From the Depths of the Abyss

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soris_*

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:16 PM

From the Depths of the Abyss

Viconia awoke. Her head was throbbing, and the harsh red light of her surroundings didn’t help matters. After getting to her feet, she took a look around. A great pool of lava, spanned only by a narrow stone bridge, lighted the cavern. Taking a step towards the bridge, her vision swam. She blinked to clear her mind and found that a Djin stood, arms crossed, before her.

“I’m sorry, mistress, but I cannot allow you to cross. The one who comes before decreed it.”

“The one who…” Her mind raced. “Irenicus! Ibilth! Let me pass.” She swore, and for a brief moment an image of Soris lying unconscious on a stone floor clouded her mind. She shoved the image away, and took another step. Her vision blurred, and she suddenly felt very tired. The Djin gently lowered her to the ground, and blackness swarmed up around her, and with the blackness came dozens of images. Soris. Irenicus. The tree. Falling. Darkness.

The first feeling that the paladin became aware of was a nauseating fear. He was paralyzed by it, reduced to a quivering mass, and all around him eyes floated and laughed. He tried to reach his sword, but his hands wouldn’t cooperate. He slowly drew his knees up to his chest and hid, trembling in the dark.

Jaheira awoke, frozen in place. She could see nothing. She could hear nothing. Her thoughts raced faster than they should, and all she could do was wait in the dark and pray someone would come for her…one way or another.

Minsc awake to see a dragon devouring a little child. This made Minsc very angry, and he reached for his sword, but he found that his sword was strangely missing, so he hit the dragon instead. The beast let out a whimper like a frightened dog. Minsc was suddenly very confused. Dragons did not whimper. He squinted to get a closer look. Perhaps there really was no dragon at all. The room was so dark. Boo was oddly silent…
Imoen’s staff whirled, meeting the wraith’s greatsword blow for blow. She was able to do little except turn them aside, and he kept coming closer. She heard the obnoxious screech as she missed a block and the great blade deflected off of her stoneskin. The blows were now coming in so fast that she could barely see, much less cast a spell. The pink haired mage gritted her teeth and whirled her staff.
Alternating screams jarred Soris back to life.

“What? You’re already dead!” Imoen cried at the top of her lungs, and the sounds of crashing weapons split the air.

Hurry! The metal one fights Pink-Hair. Eric bounded off, and Soris blindly stumbled after him.

Eric launched himself at the wraith warrior’s armored back. Soris winced as the young tiger’s claws connected with a terrific screech, and his weight caused the warrior to stumble. Imoen’s staff quickly lashed out, and the warrior’s sword spun through the air. The loss of his sword did not stop him. With surprising agility, the warrior reached out and grasped Imoen’s throat. Hurriedly, Soris began to chant and tried to will away the iron fingers that now circled his sister’s neck. He finished his spell, and the room filled briefly with an orangish haze. The wraith warrior let out a low groan of twisting metal as his body began fell apart.

“No! I was so close. So close…” The figure, armor and all collapsed into dust, and the dust was born away by the hot winds that whispered through the cavern.

“Is he gone? Really gone?” Imoen’s voice was small. “That was Sarevok. I saw him.” She stood in silence for a moment, and then regained her composure. Nodding to Soris, the two siblings stepped forward to examine the spot where the wraith had stood. Lying on the ground was a small, black, tear-shaped gem. Soris picked it up, and it sent a slight tingle up his arm. The feeling was not unpleasant. Imoen looked at him quizzically, but did not move to take the jewel. Soris slipped it into a pouch, and they left the cavern in silence.

“Have you seen the others?” Imoen’s voice squeaked a little as she tried to speak, and she still gasped for breath.

Soris shook his head. “I awoke to your screams. I didn’t have time to look for anyone else.” He felt his heart increase his tempo.

“Relax. I’m sure she’s fine. Viconia is pretty resourceful.” Imoen gave her brother’s shoulder a gentle squeeze as they descended another set of stairs.

Soris couldn’t help but flush a little. “Am I that obvious?”

“Yes, but she really isn’t that much better. Uggghhh. What is that smell?” An utterly sickening stench assailed them.

“Greetings Bhaalspawn. It is about time you arrived. I thought I might have to wait for eternity, but now that you are here, we might as well get this over with. Prepare to face a challenge!” A demon stood before them, its eyes glinting wickedly.

Soris stood, frozen, transfixed by the demon’s stare.

Imoen looked the demon in the eye. “What sort of challenge?”

“Oh, I am certain it will be an easy matter for one such as yourself. You need merely to pass through that door and deal with what lies beyond.” The demon smiled sweetly. The effect was absolutely gruesome.

“But what lies behind the door?” Imoen crossed her arms and starred up at the demon.

The demon looked puzzled for a moment but then grinned again. “I’m quit sure you can handle things even though you face a being of immense power. You have slain beasts far greater than it before.”

“Why do we need to kill it?” Imoen tapped her staff against the stone floor as she spoke.

Something wicked flashed through the demon’s eyes, and for a moment it looked as if the beast might strike the girl, but the creature quickly checked its anger. “You are adventurers. That is what you do, is it not?”

“Maybe.” Imoen grinned she was enjoying this now. The demon expected them to fight not to talk.

Confusion ran through the demon, and it stammered a few unintelligible comments before vanishing in a bellow of rage and a puff of foul smelling smoke.

“Well that was fun. Come on. Let’s see what is really behind the door.” Imoen pulled her brother through the open doorway.

Behind the gloomy darkness, a very confused Minsc waited. The ranger’s face cheered considerably when he saw his friends enter the room.

“Minsc is ever-so-glad to see Soris and Imoen, and little Eric too. Minsc swears he saw a fearsome dragon in this room, but there is no dragon. Minsc asked Boo, but Boo is as confused as Minsc. Does Soris see dragons? Perhaps they are hiding behind magic spells?”

Soris looked briefly about and then smiled a little. “No Minsc, I’m sure there are no dragons here.”

Imoen chimed in after him. “Nope. Just one demon trying to play a very nasty trick. We got ‘im though!” She flashed the ranger a broad grin.

“Trickster demons! They shall feel the sting of the Boot of Righteousness. Point the way and valiant bootings will be liberally applied. Minsc is glad to do this, but it is much more fun with friends!” The warrior triumphant cry lost steam. “Tell me Soris. Where have all Minsc’s friends gone?”

“I don’t know Minsc, but seeing as we found you here, perhaps they are somewhere nearby.” Soris frowned, and his heart sank. It was a pretty weak answer.

Boo let out a series of squeaks, and Minsc nodded, his eyes suddenly shone with understanding. “Boo says that Mighty Soris should not worry. Minsc and Boo shall help find all of the others and pretty Viconia too. Lead the way Boo! Lead the way!”

As they left the chamber, Imoen wordlessly pressed an object into the sorcerer’s hand. It gave a familiar tingle as he slipped it into his pouch with its twin.

The instant they entered the next chamber, Soris felt that something was wrong. The air felt somehow heavier, and he could feel an unexplained twinge in the pit of his stomach.

This place reeks of fear. We should be very careful.

The whole party let out a collective gasp as a high squeaky voice sounded behind them.

“RahWWW! Gotcha didn’t I?” A small demon stepped out of the shadows. “Admit it. You were scared.”

Soris spun around and found himself face to face with a small demon who came no higher than his knee. Eric let out a low growl and pounced, knocking the demon to the floor in a flurry of fur and squeaky insults.

“Owww. Owww. Call him of, Mister Soris. Call him off. I’ll make you a deal. I’ll give you something to help you.”

Eric that’s enough! I think you’ve made your point.

The little tiger gave the demon one last nip for good measure. Blagh! Its tastes worse than your old boots.

Hopefully you won’t have to eat him then.

Very funny.
Eric swished his tail in indignation.

Soris grinned, but even the comical actions of his familiar and the little demon failed to take the gnawing fear away.

The demon spoke up. “I know what you are thinking. You are thinking ‘He’s just a little demon. I’m not afraid of him, but you’re still afraid. You’re afraid of what’s in the next room. Now I’m not going to tell you what is in there, but I can give you this.”

He flipped a large cloak out from behind his back. Soris could see Minsc scratch his head, but the big ranger said nothing. Soris turned back to the demon. “What is it?”

“What is it?!” The demon squeaked incredulously, “You mean to tell me that you never seen a nymph skin cloak. Protects against all fear it does. Yes sir, you could walk right up and pet a dragon with this here cloak on. No problem.”

“Nymph skin? Ewww…that’s disgusting.” Imoen crinkled her nose.

“Boo agrees with little Imoen. Brave adventurers have no need of evil disgusting cloaks to kick the butts of evil.”

The demon held the cloak out again, but Soris shook his head. “I have no need of your cloak. Perhaps you should hold on to it. It might come in handy.”

“Ohhhh…I see how it is. Pick on the demon. Just because I’m smaller than average…Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” The tiny demon vanished in a puff of sulfurous smoke.

“Hmmm…fear he says. Well I think I can handle that.” Imoen waved her hand with a flourish and several glowing spheres wafted out. Instantly Soris felt his confidence rise, and he quickly strode into the room.

Imoen rushed past him to examine the lone chest that occupied the center of the chamber. “Oooh it’s a nasty one. No problem. I’ll have it open in a second.” She whipped out her lockpicks and went to work.

Minsc in the meantime set out to explore their surroundings, and he soon found a passage near the back of the room, and as he peered carefully around the edge he caught a glimpse of an enormous floating eyeball. “See the eyes Boo. We should tell Soris. There are too many for Minsc and Boo to face alone.” The ranger and his hamster stalked back across the room.

“Minsc and Boo see eyes in the other room.” Minsc gestured towards the other end of the chamber.

“Do you mean beholders?” Soris frowned when the big ranger nodded. Beholders were never easy. “Maybe we could just…”

BANG! The chest lid burst open, and Imoen grinned. “See. Told you I’d get it.” She grinned and pulled out a strange amulet in the shape of an eye and another of the black tears. She handed the tear to Soris and slung the amulet over her neck. “Say bro, how do I…” She stopped short. Loud voices came from the other room.

“Say Horace, did you hear that?”

“Yeah, Maxwell. It sounds like folks in the next room. Grab Joe and let’s go check it out. It’s been down right boring here since Master Bhaal left. Not that I like him much anyways. He was kind of spooky if you know what I mean, but he sure knew how to liven things up from time to time. I mean those succubi. WOW! Almost made me wish I had, well…err…you know.”

“Enough! It’s bad enough to be stuck here at all much less with a blabbering idiot such as yourself. Joe! You’re the biggest. You go first.”

“Errr, alright Maxwell. You’re the boss.”

The beholders rounded the corner and immediately came face to face with Soris and his party who were frantically preparing for battle.

“See the eyes Boo? Go for the eyes! Raghhhhh!” Minsc leaped towards the beholders, swords in hand.

“Yagh! He’s got a sword! Run boys. Run!” The three eyes turned and began to float in confused panic about the chamber. By chance, the large one of them happened to catch a glimpse of the amulet Imoen wore.

“Hey guys! Girl got amulet.”

“No way.”

“Inconceivable!”

“Come on Maxwell. It’s not so bad. At least she’s a pretty girl. Greetings to you miss. I don’t think we’ve met, but seeing as you are our new mistress and all. I think we should get to know each other real well, if you know what I mean. By the way, I’m Horace. The big guy over there is Joe, and the grouch is Maxwell. Don’t mind him he thinks he runs the show, but really we’re stuck here. The big Bhaal man brought us down here, and then he went off and disappeared, and let me tell you, things haven’t been the same since. As a matter of fact, things were down right dull until just shortly before you arrived. This walking tin can appeared right in the middle of our chamber. We tried to be nice. I even attempted to tell a few jokes, but the fellow just sat there like he was scared or something.” At that moment, the beholder took a pause for a breath and Imoen jumped into the gap.

“Is the man still there?”

“Absolutely, Miss…?”

“Imoen.” The young thief mage gave a small bow. “Soris. It sounds like Keldorn might have ended up with these guys. I’m going to go check the next room. Horace, would you mind leading the way?”

“Certainly Mistress Imoen, and by the way let me tell you it is great to have you here. I can tell. We are going to have a lot of fun together. I know all kinds of stories, jokes, riddles, strange facts, mathematical equations,…” The chattering beholder’s voice became muffled as he rounded the corner into the next room. The other two beholders followed. As they left, Soris breathed a sigh of relief.

Annoying. Eric rolled his eyes.

You said it. Poor Imoen.

He He…Perhaps it isn’t so bad. She probably finds him rather amusing.

Soris chuckled as they followed slowly behind the trio of beholders.

By the time they reached the chamber, Keldorn was on his feet. He still looked a little pale, but he gave Soris a shaky nod. “That was not an experience I’d like to repeat again soon.” Despite the aftereffects of his fear, Keldorn’s voice held firm.

“I’d imagine not.” Soris grinned and rolled his eyes in the direction of the chattering beholder. The entire party left the chamber and three beholders left the chamber.

As they walked down the stairs into the next chamber, Horace continued to chatter with Imoen. Most of the time, the young sorcerer couldn’t make out what was being said, but occasional phrases would pop out.

“You mean, you actually survived a trip through a Drow city?”

“Sometime I’ll have to share my great great great great grandmother’s recipe for chocolate chip cookies…”

“So that handsome, mage-looking chap over there. You know the one who carries the big stick and doesn’t say much. He…he isn’t your boyfriend is he?”

“No, Horace.” Imoen giggled. Soris turned a slight shade of pink.

I can hardly wait for the pretty lady to meet this guy. Look. There’s another demon inside that room. Eric sounded amused.

Wonderful. I wonder what he wants?

A good meal?

Let’s hope not.

The demon spoke with a low rumble. “Ah, so the mortal has arrived. He told me you would come, and that I was to present you with a choice. An absolutely delicious choice I might add…Tell me mortal, do you prefer pain or pleasure?”

Soris blinked. He knew the demon’s question was a trick, but he didn’t know what the right answer would be.

Horace solved the problem. “Aww come on! That’s an easy one. You want us to say pleasure, so I’ll pick pain. How about that?” The beholder finished by sticking out his tongue. Soris groaned and hoped the beholder’s antics did not anger the demon.

The demon gave them a wolfish grin. “The question was not for you, beholder, but for this mortal. Still, the answer matters little. If you would sacrifice yourself for others, choose right. If you wish others to sacrifice for you choose left. For pain choose right. For pleasure choose left.”

“Why should I choose at all?”

Again, the demon smiled. “You will need the treasure contained in the next room if you wish to escape. To gain it, you will have to follow a path. Right or left, it is your decision.”

“What happens if I choose the path of pleasure?”

“Another bears your pain. This time, it will be a rather lovely young woman.”

“Viconia!”

“Perhaps. Perhaps not. Choose wisely.” The demon grinned wickedly and vanished.

For a brief moment, Soris’ mind was steeped in turmoil, but it only took a moment for him to open the right hand door. He would not risk Viconia, or Jaheira, for that matter. As he walked down the corridor leading away from the door, he felt his arms stiffen, and his body grew more sensitive to pain. Several of the magical patterns he had been puzzling out vanished from his mind. Finally, a figure came into view. Jaheira was locked in an unnatural position. She gasped as Soris touched her, breaking the spell.

“Soris, child, you do not know how good it feels to be back under the light, even harsh as it is.”

The young sorcerer took a breath and tried to smile. He ached in half a dozen places, and he was out of breath. “It is good to have you back with us again, Jaheira.”

“Child, are you in need of healing? You look pale.”

“I’ll be fine in a moment. I’m just a little out of breath.” He spotted what he was looking for and snatched a black jewel off the wall behind Jaheira before leading her back to the rest of the party.

Horace was still chattering away when Soris and Jaheira rejoined the party, and Jaheira raised a skeptical eyebrow as she took in the trio of beholders. She looked at Soris. He shrugged and grinned sheepishly.

“Wooo! There’s another one. Tell me mistress Imoen, does your brother always travel with such lovely companions?”

Imoen grinned at Jaheira before introducing her. “Horace, this is Jaheira. Jaheira, this is Horace. The other two beholders are Joe and Maxwell. Joe doesn’t speak much, and Maxwell is just a grouch, but Horace here is friendly.”

Jaheira looked absolutely thrilled when Horace took up a spot between her and Imoen as the party headed for the final chamber.

“Well you see my ladies, it was just old Maxwell and I (Joe was out cold) against a whole army of umberhulks…”

Soris tuned the beholder out.

How long to we have to keep them around us? Eric pleaded fervently.

I don’t know. I hope when we leave this place, we can convince them to return to their homes.

So you think we will get out.

I hope so, Eric.

Do you think…do you think we are dead?

For a moment, an ominous figure passed through Soris’ mind. He saw a man fall and his body turn to dust that was carried away by the wind. In the background he could hear the laughter of his father. No, Eric. We aren’t dead yet. Not by a long shot.

How do you know?

Instinct.

Eric fell silent, but Soris gathered that his familiar understood. Instinct was one thing the little cat understood well.

As they descended lower into the next cavern, Minsc walked beside Soris.

“Minsc and Boo think it is getting warmer, and Boo wishes to know what makes rocks get warmer.”

Before he could answer, a voice drifted down the stairs behind them.

“Ahhh…here we are, old greedy’s lair. Rumor has it he has some pretty powerful treasure, but none of us has ever seen it right guys?” Horace actually paused in his delivery to allow his fellows to respond.

“Nope. No treasure.” Joe went back to floating along in silence.

“None that I’ve seen. He’s probably got it hidden somewhere you don’t want to go.” Maxwell’s response was brusque, and he quickly returned to his sulking.

“Aww, come on Max, you have to know something. You’re the smartest guy I know. You can tell us. Please.” Horace begged and pleaded. “Mistress Imoen, you ask him. Maybe he’ll tell you. He has to answer if you ask him a question.”

Imoen frowned. “Does he really. I’m not sure I like that, but if it is important. Maxwell, is there anything I should know?” She gripped the eye-shaped amulet absently with one hand, allowing her fingers to caress it. A long silence followed. Maxwell looked like he might speak, but then didn’t. His lone eye spoke of years of sadness.

“If there is anything I can do…” Imoen offered gently.

Maxwell suddenly appeared to be rather uncomfortable, and that uncomfortable feeling rapidly grew to anger. “I don’t wish to talk about it. You may be my new mistress, but I don’t want to be your friend. If you need something, ask. I’ll do it, but otherwise leave me alone. Oh, and if you decide to bother me, it best be important. No fair ordering me to talk to you.”

Horace tried to gloss over the situation. “He’s just like this sometimes. Ever since that wizard bound us to the amulet that is…” He leaned a little closer to Imoen and lowered his voice. “Truth be told, he misses his family. He had several little gauths, cute as could be, but the wizard took him away from them. He’s never had a chance to see them again.”

“Horace!” Maxwell was seething.

“Maxwell, what would happen if I destroyed the amulet?” Imoen tried to turn aside the beholder’s anger with another question.

“How the heck should I know? It’s never been done before, but I think it would break the spell. We could all go home. At the very worst it would do nothing. That thing is just a focus. It doesn’t have any real power. It just holds us here. Bhaal took it from the wizard after he killed him. Thought we’d make good servants for a god of murder. Hmmph!”

Before the conversation could go any further, the party reached a large room filled with lava. The lava was spanned by a narrow stone bridge that lead to a distant island. Soris could see faint forms one the island. One lay on the ground. He quickened his pace and set foot onto the bridge.

“SLAM!” A large rock sealed the passageway behind the party, trapping them in the chamber. All around them, the great expanse of molten rock began to boil and seethe.

“We’re all going to die!” Horace’s voice rose in a panicked crescendo.

“Quiet. Crying about it won’t do any good.” Maxwell rebuffed him.

“But I’m too young to die, and there are so many lovely ladies that I haven’t even met! What are we going to do?” Horace was approaching hysteria.

“Uhhh, guys…You float above the ground,” Imoen pointed out.

“Oh, yeah.” Horace gave her a dumb look and floated silently along.

“Oh, so you can be quiet?” Jaheira arched an inquisitive eyebrow at the beholder.

“Oh yes, Mistress Jaheira, I can be so quiet, you won’t even know I’m here.”

“Prove it, Torm willing.” Keldorn crossed his arms as if challenging the beholder.

“It wouldn’t matter. Any enemies we meet can hear you walking from a mile away. Clank…clank…clank.” The beholder stuck out his tongue, and prepared another retort.

“VICONIA!” Soris’ cry sliced through the air like a razor, and he started to run down the narrow path.

“Boo does not think it is wise to go so quickly. Even small animals such as he have trouble with balance when the earth shakes beneath their feet.”

Soris ignored the ranger and reached the island well ahead of the rest of his party.

“It’s mine! You can’t have it. I won’t let you take it!” Viconia possessively clutched a black sword to her chest, while a djinn tried to coax it away from her.

“This cavern is falling apart. Give me the sword. I can use its power to save you and your friends.” The djinn begged the Drow, groveling on his knees before her.

“Never! It’s mine. MINE!”

When Soris got closer, he could see that Viconia’s hands were bloody where she had gripped the blade. Something was wrong. She shouldn’t be acting like this.

It is the blade. It smells evil.
Eric came and stood beside his sorcerer. The rest of the party, all wearing looks of horror and confusion soon followed him.

“Everyone, stay back! Let me do this.” Soris was surprised by the confidence in his words, confidence he certainly didn’t feel. Cautiously, he strode towards the Drow. “Viconia! It’s Soris. Come on. We have to leave.”

“Mine!” She lashed out with the sword.

Soris tried to twist out of the way, but the sword tip nicked his back, searing across the partially healed wounds he had received in the Underdark. The pain was crippling. He fell back with a cry. Jaheira and Imoen began to run towards him.

“Stay back. Do not come closer or I will kill him. You will not take it from me!” Viconia leveled the sword at the fallen form of Soris. By now, blood had begun to seep through the fabric of Soris’ robe. On its sight, the crazed Drow froze. She flung the sword to the ground beside her.

“Soris! Jaluk! Speak to me. Wael! Speak!” She shook him, he looked pale and moaned a little. “He’s losing blood. I can’t save him.”

Instantly, Jaheira was there, softly chanting, sealing wounds and administering potions to restore the young sorcerer’s lost blood. Keldorn moved over and scooped up the blade a second before the djinn could reach it. The djinn fixed him with a murderous stare.

“Give me the blade, paladin. It is dangerous. I am its keeper. It should be in my hands.” The djinn moved towards Keldorn.

Keldorn looked at the djinn with a measure of both pity and disgust. He then took a look at Soris with the two women bent over him. The paladin flung the blade out into the lava. It vanished with a brilliant flash. The room was instantly still. A quiet voice spoke.

“Thank you, mortals, for freeing me. In return, I shall free you. It takes a powerful will and a heart sure of its desires to resist the power of that blade, a power that had bound me for many years. I wish you good luck.” The djinn vanished, and as it did, the stone rolled away from the chamber door. The party could hear its low scraping sound echo from the stone walls.

“Wow! But just another day for you adventuring types I suppose. What’s next?” Horace grinned.

Even Imoen was not amused by the beholder’s reaction the entire situation. She shook her head. The smile vanished from the beholder’s face. The party moved to walk back across the bridge to the entrance to the cavern. Soris groggily began to rise to his feet. Imoen elbowed Viconia. The Drow’s glare could have drawn blood.

“Are you going to help him?”

Viconia glared at the pink-haired mage, but extended her hand to Soris. She did not release it once he was one his feet. They stood, staring at each other for a long moment before dropping hands and hurrying back across the bridge after the others. Just before they reached the end, Imoen stopped the party.

“There’s something I need to do.” She pulled off the eye amulet and flung it into the lava. Its design twisted and deformed as the amulet was destroyed in the intense heat. “There,” she said softly. “Now you can go home to your family.” Her eyes turned to Maxwell.

He stared at her for a moment before a slow tear dropped from his single, large eye to splatter and sizzle on the floor. “Thank you. I will never forget this.”

“I suppose you’ll be going now?”

“Yes, we really should not interfere with what your brother must do now. It just wouldn’t be right. I will repay you some day. Of that I swear. Farewell Mistress Imoen. Until we meet again. Horace! Joe! Let’s go.”

“All right boss.”

“Aww do we have too?”

The trio of beholders vanished. Imoen looked down at the place where the beholder’s tear had fallen. There on stone lay a black glass tear. She handed it to Soris.

Soris trudged out of the cavern following the others. Viconia hung back, staring out over the expanse of seething flame. Her gaze came to rest on the spot where the amulet had vanished. Imoen came and stood beside her, cautiously placing a hand on the Drow’s shoulder. She was surprised when Viconia did not pull away.

Viconia shook her head. “I do not understand you, dalninil. That was an item of power. Few could challenge us with three beholders at our side. It held power, but you destroyed it. I do not understand.”

Imoen squeezed Viconia’s shoulder. “It wouldn’t have been right. They were slaves, with their freedom bound in that amulet. It held power, but that power did not belong to me. I didn’t feel right using it. If I’ve learned anything from this mess, it is the value of freedom. I just couldn’t force them to stay here.”

For a moment, silence hung like a thick cloud in the cavern as the Drow considered the words. At last she spoke. “We should go. The others will be waiting, and I will not delay them because of my weakness.” She walked briskly out of the cavern, leaving Imoen to stand alone to take one last look at the fiery expanse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com