A Tale of Two Mages: Part 4

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ophidia_*

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:31 AM

An Enjoyable Partnership: A Tale of Two Mages

Part Four

Nalia woke up, and wondered briefly where she was. This was the Keep, but it wasn’t her bedroom. What was she doing in the wrong room? The birds were singing outside, and the first light of dawn was creeping through the thick draft-proof drapes over the window. She heard a faint male murmur beside her, turned her head to see where it had come from- and fell out of the bed in surprise.

She was in bed with Edwin…well, she had been, before she fell out. How had…? Oh yes, that horrible nightmare. Ah well, no harm done then. He was still asleep, lying on his back, occasionally twitching in some private dream. She had to admit, it was…nice, sharing a bed with him. That simple human warmth was cosy- and simple human companionship something an Amnian noble rarely had the chance to experience. Nalia snorted softly to herself. If someone had told her a few months back that she’d form such a close friendship with Edwin Odesseiron, she’d…she’d…have done something pretty dramatic, anyway.

Time to get up. She stood up slowly, then stretched and yawned hugely. Edwin wouldn’t be awake for hours yet, but she liked to get going in the morning. After all, why waste half the day? He seemed to prefer to creep around late at night, making his eyes sore by reading by candlelight. Well, he didn’t make his eyes sore, but Nalia felt that he should. It wasn’t healthy. Nalia padded across to the door in her bare feet, and let herself out of the room. She closed the door quietly behind her, determined not to wake ‘Dwin up.

“Morning, Nalia dear!”

Nalia squeaked in surprise. “Uh, Auntie! What are you doing here?” Well done, Nalia. That really didn’t sound at all suspicious.

Delcia didn’t look particularly cross, to Nalia’s surprise. She thought that her auntie would have had kittens, seeing her creeping out of Edwin’s room in the early morning.

“I was just passing. I’m going to Athkatla today, to see that nice Maria Firecam, so I got up early to get there at a reasonable hour.”

“Oh. Um. Good. I hope you enjoy yourself.”

“I’m sure I will.” Delcia suddenly stopped, and looked thoughtful. “Er, I can have a word with you, Nalia?”

Oh no. “Of course, Auntie.”

“Well, I can’t help notice that you just came out of Edwin’s room…”

“Yes, but I can explain, you see, it’s not…”

“Oh, my dear, you don’t need to explain!” Delcia said, smiling fondly at her.

“I don’t? But…”

“Well, it’s not officially approved of, you know, but, well, most engaged couples, um, spend time together.”

“We weren’t…”

“I was just wondering if you, er, know the, er, possible consequences…”

“But we weren’t…”

“…You see, I wouldn’t want you to make the mistake I made…”

“Oh Gods…”

“…There are preventative measures you can take…”

“Please, no…”

“…Ask that nice Ilmateri priest Thaddeus for help…”

“…But it’s not…”

“…Scrolls and potions, you know, it’s your choice…”

“Auntie, I already know about …”

“…Important not to lose count of the days…”

“This really isn’t…”

“…Stop things happening before they should…”

Please shut up!”

“…It’s the woman’s responsibility to…”

Auntie!

Delcia stopped in surprise, and then drew herself up to glare at Nalia. “I beg your pardon, I’m only trying to help. I know that a loving couple can get, well, carried away, and I’m just making sure you’re being responsible. We wouldn’t want a scandal to besmirch the name of de’Arnise, would we?”

“What does it matter what people think?”

“Oh, Nalia, really! You must get these silly fancies out of your head. You’re a landowner, now…”

“…you should act responsibly...” Nalia muttered with a yawn.

“You should act responsibly…” Delcia said, waving her ringed hand to emphasis her point.

“…And give thought to your duties…”

“And give thought to your duties…Nalia! Don’t be so rude.”

“Sorry Auntie.” Nalia said, trying not to smile. Lady Delcia sniffed loudly, and bustled off down the corridor, looking put-out even from behind.

Edwin opened his eyes, and stretched lazily, rubbing his eyes tiredly. He’d not had a good night’s sleep. He had had lots of odd dreams, ones he couldn’t remember now, but left him feeling oddly miserable and unsettled at the same time. After that nightmare, he simply hadn’t settled again to proper sleep, it seemed.

His hand groped around him, only half-consciously. Hmm. Nalia was gone, it seemed. No doubt she had gone out to go and annoy the farmers of the estate again, although she saw it as ‘Keeping in touch with the common folk’. Edwin snorted. Poor naïve child that she was! It had been irritating having her share his bed, too. It was too hot and cramped. A single bed was designed for one person- at least, it was if they were asleep. Yes. It was just annoying having her sleeping beside him.

And yet…Edwin shook his head and got up, moving to the washstand. He took a small sip of the glass of water he kept there, and then sluiced his face with water, looking up into the small mirror above the basin. Hmm. His beard needed trimming again. His own dark eyes stared back at him, measuringly…

Revenge. Eternal Malice. Bitter, festering hatred.

Edwin stifled a scream and staggered backwards, falling over a chair with a loud thump, just as the door opened silently.

“Sir? Are you well?”

“What? Who is that?” Edwin said, struggling to his feet hurriedly.

“It’s only me, sir. Hamdeth.”

“Ah. Yes.” Edwin adjusted his silk nightshirt, smoothing out the creases. “Nothing is wrong, nothing. Where is Nalia at the moment?”

The older man grimaced slightly. He had made it obvious numerous times that he didn’t approve of Edwin’s supposed engagement to the lady of the manor. “I believe she has just got back from riding, sir.”

Edwin?

Yes?

What’s the matter? Did you fall over or something? I felt it.

I have just had a strange experience, actually. Rather…unsettling.

Really? What happened?

I looked in the mirror, and I saw…
Edwin stopped. How could he explain it? He looked in the mirror and saw…himself? Yes, that sounded frightening, didn’t it? Nothing. It matters not.

Huh?

I said it doesn’t matter!
He snapped back.

Oh all right, if you’re going to be like that! Nalia went silent with a distinctly affronted edge to her mental voice. There were times, Edwin thought, when she distinctly reminded him of Lady Delcia.

Edwin steepled his hands in front of his face in thought, then glared at his fingers as he realised they were trembling. He shook them hurriedly, and glanced quickly at the mirror. He shuddered, and took his mage robe off the hook on the back of the door. No doubt that…whatever it had been… was unimportant. Nothing to concern himself with. Tiredness, maybe. Yes. That was it.

For a brief moment, he looked around himself in blank surprise. He knew he recognised this room, but where was it? He frowned and clasped his hands to the side of his head, shaking it. Idiot mage! This is your bedroom. The place where you sleep each night, yes?

Tiredness. It had to be tiredness.

The town of trademeet was always busy. Even in the current crisis, humans and halflings still bellowed their business to each other across the town square, the noble families still spent their time and energy cutting each other to ribbons, and the taverns served many a passing adventurer. Although the jewel-lined streets were not quite as rich as they had been a few weeks previously, the whole town still sparkled with accumulated wealth. Children laughed and played and bards played the latest songs from Athkatla (there was one new ballad that was proving to be particularly popular).

Andorel’s party sat at a table, the remains of their evening meal scattered across its surface. They were chatting cheerfully to each other, while Minsc used his sword in wide gestures, re-enacting some battle or other. Occasionally, passing patrons ducked hurriedly as several feet of sharpened steel swished through the air.

“Could you pass the bread please, Andorel?” Anomen asked.

Andorel grunted and handed over the basket, then sighed and went back to resting his chin on his hand.

Keldorn sneezed.

“I presume that tomorrow we shall be going to see the Dao Djinn?” Valygar asked.

Keldorn sneezed.

“You know, I once met a Djinn.” Jan remarked “He was an alchemist. Not a good profession for a Djinn, I might add.”

Keldorn sneezed.

“Why not?” Minsc asked curiously.

Anomen sighed in exasperation. “Do you honestly have to encourage him, Minsc? We could have some blessed silence once in a while!”

“Minsc wants to know, though!”

Keldorn sneezed.

“Well you see, potions have to be put in bottles. Genies don’t like bottles, since if they’re not careful- whoosh! They get sucked into them. This is what happened to the poor chap in my story. One day, he was making a general pep-up tonic that acted as a stiffener, if you know what I mean…”

“Oh, Gods…” Anomen tried to cover his ears.

Keldorn sneezed.

“And zzzzippp! He got sucked right in. From then on, he and his bottle were known as the Djinn and Tonic.”

There was a collective groan from around the table. Keldorn sneezed.

“For Tyr’s sake, STOP SNEEZING, KELDORN!” Andorel suddenly bellowed, rocketing to his feet and upsetting the table. Bread rolls cascaded over their feet. He looked around the now-silent tavern, and cleared his throat. “What are you lookin’ at?” He said, glaring at the other tables. The other drinkers hurriedly looked away, feigning unconcern.

Keldorn sniffed, and blew his nose on a large white handkerchief. “Dorry, Andoreb. It id thid derrible cold.” He sneezed again.

“Anomen, why can’t you cure him, you idiot?” Andorel asked angrily.

“I do not squander my preciously garnered spells on colds, Andorel. Such would be a waste of resources my God would surely not approve of.” Anomen replied virtuously.

Andorel sighed and sat down again. “No, no I suppose not.” He took his helmet off and ran his thick fingers through his tangled brown hair.

“I think my friend Andorel is sad tonight.” Minsc declared. “He is acting like Boo after too much cheese.”

Andorel shook his head sorrowfully. “Yes, yes, I know I’m acting like an idiot. It’s not your fault, Keldy, we all get colds.”

“I dow. Thid id a very nasdy one, though.” Keldorn blinked his streaming eyes. “I dink I’ll get an early nide. Dleep well, frienbs.” He rose from the table and headed for the stairs. A final sneeze echoed down the stairwell.

“Perhaps you would feel better if you told us what was bothering you?” Valygar suggested.

Andorel snorted and then sighed. “I just don’t like this town. I don’t fit in. I got sick of getting stared at for being a half-orc back in Baldur’s Gate, and it’s just the same here. You’d think they’d never seen anyone with green skin before!”

“They are staring at the sight of a great warrior whose footprint decorates the buttocks of Evil from here to Ulgoth’s Board!”

“Beard.” Valygar muttered into his tankard.

“Where?”

“It’s not just that.” Andorel shuddered. “It’s…it’s everything! This place is just too posh. All the gold and jewels…the beds are too soft, the rooms too well heated, and this food! It’s horrible. Not a single weevil or baked cockroach in it anywhere. I just can’t eat this rubbish.” He sat down again with a thump, resting his head in his hands again and staring into midair. “What I would give for one of the Coronet’s beetle stews right now…”

“They’re not supposed to be…”

“…But all I’ve got to eat is this funny pointy veg…”

“That’s asparagus.” Sighed Anomen.

“…these bits of snot in stone sandwiches…”

“Oysters.”

“…and these dumb little eggs!”

“Caviar.”

“What’s the point of an egg so titchy you can’t fry it?”

“Never mind, Andorel!” Minsc said, putting his muscular arm around the dejected half-orc’s neck. “Tomorrow we go to find the Evil rakshasa and we shall be heroes!”

Andorel brightened up, and smiled his toothy yellow grin. “That’s true! Walking about a swamp is loads nicer than this dump.”

“You prefer walking around a festering, stinking swamp, slapping mosquitoes, than sitting in a well appointed inn such as this?” Anomen asked.

“’Course I do! Don’t you?”

Anomen sighed silently, and didn’t bother to reply. He made a mental note to remember to bring the citronella oil with him tomorrow.

And to make sure Andorel didn’t choose the packed lunches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com