Omegas XXVI: “Less Talk, More Fight!”

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:08 AM

It's Note-icious and delicious!

1. Short chapter. Very short, actually. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas has, as expected, taken over my existence. Before I disappear entirely, I figured I'd put this up. I just hope that by the time the next chapter gets put up, I haven't started talking like a 90's inner city street punk. :lol:

2. After the corrections from last chapter, I think the killboard should be all good by now. Hopefully my numbers are correct.

3. Lame "cliffhanger" warning. :)

4. Mini-glossary: :cry:

APC = Armored Personnel Carrier
IFV = Infantry Fighting Vehicle
RPG = Rocket Propelled Grenade

-----

The backbone of the Dominion force had been broken. The four tanks that comprised the platoon’s “heavy punch” capability were little more than smoking ruins, their crew members dead or otherwise incapacitated. But while the vehicles were a mess, there was still plenty of fight left in the infantry. The orcish foot soldiers continued their desperate bid to take the hills away from the Confederation units defending them, and while Delta and Epsilon groups continued to put up a vicious fight, they were vastly outnumbered, and getting hit hard. It was time to pull out.

Falynn raised everyone on the comm. “All right, folks… we did what we came to do. We’re bugging out.” She made sure she was broadcasting on the right frequency, then hailed the commander of the Confed contingent of vehicles. “Anvil One, objectives accomplished, we are go for extraction…”

The leader of the Thirty Corps detachment kicked his Infantry Fighting Vehicle into gear, and sent the rest of his crew to their stations. The engines growled hungrily as he rammed the throttle to the stops, and a low hum let him know that his gunners were powering their weapons up. “Copy that, Omega Lead, we’re moving in.” The convoy of IFVs and APCs fell into formation and began burning for the extraction zone.

Imoen casually put a round into the helmet of a Dominion soldier and then nudged Nalia in the shoulder. “Jeeves, bring the car around, would you? That’s a good chap.” The other woman grinned and winked in response.

“Reminds me of home… except, you know, our family limo never had laser cannons mounted on the roof.”

Imoen looked positively aghast for a moment, then broke into her customary, infectious grin. “Stick with me, hon. I’ll teach ya how to cruise around in style.

“Less talk, more fight!” Falynn admonished the two of them. She dropped a pair of Dominion assault troopers that had gotten uncomfortably close to her position, then turned to check the flanks. The enemy was still pushing hard, somehow finding the wherewithal to continue their assault on Confederation positions. Her eyes scanned the area, falling on an orcish trooper toting a very dangerous-looking metal tube.

“RPG!” Raven cried out in warning, then tapped her rifle’s trigger three times, sending a quick laser-burst towards the nearby hostile.

The hurried shots were poorly aimed, missing low and wide; the attacking orc didn’t even flinch. He held his ground, brought the rocket-propelled-grenade launcher to his shoulder and yanked on the trigger. While marginally effective against vehicles, the weapon would tear into an unarmored human being just as efficiently. Instinctively, the three women dived for cover, each of them leaping in separate directions. The explosive shell landed closest to Imoen, peppering her combat vest with shrapnel, and stinging her exposed hands and neck. Loose gravel clacked against her helmet.

“Lousy orcs don’t deserve to play with bombs…” she grumbled as she rolled onto her back and tried to sit up. Nothing hurt, which was either a good sign or a really bad one.

“You all right, Lieutenant?” Nalia was hovering anxiously nearby, her sidearm drawn and held in a competent - if still somewhat inexperienced - looking grip.

“Think so… just… a little shaken up…”

“Good, because – watch out!” Before she even really realized what she was doing, Ensign Nalia de’Arnisse had taken her borrowed handgun and put two quick shots into the chest of an approaching Dominion trooper. The orc grunted once, then keeled over like a felled tree.

Nalia stared down at her hands - which were now trembling slightly - in surprise. Her eyes were wide, and her breath came in shallow gasps. She managed to control her shaking hands long enough to flick the safety on the weapon, and gingerly put the gun into the holster at her hip. Her fingers secured the holster and then quickly backed away, like a frightened animal scurrying away from a predator. “Did… I just-”

Imoen nodded solemnly. “Looks like. Guess it’s official…”

“ ‘Official?’ What… what do you mean, Lieutenant?”

“You shot a bad guy and saved both our lives. There’s probably still some paperwork to be done, but I’d say you’re one of the squad now.” She gave Nalia a reassuring smile which quickly turned into one of her customary smirks. “As a sidebar, this means you should stop calling me ‘Lieutenant.’”

The naval officer still seemed a bit overwhelmed by it all, but she managed a wry smirk of her own. “I’m… honored.”

“Of course you are – everyone should have a friend like me! Hey… wait a second. Where’s Falynn?”

