All That Glitters...54

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:03 AM

And time finally runs out on one little thing that people have been noticing. Yes, changes are in the wind - but aren't they always?

Chapter Fifty-Four

They returned to Athkatla a day later, at nighttime. They made it to the Flagons under cover of darkness and settled in quickly, picking up an extra room for Nalia while Keldorn returned to the High Hall of the Radiant Heart. Kal decided that the time was as good as any and with the money received from Nalia, set up an arrangement whereby the party would more or less own the entire top floor, paying double normal rate a month at a time. One thing he'd realized early was that the best way to keep Nalia safe was to make sure that whoever was chasing her didn't know where she was.

Anomen went to sleep early, and Yoshimo headed out for information once more, anxious to know what had happened during his week's absence. Nalia secluded herself in her room, what the party had decided together was the best thing to do. Nalia was perfectly comfortable with that arrangement as well, especially since Kal had handed over all of the party's scroll cases and accumulated scrolls. Nalia had an elemental kind of joy in playing with magic, like any toddler did when playing with blocks. Under the circumstances, she was more than willing to spend time improvising and studying...especially driven by the desire to improve herself enough to destroy her father's killers.

"Keldorn...you know, he's starting to soften a bit towards you," Kal said, idly playing with Viconia's hair as they sat together in his room.

Viconia laughed. "Soften a bit? One might say that. I prefer ‘confused', myself, and it is far from certain that his opinion will continue in that direction."

"As long as it's a step up from ‘blind, unthinking hate,' I'll take it. Besides, confusion can turn out well, sometimes - as I'm sure you know."

"That," Viconia said, "is not fair."

"Why, I was speaking in the abstract, naturally. Not making any allusions whatsoever to certain, er, personal experience you may or may not have had. Which, of course...."

"Quiet, you. Your point is made."

"Good," he said. "Though I really do hope that Keldorn relaxes a little more in the future. It'd be good for him and better for us."

"Better for him," Viconia disagreed. "After all, you are not as likely to die from shock. While I am not particularly fond of him, he is effective, and it is far better if he stays alive to be effective." Viconia paused, then said, "On the subject of internal conflict, you seem to have sparked quite the flame in the squire. Why did you take so long to inform him of how stupid he was being?"

"Ah, well, telling him that he's stupid just...would not work as well. He would have started snapping at me and gotten all prickly and defensive. I much preferred to wait for him to trap himself, and he did so...quite effectively." Kal yawned, and shook his head. "I didn't realize that I was so tired."

"You had better not be," Viconia warned, though she was smiling. "Because I am not tired. I prefer to be tired before I sleep."

"Oh, come on," Kal teased. "What cheap romance novel was that borrowed from? There are certainly more intelligent - not to mention, more creative and poetic - ways to express the same...." Then Viconia kissed him, which turned out to be quite effective at shutting him up. For the rest of the night, at least.

Viconia awoke. It wasn't like any usual awakening, however. There was nothing in particular that woke her up; no sound, no sensation, no smell. Nothing out of the ordinary at all, except for the fact that her sleepiness had, suddenly, simply vanished. She wasn't even drowsy, and judging by the marks on the candle she'd been asleep less than two hours. By all rights she should be blinking sleep out of her eyes or at the very least slightly disoriented.

She sat up, trying to find out what had woken her up. There was no draft in the room, no light beside that of the candle - which had been burning for several hours, and which was a dim light anyway. She wasn't cold, despite the fact that her clothing was draped over the chairs on the left side of the room. Her eyes took a long look around the room, scanning carefully for intruders - but there wasn't a one to be seen. There can't be any intruders, she reasoned. The windows are barred, and Celestis is hanging on the door outside - she would have screamed an alarm. Kal was sleeping obliviously beside her, and he didn't even snore (well, not loudly) - so she couldn't imagine a thing he might have done to wake her up.

Presently she shrugged and curled up next to Kal again, closing her eyes, trying to make sleep come to her despite her mind's insistence on remaining completely alert and awake. It appeared that there was nothing but darkness.

You have grown lax, my priestess.

Viconia sat bolt upright at the sound. It seemed to roll through her mind like a wave, even though its tone was smooth and volume soft, carrying unmistakable overtones of deific power. She knew no one else could hear it.

You have forgotten much, Viconia DeVir. There is never ‘nothing but darkness'. Darkness is. You would do well to remember that, my priestess. Or should I even call you that any more?

Viconia scrambled out of the bed and knelt on the floor. No, my goddess. I am faithful. I pray every night. I have not failed you.

You have not? The mental voice carried a hint of amusement...but where Shar was concerned, that could easily be anger, simply bottled inside until it became dark hatred. I would disagree. And as I'm sure you know very well, mine is the only opinion that counts.

I...without a doubt, my goddess. Let your humble servant know how she has failed, that I may return myself to favour in your eyes.

There was a telepathically projected frown. Not the image, but the sense of what a frown was. You know not? Then you have drifted further than I thought you had. I should not have waited so long before checking on you.

Viconia remained silent. Shar had not addressed her, and when conversing with gods, speak only when spoken to was a very good rule to follow.

Such shallow things you have allowed yourself to be drawn to. You are weak, Viconia DeVir, are you not? You have been weak, yes?

Y-yes, my goddess. I...I have been weak.

Hope, you have said you have found. What a shallow construct hope is. Trust, you say you have found. Trust, my priestess, is for the foolish. Once long ago you knew this well. No longer, it seems. And you ‘love'. Such worthlessness. Pathetic.

The image of Kal came unbidden to Viconia's mind, and Shar read it as easily as one might read a book.

Do not delude yourself, my priestess. He uses you, as many used you in the past. He is more devious than most, but he uses you. You hope for a future with him, but there is no future. This shall end in failure, and you know this to be true. A pause. Though it is partly your fault, for allowing yourself to be taken in by his lies. For allowing yourself to believe that there is hope, that you deserve a more pleasing life. Such is foolishness. Weakness. Do you not agree?

I...I agree, my goddess.
What else could she say?

Any happiness that may lie in your future is by my will, and my will alone. And I see no happiness in your future along this path, my priestess. For you have not been faithful. You have hoped and you have trusted. Shall I still call you one of my own?

I...I beg of you, let me return to your grace. What...what must I do, Dark Goddess?

You presume there is something you
can do, Shar answered in a tone of mild reproach that carried behind it a viper's bite. You presume too much, foolish drow, but I shall, out of my own mercy, offer you a path toward regaining my favour.

Lead me, my goddess, and I shall follow.

It is a simple matter,
Shar said with a dark chuckle. Without a sound to mark the event, a jagged-edged dagger appeared out of nowhere to float in the air, point-down, in front of Viconia's clasped hands. It radiated a silent crackling purple aura of lightning, that seemed to make any light it touched even darker. It slowly turned to point toward Kal's sleeping form.

Kill him.

Viconia felt faint, and shocked. Surely there must be another - she began.

There is ‘surely' NOTHING! Shar roared through Viconia's mind. I decide what it takes to regain my favour, Viconia DeVir. This. Is. It.

But, Viconia began, grasping at straws, you forbid me from using bladed weapons!

The restriction is lifted,
Shar replied irritably. No technicality shall hold me back from what I desire.

With uncertain steps, Viconia rose to her feet and took up the dagger. It vibrated with power in her grasp, spreading a sharp-edged sensation of cold through her hands, though it was not unpleasant.

She circled around the bed, to Kal's side where he still slept, doubtlessly kept asleep by Shar. With trembling hands, she raised it over Kal's sleeping form, positioned directly above his heart.

She could not stop thinking of Kal - all of her memories of her short - but so deliriously happy - moments with him running through her mind. And while she thought, the dagger stayed in place; still above Kal's heart, but no lower.

Eventually, after some length of time, which Viconia could not determine, Shar made herself known again. You have hesitated long enough, Viconia DeVir. Kill him. Now.

Viconia's hands trembled, slowly raising the blade for the fatal stroke, then, almost reflexively, bringing it back to its original position. She tried again...and did not strike, again.

You test my patience, Viconia DeVir, Shar said with definite anger in her voice. Delay no more, or face your punishment.

Viconia raised the dagger again, in a smooth, strong motion this time...and cast it aside. It clattered soundlessly on the floor. No. I will not do it.

You dare defy me? Shar thundered. The darkness of the room grew darker, and shadows crept inward toward Viconia threateningly.

I will not do it, Viconia repeated, somehow finding the strength within herself to resist Shar's overpowering presence.

You shall suffer, Viconia DeVir. I withhold my power from you! You are powerless once more, Viconia DeVir, and see how long his ‘love' lasts once you are utterly useless! Then you shall return to me, grovelling...and then you shall see!

And with that, Shar was gone. The sense of presence which accompanied the goddess' manifestation simply disappeared, along with the dagger, and the shadows retreated again. With them went all of Viconia's prepared spells, and Viconia knew she would get no more.

Shuddering all over, Viconia climbed back on to her side of the bed, and drew the covers over herself again, holding Kal tightly. She was suddenly very cold.

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:16 PM

That is quite a twist. Great chapter:)

#3 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:44 PM

That is quite a twist. Great chapter:)

Thanks, though I don't really see it as a twist. It had to happen. Shar doesn't like things such as, oh, healthy relationships.

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I was waiting for this. It was very nicely done, too. I wonder what happens next - it will surely mean an identity crisis or something like that for Viconia.

Will she be able to gather courage and seek a new patron deity, having betrayed two of them already?

How will she cope with being useless to the party without her skills?

Bad, bad times ahead for our favorite drow. :wink:

Actually, from your reply to my earlier comment, when I pointed out that your Viconia is even less of as Sharran than the in-game one, I figured out that I cannot avoid addressing this issue in my story either. Not for long, anyway - since my Viconia is in romance as well... I understand that it may sound like I'm stealing your idea, but I hope you won't be too angry. :D I believe that there will be enough differences in our takes on the situation, to avoid me looking like a cheap copycat. :wink:

Cheers,
Theo

#5 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:12 PM

Bad, bad times ahead for our favorite drow. :wink:

Not quite so many as you might think.

Actually, from your reply to my earlier comment, when I pointed out that your Viconia is even less of as Sharran than the in-game one, I figured out that I cannot avoid addressing this issue in my story either. Not for long, anyway - since my Viconia is in romance as well... I understand that it may sound like I'm stealing your idea, but I hope you won't be too angry. :D I believe that there will be enough differences in our takes on the situation, to avoid me looking like a cheap copycat. :wink:

Theo, if "Viconia splitting with Shar" is specific enough to be a copyable idea, I'm as guilty as you would be. Weyoun and Darkwolf have already both written Viconia conversions (both, in fact, to Selûne). I don't consider either of those copies of each other, nor do I think I'm copying them. And of course, if you did the same thing, it certainly wouldn't be a copy. We're all writing in the same world, there are bound to be similar elements, and I am not bothered by that. Write the story as it comes to you, and don't let fears of "copying" stop you.

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:26 PM

Theo, if "Viconia splitting with Shar" is specific enough to be a copyable idea, I'm as guilty as you would be. Weyoun and Darkwolf have already both written Viconia conversions (both, in fact, to Selûne).

I think Wey's converted to Tymora, though. :D

I don't consider either of those copies of each other, nor do I think I'm copying them. And of course, if you did the same thing, it certainly wouldn't be a copy. We're all writing in the same world, there are bound to be similar elements, and I am not bothered by that. Write the story as it comes to you, and don't let fears of "copying" stop you.

Alright. :wink: I just needed to hear that... hmm, now for the difficult part - finding Viconia a suitable deity... :wink:

#7 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:42 PM

I think Wey's converted to Tymora, though. :D

In TnT, yes. In his Karis/Vierna/etc. line, Viconia is Selûnite.

#8 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 12:58 AM

Nalia secluded herself in her room, what the party had decided together was the best thing to do. Nalia was perfectly comfortable with that arrangement as well, especially since Kal had handed over all of the party's scroll cases and accumulated scrolls. Nalia had an elemental kind of joy in playing with magic, like any toddler did when playing with blocks. Under the circumstances, she was more than willing to spend time improvising and studying...especially driven by the desire to improve herself enough to destroy her father's killers.

The first sentence sounds odd. Other than that, nice description of what being a mage feels like.

"Why, I was speaking in the abstract, naturally. Not making any allusions whatsoever to certain, er, personal experience you may or may not have had. Which, of course...."

:D

"Ah, well, telling him that he's stupid just...would not work as well. He would have started snapping at me and gotten all prickly and defensive. I much preferred to wait for him to trap himself, and he did so...quite effectively." Kal yawned, and shook his head. "I didn't realize that I was so tired."

He is wise :wink:

"Oh, come on," Kal teased. "What cheap romance novel was that borrowed from? There are certainly more intelligent - not to mention, more creative and poetic - ways to express the same...." Then Viconia kissed him, which turned out to be quite effective at shutting him up. For the rest of the night, at least.

There is the body language, too :D

There was a telepathically projected frown. Not the image, but the sense of what a frown was. You know not? Then you have drifted further than I thought you had. I should not have waited so long before checking on you.

This is horrible :D In the game too, I think Viconia expresses some very un-Sharran sentiments during the romance. And as for CN Anomen and Helm... :wink:

Hope, you have said you have found. What a shallow construct hope is. Trust, you say you have found. Trust, my priestess, is for the foolish. Once long ago you knew this well. No longer, it seems. And you ‘love'. Such worthlessness. Pathetic.[/i]

Many wounded people think like Sharrans in RL.

Eventually, after some length of time, which Viconia could not determine, Shar made herself known again. You have hesitated long enough, Viconia DeVir. Kill him. Now.

Horrible! My muscles clench as I read.

Viconia raised the dagger again, in a smooth, strong motion this time...and cast it aside. It clattered soundlessly on the floor. No. I will not do it.

Viconia has turned away from evil, not just from Lolth. The better gods protect her.

Shuddering all over, Viconia climbed back on to her side of the bed, and drew the covers over herself again, holding Kal tightly. She was suddenly very cold.

Eeeek! More, and soon! I must see what happens!

#9 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 03:50 AM

The first sentence sounds odd. Other than that, nice description of what being a mage feels like.

The first sentence is a mistake. I clipped the middle out of it and forgot to fix it. As for the rest of it, it's not what a mage feels like, it's what Nalia feels like. Other mages can't play around with spells the way she does.

This is horrible :twisted: In the game too, I think Viconia expresses some very un-Sharran sentiments during the romance. And as for CN Anomen and Helm... :twisted:

Yeah. They didn't really have the words to really deal with the issue properly in the game. But yes, Viconia stops being a Sharran quite soon into the SoA romance, and definitely turns away in ToB.

Many wounded people think like Sharrans in RL.

The same in the Realms, too, which is why you will find people of all alignments offering a few words to Shar. They pray that she will help them forget it, which she does. What she doesn't offer, however, is resolution or closure - just blankness.

Eeeek! More, and soon! I must see what happens!

Ain't no thirty minute sitcom plot, though. I'm not resolving it quite so soon :twisted:

#10 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:49 PM

I suppose this was inevitable, given the way things have been going lately - but it's going to be very hard on Viconia. Without her spells she's going to be hard put to be of much use to the party in a combat situation, and that's going to be humiliating for her no matter how supportive Kal is.

Guess it'll be a problem for the group, too, to lose their main healer - sure they've got Ano, but he's one of the most likely to get injured, being in the front line.

Great chapter, anyway - I thought you portrayed Viconia's feelings very well. Interesting that she seemed to be very unprepared for this to happen - I hope she doesn't start to have too many second thoughts as the consequences sink in.

#11 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:59 PM

I suppose this was inevitable, given the way things have been going lately - but it's going to be very hard on Viconia. Without her spells she's going to be hard put to be of much use to the party in a combat situation, and that's going to be humiliating for her no matter how supportive Kal is.

Yes. After all, she hasn't entirely discarded her "effectiveness" rankings of people entirely just yet, and being a mediocre fighter isn't exactly something that's very effective.

Guess it'll be a problem for the group, too, to lose their main healer - sure they've got Ano, but he's one of the most likely to get injured, being in the front line.

Not to mention that Ano's not all that good of a healer anyway. In this story, Anomen started out much lower level than he does in the game, because there's no possible explanation as to how a mere squire starts as a fighter 7/cleric 8.

Great chapter, anyway - I thought you portrayed Viconia's feelings very well. Interesting that she seemed to be very unprepared for this to happen - I hope she doesn't start to have too many second thoughts as the consequences sink in.

Viconia was never all that invested in Shar's point of view. Even in BG1 she's only vaguely Shar-ish, not really as devoted as a priest should be, except the part where she gets power from it. Naturally, this begs the question as to why Shar wanted her in the first place...but that answer isn't to come for a little while.

#12 Laufey

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:23 AM

Sorry for being brief, but I wanted to comment as soon as possible, despite being rushed. :twisted: This was just excellent, very gripping and moving. Dark and disturbing, just as Shar herself, and the goddess was just as I envision her. Viconia's emotions certainly felt believable to me, and I can't wait to see how she copes with her loss.

Bravo, and please continue soon! :wink:
Rogues do it from behind.

#13 Guest_Tenebrous_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:08 AM

Sorry for being brief, but I wanted to comment as soon as possible, despite being rushed. :twisted: This was just excellent, very gripping and moving. Dark and disturbing, just as Shar herself, and the goddess was just as I envision her. Viconia's emotions certainly felt believable to me, and I can't wait to see how she copes with her loss.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I can really get into character as Shar. Shar and Aerie...I scare myself sometimes.

Bravo, and please continue soon! :wink:

Continue, absolutely. Conclude? Not so fast :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com