The Key to Imprisonment: Part 6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_WC_Sumpton_*

Posted 18 December 2003 - 07:03 AM

That face…

Darkness enveloped her. Caught, Moira felt herself falling deeper into its veil. Being pull towards the past within her. “.. we must resume your training…” Five years unremembered, unlived…

“Come to me…”

A sudden sharp pain bit deep into her right shoulder as the blackness of the past’s shroud cocooned tighter around her. She was being held immobile, unable to get up, unable to move… Unable to Run!

“Easy my creature of beauty. Easy.” The voice was rich and sweet. The words a melody of concern, each a note of their very own. Their effects seemed to shatter the bonds that terrorized her inner mind. “The poison has abated, and now you must rest.”

“Where...?” She tried to speak but could tell that her words were unintelligible, her throat still tightly gripped. Her eyes refused to gain focus past the darkened haze that floated before her.

“Safe, beauty of two legs.” Water was being pressed to her lips, its coolness a salvation to a body gluten with terror. “Now you must sleep some more.”

The words brought a darkness with their music. An easy darkness, a darkness of rest and healing. There would be no more dreams of faces this night, these words assured her, and she welcomed the sleep this darkness brought.

“Ye did that ‘ell, elfling.” The gruff voice complemented from behind Moira’s caregiver.

“I care not to see another gravemarker this night.” Tenderly the half-elf lifted the bandage that covered Moira’s right shoulder. “What little aid I can provide to prevent such, then I shell do.” The healing process was already beginning. A bit of potion added to her water, in the morning, when her strength returned, she could take the rest to complete the process. She would survive… this time.

“Ye still be needin’ this fire?” Came the gruff voice again, showing as much concern as the dwarvan drawl could produce.

“She is so completely soaked from the rains, Gilliam, that the heat from your fire does more wondrous good then all the concoctions one may carry in a little bottle.”

“As ye be wishin’, elfling.” The dwarf grunted back.

Gently Mouran creased a locket of Moira’s black hair, which laid across her face, before softly brushing it aside. “Sleep my young woman of elegance, sleep.”

Slowly he turned and sat next to the small fire. Some small, half eaten animal, that Gilliam had caught, still roasted. The dwarf was sitting across from him and between them was an impressive mound of equipment.

Gauntlets of Dexterity, Boots of Speed, Crom Faeyr, each piece an impressive find on the own, but when combined together… Anomen Delryn had the appearance of an indestructible mountain of mass devastation. Now Mouran understood why.

Reaching over to exam more closely one of the more curious items, Mouran was startled to find he hand shaking. As he stared in wonderment, their constant twitching increased and soon he found his whole arms in violent motion. Soon he found his entire body trembling uncontrollably, and then very quickly the fear gripped his stomach in painful knots of terror. Trying to stand, but the bard found that he could not straiten. Taking one small step away from the fire, the half-elf doubled over. Everything that he had eaten this day took a place on the ground before him, and the wrenching did not stop there.

Gilliam watched his unwilling traveling companion in silent pity. Having spent the better part of his life within bars and playhouses, most of the worst experiences the bard would have witnessed would have been contained with this environment. Swordplay, accompanied by a minor spell or two, would have been the worse. Of course he may have described greater horrors with his storytelling, but there would have been nothing in his life to prepare him for what they had found.

The equipment laid in the middle of the muddy road. Their disjointed condition told both on-comers that whatever remained within was no longer altogether in one piece. The great hammer was lain separately, evidently the mighty warrior had been able to pull his favorite weapon. But what was it that he was attacking?

The body of an elvan female archer, bolt still loaded in her crossbow, was discovered close by Anomen’s remains. But the placement of both remains proved that neither had attacked the other. Also Mouran had removed a similar bolt for Moira’s shoulder.

Gilliam remembered Anomen’s confrontation with the three assassins within his guild house. The mess that these bodies caused would take at least a week to clean, yet here there was no blood. With the exception of the pool that had leaked out from the downed armor.

The assailants had to have been human, Gilliam felt sure. Moira had fallen not to far from where Anomen laid, her body heat clearly visible to him when he looked to where the storyteller had pointed. It also meant that there could have been more the two other combatants. If the group of humans were any larger, the thief felt sure, the would have quickly discovered Moira’s location.

Two, and Gilliam was quite certain that it had been a single mage that had killed both Anomen and the mysterious elvan archer. And whomever the human wizard was, he was sure to be welding great magical powers. The battle here could not have been a prolonged fight, Gilliam was sure that he and Mouran were not to far behind the fleeing couple.

Now the thief’s own hand began to shake. They had not wanted to move Moira, fearing that it might prove fatal in the condition in which they had found her. But she was better now, and what if the mysterious mage returned? And…

No, Gilliam willed a calmness over his body. Fear, self made in one’s own mind was their worse enemy right now. Mouran was once again reseated by the fire, and the thief watched as the half-elf was taking long deep breaths, regaining control of his body from the confines of his unconscious mind. Slowly their eyes came together and lock onto one another, bard to thief, dwarf to half-elf.

Gilliam felt a slow, small smile of reassurance develop and let it hang from his features for a moment. Yes he was scared too, and with a slight nod of his head to the recovering storyteller, he rolled away from the fire and melted into the night. Being scared did not mean one would wait for the creatures of darkness to come at them. He would take the watch this night.

It was not long that the notes of a harp were soon heard, and this was followed closely by the instrument’s owner’s sweet voice.

“The beauty before me
The death all around me
“Her story soon to unfold
“No paper, Nor charcoal, Have I

“The pictures I will draw
Of this beauty I saw
“Her story soon shall be told

“This beauty lives with horrors
And I with her terrors
“Her song still needs completing

“The roads I shall travel
Her life will unravel
“Her song I soon shall be singing
“No paper, Nor charcoal, Have I”

‘Travelers?’

The thought quickly vanished from Pa’Tria’s mind as he looked toward the fire off into the night. He was quite certain he knew whom the four occupants of the little campsite.

No sooner had he made his dash away from the Guild into the shadow across the street, then he heard the front door of the Guild bang open. The new commotion brought the quickly escaping assassin to a sudden halt, as he froze within the shadow of his new concealment. Fear that he had been discovered brought a stillness to Pa’Tria that he would never have thought possible. Moving his eyes only, he watched as two familial figures emerged.

First was the useless story telling bard, Mouran Covriv. And his form was quickly followed by the dwarf, and temporary Guild Master, Gilliam Bloodtoes. But the two rogues did not head towards him, but instead headed after the couple that proceeded them all towards the front gate.

And now here they were, all four of them together. Had he been set up? Was there more going on the his discovery of the ‘Essence’? Had they planed to trap Pa’Tria and kill the ‘Greatest of Assassin’, so that Moira could be easily moved to another hiding place? That would explain why the dwarf was there. But what of the bard? Pa’Tria knew of Mouran’s special abilities, and his presents at the campfire was more confusing?

Well the assassin no longer possessed his favorite dagger, having lost it during combat with the young witch, and he presently was not in any condition to do battle with any one of them, much less all four together.

His original plan was to journey through the night, and hopefully arrive at the abandoned farmhouse at daybreak. The pain in his legs an back were subsiding a little with the excursion of his travels, but his head still ached terribly. At least the rain had stopped.

If he were to reach his goal, he knew he could not stop. Doing so now would let his body give out, and he was quite sure he would not be able to continue without an extended rest. Quietly then, the assassin turned his back to the fire light and resumed his travels into the night.

