The Black Omegas, Ch XV: Bolter! Bolter! Bolter!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 05:53 AM

Ok, folks… here’s your early morning bowl of note-meal:

1. I'm... gonna have to explain what a "bolter" is, aren't I?

2. Like I said in my responses to the comments you guys made last chapter, the current situation doesn't lend itself overly well to in-depth character studies, and I'm sorry... so while this is largely an Aerie chapter (Gasp! Yeah, she made it...) I don't really think there's all that much we can "learn" about her this time out. :wink:

3. I'm reactivating the "Lynching Line," just in case. :shock:

XV: Bolter! Bolter! Bolter!

Sabre 300 Alpha, designation: Sideshow One
Combat Air Patrol around TCS Gallante
1419 Hours, Synchronized Mission Time

“Tyler… Tyler, y-you… all right, back there?”

Seraph tried to turn in her seat, hoping to get a glimpse of her gunner’s status, but her body refused to cooperate. Her vision was blurry, and she couldn’t seem to bring anything into focus. Every time she tried, she got dizzy. Her neck hurt, a dull ache that didn’t seem to be coming from any specific injury that she could pinpoint, and she felt largely numb from the waist down; there was a slight, odd tingling in her left knee, but she couldn’t determine much more than that. Her arms felt sluggish as well, and her shoulders were sore from where her crash harnesses had hauled on her, keeping her from hurtling forward through the front of her fighter’s canopy.

Her mouth was dry, and her tongue seemed swollen and thick as she tried once more to talk. The words came out in a weak slur, sounding more like a groan than any known language, and there was an unusual, but vaguely familiar, coppery taste in her mouth.

Right.

She must have bitten her tongue.

The only instrument display still operational was blinking in and out, the images fuzzy and distorted. Without exception, however, they were all a rather unhealthy shade of red, indicating catastrophic system-wide failures. It was a small miracle the ship hadn’t already disintegrated. Not that she was ungrateful, but she was rather curious as to just how that miracle had been accomplished.

She managed to turn her head slightly to her side, catching a glimpse of her shredded starboard wing through the clear material of the fighter’s canopy. Drifting just off the battered section of aeroframe was a small cloud of debris from what appeared to be an orcish torpedo. The warhead section was clearly intact. Had it exploded, it would have likely vaporized everything in the immediate vicinity. The fuselage behind the warhead remained intact for a couple of feet, but everything beyond that had practically disappeared. The propulsion section was gone, any surviving chunks probably lodged in the Sabre’s hull.

Seraph let her hand fall away from the flight stick; her fingertips brushed against her thigh. She moved lower, reaching under the seat for something, and after a second or two of blind groping, her fingers finally closed around a metal ring… and hesitated.

With a sigh, she released it. She was pretty sure she had some kind of neck or back injury. Popping the ejector seat would probably do her in. And even if it didn’t, opening the fighter’s interior to hard vacuum might just kill Crewman James, if he wasn’t dead already. If he had been conscious, and capable of toggling his own ejector system, she might have risked it, but she wasn’t about to leave the poor kid all by himself in a half-dead, derelict ship – especially since her lousy flying had gotten them both into this mess in the first place.

Her hands were still moving like lethargic snails, but they were functioning… if barely. Her small, lightly calloused fingers wrapped around the throttle controls, and she gently tried to ease power back into the engines. Most didn’t respond, but she thought she felt a faint shudder pass through the stricken ship as one of the Sabre’s four thrusters powered up slowly. The fighter was tumbling slowly on all three axes, so she applied just enough juice to stabilize the drift and get the ship moving in something faintly resembling a straight line. She boosted the output up to about 15%, not daring to go any higher for fear of detonating the one good engine she had left.

The battle still raged outside, though it had drifted a good deal away from her position. She imagined the rest of her pilots were still trading shots with their orc counterparts and were oblivious as to what’d happened to her. She almost wished they -were- out there worrying about her, but discarded that notion almost as soon as it’d appeared. One missing Sabre wasn’t very high on the list of anyone’s priorities at the moment. In front of her, the sleek silhouette of the Gallante was still intact, knifing through the black of space. While there were blast marks all across her hull, the white eight-pointed Star of the Confederation was still intact on her prow. Painted next to it in bold letters were the ship’s name, and the Navy motto: Sic itur ad astra (Such is the Path to the Stars.) Despite the precarious nature of her own situation, the sight brought a faint smile to her face.

That smile turned into a grimace and clenched jaw as a loud burst of static and the high-pitched squeal of feedback assaulted her sensitive ears.

Static.

Feedback.

The comm system was still intact.

“Flight Control… Flight Control, are you receiving?” she rasped into the mike, feeling lonely and desperate for an answer.

“Acknowledged, Sideshow One, go ahead.”

She heaved a sigh of relief, then uncrossed her fingers (She hadn’t even known they’d been crossed in the first place) “Damage level critical, Control…”

“Copy. Do you wish to declare an emergency?”

The question had her momentarily, but completely, taken aback. “Er… yes!

There was another burst of static through her earphones, and she was afraid she’d just lost communications capability entirely, but then a message began coming through quite clearly on another frequency. “This is Gallante Flight Control to all units. Sideshow One is attempting emergency landing… all pilots, stand clear!” Whoever it was on the other end of the line clicked back to her. “Ok, Sideshow One, you’re cleared for immediate landing... crash crews are on standby, call the ball…”

She swallowed. Hard. “R-Roger, ball…”

Seraph wrestled with the flight stick as she eased her wounded ship closer and closer to the Gallante’s hangar bay. With only one engine active, the ship kept wanting to drift to one side or the other; keeping the fighter from spinning off into space was becoming harder and harder. The hydraulics were shot to hell, computerized assists were offline, and most of the control surfaces weren’t responding properly.

Unfortunately, she was committed now. Only a few hundred meters from the opening of the hangar bay, there was no time to back out.

“You’re drifting too far starboard, Sideshow One… correct immediately.” The voice on the other end of the comm line was firm, but gentle – reassuring and confident, both. Understandable. You always wanted the guy talking you through a rough landing to be both cool and calm. She nudged the ship in the right direction, then began to ease back on the throttle as her one functioning display clicked off the distance.

300 meters…

She could make out the faint blue shimmering of the hangar’s magnetic containment system. The magcon field was the type of thing that people started taking for granted one second after it had been invented. Everyone used them, no one knew how they worked. To most people, how the fields could manage to keep little molecules (like air) contained, while still allowing something as huge as a 15-ton Sabre heavy fighter to pass through, was an utterly unfathomable mystery.

200 meters…

“Little high, Sideshow One… bring your nose down a tad.”

100 meters…

“All right… power down a bit more…”

50 meters…

“Flare now, pilot…”

The Sabre’s nose drifted upwards, though the ship as a whole was still tracking generally “down.”

“25 meters… 10… that’s it… watch the transition…”

The Confederation fighter passed through the magnetic field, going instantaneously from pure vacuum to a normal density atmosphere. The switch was worse than expected, and everything started coming loose. The ship’s wings had been so badly damaged, that the twisted nubs utterly ruined any aerodynamic capability the fighter had once possessed. The air tore and pulled at the injured craft, nearly sending the ship plowing into a nearby bulkhead. A streak of paint scraped off on the wall marked the Sabre’s passing.

The one functional engine flared as the ship’s pilot tried desperately to compensate; she ended up overcompensating, instead, applying too much thrust. The fighter pitched up, the deployed tailhook skimming just over the first tripwire and failing to catch.

One word, emphatically repeated three times blared over the loudspeakers. “Bolter! Bolter! Bolter!”

Disaster was a hair’s breadth away and getting jumpy.

The crew members working in that area of the flight deck scrambled out of the way as the damaged Sabre kicked up, coming in too fast for a proper landing.

Realizing her mistake, Seraph cut her engines entirely and forced the craft’s nose down. The landing skids slammed into the metal deck, the impact nearly bouncing the fighter back up, but the Sabre’s pilot was leaning on the controls, dead-set on keeping the ship grounded. Sparks shot up from the deck as steel grated against steel. The horrible shrieking noise of metal on metal assailed the entire hangar bay as the fighter tried to grind itself to a halt. It was shedding speed fast, but not fast enough as the opposite wall began to loom larger and larger in front of it.

One of the flight deck crews, in a remarkable show of audacity, rushed to intercept the careening fighter, hastily erecting a tangle of crash webbing in front of the out-of-control Sabre. It plowed into the nylon and rubberized net, the force of the impact tearing some of the thick straps, but while some ripped apart, the rest held. The ship finally came to rest, smoke trailing from the engines, columns of steam rising from exposed surfaces, and a spread of tiny fires caused by thrown sparks strewn in its wake.

The crews were swarming over the wreck in seconds, hosing the frame down with fire suppression foam, hauling in heavy machinery, and maneuvering ladders into position. The emergency carbon dioxide systems kicked on, venting CO2 into the affected areas to help stifle the flames. Backup lighting left portions of the deck tinged blood-red, even as the regular illumination flickered, and in some places, died completely. Sirens and klaxons blared, echoing throughout the bay, summoning crew members from other posts to mob the deck and help out wherever they could.

This had been the third botched landing Imoen had seen since Commander Pierce had been incapacitated and she had been forced to assume command of the Gallante’s starboard hangar bay. Neither of the other two had been as outwardly messy as this one. She grimaced, hoping that this ship’s flight crew was still alive, even if the craft itself was a complete write-off. The pilots and gunners of the last two wrecks hadn’t been quite that lucky. She was just about to order a few more hands over to the area to help out, when she caught sight of the names stenciled on the fighter’s fuselage, right underneath the cockpit canopy:

Crewman Tyler “Nightstalker” James
Flight Lieutenant Aerie “Seraph” Ilaren

Imoen had been holding a heavy, industrial-grade hydrospanner in her hands. It clanked loudly as it hit the deck; she didn’t notice. “Oh no…”

#2 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:37 AM

Yay!!!

not since i passed my ultramarine qualification exam for the empire of man...and was issued my bolter rifle...urp...wrong kind... :shock:

poor tyler.. :D

she probably...urm...urm...needs to change her underwear too...

The only instrument display still operational was blinking in and out, the images fuzzy and distorted. Without exception, however, they were all a rather unhealthy shade of red, indicating catastrophic system-wide failures. It was a small miracle the ship hadn’t already disintegrated. Not that she was ungrateful, but she was rather curious as to just how that miracle had been accomplished.

wow...well built and overengineered...signs of a good combat craft, it can survive punishment...reminds me of the old sabres from the korean war, gooney birds, and the p-39(?) thunderbolts...

She managed to turn her head slightly to her side, catching a glimpse of her shredded starboard wing through the clear material of the fighter’s canopy. Drifting just off the battered section of aeroframe was a small cloud of debris from what appeared to be an orcish torpedo. The warhead section was clearly intact. Had it exploded, it would have likely vaporized everything in the immediate vicinity. The fuselage behind the warhead remained intact for a couple of feet, but everything beyond that had practically disappeared. The propulsion section was gone, any surviving chunks probably lodged in the Sabre’s hull.

darned sub-standard lowest bidder junk!!! course, it saved her life...wait a second, that SHOULD have happened...wouldn't anti-ship torpedos have a smart proximity fuze to detonate only if it hits a object of sufficient mass?

think about it, a ship puts out a lot of flying stuff as point defense...so a torpedo should have a sort of mass discriminator to prevent premature detonation in case it runs into space junk..and a sabre fighter masses too low to detonate a anti-ship torp... :D

Her hands were still moving like lethargic snails, but they were functioning… if barely. Her small, lightly calloused fingers wrapped around the throttle controls, and she gently tried to ease power back into the engines. Most didn’t respond, but she thought she felt a faint shudder pass through the stricken ship as one of the Sabre’s four thrusters powered up slowly. The fighter was tumbling slowly on all three axes, so she applied just enough juice to stabilize the drift and get the ship moving in something faintly resembling a straight line. She boosted the output up to about 15%, not daring to go any higher for fear of detonating the one good engine she had left.

urm...wouldn't only one thruster burns be off axis??? it should make her tumbling worse...should have compensated with small maneuvering thrusters... :wink:

Seraph wrestled with the flight stick as she eased her wounded ship closer and closer to the Gallante’s hangar bay. With only one engine active, the ship kept wanting to drift to one side or the other; keeping the fighter from spinning off into space was becoming harder and harder. The hydraulics were shot to hell, computerized assists were offline, and most of the control surfaces weren’t responding properly.

urm...sorry, alpha...in atmosphere, you can compensate for losing engines by adjusting flaps and rudder to compensate for the off center thrust, but you can't do that in space...and control surfaces wouldn't work in vacuum... :(

She could make out the faint blue shimmering of the hangar’s magnetic containment system. The magcon field was the type of thing that people started taking for granted one second after it had been invented. Everyone used them, no one knew how they worked. To most people, how the fields could manage to keep little molecules (like air) contained, while still allowing something as huge as a 15-ton Sabre heavy fighter to pass through, was an utterly unfathomable mystery.

probably some sort of motion discriminator... :wink:

The Confederation fighter passed through the magnetic field, going instantaneously from pure vacuum to a normal density atmosphere. The switch was worse than expected, and everything started coming loose. The ship’s wings had been so badly damaged, that the twisted nubs utterly ruined any aerodynamic capability the fighter had once possessed. The air tore and pulled at the injured craft, nearly sending the ship plowing into a nearby bulkhead. A streak of paint scraped off on the wall marked the Sabre’s passing.

what was her relative velocity??? urm...does it really make sense to pressurize a flight deck during combat operations??? oxygen=fires... :)

The one functional engine flared as the ship’s pilot tried desperately to compensate; she ended up overcompensating, instead, applying too much thrust. The fighter pitched up, the deployed tailhook skimming just over the first tripwire and failing to catch.

urm...tailhook??? in a space fighter??? not deployable nets??

One word, emphatically repeated three times blared over the loudspeakers. “Bolter! Bolter! Bolter!”

so that's what it means...

One of the flight deck crews, in a remarkable show of audacity, rushed to intercept the careening fighter, hastily erecting a tangle of crash webbing in front of the out-of-control Sabre. It plowed into the nylon and rubberized net, the force of the impact tearing some of the thick straps, but while some ripped apart, the rest held. The ship finally came to rest, smoke trailing from the engines, columns of steam rising from exposed surfaces, and a spread of tiny fires caused by thrown sparks strewn in its wake.

there's the nets...and this is why a pressurized flight deck is a bad idea...

Imoen had been holding a heavy, industrial-grade hydrospanner in her hands. It clanked loudly as it hit the deck; she didn’t notice. “Oh no…”

hmmm...seems they have "history"...

great chapter, sorry about the nitpicking...

more please!!! :( :( :D

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:09 AM

Yay!!!

Huh... you're excited? I hate note-meal. I think it tastes like garbage...

not since i passed my ultramarine qualification exam for the empire of man...and was issued my bolter rifle...urp...wrong kind...

Er... yeaaaaah... :(

(Sigh) I get the feeling I'm going to have to come up with a "Primer on Carrier Deck operations" or some such thing... that might be hard.

poor tyler..

If it makes you feel any better, he's not confirmed dead yet... you know how it is in these things... you don't assume anyone's dead unless you see a corpse or a huge explosion...

Shhhh...

:shock:

wow...well built and overengineered...signs of a good combat craft, it can survive punishment...reminds me of the old sabres from the korean war, gooney birds, and the p-39(?) thunderbolts...

Personally, if I'm going to be flying something, I'd like to know that it's money well spent... give me all the safety features you can pack on there, I don't care how much it costs... especially since I'm not actually paying for it. :wink:

And yeah, the old F-86s were pretty solid, and I just like the idea of six 50 cal machine guns under my wings, but c'mon... let's be honest... the Mig 15 was probably a better plane. Faster, a little more nimble, and more effective at higher altitudes, something which Mig pilots made some real smart use of.

Still, I'll admit, the fact that a Mig 15's tail assembly might just come loose for no reason during a sharp turn kinda puts me off on 'em. :)

And another example for our list: the A-10... she's ugly as sin, but it's one of the few instances where I wouldn't mind sitting in a titanium bathtub that couldn't move worth a crap.

darned sub-standard lowest bidder junk!!! course, it saved her life...wait a second, that SHOULD have happened...wouldn't anti-ship torpedos have a smart proximity fuze to detonate only if it hits a object of sufficient mass?

Depends... it could also have been one of those instances where the safety mechanisms didn't arm the warhead until after it had traveled a certain distance... entirely possible that the torpedo didn't go far enough from the corvette that launched it...

At least that's my rationale... though yours is also quite viable. :(

urm...wouldn't only one thruster burns be off axis??? it should make her tumbling worse...should have compensated with small maneuvering thrusters...

No, you're right... that's just the trick... if you're working with a four-engine setup, two on the left side of the craft and two on the right, a single engine burning would cause you to spin off-axis. If you were spinning left, then burning the left engine might just counter that spin, but then you'd start pulling towards the right as the engine burned more. So yes, she's got tiny maneuvering thruster banks built all along the hull... most of them were in the wings, which are trashed, but some are built along the main fuselage. As you said, well built and overengineered, meaning the designers intended this thing to be able to fly (even if badly) with no wings, one engine, huge fractures in the frame, etc. etc.

So yes, she's compensating with thrusters...

Incidentally, to address your later point about control surfaces, I know that usually means rudder and flaps and ailerons... and yes, obviously, those won't work in vacuum since there's no air to work against. I was just using them as a catch-all term for like thruster nozzles and crap. But it's a good point that you bring up... 's a good catch. :D

probably some sort of motion discriminator...

Except wouldn't, say, a stray hydrogen atom, moving really fast, set off the thing? I mean, sure, you could configure it to only trigger for something really heavy like a big ol' Sabre... or a shuttle or a body or something...

But then you couldn't throw your empty soda cans out the "window"... :wink:

what was her relative velocity??? urm...does it really make sense to pressurize a flight deck during combat operations??? oxygen=fires...

Well, bear in mind that she has to be moving relatively fast as she goes through the curtain... if she's not, as soon as her Sabre crosses the magcon field and starts getting pulled by the Gallante's artificial grav, it'll drop like a rock. Plus, again, we've got that whole deal with the wings being pretty much gone and planes don't fly well without those. :(

As for keeping the flight deck pressurized, well, that's part of why the magcon field is in place... so the deck can always stay pressurized. Yes, that does make fire a distinct possibility, but atmospheric suits are still bulky affairs. You can't really have your deck crews working effectively if they're loaded down with heavy suits, oxygen tanks and wearing big, clunky gloves. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want guys who couldn't move their fingers properly handling several kilotons of nuclear ordnance. :D

Mostly an asethetic choice, actually... though I think having heavy arrestor cables strung across the deck would still be a workable solution. But yeah, the crash nets do show up.

Yep. Bolter: when the hook fails to catch the cable... it's basically a warning to the pilot: you're screwed... or mostly screwed as the case may be...

You don't gotta tell -me- this stuff... :wink:

They're shipmates and friends... get your mind out of the gutter, Penguin-Boy... :wink:

No, it's quite all right, actually... I tend to be really nitpicky towards myself about details like this... it's nice to have someone who can catch whatever I missed... and apparently I missed more than a few. :wink:

:D

Anyway, yeah, trying to reconcile all the "physics" and stuff isn't all that easy a lot of the time... one of the hard parts about writing sci-fi... you gotta at least make the "sci" plausible... I think fantasy is sometimes a little easier since "magic" gives you a little more leeway than "technology" does... (Shrug)

more please!!!

You'll have your "hot LZ" chapter in a bit... I'm working on it... I just intend to get my last few "silly fun!" kicks in just before since there probably won't be much time for that sort of thing later. :wink:

#4 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:09 AM

Yay!!!

Huh... you're excited? I hate note-meal. I think it tastes like garbage...

what's a note meal???

not since i passed my ultramarine qualification exam for the empire of man...and was issued my bolter rifle...urp...wrong kind...

Er... yeaaaaah... :wink:

when i first read the title, i was thinking of warhammer 40,000... :shock:

(Sigh) I get the feeling I'm going to have to come up with a "Primer on Carrier Deck operations" or some such thing... that might be hard.

poor tyler..

If it makes you feel any better, he's not confirmed dead yet... you know how it is in these things... you don't assume anyone's dead unless you see a corpse or a huge explosion...

yeah, but in most military science fiction, the navigator always gets hit and fragged... :wink:

Shhhh...

:wink:

one thing pilots don't like to talk about... :)

Personally, if I'm going to be flying something, I'd like to know that it's money well spent... give me all the safety features you can pack on there, I don't care how much it costs... especially since I'm not actually paying for it. :wink:

And yeah, the old F-86s were pretty solid, and I just like the idea of six 50 cal machine guns under my wings, but c'mon... let's be honest... the Mig 15 was probably a better plane. Faster, a little more nimble, and more effective at higher altitudes, something which Mig pilots made some real smart use of.

86's had 6 browning 50 cals right in front of the cockpit...and according to a history channel special, the big problem with the mig 15 (I completely agree it was a much better plane...the us pilots were mostly veterans of WWII, I think and that gave them the edge) was you had slim to none chance of pulling out of a spin...sorry, more nitpicking...

Still, I'll admit, the fact that a Mig 15's tail assembly might just come loose for no reason during a sharp turn kinda puts me off on 'em. :D

that i haven't heard...urg... :wink:

And another example for our list: the A-10... she's ugly as sin, but it's one of the few instances where I wouldn't mind sitting in a titanium bathtub that couldn't move worth a crap.

oh yeah...give me armor anytime... :wink:

Depends... it could also have been one of those instances where the safety mechanisms didn't arm the warhead until after it had traveled a certain distance... entirely possible that the torpedo didn't go far enough from the corvette that launched it...

of course..minimum safe distance...especially important if you're going to use nukes...not that blast is a big issue in space, but all that nasty emp, neutron wave front, and plasma blast...

At least that's my rationale... though yours is also quite viable. :wink:

urm...wouldn't only one thruster burns be off axis??? it should make her tumbling worse...should have compensated with small maneuvering thrusters...

No, you're right... that's just the trick... if you're working with a four-engine setup, two on the left side of the craft and two on the right, a single engine burning would cause you to spin off-axis. If you were spinning left, then burning the left engine might just counter that spin, but then you'd start pulling towards the right as the engine burned more. So yes, she's got tiny maneuvering thruster banks built all along the hull... most of them were in the wings, which are trashed, but some are built along the main fuselage. As you said, well built and overengineered, meaning the designers intended this thing to be able to fly (even if badly) with no wings, one engine, huge fractures in the frame, etc. etc.

So yes, she's compensating with thrusters...

ok, but your use of "and most of the control surfaces weren’t responding properly. " might want to be revised or edited...sorry, but i do nitpick... :wink:

Incidentally, to address your later point about control surfaces, I know that usually means rudder and flaps and ailerons... and yes, obviously, those won't work in vacuum since there's no air to work against. I was just using them as a catch-all term for like thruster nozzles and crap. But it's a good point that you bring up... 's a good catch. :wink:

probably some sort of motion discriminator...

Except wouldn't, say, a stray hydrogen atom, moving really fast, set off the thing? I mean, sure, you could configure it to only trigger for something really heavy like a big ol' Sabre... or a shuttle or a body or something...

i just thought of something...what if it ionizes the air??? all atmosphere pumped in the flight deck is heavily ionized, so a magnetic curtain would be able to keep gasses from escaping, but allow big masses of metal to go thru...

But then you couldn't throw your empty soda cans out the "window"... :wink:

what was her relative velocity??? urm...does it really make sense to pressurize a flight deck during combat operations??? oxygen=fires...

Well, bear in mind that she has to be moving relatively fast as she goes through the curtain... if she's not, as soon as her Sabre crosses the magcon field and starts getting pulled by the Gallante's artificial grav, it'll drop like a rock. Plus, again, we've got that whole deal with the wings being pretty much gone and planes don't fly well without those. :D

oh yeah...loss of wings...hmmm...aerie??? is that your "spin" on her??? :(

As for keeping the flight deck pressurized, well, that's part of why the magcon field is in place... so the deck can always stay pressurized. Yes, that does make fire a distinct possibility, but atmospheric suits are still bulky affairs. You can't really have your deck crews working effectively if they're loaded down with heavy suits, oxygen tanks and wearing big, clunky gloves. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want guys who couldn't move their fingers properly handling several kilotons of nuclear ordnance. :wink:

yeah, but oxygen??? hmmm...how about pressuring flight operations in a halon-nitrogen atmosphere??? won't need a pressure suit, just a breather mask, and it would automatically damp out any fires...and a ship that just gets in, the crew won't be exposed to vacuum...

Mostly an asethetic choice, actually... though I think having heavy arrestor cables strung across the deck would still be a workable solution. But yeah, the crash nets do show up.

yeah, much easier to deploy and retract for normal landings by undamaged craft...

Yep. Bolter: when the hook fails to catch the cable... it's basically a warning to the pilot: you're screwed... or mostly screwed as the case may be...

bad air day... :(

You don't gotta tell -me- this stuff... :wink:

oh yeah...i mean i've seen stuff on carriers...a football field full of aviation fuel??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

They're shipmates and friends... get your mind out of the gutter, Penguin-Boy... :wink:

I like the gutter...its warm, dark, and full of interesting people.. :(

No, it's quite all right, actually... I tend to be really nitpicky towards myself about details like this... it's nice to have someone who can catch whatever I missed... and apparently I missed more than a few. :D

:wink:

s'all right...I just read too damn much military science fiction myself...

Anyway, yeah, trying to reconcile all the "physics" and stuff isn't all that easy a lot of the time... one of the hard parts about writing sci-fi... you gotta at least make the "sci" plausible... I think fantasy is sometimes a little easier since "magic" gives you a little more leeway than "technology" does... (Shrug)

yeah, but its a cop out...one of these days i gotta write some stories about magic used on the battlefield... think of horror used in a battlefield, or lightning bolt...

more please!!!

You'll have your "hot LZ" chapter in a bit... I'm working on it... I just intend to get my last few "silly fun!" kicks in just before since there probably won't be much time for that sort of thing later. :wink:

there's always a way to get silly fun no matter how grim the plot gets...

:wink: :wink:

#5 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:58 PM

Is it at least strawberry note meal? Cuz that would be okay.

It did become rather clear during the story.

2. Like I said in my responses to the comments you guys made last chapter, the current situation doesn't lend itself overly well to in-depth character studies, and I'm sorry... so while this is largely an Aerie chapter (Gasp! Yeah, she made it...) I don't really think there's all that much we can "learn" about her this time out. :(

I don't know man, you learn a lot about how a person handles a situation like this. How tough the person is, what they think is important.. :wink:

Uh oh. Tyler, you did remember your belt, didn't ya?

Seraph tried to turn in her seat, hoping to get a glimpse of her gunner’s status, but her body refused to cooperate. Her vision was blurry, and she couldn’t seem to bring anything into focus. Every time she tried, she got dizzy. Her neck hurt, a dull ache that didn’t seem to be coming from any specific injury that she could pinpoint, and she felt largely numb from the waist down; there was a slight, odd tingling in her left knee, but she couldn’t determine much more than that. Her arms felt sluggish as well, and her shoulders were sore from where her crash harnesses had hauled on her, keeping her from hurtling forward through the front of her fighter’s canopy.

Lets see, we've got at least a concussion. Definite signs of shock. Possible spinal injury, sever bruising to the upper chest. Sounds like a definite bad day.

Or more appropriately: MEDIC!

Her mouth was dry, and her tongue seemed swollen and thick as she tried once more to talk. The words came out in a weak slur, sounding more like a groan than any known language, and there was an unusual, but vaguely familiar, coppery taste in her mouth.

Right.

Ouch. Ouch. That's just painful.

Well, as muzzy headed as she is, she at least could wonder why she wasn't in an ever expanding cloud of metal and meat... that's good.

And these Sabres, they're tough little buggers. :D

Hopefully they're not going to dock her pay for the damages to the craft, because it seems a bit buggered. And, yeah, that torp must have either been distance rigged, mass rigged, or the impact smashed the detonator device without triggering it. Lu...cky,

Seraph let her hand fall away from the flight stick; her fingertips brushed against her thigh. She moved lower, reaching under the seat for something, and after a second or two of blind groping, her fingers finally closed around a metal ring… and hesitated.

Ejection? With those injuries?

With a sigh, she released it. She was pretty sure she had some kind of neck or back injury. Popping the ejector seat would probably do her in. And even if it didn’t, opening the fighter’s interior to hard vacuum might just kill Crewman James, if he wasn’t dead already. If he had been conscious, and capable of toggling his own ejector system, she might have risked it, but she wasn’t about to leave the poor kid all by himself in a half-dead, derelict ship – especially since her lousy flying had gotten them both into this mess in the first place.

I wonder how the ejection system works? I mean, do the seats eject themselves, or is it the cockpit? I guess the question is does the pilot go into hard vacuum with no extra structures like a modern pilot, or do they eject like in B5, in the cockpit? Just thinking that if she's got those kind of injuries, she might not even have an intact pressure suit, in which case ejection would kill her anyway.

But it is a telling bit of char dev here. Logic despite the situation, caring for her crewmates, and even a bit of that usual self deprecation. So, we have some char dev...

That would be... bad. And from this, I take it we're looking at a 4 engine system. The logical position is an X frame, but I wonder, are the engines articulating or static? Also, are the engines all on the same thrust axis?

The battle still raged outside, though it had drifted a good deal away from her position. She imagined the rest of her pilots were still trading shots with their orc counterparts and were oblivious as to what’d happened to her. She almost wished they -were- out there worrying about her, but discarded that notion almost as soon as it’d appeared. One missing Sabre wasn’t very high on the list of anyone’s priorities at the moment. In front of her, the sleek silhouette of the Gallante was still intact, knifing through the black of space. While there were blast marks all across her hull, the white eight-pointed Star of the Confederation was still intact on her prow. Painted next to it in bold letters were the ship’s name, and the Navy motto: Sic itur ad astra (Such is the Path to the Stars.) Despite the precarious nature of her own situation, the sight brought a faint smile to her face.

Whee! At least the fighting is going on elsewhere and not right on top of her where some orc might just decide to blast her just for fun.

And cool motto.

That smile turned into a grimace and clenched jaw as a loud burst of static and the high-pitched squeal of feedback assaulted her sensitive ears.

Static.

Feedback.

The comm system was still intact.

Hopefully one of the most hardened systems... good thing its still working.

“Flight Control… Flight Control, are you receiving?” she rasped into the mike, feeling lonely and desperate for an answer.

I bet... Let's just hope they didn't go out for pizza.

“Acknowledged, Sideshow One, go ahead.”

Yup, they're home.

She heaved a sigh of relief, then uncrossed her fingers (She hadn’t even known they’d been crossed in the first place) “Damage level critical, Control…”

The question had her momentarily, but completely, taken aback. “Er… yes!

LOL.. yeah, just a little.

There was another burst of static through her earphones, and she was afraid she’d just lost communications capability entirely, but then a message began coming through quite clearly on another frequency. “This is Gallante Flight Control to all units. Sideshow One is attempting emergency landing… all pilots, stand clear!” Whoever it was on the other end of the line clicked back to her. “Ok, Sideshow One, you’re cleared for immediate landing... crash crews are on standby, call the ball…”

She's coming in unguided and damaged... not good.

I wonder, does the Gallante have an automated fighter recovery system? I mean, I imagine any automated driving of the fighter by the ship's computer would be a wreck at this point, but what about some sort of tractor web to capture the ship and guide it in? Just a question.

She swallowed. Hard. “R-Roger, ball…”

Crap, meet fan. Fan, meet crap.

Not to be a punk, but I'm kinda with UU on this one. Trim thrusters, manuevering thrusters.. but I can understand the catch all too.. I've done that a few times... :)

Unfortunately, she was committed now. Only a few hundred meters from the opening of the hangar bay, there was no time to back out.

Especially with that fighter...

“You’re drifting too far starboard, Sideshow One… correct immediately.” The voice on the other end of the comm line was firm, but gentle – reassuring and confident, both. Understandable. You always wanted the guy talking you through a rough landing to be both cool and calm. She nudged the ship in the right direction, then began to ease back on the throttle as her one functioning display clicked off the distance.

Yeah.. a panicking flight officer? That would be.. bad. :shock:

300 meters…

LOL.. the magic of technology. :D

The Sabre’s nose drifted upwards, though the ship as a whole was still tracking generally “down.”

“25 meters… 10… that’s it… watch the transition…”

Ooops. Not good. And a pressurized deck.. well, while you do run the risk of fire, you also don't run the risk of strangling pilots with rips in their suits when they open the canopies....

Oops..

She called the ball, now she's the bouncing ball....

Disaster was a hair’s breadth away and getting jumpy.

And Mr. Murphy seems to be visiting as well. :(

The crew members working in that area of the flight deck scrambled out of the way as the damaged Sabre kicked up, coming in too fast for a proper landing.

Realizing her mistake, Seraph cut her engines entirely and forced the craft’s nose down. The landing skids slammed into the metal deck, the impact nearly bouncing the fighter back up, but the Sabre’s pilot was leaning on the controls, dead-set on keeping the ship grounded. Sparks shot up from the deck as steel grated against steel. The horrible shrieking noise of metal on metal assailed the entire hangar bay as the fighter tried to grind itself to a halt. It was shedding speed fast, but not fast enough as the opposite wall began to loom larger and larger in front of it.

Damn.. there goes the paint job.

Crash netting, much better than crashing into the bulkheads...

The crews were swarming over the wreck in seconds, hosing the frame down with fire suppression foam, hauling in heavy machinery, and maneuvering ladders into position. The emergency carbon dioxide systems kicked on, venting CO2 into the affected areas to help stifle the flames. Backup lighting left portions of the deck tinged blood-red, even as the regular illumination flickered, and in some places, died completely. Sirens and klaxons blared, echoing throughout the bay, summoning crew members from other posts to mob the deck and help out wherever they could.

This had been the third botched landing Imoen had seen since Commander Pierce had been incapacitated and she had been forced to assume command of the Gallante’s starboard hangar bay. Neither of the other two had been as outwardly messy as this one. She grimaced, hoping that this ship’s flight crew was still alive, even if the craft itself was a complete write-off. The pilots and gunners of the last two wrecks hadn’t been quite that lucky. She was just about to order a few more hands over to the area to help out, when she caught sight of the names stenciled on the fighter’s fuselage, right underneath the cockpit canopy:

Its always worse when its a friend... :( Well, here's hoping they made it. Still no corpses or exploding fighters... so that's a good sign.

Great chapter Alpha... most entertaining. :D

VH

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:15 PM

what's a note meal?

It's like oatmeal... only made out of notes instead of oats...

Eh... I try to get cute with my "Here are some notes for you to read" section, and this is what happens... completely unintelligible. :D

when i first read the title, i was thinking of warhammer 40,000...

I've heard good things... but I've never actually played it... a friend of mine apparently has a really nice miniatures collection, though... I helped him paint stuff once. Aside from going even more blind than I already am, it was actually kinda fun...

yeah, but in most military science fiction, the navigator always gets hit and fragged...

He's not the navigator, though... he's the tail-gunner... oh... wait... that's even worse. :wink:

one thing pilots don't like to talk about...

INCONTINENCE! :wink:

86's had 6 browning 50 cals right in front of the cockpit...and according to a history channel special, the big problem with the mig 15 (I completely agree it was a much better plane...the us pilots were mostly veterans of WWII, I think and that gave them the edge) was you had slim to none chance of pulling out of a spin...sorry, more nitpicking...

Probably the same special I saw once... and the thing about the tail assembly being ripped off of Mig-15s was from an episode of Mail Call, if I remember right.

oh yeah...give me armor anytime...

See, normally, I'd go with the opposite... I'd rather be flying something fast and nimble that can dodge as opposed to something that can just eat hostile fire. I'd seriously go with a TIE Interceptor, or even your standard TIE Fighter over something like a Y-wing... sure the Y-wing has shields and stuff, but it can't turn worth a crap, and I like being able to move. The only real times I favor armor over agility are in like... say... Mechwarrior games, where even if you're in a fast Cougar, it's still kinda hard to dodge effectively.

of course..minimum safe distance...especially important if you're going to use nukes...not that blast is a big issue in space, but all that nasty emp, neutron wave front, and plasma blast...

EMP is a pretty huge issue... that'll cripple a ship something awful, especially since you often have to drop your shields for just a second to launch a torpedo... if it goes off right in your face, that EMP backwash is going to shut down -your- ship. And then you're just screwed.

i just thought of something...what if it ionizes the air??? all atmosphere pumped in the flight deck is heavily ionized, so a magnetic curtain would be able to keep gasses from escaping, but allow big masses of metal to go thru...

But wouldn't that give everyone running around on the deck a HORRIBLE case of static cling? :wink:

oh yeah...loss of wings...hmmm...aerie??? is that your "spin" on her???

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about. (Whistles)

yeah, but oxygen??? hmmm...how about pressuring flight operations in a halon-nitrogen atmosphere??? won't need a pressure suit, just a breather mask, and it would automatically damp out any fires...and a ship that just gets in, the crew won't be exposed to vacuum..

Now that's something I didn't pick up on at all. You might be right. The limiting factor is probably the "no air pressure" deal, and not necessarily the lack of "breathable" air... you just don't want your people exploding because there's nothing to keep their insides... in... so using any inert gas, provided you could get your PSI high enough probably would work...

I suppose...

I don't know... maybe they've got something like that set up for emergencies... if there's a HUGE fire hazard going on, they might just vent the entire compartment into space, then refill it with something that won't burn and let the crew back in, equipped with breather masks...

I'll keep it in mind.

oh yeah...i mean i've seen stuff on carriers...a football field full of aviation fuel?

No kidding... three hundred plus feet of stuff that'll go boom... yeah, this is smart... :wink:

I like the gutter...its warm, dark, and full of interesting people..

It's also crawling with filth. :wink:

yeah, but its a cop out...one of these days i gotta write some stories about magic used on the battlefield... think of horror used in a battlefield, or lightning bolt...

Arcanum fanfic? :wink:

there's always a way to get silly fun no matter how grim the plot gets...

True, but sometimes inserting a whole chapter devoted to nonsense really breaks up the flow of the rest of the thing. Sometimes you can pull it off, and sometimes you can't... I'm not saying there aren't going to be any humorous escapades later, but really, you can only have so much goofy stuff going on when half the unit is dead or wounded, they're surrounded by bad guys with guns way bigger than the ones our heroes are carrying, etc. etc.

Uh... er... ahem... just disregard that last bit. :wink:

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:32 PM

Is it at least strawberry note meal? Cuz that would be okay.

'fraid not... it's your normal, everyday lumpy note-meal... bleccch. I hate it so.

It did become rather clear during the story.

Just making sure.

I don't know man, you learn a lot about how a person handles a situation like this. How tough the person is, what they think is important..

Partly, yeah... but a lot of the time, you really need to go plowing through some past traumatic event or what-not to really scrape up enough materal to work with... not always, but often. (Shrug)

Uh oh. Tyler, you did remember your belt, didn't ya?

Well, after slamming his head into the windshield, I don't think he'd forget...

Lets see, we've got at least a concussion. Definite signs of shock. Possible spinal injury, sever bruising to the upper chest. Sounds like a definite bad day.

Or more appropriately: MEDIC!

Unfortunately, we don't exactly have any in vacuum suits just swimming outside in space.

Ouch. Ouch. That's just painful.

Well, she just bit down on it... not like she bit -through- it... this ain't Happy Tree Friends. :wink:

Well, as muzzy headed as she is, she at least could wonder why she wasn't in an ever expanding cloud of metal and meat... that's good.

And these Sabres, they're tough little buggers.

I always thought they had crappy shields for a heavy fighter, but the armor was good. In fact, Angel always used to say something similar. Fairly light shields but excellent armor... ah well... I got mad at myself if I ever took armor damage. "They scratched my paint! I'll turn 'em into kitty litter!"

:D

Hopefully they're not going to dock her pay for the damages to the craft, because it seems a bit buggered. And, yeah, that torp must have either been distance rigged, mass rigged, or the impact smashed the detonator device without triggering it. Lu...cky,

It's buggered with a fish fork, all right...

I wonder how the ejection system works? I mean, do the seats eject themselves, or is it the cockpit? I guess the question is does the pilot go into hard vacuum with no extra structures like a modern pilot, or do they eject like in B5, in the cockpit? Just thinking that if she's got those kind of injuries, she might not even have an intact pressure suit, in which case ejection would kill her anyway.

But it is a telling bit of char dev here. Logic despite the situation, caring for her crewmates, and even a bit of that usual self deprecation. So, we have some char dev...

Pilots (and gunners) go fully EV... I like the idea of the whole cockpit enclosure blasting away, but that's a bit more complicated, and it means more crap can go wrong... at least if it's just your seat that goes kerblooey out the door, there's less chance of it being damaged if the rest of the fighter gets hit. That kinda thing.

Same with the Rapiers, which is why Fist One couldn't punch out. He had a torn flight suit.

As for that bit of "character development," you're right, I think there's some... maybe not a lot, but some. I imagine that Aerie's a little more knowledgable than your average Joe when it comes to medical stuff, despite her current "profession," so she's probably got a good head for figuring out just what might be wrong with her. As for being protective of the rest of her shipmates, she did just try to take down a torpedo all by her lonesome... that's about as close to "taking a bullet" for someone as you can get, pretty much. I always got the impression, in the game, that her own skin mattered to her, sure, but that she was almost overeager to throw it away for someone she respected... maybe I just read her wrong, but that's what I picked up. And yes, self-deprecation... a classic trait, and one you can't really help but see in her.

And cool motto.

I believe it's NASA's. :wink:

I wonder, does the Gallante have an automated fighter recovery system? I mean, I imagine any automated driving of the fighter by the ship's computer would be a wreck at this point, but what about some sort of tractor web to capture the ship and guide it in? Just a question.

The tractor beam was part of the automated recovery system. It got flash-fried when Pierce did. :wink:

Yeah.. a panicking flight officer? That would be.. bad.

"Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod! Wave off! OFF OFF OFF!!!" :wink:

She called the ball, now she's the bouncing ball...

Anyone up for some Karaoke?

Seraph: "If I live, I'm going to kill you..."

Its always worse when its a friend...

(Nod) Im's lost a bunch of people as it is... she never seems to take it well... in a way, though, I hope she never learns.

Still no corpses or exploding fighters... so that's a good sign.

Nope... but there -are- a bunch of cranky dwarves swarming the wreck, and they're mighty honked off that their deck's being turned into a flaming ruin. :wink:

Great chapter Alpha... most entertaining.

Seraph: "Well, I'm glad -someone's- having fun..." (Grumble)

Stop whining, Aerie...

"But..."

Quiet!

"But it's really starting to smell like smoke in here... could someone get me out?"

(Shuts the intercom off) Um... yeah... so... er... how about them Cowboys? :wink:

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:37 PM

Some visual aids... best I could do on short notice...

Since it's a frontal view of the Sabre, you can't really see the engines, but you can probably guess where they are. :D

Man, these things are pretty. :wink:

#9 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:59 PM

He's not the navigator, though... he's the tail-gunner... oh... wait... that's even worse. :D

much, much worse...ouch!!!

one thing pilots don't like to talk about...

INCONTINENCE! :D

"Depends" on their control... :D :wink: :wink:

See, normally, I'd go with the opposite... I'd rather be flying something fast and nimble that can dodge as opposed to something that can just eat hostile fire. I'd seriously go with a TIE Interceptor, or even your standard TIE Fighter over something like a Y-wing... sure the Y-wing has shields and stuff, but it can't turn worth a crap, and I like being able to move. The only real times I favor armor over agility are in like... say... Mechwarrior games, where even if you're in a fast Cougar, it's still kinda hard to dodge effectively.

puma...i really like hauptmans, and sunders...hauptmans with 3 clan lbx 20s, rips legs off like crazy, and i like turning heat off (I cheat!!!) and mounting a sunder full of clan er heavy pulse lasers... :wink:

EMP is a pretty huge issue... that'll cripple a ship something awful, especially since you often have to drop your shields for just a second to launch a torpedo... if it goes off right in your face, that EMP backwash is going to shut down -your- ship. And then you're just screwed.

its interesting you don't have parasite lasers for your warheads...

you know, bomb-pumped x-lasers???

they came up with the theory back in the 80's...toss a warhead, and toss many bundles of xray laser devices...the emp will power each bundle, and you use a atomic bomb to power x ray laser projectors...ever read "Footfall" by larry niven and jerry pournell??? :wink:

But wouldn't that give everyone running around on the deck a HORRIBLE case of static cling? :wink:

oh yeah...imagine a whole flight deck full of "carrot-tops"...OY!!! :wink:

I'll keep it in mind.

it really does make sense...i mean a fire in space is just not fun...

