The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 32

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 29 December 2003 - 02:12 PM

The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 32

When morning came round, there was still no change in Benny’s condition. As soon as he was awake, Kane left Edwin alone to go and sit with his teacher for a while, and to try and persuade Viconia to get some rest, or at least something to eat. But the drow refused, as stubborn as ever. The warrior talked to Benny for a few moments, but he couldn’t bring himself to stay long, though he felt he should. Seeing his teacher in such a bad way upset him too much. Besides, he really needed to talk to Korgan and Cory.

Surprisingly, he actually managed to get Korgan alone. The dwarf was sitting alone at the bar, scowling into a pint glass. That didn’t put Kane off though, and he sat down beside his companion. Korgan looked up and grunted some sort of greeting.

“Where is Kagain?” Kane asked him. Korgan shrugged.

“Went fer a walk, I think. How’s the shapeshifter doing?”

“No change.”

“That good or bad?”

“I don’t know,” Kane shrugged helplessly. “I suppose it depends on what way you look at it.”

“Aye.” Korgan turned back to his ale glass. “Something I can do fer ye?”

“Edwin told me that you were talking about leaving,” Kane said, searching his companion’s face for answers. “He overheard a conversation you were having with Kagain last night. Is it true, Korgan?”

“I’m sorry, lad,” the old dwarf said gruffly. “Travellin’ with ye, it ‘as been fun, and I would ‘ave liked to be with ye when ye take down that Irenicus, aye. But I can’t be trusting Eddie no more, see? Ye love ‘im and that be your decision, ye ain’t stupid and I’m sure ye know that ye might be diggin’ yer own grave. But I won’t be travellin’ with one I be suspicious of.”

“I…I understand. It will be sad to lose you, Korgan, you’re a good fighter and a good companion, but if you feel you have to go, then I will not attempt to make you change your mind. I think I know how you feel, I couldn’t travel with people I didn’t trust either.”

“Aye, it never works, not really,” Korgan shook his head. “I know that young Edwin never wanted all this to ‘appen, but it still changes things. ‘E’s a walking deathtrap right now.”

“Aren’t we all?” Kane smiled faintly. “You’re right, he is. But we’ll deal with it, somehow. I’ve already sworn to slaughter every Red Wizard that crosses my path, in payment for what they did to Benny, and I’ll enjoy doing it. Besides, Edwin wouldn’t even be in this situation if he hadn’t met me, so I can hardly turn my back on him now.”

“Don’t think no-one is askin’ that of ye,” Korgan grunted. “Everyone knows it won’t do no good. Ye ‘ave to do what ye think is best, we all do.”

“Sometimes I have to wonder if I really am doing the right thing. But time…time will tell, I suppose. When were you thinking of leaving?”

“I were thinking of staying ‘til we know what be ‘appening with the assassin. ‘E were a companion, so I feel like I should. ‘Sides, if I leave now, I’ll always be wondering if ‘e died or not. When we know fer sure, I’ll say me goodbyes and be off.”

“As you like,” Kane stood up, patting Korgan lightly on the shoulder. “I am in no hurry to get rid of you, you know. But now I must see how Cory is fairing.”

He tapped briefly on Cory’s door, but received no reply. No sound came from inside the assassin’s room.

“Cory?” Impatient and worried, he pushed open the door. His young friend was sitting in a chair by the window, resting his elbows on the sill and staring out over the city. He had been busy though. From where he was standing in the doorway, Kane could spot signs that traps had been laid in at least four places.

“Hello Kane,” he greeted, not turning round. He sounded tired, but that didn’t surprise Kane in the slightest. He doubted that any of them had slept well, if at all. “What can I do for you?”

“You all right?” Spotting a trap just an inch from his feet, the warrior carefully stepped over it, thankful that he had seen it in time. “Do you think you have enough traps in here?”

“Danger is everywhere these days,” Cory said seriously. “If there is one thing I have learnt recently, it is that nowhere is really safe. I don’t want to die again and I don’t want no wizards teleporting into my room in the night to finish what they started.”

“It is sensible to take precautions,” Kane agreed. “Especially when you are like me or Benny, when the first death is the final one. But you shouldn’t need more than one or two traps, Cory, as an assassin, you should be able to rely on your natural senses to stay out of danger.”

“Maybe,” the assassin shrugged, finally looking at his leader, one of his closest friends. “But dying like I did…I suppose it has unsettled me more than a little.”

