Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 7.13.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:06 PM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :) Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… ;)

And here’s the final fight as promised… with some twists of course and a bit of a nasty cliffhanger at the end. My humble apologies for that… ;)

Imoen awaits the two of us upstairs and slowly we head off to join the others, already having gathered around the strange gate. Imoen retrieves all five of the glistering Tears; they look like large pearls as I place them all on my palm.

“I wonder what will happen with him,” Imoen speaks up suddenly, “Sarevok, I mean.”

“I am surprised that it concerns you, Imoen,” Jaheira says sternly, “do you not hate him still for what he has done?”

“Oh… sure, I guess… but still… I mean – will he remain in this cold place for eternity?” Imoen asks, “I dunno… it sounds harsh, doesn’t it? What is the point of that?”

“Yes, but perhaps that is precisely the ‘point’,” Jaheira replies, “Perhaps this is the price that he must pay for his crimes… Interesting, but it seems that here, his spirit is not being put through the eternal torment that the souls in the Abyss have to go through. And a few people with lesser crimes to their credit, have ended up there.”

“I don’t know… he seemed so… hmm, how long has it been?” I ask, puzzled, “almost a year since we killed him? And yet, he seemed to be… much the same as when he died…”

“And what did you expect to see?” Jaheira asks.

“Hmm… I am not entirely sure… but wouldn’t you expect that he would have used the time to think over things and come to some realizations… to have learned at least something?” I ask her in return, “Does that not concern you? I mean… I didn’t think that if I ever was to meet Sarevok again, he would kindly offer me to share a keg of ale with him, but… I feel a bit depressed, because I don’t think that he is actually encouraged to learn, to seek atonement… as Imoen says, it feels so pointless… you don’t think so?”

“I have only one thing in my mind, right now,” she turns her head to send a brief smile to me, “and that is to get out of here in one piece and make sure that you both do so as well. Perhaps I will think of Sarevok’s predicament, once we are in safety… there is no time for idle musings until we are in grave danger.”

We catch up with our friends at the gate and I take my time in inspecting it, looking for the slots to insert the Tears and open the doorway… and those five huge eyeballs that surround the door, seem quite an appropriate option if one can establish a connection between a tear and an eye… I place one of the Tears against the pupil of the eye and with a start feel the Tear dissolving in my hand and the eyeball suddenly closes shut. I gulp, before looking at my friends and they try to give me encouraging looks as I proceed to press the Tears into their places… until I reach the last one.

I stop for a moment to look back at my companions. “This is it,” I say, “I… I feel that I should perhaps say something… but… I am… err… too frightened to think of anything…”

“I believe in you, Theodur,” Jaheira is the only one who opens her mouth to reply as she comes to stand beside me, “And I believe that we will not fail.”

I feel a rush of excitement, as if her simple words would have given me a load of much needed courage and without hesitation I press the last Tear into its location. The door slides open slowly and our friends gather around behind us… and as the door opens fully, I see that Irenicus is indeed on the other side and he is not alone.

“A couple of glabrezu’s and a couple of balor’s,” Edwin mutters, “how unimaginative from a wizard of supposedly godlike powers, pah!”

“So, we are to battle one last time,” he looks upon us, hands crossed upon his chest, “No more hiding for either of us. I will enjoy destroying you, Theodur… know that to die in this place means to cease to exist!”

“We have beaten you twice already, Irenicus,” I snarl, “Do you think that these demons of yours will make any difference?”

“You have… beaten me, before I could draw upon the knowledge that this place had to offer,” Irenicus sounds very assured indeed, “You can shrink from it if you will, but I will not look upon the power it can bring! And I will use it to ensure that you are the one who remains to rot here!”

No long speeches, no issuing of threats and insults… we all know very well what we must do to survive this and to stand a chance of return to the mortal plane. Four of us pounce upon the demons swiftly, Edwin and Imoen chanting furiously before Irenicus has managed to raise the walls of protections around him. I dispose of the glabrezu quickly enough, nimbly avoiding its attacks and staying out of the reach of its long arms as it vainly tries to grab me… and soon enough my sword ensures that this glabrezu will never again prey on another victim.

A quick glance around the battlefield reveals that Jaheira has just disposed of the demon that was besetting her and we turn to rush and help Keldorn and Viconia with the two balor’s who are without question the more dangerous opponents. We don’t make it quite in time, however.

With a sudden jerk, Keldorn’s opponent pushes him aside and reaches out to grab Viconia by her neck and pulls her backwards and the surprised drow loses her balance… immediately, the other balor exploits the opening and delivers a devastating blow to Viconia’s unprotected chest, and with a loud cry she collapses and lies still.

A moment of shock overcomes us from the sight of her falling, no doubt badly injured, if not even worse… but we cannot allow ourselves to think about it now and we immediately overwhelm the balor and it falls quickly under our combined blows…

“Drag her out of here lest we stomp on her!” I yell to Jaheira and after a moment of hesitation she jumps to Viconia’s side and carefully pulls her away from the battlefield as Keldorn and I now concentrate our attacks upon the last remaining demon.

