that era...

I won't argue too much about that. But the scene is truly precious. :D

YAY!!! ;) ;) ;)

Glad you liked it sir. :P :D Thanks for commenting. :D

VH

#7 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:28 AM

And while doing some owrk today, I came across it and decided it fit the Quiz Topic. So I buffed it up a little and here it is.

Sweet. :D

A little treat for everyone. Including me. Its fun finding the little bits of the slush pile you forget about.

The Gorion’s engineer stared out the viewport and off into the space, lost in her own thoughts.

Harlequin: "Sounds just like ours... only ours is worse. She likes to wear headphones."

Cipher: "Hmmm?''

Harlequin: "Never mind."

*snigger*

“I don’t want a man, Imoen. Now leave me alone.”

(Snicker) Ever see Gladiator?

More than once. But the scene has other derivatives

"What do you want, hmmmm? Girl? ... Boy?" ;)

But pretty much that is it... but in Shogun. ;)

“No! No! I don’t a want a woman either!”

:twisted: "Boy? No. ... Girl? No. ... Dog?! Cat? Panda bear? Echidna?" :roll:

Panda bear? Echidna? Duuude.

Given the way Im puts forth the subject, there really aren't that many people who -wouldn't- be put off by such a conversation. ;)

Viconia. Maybe Edwin.

I think "spiny echidnae" are funnier, myself. ;)

That's because you're a sick and twisted individual. :twisted:

Thanks for commenting Alpha.

VH

#8 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:32 AM

Ooohhh! Random bits from the slush pile!

They do crop up from time to time. ;)

Imoen! :D ;) There is a thing called 'tact?'

Imoen: "Really? I remember some instructors mentioning that, but then they got to distracted by the fire ants I'd left in their shorts."

Uh, Nalia, that could be taken the wrong way . . .

And with Imoen involved, that can be assured. ;)

“No.”

;) See what I mean, Nalia?

Nalia: "Now I find out."

;) ;) Nalia, don't dig yourself deeper . . . you've already got yourself pretty stuck . . . :twisted:

She's in a rather deep ditch. But she takes the emergency exit. ;)

;) ;) ;) Only Aerie could take that so . . . bluntly.

True enough

;) ;) Don't ask, don't question her, just walk away, Aerie, while you still can . . .

Aerie: "I.. I wish I had. B..but she had me completely flatfooted.

“D.. d… duck? I…” Aerie regarded Imoen with a look of almost fear.

I warned you, Aerie! :twisted:

Too late!!! :roll:

Pumping her fist victoriously, she chortled to herself, “The Duck always works. Go me.”

*snicker*

Great fun. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Serena. ;)

VH

#9 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:36 AM

Also, the inspiration for this piece came from James Clavell's Shogun. If you've read it, you'll recognize the scene. ;)

Haven’t read it and I hope it’s not necessary to be familiar with it to enjoy the piece.

Nope. Just referential material. ;)

Hmm, well… if these are future sections, I take it that Nalia survived the whole Helios-debacle and the theft of Gorion.

Actually sir, hate to rain on the parade, but by future sections I meant parts not yet written. Or in this case, random bits of dialogue. :D

Oh, yes, of course. The perfect solution to all women’s problems, isn’t it? ;)

For certain problems. :twisted:

The sheer outrage!! ;)

Imoen: "Well, yes." :twisted: "She's depriving me of good gossip."

Aww, that’s friendship. ;)

Right. Because you'd usually punch a random person for that. ;)

The duck definitely isn’t…

No. But with a nice orange sauce.... bwahahahahaha

Coward… ;)

I'd like to see you not head for the hills in that situation sir. ;)

Hee hee… ;)

Glad you enjoyed it sir. ;)

Hmm, future snippets from ASO universe and Jaheira wasn’t part of them? If you’ve done something evil to her, I’ll summon some butt-ogres to brutalize your backside. :roll:

Well, it's a good thing I'm wearing my armored trousers. ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting Theo. ;)

VH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com