“The Major? I don’t see her… hang on…” Nalia suddenly adopted a pained expression. “…over there…” She pointed to an impact crater a few meters away - and the motionless body that was lying near it.

Imoen shivered. “Oh no…”

-----

Killboard:

Llyr, F.: 5
Llyr, I.: 9
Marael, J.: 3
Vaonnor, M.: 4 (Infantry: 2, Vehicles: 2)
Jansen, J.: 2 (Infantry: 1, Vehicles: 1)
Corthala, V.: 10 (Infantry: 9, Vehicles: 1)
De’Arnisse, N.: 1

#2 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:09 AM

1. Short chapter. Very short, actually. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas has, as expected, taken over my existence. Before I disappear entirely, I figured I'd put this up. I just hope that by the time the next chapter gets put up, I haven't started talking like a 90's inner city street punk. ;)

We will all hope and pray my son. And boy do I know what addiction is right now. KoTOR is just sucking away my energy. Oh man. Manaan, Tatooine, and Kashykk are down and I'm currently fighting my way through the Leviathan. Ho boy

2. After the corrections from last chapter, I think the killboard should be all good by now. Hopefully my numbers are correct.

Yay.

APC = Armored Personnel Carrier =target
IFV = Infantry Fighting Vehicle =bigger target
RPG = Rocket Propelled Grenade =TOY!!!

The backbone of the Dominion force had been broken. The four tanks that comprised the platoon’s “heavy punch” capability were little more than smoking ruins, their crew members dead or otherwise incapacitated. But while the vehicles were a mess, there was still plenty of fight left in the infantry. The orcish foot soldiers continued their desperate bid to take the hills away from the Confederation units defending them, and while Delta and Epsilon groups continued to put up a vicious fight, they were vastly outnumbered, and getting hit hard. It was time to pull out.

What can I say? Orcs aren't smart enough to know when to run for the hills.

Bran: "As much as can be said for having stupid enemies, that is the problem. They rarely figure out they're beat, and continue to fight. And stupid doesn't mean they can't shoot straight."

Falynn raised everyone on the comm. “All right, folks… we did what we came to do. We’re bugging out.” She made sure she was broadcasting on the right frequency, then hailed the commander of the Confed contingent of vehicles. “Anvil One, objectives accomplished, we are go for extraction…”

Translation: "Boys? Get us the hells outta here."

The leader of the Thirty Corps detachment kicked his Infantry Fighting Vehicle into gear, and sent the rest of his crew to their stations. The engines growled hungrily as he rammed the throttle to the stops, and a low hum let him know that his gunners were powering their weapons up. “Copy that, Omega Lead, we’re moving in.” The convoy of IFVs and APCs fell into formation and began burning for the extraction zone.

And here comes the Dominion air strike!

Wait... huh. No air strike? You getting soft on us Alpha? :cry:

Imoen casually put a round into the helmet of a Dominion soldier and then nudged Nalia in the shoulder. “Jeeves, bring the car around, would you? That’s a good chap.” The other woman grinned and winked in response.

*Looks at Nalia*

Bran: "Definitely not a guy. Most certainly not."

Nalia: "You even have to THINK about that? I think I need to put in a service request to upgrade some of your equipment."

Bran: "Hmm... I meant that as a jab at Alpha's Immy?"

Imoen: "Now you're trying to drag an Imoen into it too? Wait til I tell Jaheira."

Jaheira: "Tell Jaheira what?"

Bran: "Oh lord. To have Jedi powers. Pano (my Jedi scout/sentinel), can you help a brother out?"

Pano *currently battle Sith troopers* "A little busy here!"

“Reminds me of home… except, you know, our family limo never had laser cannons mounted on the roof.”

Considering the position of dear old dad, I'm kinda surprised a laser cannon wasn't involved in the official car somehow.

Imoen looked positively aghast for a moment, then broke into her customary, infectious grin. “Stick with me, hon. I’ll teach ya how to cruise around in style.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

“Less talk, more fight!” Falynn admonished the two of them. She dropped a pair of Dominion assault troopers that had gotten uncomfortably close to her position, then turned to check the flanks. The enemy was still pushing hard, somehow finding the wherewithal to continue their assault on Confederation positions. Her eyes scanned the area, falling on an orcish trooper toting a very dangerous-looking metal tube.

Great quote. And UH OH.

“RPG!” Raven cried out in warning, then tapped her rifle’s trigger three times, sending a quick laser-burst towards the nearby hostile.

Orcs with rockets! Not good! Evasive manuevers!

The hurried shots were poorly aimed, missing low and wide; the attacking orc didn’t even flinch. He held his ground, brought the rocket-propelled-grenade launcher to his shoulder and yanked on the trigger. While marginally effective against vehicles, the weapon would tear into an unarmored human being just as efficiently. Instinctively, the three women dived for cover, each of them leaping in separate directions. The explosive shell landed closest to Imoen, peppering her combat vest with shrapnel, and stinging her exposed hands and neck. Loose gravel clacked against her helmet.

BOOM.

“Lousy orcs don’t deserve to play with bombs…”

Imoen: "Oh, I think they can play with em. Like when I leave them nice booby traps."

“You all right, Lieutenant?” Nalia was hovering anxiously nearby, her sidearm drawn and held in a competent - if still somewhat inexperienced - looking grip.

Hey look! Immy's a martini!

In honor of CDR: "And I want to drink her right up." :lol: ;)

“Good, because – watch out!” Before she even really realized what she was doing, Ensign Nalia de’Arnisse had taken her borrowed handgun and put two quick shots into the chest of an approaching Dominion trooper. The orc grunted once, then keeled over like a felled tree.

Uh oh. She just did it.

Nalia stared down at her hands - which were now trembling slightly - in surprise. Her eyes were wide, and her breath came in shallow gasps. She managed to control her shaking hands long enough to flick the safety on the weapon, and gingerly put the gun into the holster at her hip. Her fingers secured the holster and then quickly backed away, like a frightened animal scurrying away from a predator. “Did… I just-”

Smart lass, even if she's a bit shocked. And yup, that tears it.

You just got on the Killboard. ;)

“You shot a bad guy and saved both our lives. There’s probably still some paperwork to be done, but I’d say you’re one of the squad now.” She gave Nalia a reassuring smile which quickly turned into one of her customary smirks. “As a sidebar, this means you should stop calling me ‘Lieutenant.’”

Poor Nalia, if she only knew what she was getting herself into, she'd be sitting back at camp, playing with comm gear. :)

The naval officer still seemed a bit overwhelmed by it all, but she managed a wry smirk of her own. “I’m… honored.”

Give it time, it'll pass.

“Of course you are – everyone should have a friend like me! Hey… wait a second. Where’s Falynn?”

Valygar: "There is an inherent flaw in that statement."

“The Major? I don’t see her… hang on…” Nalia suddenly adopted a pained expression. “…over there…” She pointed to an impact crater a few meters away - and the motionless body that was lying near it.

Imoen shivered. “Oh no…”

Oh lordie. You weren't kidding, dropping a nasty cliffhanger on us. :)

Killboard:

And Nalia's on the board.

Great chapter man, even for a short one. :)

Oh, and let me know how San Andreas is. :)

Back to KoTOR for me! Lightsabers! Wooooo!

VH

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:30 AM

We will all hope and pray my son.

I hope so. I have no desire to emulate San Andreas behavior and end up making some kind of racial slur to the wrong people. :lol:

KoTOR is just sucking away my energy. Oh man. Manaan, Tatooine, and Kashykk are down and I'm currently fighting my way through the Leviathan. Ho boy

Heh heh heh... it's just -started- to get good, my man. You're in for some "good fun!" as Gromnir would put it.

And here comes the Dominion air strike!

Wait... huh. No air strike? You getting soft on us Alpha?

Ha. Not hardly. But no air strike since Confed actually has local air superiority. Whether they'll keep it or not is another story entirely, of course.

*Looks at Nalia*

Bran: "Definitely not a guy. Most certainly not."

Nalia: "You even have to THINK about that? I think I need to put in a service request to upgrade some of your equipment."

Bran: "Hmm... I meant that as a jab at Alpha's Immy?"

Imoen: "Now you're trying to drag an Imoen into it too? Wait til I tell Jaheira."

Jaheira: "Tell Jaheira what?"

Bran: "Oh lord. To have Jedi powers. Pano (my Jedi scout/sentinel), can you help a brother out?"

Pano *currently battle Sith troopers* "A little busy here!"

;) Huh?

Am I missing something here?

Considering the position of dear old dad, I'm kinda surprised a laser cannon wasn't involved in the official car somehow.

Mmmmm... well... not so much for the senator position, but he was a Confed Marine, so I guess that does make sense... "my other limo's a Humvee" or something like that.

Great quote.

"Less talk, more fight!" I wish I had a sound byte of that line being spoken in Final Fantasy X-2. It's typical Rikku-adorable. ;)

In honor of CDR: "And I want to drink her right up."

(Nod) Someone had to say it. I think he'd be proud of you. :)

Poor Nalia, if she only knew what she was getting herself into, she'd be sitting back at camp, playing with comm gear.

Yeah, probably. Having her dismantle and rebuilt an entire HPG-3000 satellite uplink system would probably be a lot safer.

Oh lordie. You weren't kidding, dropping a nasty cliffhanger on us.

:cry: Yeah, really, right? I'm gonna kill off the main character this early in the game... (snort) Hey... I told you it was a lame cliffhanger. I'm such a lamer. ;)

Oh, and let me know how San Andreas is.

Good. I'd say "great," but that wouldn't be entirely truthful. Just speaking personally, I like the setting of GTA3 the best; Vice City is 2nd, and San Andreas is 3rd. Not to say I don't like the setting, but there was just something a lot more fun about cruising modern-day NY or even 80s' Miami. 90s LA was all about gang warfare and rap music, which I'm not terribly fond of. Thing is, the game basically takes all the stuff from previous games and just gives you -more- of it. San Andreas is actually a state containing three separate cities instead of just one. There are more minigames, more side quests. There's just tons more material and so much more to customize than there was in the previous two games.

So on that basis alone, from a technical standpoint, SA is just a better game than VC or GTA3. Like I said, my only real "problem" is that I'm just not as big a fan of the setting. (Shrug) I suppose I might be a little biased, though, since I'm still new to the game and going through that "I still have no real idea what I'm doing" frustration phase. I can get to any point in Liberty City or Vice City without even thinking about it, but I'm still getting lost in Los Santos, which dampens the fun factor a little.

#4 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:12 AM

1. Short chapter. Very short, actually. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas has, as expected, taken over my existence. Before I disappear entirely, I figured I'd put this up. I just hope that by the time the next chapter gets put up, I haven't started talking like a 90's inner city street punk. :(

back to playing kotor...thinking of picking up bloodrayne next week... :D girls in leather rock... :roll:

wham, bam thank you ma'am... :) (that's really what in special ops is called a shoot and scoot...you did the damage, now its time to advance in the opposite direction before the air mobile reaction force arrives...)

ever seen steve jackson's car wars? its an ancient board game, where you can mount laser cannon on the roof...it predates spy hunter and all those games where you got a car with guns... :D

OHMYGOD!!! immy, and nalia on burbon street, cruising for guys in the middle of mardi gras... ;)

yep, an rpg is designed for anti armor use, or bunker busting, but as the red army can tell you, its FINE for anti personnel use... :)

she's got good instincts...now just a bit of training to get the right reflexes and to get over shoot fright...(most people have to be trained to shoot at people, their higher brains will cause them to hesitate at the wrong time, unless they're trained to overcome that hesitation...)

good reaction...the shaking happens after the shoot...

Imoen shivered. “Oh no…”

imoen has a right to be very worried..even if she's just knocked out, it requires ALMOST lethal force to knock someone out...its darned dangerous, and not like anything on tv...

just sided with vulkars in taris...and it sure was fun...gadon and body guard was incredibly tough...and i decided to not use zaalbar for the assault, just my scoundrel, mission and carth... ;)

well, on to dantooine...where i am about to diddle with my attribute points, using a exploit i've just tested in my last run thru...

pick up jolee first, then blast thru korriban with my scoundrel guardian with 23 points in every attribute slot...(any more and it would be no fun)

and i just might see if its possible to exploit another glitch in xbox, and create a consular with force jump, and stun immunity... :D :D :D

then its time to get bloodrayne...

YAY!!! you better write more soon!!!

or i won't work on

the ballad of the ACS....

as sung by sgt. Buckley... :D

oh yeah, like my new sig?

i am actually taking someone named darth gizka thru the game...

though i thought of "darth darth binks"... ;)

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:18 PM

1. Short chapter. Very short, actually. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas has, as expected, taken over my existence. Before I disappear entirely, I figured I'd put this up. I just hope that by the time the next chapter gets put up, I haven't started talking like a 90's inner city street punk. :D

Whoops, I noticed your comment about the setting for San Andreas… can’t say I’m excited to try it, now. Anyways, it’s quite a wait before the PC version comes out, I suppose.

Huh… I guess I’m a CIR about these things…

CIR = Confused Ignorant Reader

Oh, I’m sure that will be rectified soon. Just stick with…

…yes, just stick around with Imoen. :roll:

I usually hate maps with re-spawning enemies. What? :)

Bloody orcs, that’s just not the right way to treat ladies…

Woot! Nalia gets on the killboard! :D

Imoen shivered. “Oh no…”

Heh heh… uh… medic?!?

just sided with vulkars in taris...and it sure was fun...gadon and body guard was incredibly tough...and i decided to not use zaalbar for the assault, just my scoundrel, mission and carth... :D

I’m planning a game to play through by being a dark-sider from the very start… but I can’t seem to decide on the character concept. I’ve played so far:

Soldier/Guardian
Scoundrel/Consular
Scout/Sentinel /game in progress/

Anyone has a recommendation for a fun and viable combo?

P.s. One that wouldn’t involve any cheats, UU. :D

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:45 PM

back to playing kotor...thinking of picking up bloodrayne next week...

;) I think my next game will probably be Half-Life 2, whenever it comes out. I certainly hope that I don't get sucked back into Counterstrike, though. I don't have enough time in the day as it is. :D Besides, I still have to log some more time in Rise of Nations, my UT-2004 skills are starting to atrophy, I actually -do- want to go through Raven Shield again and -then- grab the Athena Sword expansion pack, and I want to make another run through Civ 3.

Oh, and on top of that, I've got a BG2 game going, and plans for yet another character after that.

And then there's San Andreas. My schedule can't -afford- a new game right now. :D

(that's really what in special ops is called a shoot and scoot...you did the damage, now its time to advance in the opposite direction before the air mobile reaction force arrives...)

Or, we could just call it a

"DRIVE BY!!!"

:D

ever seen steve jackson's car wars? its an ancient board game, where you can mount laser cannon on the roof...it predates spy hunter and all those games where you got a car with guns...

'fraid I haven't heard of it. But I do like cars with guns. :) I was a big fan of Interstate '76 when it came out. I never played the sequel, though. I heard it sucked, even if it did have "Imoen" voicing the main character of that one. :roll:

OHMYGOD!!! immy, and nalia on burbon street, cruising for guys in the middle of mardi gras...

Harlequin: "I got like five thousand beads, dude..."

You know, I'm just thinking... there have been threads about what clothes the gang would wear, what TV shows they'd watch, even what guns they'd use... but I don't think anyone's ever tried to figure out just what kind of cars they would all drive.

Because you're right. The idea of Imoen in the driver's seat and Nalia in the passenger's seat of a rag-top lowrider (The top would be down, of course) is just hilarious. :D

And then maybe Mazzy would be tooling around in a Mini Cooper or something... we could put Keldorn in a Ford Taurus. I'm tempted to put that up on the Water Cooler... ;)

yep, an rpg is designed for anti armor use, or bunker busting, but as the red army can tell you, its FINE for anti personnel use...

So are anti-tank rifles, in a pinch. Last time I played Call of Duty, I was using those things to annihilate German infantry.

she's got good instincts...now just a bit of training to get the right reflexes and to get over shoot fright...(most people have to be trained to shoot at people, their higher brains will cause them to hesitate at the wrong time, unless they're trained to overcome that hesitation...)

Yep. As a military officer, she -has- been trained to actually shoot people, but, of course, since she's Navy, she's never really gotten a chance to use that training. She'll get over it mighty quick, though... she kind of has to. Plus, though, she's got friends, now. :( They'll give her a good kick in the butt if she needs one.

imoen has a right to be very worried..even if she's just knocked out, it requires ALMOST lethal force to knock someone out...its darned dangerous, and not like anything on tv...

Yeah, we might be talking at least a mild concussion, here. Though I might fudge a little since I don't want Falynn an invalid for the rest of the mission. :)

just sided with vulkars in taris...and it sure was fun...gadon and body guard was incredibly tough...and i decided to not use zaalbar for the assault, just my scoundrel, mission and carth...

(Shakes head) You're insane. Two scoundrels and one soldier? That's just... silly!

(any more and it would be no fun)

Cheater. :P

YAY!!! you better write more soon!!!

I will. Promise. But if I don't, I'll dip into my backlog (albeit a small one) and start posting those. :D They could use some polish, though.

And I could use some Polish sausage. Getting hungry. :D

or i won't work on

the ballad of the ACS....

as sung by sgt. Buckley...

Errrrrrrr... didn't Ringo already -give- them a song? ;)

i am actually taking someone named darth gizka thru the game...

though i thought of "darth darth binks"..

Uck! :P

My friend Mike went through as a character named "Darth." He thought he was wonderfully clever. (Snicker)

I don't know... I like Darth Gizka. It's suitably absurd, the same way we nicknamed the 181st Armored Division of the Army of the New Republic the Rampaging Gizka. :(

Shame, though. A whole bunch of the players in the unit didn't even know what a Gizka was. We had to tell 'em. And they call themselves SW-fans. Hmph. :D

But yeah, I don't know what it is, but I never use silly names for my characters... at least not that I can think of off the top of my head. I always try to come up with something that genuinely seems to fit in with the setting. My KotOR characters were Arvin Cole and Arica Veldorn, for example. And the "Arica" name was a slightly obscure reference to the name that Mara Jade used when she was undercover at Jabba's palace. I was almost tempted to call my character Celina Marniss, actually... a name I actually like better. :D

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:57 PM

Whoops, I noticed your comment about the setting for San Andreas… can’t say I’m excited to try it, now. Anyways, it’s quite a wait before the PC version comes out, I suppose.

Well, thing is, San Andreas hasn't grabbed me quite as much as GTA3 or Vice City did, but it's still grabbed me, and it still won't let go. Let me qualify. I may not like it -as- much, but I certainly do like it. My issues with the setting aside, it's still a brilliantly-executed game. And as I said, there's so much content.

If you've ever played GTA3 and then played Vice City, you'll know that Vice City took the same formula and tweaked it by adding new stuff. Vice City let you buy property; Vice City let you ride motorcyles. Stuff like that. San Andreas takes that same core gameplay and adds even more new stuff on top of it. You can actually recruit gang members to follow you around. You can actually start turf wars with other gangs with those recruited gang members following you and helping you engage the enemy. You can walk into a convenience store and play 90s arcade games if you want.

Plus, you get way more customization for the main character. In GTA3, you had a choice of like two skins... more if you made your own outside of the game. Vice City introduced the whole outfit thing, where you could go to various places on the game map and get a change of clothes. San Andreas takes this even further. There are multiple clothing stores and you can buy pieces of clothing and mix and match. Want a green bandana to complete your Gangsta look? Grab one. Thinking about a nice, new pair of black hi-top sneakers? Walk into your local Sub-Urban store and pick up a pair. And it's not just cosmetic, either. Your clothing affects your "respect" level which directly influences how many posse members you can have with you at a time. It also enhances CJ's (The main character) "sex appeal" which is important when you go on dates. Yes. Dates.

I mean, sure, you might think that all these little things are just that: little things. But you might be surprised at how all these little details pile up to create such a convincing, and engrossing experience. And the payoffs are nice, too. Having CJ walk into a gym where you watch him exercise (by tapping a few buttons) for a while actually has rewards. Not only can you increase his in-game running speed and stuff, but you can actually see your character get cut and muscular as he continues working out. It's a small cosmetic change, by just the fact that Rockstar put in that level of detail. I think that definitely deserves some credit.

So, yeah, maybe I'm not terribly big on the Gangster thing, but putting that aside, the game is still top-notch and still worth playing. I don't regret getting it for the PS2. Will the PC version be better? Probably. The controls will be tighter, at least. But I do like the game as it is, and I'm not willing to wait that long. :)

Anyway, yeah... GTA rant over! :D

…yes, just stick around with Imoen.

Yeah... she does tend to have an unhealthy amount of influence on the people she hangs around with.

I usually hate maps with re-spawning enemies. What?

I don't mind them so much, since if I'm playing against computer players, I have no qualms about being a respawn camper. :D

And if you have no idea what that is, it simply means you haven't played enough First Person Shooter games. So just forget about it. :D

Woot! Nalia gets on the killboard!

Hopefully the first of many. :roll:

P.s. One that wouldn’t involve any cheats, UU.

Yeah, that's not happening. :D

#8 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:17 PM

You know, I'm just thinking... there have been threads about what clothes the gang would wear, what TV shows they'd watch, even what guns they'd use... but I don't think anyone's ever tried to figure out just what kind of cars they would all drive.

Because you're right. The idea of Imoen in the driver's seat and Nalia in the passenger's seat of a rag-top lowrider (The top would be down, of course) is just hilarious. :roll:

And then maybe Mazzy would be tooling around in a Mini Cooper or something... we could put Keldorn in a Ford Taurus. I'm tempted to put that up on the Water Cooler... :D

Let's see.

Imoen... Nissan 350Z. Fast, sleek and not too expensive.
Nalia... An MG. Small, sporty, but very upper crust.
Jaheira: A Prius or similar hybrid. Because looks don't matter, but the environment does.
Keldorn: Ragtop 60's Caddy. There will be no argument on this. He's a big ol classic kinda car guy. It'd be one of those well polished, ding free deals too.
Valygar: Actually, I see him as a biker. On a BMW or a Triumph bike.
Edwin: Rolls Royce. And he has a driver
Korgan: Hummer H2. It's big, it's mean and its ridiculous. Perfect vehicle.
Minsc: I'm torn. Either a Dodge Ram 3500 or a Saturn sedan. It's so hard to chose.
Aerie: Toyota Echo or a Saturn.
Mazzy: Mini Cooper.
Viconia: Jet black Mercedes S series.
Cernd: A bicycle
Yoshimo: A WRX or a tricked out Civic (fully loaded, not rice burner)

#9 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:17 PM

P.s. One that wouldn’t involve any cheats, UU.

Yeah, that's not happening. :)

do i really want to build a scoundrel consular, 4 dual with sneak attack IX, and master luck, with force jump and master force immunity of sentinel and guardian?

nah...way too much work...really, way too much setup and careful use of cheats involved... :roll: more fun to bash the genoharian group in tatooine solo...

hulas: so, Darth Darth Binks, you decided to come without any of your friends? that shows a profound lack of intelligence or utter confidence...

Darth Darth Binks: meesa wanga kill you meesa self...

(Mission steps out of the little side door mounted near the gates...)

Genoharian Gunman: RUN SIR!!! RUN!!! ITS A TRAP, THERE'S TWO OF THEM!!!

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:35 PM

Imoen... Nissan 350Z. Fast, sleek and not too expensive.
Nalia... An MG. Small, sporty, but very upper crust.
Jaheira: A Prius or similar hybrid. Because looks don't matter, but the environment does.
Keldorn: Ragtop 60's Caddy. There will be no argument on this. He's a big ol classic kinda car guy. It'd be one of those well polished, ding free deals too.
Valygar: Actually, I see him as a biker. On a BMW or a Triumph bike.
Edwin: Rolls Royce. And he has a driver
Korgan: Hummer H2. It's big, it's mean and its ridiculous. Perfect vehicle.
Minsc: I'm torn. Either a Dodge Ram 3500 or a Saturn sedan. It's so hard to chose.
Aerie: Toyota Echo or a Saturn.
Mazzy: Mini Cooper.
Viconia: Jet black Mercedes S series.
Cernd: A bicycle
Yoshimo: A WRX or a tricked out Civic (fully loaded, not rice burner

Hmmm... so I did some poking around into the Nissan 350Z. It's small and sporty, so for that reason alone, I'd say it works for her. I'm not sure what I think of it, though. I wasn't terribly impressed by the design, myself. (Shrug)

For Nalia, I keep thinking Porsche 911. That's just what comes to mind.

Agreed on the Prius for Jaheira, though. Some kind of electric hybrid. Hell, solar cars if they made 'em.

Keldorn: Yeah. Ok. You're right. Classic Cadillac... lovingly maintained classic Cadillac... maybe white with light blue trim or something...

Valygar: A horse. :)

Edwin: Good call. Or, as Catalina says in San Andreas:

"Ladies don't drive themselves. That's what men are for."

And then, CJ (The main character)'s response: "Oh, my Goodness. Good one, Cesar. Thanks a lot, Homes..." :)

Korgan: I'm not sure he'd -want- a big car... I doubt he'd want to drive something that you'd actually need long limbs to operate. :? I mean, he'd need something small, but with teeth. I can't really think of anything that fits that bill, though.

Minsc strikes me as a pickup truck kinda guy. I'm thinking Ford F-150.

Likewise, Aerie's far too conservative to drive anything other than a very conservative sedan-type... maybe even a station wagon or minivan... my leaning is towards anything manufactured by Volvo.

Mazzy is definitely a Mini Cooper kind of girl. Totally.

Viconia: NICE call. Seconded.

Yoshimo: Honda or Toyota sounds good... something small, yeah, but modded well beyond standard specs. So, yes... tricked out, not rice burner. I hear people have done some wonderful things with Subarus. :D

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

nah...way too much work...really, way too much setup and careful use of cheats involved...

Plus, there's the fact that it's just plain -wrong-... oh wait... that doesn't matter to you, does it? :)

Darth Darth Binks: meesa wanga kill you meesa self...

So, clearly, what you have to do is get the PC version and then work up a Gungan skin for the main character... maybe even re-record the acknowledgement sound bytes as well...

You get on that. :)

#12 Laufey

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:38 AM

1. Short chapter. Very short, actually. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas has, as expected, taken over my existence. Before I disappear entirely, I figured I'd put this up. I just hope that by the time the next chapter gets put up, I haven't started talking like a 90's inner city street punk. :twisted:

For me, it's Sims 2 - controlling their lives in the smallest detail, dispensing favor or disaster at my slightest whim...if only I could remember that *I* need to sleep and eat occasionally...

I *want* one!

Where's my dice?! Oh...sorry. :wink:

Nice one, Nalia! I see she's got good instincts.

Imoen shivered. “Oh no…”

Uh Oh...medic!
Rogues do it from behind.

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:21 PM

For me, it's Sims 2 - controlling their lives in the smallest detail, dispensing favor or disaster at my slightest whim...

Fair enough; personally, I've been involved in rampant city-wide gang warfare, I've been on the back of a motorcycle chasing drug runners through the countryside, I've been knocking old ladies off their bicycles, cackling like a maniac the entire time (No, really.), and oh, yeah, there was that one time I was being chased by a whole bunch of county sheriffs because of some tiny little misunderstanding (I robbed a bank. But I needed the paper!)

I *want* one!

A limo? Or a limo with laser cannons? What would you do with the laser cannons? Hopefully not operate on people with 'em. :wink:

Where's my dice?! Oh...sorry.

* Rolls * 5, 9, 1... (Gasps) Uh oh! Critical failure! :twisted:

Raven: "Oh, you're a bastard."

;)

#14 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:39 PM

1. Short chapter. Very short, actually. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas has, as expected, taken over my existence. Before I disappear entirely, I figured I'd put this up. I just hope that by the time the next chapter gets put up, I haven't started talking like a 90's inner city street punk. :D

Rome: Total War for me. I’ve finally completed the full campaign to unlock all the factions. Can’t decide who to play with now.

3. Lame "cliffhanger" warning.

4. Mini-glossary: :wink:

-----

Yes, you’ve done your job, now it’s time to perform a retrograde manoeuvre and leave the mines and booby traps for the orcish infantry to play with. What, you haven’t laid on any? See if they come to your party again? ;)

A nice red sports convertible with gold plating would suit Imoen; not that I think she can afford it honestly.

I will remember to my dying day sitting in a café on the seafront in Torquay admiring one of these. Then the owner saunters along, with his girlfriend on his arm wearing sandals, swimming trunks and a gold medallion, and leaps over the door to sit in the driver’s seat. It was a really hot and sunny day (we have them in England sometimes) and it had been out in the sun for at least two hours, so the temperature of the seats may have been slightly more than he expected.

Sounds like you might find disengaging a bit of a problem.

Technical note here: I don’t think there’s much shrapnel from an RPG (or anti-tank missile) warhead, they aren’t designed that way. You’d still get a concussion wave, and loose bits of terrain would fly around, but shrapnel wouldn’t increase the warheads effectiveness in its designed role.

“Lousy orcs don’t deserve to play with bombs…” she grumbled as she rolled onto her back and tried to sit up. Nothing hurt, which was either a good sign or a really bad one.

Now they award you the Order of the Reluctant Infantryman (shovel and rifle crossed, over a rubber duck in a trench). Now they’ll have to give you a proper gun.

Imoen shivered. “Oh no…”

So the situation report runs like this. Our commander is down with unknown injuries; a large force of orcs have got to close range; we haven’t got the firepower to stop them; the only people who know this are the COs sister and a navy officer; the lost order given was for a retreat; and Anomen Delryn is now in charge. :twisted: Isn’t life great
;)

-----

Killboard:

#15 Laufey

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:53 PM

A limo? Or a limo with laser cannons? What would you do with the laser cannons? Hopefully not operate on people with 'em. :twisted:

Limo with laser cannons, definitely. And a driver. That way I can be snuggled up with Eddie in the back seat, and order my minions to fire on anybody I find annoying. :wink:
Rogues do it from behind.

#16 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:39 AM

That's such an Imoen thing to say.

But that would be so cool if it did!

DnD or Star Wars?

I'd agree on both counts there.

Great chapter :twisted:
-Blue

#17 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:11 PM

A nice red sports convertible with gold plating would suit Imoen; not that I think she can afford it honestly.

I'm still pushing for the lowrider... any lowrider, really... just because the image it provokes amuses me to no end. :)

Technical note here: I don’t think there’s much shrapnel from an RPG (or anti-tank missile) warhead, they aren’t designed that way. You’d still get a concussion wave, and loose bits of terrain would fly around, but shrapnel wouldn’t increase the warheads effectiveness in its designed role.

There wouldn't be any actual shrapnel packed in with the explosives, but the outer shell of the warhead would fragment and send some kinds of debris flying around. Technically, that's still considered shrapnel. (Shrug)

But yeah, it's not like they stuff ball bearings into the thing along with all the boom-boom stuff.

Now they award you the Order of the Reluctant Infantryman (shovel and rifle crossed, over a rubber duck in a trench). Now they’ll have to give you a proper gun.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg15-e.htm

Probably the 2nd picture down, I'm thinking. :mrgreen:

So the situation report runs like this. Our commander is down with unknown injuries; a large force of orcs have got to close range; we haven’t got the firepower to stop them; the only people who know this are the COs sister and a navy officer; the lost order given was for a retreat; and Anomen Delryn is now in charge.

You know, when you put it that way, it just sounds damned scary. :lol:

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:12 PM

Limo with laser cannons, definitely. And a driver. That way I can be snuggled up with Eddie in the back seat, and order my minions to fire on anybody I find annoying.

Huh. Too bad the cannons can't target annoying people -inside- the car itself... :lol:

#19 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:14 PM

That's such an Imoen thing to say.

It's sarcastic, irreverent, disrespectful... yeah... definitely her kinda thing. :)

But that would be so cool if it did!

Well, now that Nalia's Dad is a Senator, he might actually have to invest in that kind of thing. Political officials these days have armed motorcades, after all... :lol:

I'd agree on both counts there.

Yeah, aside from Ulraunt, I really can't see anyone referring to Imoen as "Lieutenant" for very long. Just doesn't seem right somehow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com