A Cappella Part 131 - Camouflage

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:09 PM

"Okay, this is really creepy," Imoen said nervously. She pulled a strand of hair forward so that she could stare at it. "How do they keep this white hair clean, anyway?"

"Quiet, child, we are nearing the city gate," Jaheira snapped, her tone betraying her own misgivings.

"I can't help it, having white hair makes me feel old. You must feel positively ancient."

Jaheira wiped around to glare at the mage, who was looking at her with suspiciously wide-eyed innocence. The others stifled their laughter, for it would not be wise for other drow to hear them chuckling.

Mazzy grumbled, "What does that matter? I am concerned with far more important issues than grooming."

Jarran said soothingly, "I'm sure you will get used to the illusion."

"That is easy for you to say! How would you feel if the illusion made you as tall as an ogre? How will I fight when everything is out of proportion?"

"You are a skilled warrior, you will manage."

"Hmph. Flattery."

The conversation ended as they approached the large gate of the city of Ust Natha. Several guards snapped to attention, and one snarled, "Stop where you are, strangers! Speak your purpose or die where you stand."

Jarran drew himself up and glared at them. "I am Veldrin of Ched Nasad. Let me pass, or yours will be the blood staining the ground."

"Veldrin? Ah, yes. You are late. Report to Solaufein at the Male Fighter's Society. Heed my words, if you displease him you will be hunted through the streets like a slave. Now go." At the guard's signal, the gate opened.

After they entered, Imoen whispered, "That was a cheerful welcome."

As they passed through a small marketplace, a richly dressed young drow stopped to examine a display of wares. A thin and bedraggled gnome was not prepared for the unexpected stop, and bumped into the young male. The collision was not a forceful one, but it was strong enough to make the gnome drop the parcels he was carrying.

The drow whirled, a scowl twisting his features into a cruel mask. "Clumsy fool! You have spilled my new garments to the ground!"

"I... I am sorry, I will...."

"You will die, oaf!" Disdainfully the youth sent magical missiles toward the terrified slave. The gnome did not have time to scream before he was struck and killed.

An older female approached the male, and said coldly, "How dare you! That slave did not belong to you. I purchased him, and he was mine to dispose of."

"I was tired of his bumbling, Mother. He allowed my new robes to become soiled."

"Foolish brat! You wasted a valuable slave merely because your vanity was insulted? And make no mistake, he was worth more than a mere male child. You will be far less difficult to replace!" She removed a whip from her waistband.

"Mother, no! Please...."

To the group's horror, she began to whip him through the street. Each strike took flesh and fabric with it, and when the youth stumbled, his mother knocked him to the ground. She did not stop her onslaught until the male was dead. She thrust the handle of the whip back into her belt and stalked away.

Imoen turned her back on the bleeding corpse, swallowing hard in agitation. "Nobody even seemed to notice. Nobody cared. Two people are dead, and it doesn't so much as cause a fuss."

Anomen gently placed his hand on her shoulder and gave it a quick squeeze before pulling away. "Be easy, my lady. We must not allow our disgust at their evil to unmask us."

"I... I know. But I never realized... how can they live like this?"

Jaheira said quietly, "They believe that only the strong deserve to survive, and each are determined to be the strong ones at any cost. The children of the Spider Queen have no room for the kinder emotions."

"That's just so sad."

They continued through the city, and saw an inn. Jarran stopped in front of it and said, "Perhaps we should stop for a moment. We will need a place to stay, so we may as well get our rooms now."

Jaheira put up a hand to halt them. "Before we enter, we should discuss the... arrangements."

"What do you mean?"

"There are three females and three males in our group. The expectation of the innkeeper, and of any who encounter us, will be that we are three, ah, couples."

Valygar snorted. "Three females and their lackeys, you mean."

"Lackeys, lovers, bodyguards, call it what you like. But it will seem unnatural if we do not divide into three rooms. We do not want to draw attention to ourselves."

Jarran rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Of course, Jaheira and I can share a room, but...." All eyes turned to Imoen.

The mage looked embarrassed. "Look, can't we rent the rooms and then share however we like?"

Jaheira shook her head. "We can not be sure that no drow will notice. They are suspicious by nature, and are always eager to discover another's secrets."

Jarran looked back and forth between Valygar and Anomen, and finally said, "Valygar, you will share with Imoen. Anomen, you're with Mazzy."

As they went inside the inn, Jaheira murmured, "So you think Valygar is less risky?"

"He has a lot of experience in self-control. Besides, Imoen has been spending more time with Anomen lately."

"Is it your duty to protect her virtue? Perhaps she would prefer to be with Anomen."

"I don't think she is ready for that sort of situation. Besides, I think he was rather relieved as well."

After the party had secured their quarters, they continued on. The Male Fighter's Society was not far, and they entered cautiously. The building was filled with male drow engaged in various activities, from sparring to sleeping. Some of the occupants glared at the strange females.

A tall muscular male drow approached them, and said coldly, "So, you have finally arrived. You are Veldrin, I assume?"

"I am."

"Bah! To think that I have been saddled with coddling weak foreigners. Be clear in this, Veldrin, strangers in Ust Natha rank no higher than slaves until they have obtained the patronage of a Matron Mother. Therefore, if you wish to stay alive, you will follow my orders. I am Solaufein." His eyes swept over Mazzy, Imoen and Jaheira disdainfully. "And do not think that your females may challenge me. I am highly placed for a male, certainly higher than refugee females."

He frowned, and said, "But I must ask, why are you the leader when there are females among you?"

Before Jarran could speak, Jaheira stepped forward. "Veldrin is being tested. I will not have an incompetent fathering my daughters. My house requires strong blood, and a weakling is useless to me."

Solaufein nodded in understanding. He looked at Jarran and said with a sarcastic sneer, "So, you are being considered for breeding. Should I call you warrior or bedwarmer?"

Jarran held his head high and said, "Call me whatever you like. Words are nothing next to steel, and I have sufficient... for the battlefield and for the bedchamber."

The drow laughed. "I like your spirit. That spirit will serve you well, if you know when to quell it. But no matter. One of the Matron Mothers has taken an interest in your arrival and wishes to avail herself of your skills. She has sent a Handmaiden to speak with you. Come, let me shepherd you to her. It would seem I have nothing more important to do."

#2 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:23 PM

"I can't help it, having white hair makes me feel old. You must feel positively ancient."

LOL. That was a good one.

Jarran drew himself up and glared at them. "I am Veldrin of Ched Nasad. Let me pass, or yours will be the blood staining the ground."

Better heed his words.

"You will die, oaf!" Disdainfully the youth sent magical missiles toward the terrified slave. The gnome did not have time to scream before he was struck and killed.

Poor guy, but the drow will get what is coming for him. :D

Imoen turned her back on the bleeding corpse, swallowing hard in agitation. "Nobody even seemed to notice. Nobody cared. Two people are dead, and it doesn't so much as cause a fuss."

happens every day down there.

"There are three females and three males in our group. The expectation of the innkeeper, and of any who encounter us, will be that we are three, ah, couples."

Oh! Didn't think of that.

Jarran rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Of course, Jaheira and I can share a room, but...." All eyes turned to Imoen.

Moment of truth. 8)

"Bah! To think that I have been saddled with coddling weak foreigners. Be clear in this, Veldrin, strangers in Ust Natha rank no higher than slaves until they have obtained the patronage of a Matron Mother. Therefore, if you wish to stay alive, you will follow my orders. I am Solaufein." His eyes swept over Mazzy, Imoen and Jaheira disdainfully. "And do not think that your females may challenge me. I am highly placed for a male, certainly higher than refugee females."

He frowned, and said, "But I must ask, why are you the leader when there are females among you?"

He just had to point that out.

Before Jarran could speak, Jaheira stepped forward. "Veldrin is being tested. I will not have an incompetent fathering my daughters. My house requires strong blood, and a weakling is useless to me."

Taking charge, as usual.

Jarran held his head high and said, "Call me whatever you like. Words are nothing next to steel, and I have sufficient... for the battlefield and for the bedchamber."

LOL :D

Good story, and yes i am slightly addicted.

Hunter

#3 Guest_Dwagon_*

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:21 PM

oohhh...more a capella - yay:)

a really nice installemtn too, you show the callousness of the drow really well...liked the explanation from jaheira as to why jarran was in charge - very funny:)

as always, looking foraward to the next installment...

#4 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:53 PM

"Okay, this is really creepy," Imoen said nervously. She pulled a strand of hair forward so that she could stare at it. "How do they keep this white hair clean, anyway?"

LOL! A good question.

"That is easy for you to say! How would you feel if the illusion made you as tall as an ogre? How will I fight when everything is out of proportion?"

Another good observation :D

"Veldrin? Ah, yes. You are late. Report to Solaufein at the Male Fighter's Society. Heed my words, if you displease him you will be hunted through the streets like a slave. Now go." At the guard's signal, the gate opened.

Well hello to you too.

I don't like drow. (Except Vierna and Weyoun's Viconia, of course). But in general. I get a cold lump in my stomach every time I play through the illusion thingy. Such a cruel culture. It perverts the capasity of compassion (and hence, good) there IMO is in every sentient being from an early age.

To the group's horror, she began to whip him through the street. Each strike took flesh and fabric with it, and when the youth stumbled, his mother knocked him to the ground. She did not stop her onslaught until the male was dead. She thrust the handle of the whip back into her belt and stalked away.

Shit...

Every time I think of the drow, I ask myself the same. I guess it comes from not knowing an alternative.

Jarran looked back and forth between Valygar and Anomen, and finally said, "Valygar, you will share with Imoen. Anomen, you're with Mazzy."

Good thing that he didn't make Imoen to choose.

*snigger* She performs the role with disturbing excellence.

#5 Guest_Rose of Jericho_*

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:56 PM

Do the drow bathe more than surfacers? If anyone knows the trick to keeping white hair clean, someone tell me. My dog is white -- for about a day after he gets his bath.

Bwahaha!

Hmmm, that might be interesting all around. While Mazzy is getting used to fighting as a big person, her opponents will be concentrating on eye-level attacks and won't see the threat from below!

Oh. Crap. Wow, that was intense. Jon really is a good fit amonst these people, isn't he?

Heh. Does Mazzy get offended because no one thought to think of her as a romantic problem?

As they went inside the inn, Jaheira murmured, "So you think Valygar is less risky?"

"He has a lot of experience in self-control. Besides, Imoen has been spending more time with Anomen lately."

"Is it your duty to protect her virtue? Perhaps she would prefer to be with Anomen."

"I don't think she is ready for that sort of situation. Besides, I think he was rather relieved as well."

Nicely done with that. I was wondering how that would divide up. The romantic triangle of Valygar-Imoen-Anomen is a great addition. And it's nice to see Imie getting fought over.

Great installment!

Rose of Jericho

#6 Weyoun

Posted 20 January 2003 - 10:01 PM

Vierna : *sigh* We have to wash every day... And our hair is always filled with grit two hours later. Its like climbing a waterfall, really.

Be glad you weren't to infiltrate a city of giants, then. :D

The conversation ended as they approached the large gate of the city of Ust Natha. Several guards snapped to attention, and one snarled, "Stop where you are, strangers! Speak your purpose or die where you stand."

Laska : Cute... lets hope something runs over him. 8)

As they passed through a small marketplace, a richly dressed young drow stopped to examine a display of wares. A thin and bedraggled gnome was not prepared for the unexpected stop, and bumped into the young male. The collision was not a forceful one, but it was strong enough to make the gnome drop the parcels he was carrying.

The drow whirled, a scowl twisting his features into a cruel mask. "Clumsy fool! You have spilled my new garments to the ground!"

"I... I am sorry, I will...."

Ouch... In a Drow city, your first mistake is usually your last.

Vierna : Glad I grew up on the surface.

Aribeth : Whoa...

Laska : You know, if that happened on Benny Hill, it would have been funny.

Vierna : That's because Benny Hill can fall of a cliff and walk away...

Jaheira said quietly, "They believe that only the strong deserve to survive, and each are determined to be the strong ones at any cost. The children of the Spider Queen have no room for the kinder emotions."

It's social darwinism at its worst... pray our human society never gets to this point.

Viconia : Well, that's a rather, ah, conservative approach...

Yeeeeeesssssssssss? :D

Laska : Don't trust your little sister, eh?

Aribeth : More or maybe he just doesn't trust Anomen.

Vierna : No comment...

Solaufein nodded in understanding. He looked at Jarran and said with a sarcastic sneer, "So, you are being considered for breeding. Should I call you warrior or bedwarmer?"

The drow laughed. "I like your spirit. That spirit will serve you well, if you know when to quell it. But no matter. One of the Matron Mothers has taken an interest in your arrival and wishes to avail herself of your skills. She has sent a Handmaiden to speak with you. Come, let me shepherd you to her. It would seem I have nothing more important to do."

Cute...

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

P.S. Any word of the tea yet?
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Laufey

Posted 20 January 2003 - 11:20 PM

Mazzy grumbled, "What does that matter? I am concerned with far more important issues than grooming."

Good point! :D Makes me wonder though...if it is just an illusion, should it really affect her own perception of things? Or does it somehow implant the illusion in her mind of being taller? Sorry, just me rambling to myself. 8)

Certainly setting the mood nicely here...

"That's just so sad."

Yes, it really is.

Another very good point! And Jaheira is practical, it makes sense that she'd be the one to suggest this.

LOL! He might well be. The Drow City is hardly a good place for your first time together.

Oh, *very* nice save! :D

And I like his attitude here! :)
Rogues do it from behind.

#8 Arcalian

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:31 AM

I can only hope, when I get that far, to write the Ust Natha segments as well as you.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#9 Guest_Aurelius_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 02:42 PM

As usual, a great little piece of work...Makes me really want 2 leave my Holy Avenger and pick up the pen

#10 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:31 PM

LOL. That was a good one.

Imoen has to get her little jokes in.

Better heed his words.

Jarran: It's easy to act like a drow. I just pretend I'm Sarevok.

Sarevok: What?!

Poor guy, but the drow will get what is coming for him. :)

He most certainly will.

happens every day down there.

Sad to say, it probably does.

Oh! Didn't think of that.

I figured that the way the drow interact, that would be the expectation.

Moment of truth. :evil:

lol

He just had to point that out.

I always wondered why it wasn't brought up in the game.

Taking charge, as usual.

She can't help it, it's just her nature.

LOL :-D

Translation, I don't take crap from anybody.

Good story, and yes i am slightly addicted.

Hunter

Thanks! Hmm, does that make me a pusher?

#11 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:33 PM

oohhh...more a capella - yay:)

Glad to be of service.

a really nice installemtn too, you show the callousness of the drow really well...liked the explanation from jaheira as to why jarran was in charge - very funny:)

Jarran: I'm not too sure I liked it (grumble, grumble).

as always, looking foraward to the next installment...

Thanks!

#12 Guest_argan_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:42 PM

Great chapter! Already looking forward to the next one.

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:50 PM

LOL! A good question.

And I will cheerfully admit that this line is a homage to Weyoun's Little Vierna stories. Viconia has bemoaned the difficulty of keeping Vierna's hair clean and white a number of times.

Another good observation :)

Poor Mazzy, everything is changed. The angle of strike, her weapon reach, her ability to cross distances quickly....

Well hello to you too.

I don't think the drow have heard of southern hospitality.

I don't like drow. (Except Vierna and Weyoun's Viconia, of course). But in general. I get a cold lump in my stomach every time I play through the illusion thingy. Such a cruel culture. It perverts the capasity of compassion (and hence, good) there IMO is in every sentient being from an early age.

I'm the same way. I've never been able to understand the fascination with them, in both fanfic and published fiction. It seems like two-thirds of the FR novels involve drow in some way.

Shit...

To them, children are just commodities.

Every time I think of the drow, I ask myself the same. I guess it comes from not knowing an alternative.

And from oppressively enforced peer pressure. Cross the line, and you're dead.

Good thing that he didn't make Imoen to choose.

He could tell she was already uncomfortable, so he wouldn't have forced that on her.

*snigger* She performs the role with disturbing excellence.

Jaheira: Thank you, leadership does come naturally.

Jarran: Hey! I'm still in charge here.

Thanks for commenting!

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:51 PM

Great chapter! Already looking forward to the next one.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:58 PM

Do the drow bathe more than surfacers? If anyone knows the trick to keeping white hair clean, someone tell me. My dog is white -- for about a day after he gets his bath.

I'm afraid I'm no expert on the drow, but I doubt they roll around like dogs do. :)

Bwahaha!

That's our Immie.

Hmmm, that might be interesting all around. While Mazzy is getting used to fighting as a big person, her opponents will be concentrating on eye-level attacks and won't see the threat from below!

It is definitely a strange situation all around.

Oh. Crap. Wow, that was intense. Jon really is a good fit amonst these people, isn't he?

They certainly have no trouble getting along.

Heh. Does Mazzy get offended because no one thought to think of her as a romantic problem?

No, not really. Her heart still belongs to Patrick.

Nicely done with that. I was wondering how that would divide up. The romantic triangle of Valygar-Imoen-Anomen is a great addition. And it's nice to see Imie getting fought over.

True, especially since she gets very little attention of any kind in the game.

Great installment!

Rose of Jericho

Thanks!

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:25 PM

Vierna : *sigh* We have to wash every day... And our hair is always filled with grit two hours later. Its like climbing a waterfall, really.

Hehehe, you realize, don't you, that this line was a homage to your little Vierna stories?

Be glad you weren't to infiltrate a city of giants, then. :)

LOL

Laska : Cute... lets hope something runs over him. :evil:

Like a group of angry adventurers.

Ouch... In a Drow city, your first mistake is usually your last.

Vierna : Glad I grew up on the surface.

Especially for someone as lowly as a slave.

Aribeth : Whoa...

Laska : You know, if that happened on Benny Hill, it would have been funny.

Vierna : That's because Benny Hill can fall of a cliff and walk away...

And tissue and blood wouldn't have been flying everywhere on Benny Hill.

It's social darwinism at its worst... pray our human society never gets to this point.

I shudder to think.

Viconia : Well, that's a rather, ah, conservative approach...

*snicker*

Yeeeeeesssssssssss? :-D

Imoen: Hey!

Laska : Don't trust your little sister, eh?

Aribeth : More or maybe he just doesn't trust Anomen.

Vierna : No comment...

Well, *cough* Jarran sees Anomen as younger and more, er, hormonally challenged.

Cute...

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

P.S. Any word of the tea yet?

Not yet, but I am eagerly waiting.

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:35 PM

Good point! :) Makes me wonder though...if it is just an illusion, should it really affect her own perception of things? Or does it somehow implant the illusion in her mind of being taller? Sorry, just me rambling to myself. :evil:

I thought about it long and hard, because illusions are tricky things. But one school of thought is that an illusion is sort of another reality, which is why they can do damage. Since Adalon is a very powerful dragon, I assumed that her magic would be powerful, so her illusions are almost polymorph spells. The group does not change in that they still have the same skills and abilities as their normal selves, but their appearances, including speech, are almost physically changed.

Certainly setting the mood nicely here...

That was one game event I simply had to use. It was a perfect example of drow society.

"That's just so sad."

Yes, it really is.

Sometimes I want to reform the drow... and other times I wish for a battalion of paladins with machine guns. But that's just me.

Another very good point! And Jaheira is practical, it makes sense that she'd be the one to suggest this.

Yes, she is the one who usually thinks of the little points that make the rest work more smoothly.

LOL! He might well be. The Drow City is hardly a good place for your first time together.

I don't think the spider, drow, mind flayers and beholders create a very romantic mood.

Oh, *very* nice save! :-D

And perfectly logical from a drow point of view.

And I like his attitude here! ;)

Jarran isn't going to let anyone get the better of him, verbally anyway.

Thanks for commenting!

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:37 PM

I can only hope, when I get that far, to write the Ust Natha segments as well as you.

:evil:

I'm sure your version will be quite different... especially the Phaere offer. :)

#19 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:39 PM

As usual, a great little piece of work...Makes me really want 2 leave my Holy Avenger and pick up the pen

Ooooh, please do, please do. We miss you!

#20 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 21 January 2003 - 06:51 PM

I've always liked the drow section - it's my favourite part of the game (not sure what that says about me as a person... ;)) It's very atmospheric.

Loved this chapter - makes you realise how hard it must be to masquerade as a drow. It's lucky they have Jaheira with them, or they'd get exposed pretty quickly I should think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com