Meanwhile, Edwin and Imoen are still exchanging magical assaults with Irenicus, countering Irenicus’s attempts to raise a barrier of protections with their counterspells… At least, this tactic prevents Irenicus from casting any powerful offensive spells, even though it takes Imoen a great effort to maintain her composure, knowing that Viconia is badly hurt and tears already trickle down her face.

“She will live!” Jaheira yells to us all as she rises from the floor and comes to our aid to finish the last of the demons and it falls soon after her rejoining the frontlines, “her armor is so badly caved in that it has probably broken her thorax and some ribs… she cannot partake in the fight, I shall heal her fully later!” Jaheira shouts as we slowly and carefully move forwards to surround Irenicus, who suddenly stops casting his spell and glares at us coldly.

“You think that it is over now, do you?” he says, “yes, no doubt that your magelings are educated enough to counter most of my spells and I have not had the time to refresh my repertoire and my contingencies since our last battle. But do you have something to counter this with?”

Irenicus stands tall as he speaks and after the words have left his lips, an eerie light envelops him and I see that his form is starting to blur and… shift… yes, I can discern his hands, slowly adopting the shape of long, hideous claws… claws of The Slayer. My worst predictions come true… he is not arrogant enough to turn down the humble offerings of a lowly human-worshipped deity…

“Everyone, fall back!” I yell, retreating to run out of Irenicus’s immediate sight, though I know that Slayer’s senses will draw him to us, regardless. “Summon something to distract him, quickly!” I command and Edwin and Jaheira quickly comply and send a horde of animals to where the Slayer now stands.

“There is only one possible way, now,” I say, looking at my companion’s faces, “we can’t take him… not in this form. Jaheira, you know the strength of the Slayer, you must agree…”

She nods reluctantly at my words, no doubt resenting the plan that I will offer, but wise enough to acknowledge that it indeed is the only way…

“Imoen! Quickly! Mass Invisibility on everyone!” I shout at her and she snaps out her shocked state and starts the casting, “and, please… don’t dare to interfere in our fight! You will only get yourselves killed, if not by Irenicus, then… by me… please, Jaheira, promise me that!”

But at this moment the invisibility spell covers them all, and I find myself all alone in this depressing plane, only reminder of other life forms are the anguished cries of the summoned animals as The Slayer mows them down under his claws. And I realize that there is not much time, unless I want to be the next one slaughtered… quickly, I close my eyes and direct my thoughts to mentally converse with the old bastard.

“AH, SO THE DECIDING BATTLE IS ON. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS, SON. YOU KNOW… I AM PROUD OF YOU,” Bhaal laughs, “YOU HAD THE LARGEST PART OF MY ESSENCE AND WHAT YOU HAVE NOW, MAKES YOU… ONE OF MANY, NOT NECESSARILY THE ONE WHO WILL TAKE OVER MY THRONE. BUT THE ONE WHO WILL PREVAIL IN THIS FIGHT, YOU OR THE SORCERER… THE WINNER SHALL BE THE PRIME CANDIDATE TO SUCCEED ME.”

“Ah, stop yapping, old fool,” I snarl, “get on with it, or else I’ll be crushed like a bug, he’s heading my way!”

“OH, WORRY NOT, SON,” Bhaal cackles, “I WOULD NOT DARE MISS A MATCH UP LIKE THIS, TWO SLAYERS GOING HEAD TO HEAD WITH EACH OTHER… OH, AND BY THE WAY SON. I HAVE PLACED MY BETS ON YOU… HAHAHA!”

The transformation is that much more smoother than the previous time when I faced Bodhi… true, I still do not see much, the darkness is overwhelming, but I can sense, feel a blurry shape in front of me and I know it is him. He crashes into me like a breakaway wagon running off the hill and I feel the wind being knocked out of me.

Once again, I am faced with the peculiar situation in which I have only vague sense of what is going on and have very little control over my transformed body… but at least the instinct controls it and I feel my legs, my hands hitting out at Irenicus, clawing, tearing, and biting at him. The only sense that the taint follows is to kill, to maim, to murder everyone in sight, and since the only one around me is my most hated enemy, I have no objection to the desires of the instinct.

The pain that suddenly strikes me in the chest and slowly starts to expand throughout my body, is sharp and almost unbearable… apparently Irenicus has managed to land a blow and I feel something protruding inside my chest and tearing at my insides… and I scream from the top of my lungs, but the Slayer that now possesses me, stays silent and continues to fight on.

In the corner of my mind I suddenly feel… I think that… I hear another scream, not mine, but someone else’s… but it can’t be Irenicus, can it? And then… then I feel his grip on me broken, only for a moment, but enough for the Slayer to reorganize and form a counterattack, and I can feel how its claws sink into Irenicus’s flesh, tearing it apart, its fangs biting deep into Irenicus’s shoulder and neck, ripping them to small bits… and the punches coming from Irenicus are growing weaker and weaker, until they subside completely and forever.

I freeze and become completely numb; my body, but also my mind, my senses… and then the rays of the bright, condensing light that overflow me, filling me with a feeling that I cannot quite discern. And then it all ends abruptly… and everything slumps back to darkness.

Next part on Wednesday: Waking up in Suldanessellar… but will all of them make it back?

#2 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 11:17 PM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :P Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… ;)

Congrats on a great story! I've had a lot of fun reading. :D

“I am surprised that it concerns you, