Photo

Adrian Shadows of Amn 233

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:16 PM

Korgan was enjoying himself.

He was paired up with the great lumbering Half-Orc, Krath, for this fight. Neither of them were facing the Great Knights of the Order; instead, they were plowing their way through the lesser ones, en route to the office of the Prelate, on the east side of the vast marble chamber.

But they had barely cut down three of the weaker knights when that worthy burst from his office, in preposterous orange armor that made that other longlimb--whasisname, Keldorn, Korgan remembered--look positively tame.

"Our arrangement is not to be disrupted," the Prelate said in what he probably thought was a grimly impressive voice, then charged directly at the pair.

"Can ye take the others, Orc?" Korgan asked the burly monster-man.

Krath shrugged. "No problem." He turned away and swung his halberd in yet another wide arc. Korgan grinned. Too bad the fool had them stupid "morals"; he woulda made a fine regular member of the crew, Korgan judged.

But with Krath occupying the other human thugs, Korgan could take on the prissy Prelate directly. He leaped forward, screaming in berserker rage.

Whereupon the Prelate calmly whipped his sword in a fast arc, and ripped open Korgan's upper lip and knocked two of his teeth out.

This, of course, only served to make Korgan angrier, but he wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating the Prelate again, even in the heat of his battle-fury. Aided by his enhastened state, both of his axes slammed again and again into the orange armor, seeking a weak spot.

But they didn't find one, and the Prelate's next swipe knocked off his helmet. Undaunted, he flashed his axes upwards at the Prelate's face. The fallen knight blocked easily.

Worried now, and realizing that the fool was in some way negating the advantages of his haste spell, Korgan decided to get fancy. He swung high with both axes again, and as the Prelate went to parry, brought one back down low and cut hard into the armor at a horizontal angle.

Finally he was rewarded with a crunching noise, as the axe bit through armor and into flesh, breaking a rib. The Prelate grimaced, but took a half step back and rammed his sword into Korgan with all his strength.

The sword punched into Korgan's amor, through his chest, and out the other side.

Korgan gasped for breath; not easy to do, as the sword had puncutred his left lung. As he sagged to his knees, he brought both axes around in horizontal arcs into the legs of the Prelate. Chopping through, they cut the fallen Knight off just above the ankles. The Prelate fell over like a chopped through tree; shocked, stunned and bleading to death.

Painfully and with an effort, Korgan turned, only to see two of the lesser knights coming at him. In his dim, fading vision, he couldn't see Krath. Was this it?

But then Blaine came out of nowhere, his new glowing Katana zig zagging like lightning as he cut the Knights to ribbons. The kensai's eyes met Korgan's as the Dwarf continued to stumble forward with his fading strength. The Kensai didn't waste any time asking questions; he just reached out with one hand and yanked the sword out. Korgan gritted his teeth but said nothing.

The Kensai handed him a healing potion, then turned to seek one of the healers for him. Korgan downed the potion gratefully, and while it saved his life, it did not heal him enough to rejoin the fight. So he sat blearily on the cool marble floor, reluctantly sitting the battle out.

From where he was sitting, he could see Viconia wasn't having much better luck than he himself was....
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#2 Guest_Clovis_*

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:51 AM

That statement brings up any number of images. None of them particularly honorable or legal. :)

But they had barely cut down three of the weaker knights when that worthy burst from his office, in preposterous orange armor that made that other longlimb--whasisname, Keldorn, Korgan remembered--look positively tame.

I love Kel, but that armor has GOT to go.

(makes two snaps to the left :D)

The sword punched into Korgan's amor, through his chest, and out the other side.

Korgan gasped for breath; not easy to do, as the sword had puncutred his left lung. As he sagged to his knees, he brought both axes around in horizontal arcs into the legs of the Prelate. Chopping through, they cut the fallen Knight off just above the ankles. The Prelate fell over like a chopped through tree; shocked, stunned and bleading to death.

Thank god for 19 CON, eh, Korgan? :D

Good chapter!

#3 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:55 AM

And I'm running like hell. :D

Nice opener. I think I literally *gulp*ed.

Krath shrugged. "No problem." He turned away and swung his halberd in yet another wide arc. Korgan grinned. Too bad the fool had them stupid "morals"; he woulda made a fine regular member of the crew, Korgan judged.

'them stupid morals' teheee

But with Krath occupying the other human thugs, Korgan could take on the prissy Prelate directly. He leaped forward, screaming in berserker rage.

thugs, indeed

Whereupon the Prelate calmly whipped his sword in a fast arc, and ripped open Korgan's upper lip and knocked two of his teeth out.

"oops"

This, of course, only served to make Korgan angrier, but he wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating the Prelate again, even in the heat of his battle-fury. Aided by his enhastened state, both of his axes slammed again and again into the orange armor, seeking a weak spot.

But they didn't find one, and the Prelate's next swipe knocked off his helmet. Undaunted, he flashed his axes upwards at the Prelate's face. The fallen knight blocked easily.

Uh-oh....get over here Krath or we might have Party Death #2...

Worried now, and realizing that the fool was in some way negating the advantages of his haste spell, Korgan decided to get fancy. He swung high with both axes again, and as the Prelate went to parry, brought one back down low and cut hard into the armor at a horizontal angle.

Finally he was rewarded with a crunching noise, as the axe bit through armor and into flesh, breaking a rib. The Prelate grimaced, but took a half step back and rammed his sword into Korgan with all his strength.

Mommy, I don't feel sog ood

Reciprocal coup-de-grace!

The Kensai handed him a healing potion, then turned to seek one of the healers for him. Korgan downed the potion gratefully, and while it saved his life, it did not heal him enough to rejoin the fight. So he sat blearily on the cool marble floor, reluctantly sitting the battle out.

From where he was sitting, he could see Viconia wasn't having much better luck than he himself was....

:)

Deadly one!

#4 Laufey

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:01 PM

I just bet he was! :D

It makes sense that the Prelate would be a skilled fighter, I think. Yet, I have to wonder if there was something more than skill that made him able to stand against Korgan with such ease, especially since Korgan was hasted. Had he turned Blackguard, perhaps?

Ouch! He's lucky to have magical healing potions, or he'd soon be dead.

That must have been some blow, all right...wasn't the Prelate wearing armor on his legs?

Oh dear...
Rogues do it from behind.

#5 Guest_Bookwyrme_*

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:31 PM

You write a mean cliffhanger.

Interesting pairing, Korgan and Krath. Makes sense that Korgan would respect him--more or less.

#6 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

Gaaaah! I think I need to change my pants. That's terrifying.

Fighter rule #1: Never underestimate your opponent.

Corollary to Fighter rule #1: Never -underestimate- your opponent.

That's not good.

Korgan gasped for breath; not easy to do, as the sword had puncutred his left lung.

At least it wasn't your heart. You;d be dead already.

But then Blaine came out of nowhere, his new glowing Katana zig zagging like lightning as he cut the Knights to ribbons. The kensai's eyes met Korgan's as the Dwarf continued to stumble forward with his fading strength. The Kensai didn't waste any time asking questions; he just reached out with one hand and yanked the sword out. Korgan gritted his teeth but said nothing.

Brynn: See! Everyone loves Kensai! Always there when you need them.

Whoops. At least she has the healing on hand though.

Great chapter, Arcalian,
-Blue

#7 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:09 AM

That brings to mind a few very frightening images.

:twisted: :twisted: *Winces*

Korgan downed the potion gratefully, and while it saved his life, it did not heal him enough to rejoin the fight. So he sat blearily on the cool marble floor, reluctantly sitting the battle out.

He's got to be unhappy about that. :twisted:

Things really aren't going well, are they?

#8 Arcalian

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:44 PM

It makes sense that the Prelate would be a skilled fighter, I think. Yet, I have to wonder if there was something more than skill that made him able to stand against Korgan with such ease, especially since Korgan was hasted. Had he turned Blackguard, perhaps?

I thought about that, but it's simpler to say that the Prelate was himself hastened (boots of speed, anyone?) and Korgan simply didn't put that together while in berserk state.

That must have been some blow, all right...wasn't the Prelate wearing armor on his legs?

Yeh, but so was Korgan around his chest, and that didn't stop the Prelate from running him through. :twisted: Gotta love critical hits, eh?
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#9 Arcalian

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:46 PM

Gaaaah! I think I need to change my pants. That's terrifying.

This opening line seemed to resonate with a lot of people; I haven't got so many responses in I can't remember when.

Brynn: See! Everyone loves Kensai! Always there when you need them.

*smiles and makes eyes at Brynn*

#10 Weyoun

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:53 PM

That happens often, ey? :)

"Can ye take the others, Orc?" Korgan asked the burly monster-man.

Yeah. Morals can really cramp your style. ;)

Yeeppp...

And there goes the Prelate! Down he is.

Grrr, if any of those bastards hurts Vicky...
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com