The sounds of harp strings, and a sweet voice following him.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:25 PM

[quote]
“Where...?” She tried to speak but could tell that her words were unintelligible, her throat still tightly gripped. Her eyes refused to gain focus past the darkened haze that floated before her.
[/quote]

[quote]
“Safe, beauty of two legs.” Water was being pressed to her lips, its coolness a salvation to a body gluten with terror. “Now you must sleep some more.”
[/quote]

[quote]
The words brought a darkness with their music. An easy darkness, a darkness of rest and healing. There would be no more dreams of faces this night, these words assured her, and she welcomed the sleep this darkness brought.
[/quote]

Uh... what was that dream about... her first capture? :)

[quote]
“I care not to see another gravemarker this night.” Tenderly the half-elf lifted the bandage that covered Moira’s right shoulder. “What little aid I can provide to prevent such, then I shell do.” The healing process was already beginning. A bit of potion added to her water, in the morning, when her strength returned, she could take the rest to complete the process. She would survive… this time.
[/quote]

Pfew!

[quote]
Gauntlets of Dexterity, Boots of Speed, Crom Faeyr, each piece an impressive find on the own, but when combined together… Anomen Delryn had the appearance of an indestructible mountain of mass devastation. Now Mouran understood why.
[/quote]

And still, he was stopped... ;)

[quote]
Two, and Gilliam was quite certain that it had been a single mage that had killed both Anomen and the mysterious elvan archer. And whomever the human wizard was, he was sure to be welding great magical powers. The battle here could not have been a prolonged fight, Gilliam was sure that he and Mouran were not to far behind the fleeing couple.
[/quote]

Yep... anyone who can take out a post-ToB Bhaalspawn, should be feared...

[quote]
It was not long that the notes of a harp were soon heard, and this was followed closely by the instrument’s owner’s sweet voice.
[/quote]

[quote]
“The beauty before me
The death all around me
“Her story soon to unfold
[/quote]

[quote]
“The pictures I will draw
Of this beauty I saw
“Her story soon shall be told
[/quote]

[quote]
“This beauty lives with horrors
And I with her terrors
“Her song still needs completing
[/quote]

[quote]
“The roads I shall travel
Her life will unravel
“Her song I soon shall be singing
[quote]

Hehehe... has the bard already been fascianted by lil' Moira's charms?

[quote]
The thought quickly vanished from Pa’Tria’s mind as he looked toward the fire off into the night. He was quite certain he knew whom the four occupants of the little campsite.
[/quote]

Ah, our favorite mindless assassin?

[quote]
If he were to reach his goal, he knew he could not stop. Doing so now would let his body give out, and he was quite sure he would not be able to continue without an extended rest. Quietly then, the assassin turned his back to the fire light and resumed his travels into the night.
[/quote]

And he's determined to continue being a nuisance...

#3 Guest_WC_Sumpton_*

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:06 PM

Uh... what was that dream about... her first capture? :)

Sort of... Poor Moira remembers the face, just not all the facts.

Pfew!

Couldn't have said it better...

And still, he was stopped... :)

But he protected his daughter. Which was Ano's main priority...

Yep... anyone who can take out a post-ToB Bhaalspawn, should be feared...

There is more to this witch then we know...

Hehehe... has the bard already been fascianted by lil' Moira's charms?

;)

Ah, our favorite mindless assassin?

Time for some comic releaf

And he's determined to continue being a nuisance...

And a pain...

Thanks for commenting...

#4 Laufey

Posted 20 December 2003 - 12:56 PM

Not much to say, except I'm still enjoying the story. Events that stuck out was the finding of Anomen's corpse...it's a scary thing to think about who might be able to kill a ToB hero that easily indeed. :lol: Also liked the song.

Oh, and about Pa'Trian...there's a dagger in HotU that is useful for assassins but has the slight drawback of lowering intelligence. :shock:
Rogues do it from behind.

#5 Guest_WC_Sumpton_*

Posted 21 December 2003 - 03:56 AM

Not much to say, except I'm still enjoying the story. Events that stuck out was the finding of Anomen's corpse...it's a scary thing to think about who might be able to kill a ToB hero that easily indeed. :) Also liked the song.

The vilians have to look insurmountable...

Oh, and about Pa'Trian...there's a dagger in HotU that is useful for assassins but has the slight drawback of lowering intelligence. ;)

:) In Pa'Tria's case I don't think that would help him to much... :D

Thanks for commenting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com