“That’s to be expected,” Kane said gently. “But try not to dwell on it too long, eh? You’re alive, back with us and that is what matters. And those wizards, if they are stupid enough to send even more of their kind to their deaths…it isn’t going to be you they come after, it’ll be Edwin and I. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time yesterday, it could have been any of us.”

“I know that. And yet…” he shook his head sadly. “Why does it always happen to me, Kane? I try to be a good friend to Edwin, I try to look after him and yet it is always me who gets hurt. Knowing that I died, that they actually killed me, makes me feel cold inside. Every time I close my eyes, I see them standing there in their red robes. Robes the colour of fresh blood. And whenever I think about Edwin, I just feel…angry, hurt. I saved him from Randal, I did my very best to help him in that guild, but yesterday I was killed by the wizards of his bloody homeland.”

“Edwin would have stopped them if he could,” Kane told him. He was growing worried, it wasn’t like Cory to be so depressed. “He’d never wish any harm on you or Benny.”

“I do believe that,” Cory said dully. “But one bad thing after another has happened to me since he came along and I’m getting a little tired of it. And what pisses me off more than anything is that he still wants to be one of them, he doesn’t want to turn away, even after what they did.”

“Isn’t that understandable though?” Kane argued. “All right, Edwin has been exiled. They no longer consider him a Red Wizard and he can’t return to his homeland right now, but he was still born in Thay, his parents are still Red Wizards and we can’t expect him to just turn his back on everything that was once so important to him. Even I would never ask that of him.” Cory shrugged and said nothing. “Come on, arguing and blaming each other isn’t going to help anyone, is it?”

“What do you want me to do? I’ve already told him, I can’t change my feelings.”

“Just try and make more of an effort. Tell him that you don’t blame him for this whole mess. To be perfectly honest, I don’t really care. All of you seem to be forgetting that I have more cause than anyone else to be upset about what happened. Benny is my closest friend, and the nearest thing I’ve ever really had to a father, and if I can deal with things reasonably, then the rest of you should be able to.”

“Fine!” Cory said, exasperated. “Whatever you want. Where is he?”

“In our room, I think. Too afraid of bumping into Viconia or Kagain to come out, I think. Especially now that Korgan has decided to leave us. Gives them more reason to blame him.”

“When’s he going?”

“He wants to stay until we know what is happening with Benny,” Kane told him. “He says he feels that he should, with Benny being a companion and all. When we know one way or another what’s going to happen, he says that he’ll just say his goodbyes and go. It’s a pity really, but it is what he feels he has to do.”

“I wish he wasn’t going,” Cory said quietly, sadly. “He was a friend. It was good fighting that lich together and he always made me laugh.” He paused and slowly stood up. “I suppose I had better go and find Edwin-”

“I am here,” Edwin remarked dryly, from the doorway. Cory scowled.

“How long have you been standing there?” he demanded. “Do you have to sneak up on people like that?”

“I was just passing to get some water!” Edwin scowled back, fed up with being accused by everyone even when he had done nothing wrong. “And I heard my name, so I stopped. Nothing wrong with that, is there?” Cory gave no reply.

“Cory has something to say to you,” Kane told his lover. Both of them looked at he assassin expectantly, while he dropped his gaze to look at the patterned rug, worn from people constantly walking over it.

“I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings or made you feel like you were to blame over what happened yesterday,” he muttered, not looking up. Though he was trying, his voice was still rather cold and his apology lacked any real sincerity, but none of them acknowledged it. “I know that none of this was really your fault. I was just…upset, that’s all.”

“It’s all right,” Edwin started, but Cory had already turned his back, leaving the room without another word. Kane watched him go, shaking his head.

“Well,” he said finally, unsure of what to say. “At least he apologised.”

“Yes.” Edwin forced himself to smile. “Yes, he did.”

But although he didn’t say so, the apology had really meant little to him. He hadn’t wanted Cory to apologise; he just wanted things to be back to normal between them, for his friend to be able to look at him again. That was what hurt him most, that the assassin was acting as though he wasn’t really there.

“It’ll be all right, Eddie,” Kane squeezed his shoulder affectionately. “He’s taken things very hard and you have to give him more time. But things will work out in the end.”

“Will they?” Edwin muttered. But his lover had already gone, anxious to see how Benny was faring, and so there was no one to hear him.

As the day passed into evening, still Viconia sat by Benny’s bed. She had not moved and the food Kane had brought to her had been left almost untouched. Edwin had stayed away, Cory had come in for a while and Kane had looked in several times, though he hadn’t stayed long.

“I feel like I should be sitting here, waiting,” he had told her. “But I just can’t. Seeing him like this…it’s just too painful.”

“Go then,” had been her reply. “If there is any change in his condition, I promise I will call you.”

He had left then, pausing only briefly to pat her on the shoulder, a comforting gesture. Then he had gone, closing the door behind him, and she was left alone with her unconscious lover. She could understand why he felt he could not stay, it was painful enough for her and the drow knew that Kane was hurting even worse than she was.

It was hard to believe that the wizards had managed to cause so much damage to such a strong and powerful man, one skilled both in his profession and in the ways of the realms, with such ease. One attack…one attack that could have been avoided if he had not chosen to protect Edwin, to risk his life for the sake of one wizard.

“Why did you do it?” she asked, voicing her thoughts out loud. “You care too much for other people and not enough for yourself.”

She touched his face, sliding her fingers across his cheek and his lips, up to his temples, pushing aside bits of his hair. It had grown longer that it had been when she had first met him, a lot messier, but she didn’t mind; in her eyes it only made him more attractive. She had always preferred the more rough-looking men, men like Kane and Benny who didn’t really care how they looked, over the men who spent a lot of time grooming themselves. Strong men, powerful men, who were more than capable of taking care of themselves…who she could not intimidate or seduce into doing things her way. Kane had been one of those men and Benny was another…always needing to be in control and yet she hadn’t minded as much as she pretended to.

She kissed him lightly, her lips just brushing his, and realised how pale and lifeless he looked, just lying there. He had been the first man willing to show her affection in normal situations, he had listened to her, comforted her when she was unsettled by nightmares. He understood her, knowing from his own experiences what it was like to be an outsider and to be feared by people just for being different. And in his arms she could relax, knowing that he would let no harm come to her. She trusted him…and she couldn’t lose him now.

“Come on, shapeshifter,” she whispered, pressing his hand to her cheek. “Wake up. Kane needs you. I…I need you.”

The words were true, whether she wanted them to be or not. Although their relationship had started off by being purely physical, by agreement of them both, she could not deny that her feelings were beginning to change. In recent days, she had been relying on him more and more to make her feel better, being with him made her feel happy and safe, especially when he just held her. She knew how much he really meant to her, deep down, yet part of her held back, too afraid of rejection to admit how she really felt, to show him too much of her vulnerable side. Kane had not been able to love her, so why would Benny be any different? And she was afraid of being hurt again.

After all, who could ever really love a drow?

She had done her best to stay strong up until now, but suddenly the tears were falling onto her cheeks and Viconia made no move to brush them away. She could see nothing through her tears, but suddenly she could have sworn that his hand, which she was still squeezing tightly, shifted slightly in hers.

“Benny?” She sat up straighter, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, watching him carefully. As she watched, his head turned slightly to the side, his arm moved just an inch and he groaned softly. “Kane!” She got up and roughly, hurriedly, pulled open the door, not wanting to leave his side for a moment longer than necessary. “Kane!” she called down the corridor, just hoping he could hear her. “I think Benny’s coming round!”

Next Part: Benny is finally awake…but has he suffered any permanent damage? Meanwhile, an already worried Edwin is upset when Kane utters some hurtful words.

#2 Laufey

Posted 29 December 2003 - 02:42 PM

“Aye, it never works, not really,” Korgan shook his head. “I know that young Edwin never wanted all this to ‘appen, but it still changes things. ‘E’s a walking deathtrap right now.”

“Aren’t we all?” Kane smiled faintly. “You’re right, he is. But we’ll deal with it, somehow. I’ve already sworn to slaughter every Red Wizard that crosses my path, in payment for what they did to Benny, and I’ll enjoy doing it. Besides, Edwin wouldn’t even be in this situation if he hadn’t met me, so I can hardly turn my back on him now.”

Well, finally somebody is talking sense! :wink: Good to see that Kane won't turn his back on Edwin - that would probably break his heart for good. ;)

“I know that. And yet…” he shook his head sadly. “Why does it always happen to me, Kane? I try to be a good friend to Edwin, I try to look after him and yet it is always me who gets hurt. Knowing that I died, that they actually killed me, makes me feel cold inside. Every time I close my eyes, I see them standing there in their red robes. Robes the colour of fresh blood. And whenever I think about Edwin, I just feel…angry, hurt. I saved him from Randal, I did my very best to help him in that guild, but yesterday I was killed by the wizards of his bloody homeland.”

Oh, that is just so unfair! It's not as if Edwin wanted them to do that, and I doubt he holds Cory responsible for the deeds of Randal and Flint, Shadow Thieves just like Cory. I seriously hope somebody points that out to him before long.

“Isn’t that understandable though?” Kane argued. “All right, Edwin has been exiled. They no longer consider him a Red Wizard and he can’t return to his homeland right now, but he was still born in Thay, his parents are still Red Wizards and we can’t expect him to just turn his back on everything that was once so important to him. Even I would never ask that of him.” Cory shrugged and said nothing. “Come on, arguing and blaming each other isn’t going to help anyone, is it?”

No, nobody has the right to ask that of somebody. Not even a lover. As Kane said, Edwin wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place if it wasn't for him.

“I am here,” Edwin remarked dryly, from the doorway. Cory scowled.

“How long have you been standing there?” he demanded. “Do you have to sneak up on people like that?”

“I was just passing to get some water!” Edwin scowled back, fed up with being accused by everyone even when he had done nothing wrong. “And I heard my name, so I stopped. Nothing wrong with that, is there?” Cory gave no reply.

Well and good - I'm glad to see he still has some of his bite. ;)

“Come on, shapeshifter,” she whispered, pressing his hand to her cheek. “Wake up. Kane needs you. I…I need you.”

The words were true, whether she wanted them to be or not. Although their relationship had started off by being purely physical, by agreement of them both, she could not deny that her feelings were beginning to change. In recent days, she had been relying on him more and more to make her feel better, being with him made her feel happy and safe, especially when he just held her. She knew how much he really meant to her, deep down, yet part of her held back, too afraid of rejection to admit how she really felt, to show him too much of her vulnerable side. Kane had not been able to love her, so why would Benny be any different? And she was afraid of being hurt again.

Ah, that is very sad. ;)

Next Part: Benny is finally awake…but has he suffered any permanent damage? Meanwhile, an already worried Edwin is upset when Kane utters some hurtful words.

*sigh* I hope Kane isn't about to jump on the blame ship - I doubt Edwin can take much more of it now.
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:49 PM

Well, finally somebody is talking sense! ;)

Kane: Believe me, somebody has to. And since Benny isn't in a position to do it, it has to be me.

Good to see that Kane won't turn his back on Edwin - that would probably break his heart for good. :)

Yes - it probably would. :) Though it could still happen if Kane chooses to ascend.

Oh, that is just so unfair! It's not as if Edwin wanted them to do that, and I doubt he holds Cory responsible for the deeds of Randal and Flint, Shadow Thieves just like Cory. I seriously hope somebody points that out to him before long.

Benny will probably tell him something of the sort, sooner or later. He'll find some way to get through to Cory.

No, nobody has the right to ask that of somebody. Not even a lover.

That's true and Kane can understand that. He knows that he wouldn't like it if Edwin demanded that he gave up his Bhaal taint, so therefore he can't ask Edwin to give up his family...however much he might not like them.

As Kane said, Edwin wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place if it wasn't for him.

Quite right. He has to take at least some of the blame.

Well and good - I'm glad to see he still has some of his bite. ;)

Oh yes...and he'll get even worse if they keep pushing him. ;)

Ah, that is very sad. :D

Very. :wink:

*sigh* I hope Kane isn't about to jump on the blame ship - I doubt Edwin can take much more of it now.

No, probably not. But what Kane says is even worse.

#4 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:10 AM

I am terribly sorry hat I have not been keeping up with the commenting on individual chapters. This is a very busy time of year. I hope to be a bit better at it come next year. (Sounds like a doable new years resolution to me) I always do read your story and I look forward to each new installment.

#5 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:28 PM

I am terribly sorry hat I have not been keeping up with the commenting on individual chapters. This is a very busy time of year. I hope to be a bit better at it come next year. (Sounds like a doable new years resolution to me)

Don't worry, I can be just as bad. Always promise myself that I'll find more time to comment, but things are always getting in the way. :)

I always do read your story and I look forward to each new installment.

That's always good to hear. Thank you for comemnting on this part. :twisted:

Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com