Arcanum fanfic? :)

too bad i never played the game...

Uh... er... ahem... just disregard that last bit. :wink:

now why does that make me think you're also a john ringo fan...or maybe david weber...have you read h. beam piper, jerry pournell, and of course everyone reads david niven... ;) ;) :)

i like the ships..sabres are either long range fighters, or fighter bombers????

ever played starlancer, or free lancer??? :)

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:43 PM

puma...i really like hauptmans, and sunders...hauptmans with 3 clan lbx 20s, rips legs off like crazy, and i like turning heat off (I cheat!!!) and mounting a sunder full of clan er heavy pulse lasers...

I'm telling you, man... for lights, it's all about the Cougar for me... for mediums, an Uziel, or the Ryoken (you suggested it a while back, and I agree)... a Thor or Black Knight for heavies (I love the way the Madcat looks, but I've gone a bit cold on it as of late... too many missile hardpoints, not enough omni or beam slots), and a Sunder for my assault range.

I mean, the Sunder is just a great design for me. Plenty of energy weapon hardpoints... depending on the situation, I'll go with like 3 ER Large Lasers, a Clan Ultra AC20 (Or LBX 20) and a whole PILE of heat sinks. If I'm fighting where heat isn't as much of an issue, those ER lasers get replaced by PPCs, fewer heat sinks, and a few klicks off the old speedo.

The Hauptmann is, in my opinion, a piece of junk. :wink: I mean, it's just too slow. TOO slow. The biggest, slowest mech I'll ever take out is a Fafnir, and that's only if I feel like riding inside a friggin' turret and have an urge to go smack something with a pair of Heavy Gauss rifles. :wink:

I know it's got armor and lots of it, but... meh... give me my more nimble Sunder any day.

they came up with the theory back in the 80's...toss a warhead, and toss many bundles of xray laser devices...the emp will power each bundle, and you use a atomic bomb to power x ray laser projectors...ever read "Footfall" by larry niven and jerry pournell?

I've never heard that one, actually... that really sounds like overkill, though... I mean, come on... if nuclear annihilation doesn't do the job, what more are little "ray guns" gonna do? Seems kinda... overblown... then again, something like MIRV warheads are already gratuitous, so... whatever... :wink:

I never played Arcanum, either. I liked the theory of it, but something about the way it was implemented just completely turned me off... I couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go some time, but I kinda doubt it.

now why does that make me think you're also a john ringo fan...or maybe david weber...have you read h. beam piper, jerry pournell, and of course everyone reads david niven...

Actually, I've never read Niven... :D

But you're dead on about the Ringo... :wink:

Mmmm... let's go pile up some Posleen bodies...

i like the ships..sabres are either long range fighters, or fighter bombers?

The shot of the Rapier is the Wing Commander 1 Rapier medium fighter... fastest thing in the game, most nimble, best shields, and like second best armor. Real beast, and it looked pretty. Apparently, though, some folks were working on a mod or something to redo the original game ships with some new fancy, 3D models... hence that screenshot.

The Sabre is from WC2, and was mostly just a heavy space-superiority fighter, but there were times when she'd be loaded down with anti-ship torpedoes - two of 'em. Two of those big missiles were enough to bring down exactly one capital ship in the game. So you could trash a Kilrathi destroyer, cruiser, even up to a carrier with two torpedoes. Provided they both hit, of course.

ever played starlancer, or free lancer?

Both...

Obsessively...

I've bombed around in everything from the Crusader to the Grendel to the Wolverine to the Phoenix in Starlancer... I love that game. The gameplay was fun, but a lot of the other production values (acting, for example) were just awful. I have no idea how they managed to get it "right" for Wing Commander III and IV and then just forgot all that garbage for Starlancer. Ick.

Freelancer is also good, though I happen to think Trent is a moron. Oh, look, it's Steve from 90210! :wink:

And of course, Juni's cute... I mean, really cute. :wink:

#11 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:07 AM

puma...i really like hauptmans, and sunders...hauptmans with 3 clan lbx 20s, rips legs off like crazy, and i like turning heat off (I cheat!!!) and mounting a sunder full of clan er heavy pulse lasers...

I'm telling you, man... for lights, it's all about the Cougar for me... for mediums, an Uziel, or the Ryoken (you suggested it a while back, and I agree)... a Thor or Black Knight for heavies (I love the way the Madcat looks, but I've gone a bit cold on it as of late... too many missile hardpoints, not enough omni or beam slots), and a Sunder for my assault range.

I mean, the Sunder is just a great design for me. Plenty of energy weapon hardpoints... depending on the situation, I'll go with like 3 ER Large Lasers, a Clan Ultra AC20 (Or LBX 20) and a whole PILE of heat sinks. If I'm fighting where heat isn't as much of an issue, those ER lasers get replaced by PPCs, fewer heat sinks, and a few klicks off the old speedo.

The Hauptmann is, in my opinion, a piece of junk. :wink: I mean, it's just too slow. TOO slow. The biggest, slowest mech I'll ever take out is a Fafnir, and that's only if I feel like riding inside a friggin' turret and have an urge to go smack something with a pair of Heavy Gauss rifles. :wink:

yeah, the hauptman is slow...but in certain scenarios, speed is not a big issue, the firepower is so nice...

I know it's got armor and lots of it, but... meh... give me my more nimble Sunder any day.

love the sunder, that's my favorite too for general purpose use...

they came up with the theory back in the 80's...toss a warhead, and toss many bundles of xray laser devices...the emp will power each bundle, and you use a atomic bomb to power x ray laser projectors...ever read "Footfall" by larry niven and jerry pournell?

I've never heard that one, actually... that really sounds like overkill, though... I mean, come on... if nuclear annihilation doesn't do the job, what more are little "ray guns" gonna do? Seems kinda... overblown... then again, something like MIRV warheads are already gratuitous, so... whatever... :wink:

urm...think of multiple xray pumped lasers, each with around a TERRA-watt throughput, and since each bundle is only powered by the bomb, each bundle can track its own target,multiple target tracking, standoff distance...until the bomb both powers the lasers and destroys them...only good for one use, obviously..in footfall, mankind fights back against the space invasion force by building an orion space craft, using tactical nukes for propulsion...a huge space craft, bigger than the pyramids, with a gigantic armored pressor plate, and you toss small nukes behind you, and detonate...the bomb pushes the spacecraft along...and since you're using atom bombs for propulsion anyway, toss bundles of xray lasers, and the terra watt beams fry anything they target...you would love that book, get it.."footfall" by larry niven and jerry pournell...

I never played Arcanum, either. I liked the theory of it, but something about the way it was implemented just completely turned me off... I couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go some time, but I kinda doubt it.

now why does that make me think you're also a john ringo fan...or maybe david weber...have you read h. beam piper, jerry pournell, and of course everyone reads david niven...

Actually, I've never read Niven... :wink:

But you're dead on about the Ringo... ;)

Mmmm... let's go pile up some Posleen bodies...

i am known in the community for my fanfic songs, my cheese guide and my infamous pc hack/cheat...

Bun-bun, the rabbit of doom...a sorceror kensai assassin cleric mage, with timestop immunity, perminent g acuity, and other obscene enhancements... (named after the sheva, not the cartoon)

it was an experiment gone terribly wrong..i wondered how badly i could hack a pc to make it more powerful, and i found out there was no actual limit... :D :wink: :wink:

you would like piper, jerry pournell, and david weber...jerry pournell's "mercenary" and weber's "honor harrington" series are top notch...did you read weber and ringo's collaboration "march to the sea"??? you would love it...have you read ringo's newest book, the one about keith laumer's bolo's??? (oh yeah, keith laumer...) i didn't read his book "here be dragons" not that interesting to me, if you read it how was it???

I've bombed around in everything from the Crusader to the Grendel to the Wolverine to the Phoenix in Starlancer... I love that game. The gameplay was fun, but a lot of the other production values (acting, for example) were just awful. I have no idea how they managed to get it "right" for Wing Commander III and IV and then just forgot all that garbage for Starlancer. Ick.

yeah...the game was fun, but i was disappointed in the horrible voice overs too..urg...

Freelancer is also good, though I happen to think Trent is a moron. Oh, look, it's Steve from 90210! :)

And of course, Juni's cute... I mean, really cute. ;)

hmm...may have to give freelancer a try...though my hand eye coordination sucks.. :wink:

#12 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:25 AM

Just to jump in here... either of you ever read William Dietz? Legion of the Damned series? Its definitely military SF, and good stuff, although he's far more interested in infantry slugging it out than space battles. Ships seem to exist to either get the troops there or to blow up in huge space battles. His big thing is big, nasty cyborgs. Fun stuff. If you haven't he's worth a read.

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:28 AM

yeah, the hauptman is slow...but in certain scenarios, speed is not a big issue, the firepower is so nice...

Meh. I have a need for speed. I will almost never give up speed for anything... not firepower, not armor.

(Shrug)

urm...think of multiple xray pumped lasers, each with around a TERRA-watt throughput, and since each bundle is only powered by the bomb, each bundle can track its own target,multiple target tracking, standoff distance...until the bomb both powers the lasers and destroys them...only good for one use, obviously..in footfall, mankind fights back against the space invasion force by building an orion space craft, using tactical nukes for propulsion...a huge space craft, bigger than the pyramids, with a gigantic armored pressor plate, and you toss small nukes behind you, and detonate...the bomb pushes the spacecraft along...and since you're using atom bombs for propulsion anyway, toss bundles of xray lasers, and the terra watt beams fry anything they target...you would love that book, get it.."footfall" by larry niven and jerry pournell...

I'll look into it. :twisted:

Why would you throw bombs out the back, though? Why use an uncontrolled nuclear reaction when you could (almost) just as easily use a -controlled- nuclear reaction? Hmmm... I'm sure the book puts forth some kind of explanation, but I don't see one right now. :wink:

Bun-bun, the rabbit of doom...a sorceror kensai assassin cleric mage, with timestop immunity, perminent g acuity, and other obscene enhancements... (named after the sheva, not the cartoon)

I think I'm the only one around here who appreciates Sluggy... :wink: I haven't seen anyone else yet, at least.

I don't know... I've been a huge fan of Sluggy Freelance for years now... and it was the mention of Ringo's books on the Sluggy site that actually brought the Posleen novels to my attention.

weber's "honor harrington" series are top notch...

That one I've heard of... at least I've seen them on bookstore shelves... I've never read any of them, though.

did you read weber and ringo's collaboration "march to the sea"?

Not yet... I only have some vague knowledge of it... as in, I know it exists, and that's about all. :wink:

i didn't read his book "here be dragons" not that interesting to me, if you read it how was it?

Nope... haven't read it... doesn't sound all that interesting to me, either... I read Ringo for the powered armor suits and the massive nuclear artillery pieces and junk like that. I'm not saying he can't do anything -other- than that, but that's not originally why I started reading him.

hmm...may have to give freelancer a try...though my hand eye coordination sucks..

I wouldn't worry about it. In a "controversial" decision, they decided not to include joystick control in Freelancer (GASP!). It's completely mouse-driven. Not only is it mouse-driven, but anyone who's played games like Starlancer or X-wing/TIE Fighter or Wing Commander or Freespace will tell you that the flight model in Freelancer is kinda... dumbed down. I've heard they wanted to make it more accessible to non-hardcore space combat sim-mers, hence the mouse control and the slight learning curve. Even if you're not a flight sim guru or whatever, you shouldn't have any problems. It's a pretty fun game... not perfect, but fun enough. And I actually did like the plotline and the characters, so that was a bonus in my opinion.

#14 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:31 AM

Just to jump in here... either of you ever read William Dietz? Legion of the Damned series? Its definitely military SF, and good stuff, although he's far more interested in infantry slugging it out than space battles. Ships seem to exist to either get the troops there or to blow up in huge space battles. His big thing is big, nasty cyborgs. Fun stuff. If you haven't he's worth a read.

Yeah, you mentioned him a couple of months back...

Obviously, I like my military sci-fi, and obviously, I like my infantry combat... I'm always gonna have a soft spot for starfighters and big ol' capital ships, but the GroPos get my respect, too. :twisted:

Anywho, I just did some poking around, and Dietz wrote a HALO novel (as in based on the game universe)... I may make a "foray" into his work with that one.

#15 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

What’s a bolter?

2. Like I said in my responses to the comments you guys made last chapter, the current situation doesn't lend itself overly well to in-depth character studies, and I'm sorry... so while this is largely an Aerie chapter (Gasp! Yeah, she made it...) I don't really think there's all that much we can "learn" about her this time out. ;)

I’m torn on this issue, as you well know it. On one hand, I appreciate a good character development, but on the other hand… that would mean reading more about Aerie… hmmm…

3. I'm reactivating the "Lynching Line," just in case. :wink:

*is busy coating his throwing daggers with magical poison*

Eh? You said something?

:x

Right.

Annoying and painful as that is, it probably isn’t her greatest worry…

Here I see something from Aerie, yes. :wink:

Heh, I dunno… wonder if a critical damage level would warrant declaring an emergency… :wink:

Heh, I got it. You can save your expert’s explanation about what is a bolter… :x

Poor Immy, I guess she was good friends with poor Tyler… or maybe more? :twisted:

-*-

Couldn’t find much to comment on this chapter. As you can probably imagine yourself, it didn’t very well address my concerns about Aerie’s portrayal, either… as for the rest of the stuff – the amount of technical details were too overwhelming for me. Not really a chapter for me, I’m afraid. Just very much not my piece of cake. In the earlier chapters it felt like you were striking a good balance between the technical stuff and char development, right now it’s all about the former and none of the latter – but then you know that yourself. I’ll keep hoping it will change at least marginally, soon :wink:

#16 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:54 PM

In the earlier chapters it felt like you were striking a good balance between the technical stuff and char development, right now it’s all about the former and none of the latter – but then you know that yourself. I’ll keep hoping it will change at least marginally, soon

Next one's a lot more with the talking and a lot less with the technical garbage, so that should be a bit better... hopefully... (Fingers crossed)

And watch you don't accidentally use those poisoned daggers to cut your steak, okay?

:)

#17 Guest_Shian_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:12 PM

*mutters something about knowing this would happen eventually*

*goes off to actually read the chapters from before V-man joined the party*

:)

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

*mutters something about knowing this would happen eventually *

Well, it's official... I've turned her into a bitter, bitter woman... :)

#19 Guest_Shian_*

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:17 AM

Well, it's official... I've turned her into a bitter, bitter woman... :twisted:

:twisted: Nah... Viga beat ya to it. :twisted: :twisted:

#20 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:44 AM

Well, it's official... I've turned her into a bitter, bitter woman... :twisted:

:twisted: Nah... Viga beat ya to it. :twisted: :twisted:

WOOOOHOOOOO!! GO ME!! :shock: :wink: :wink: :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic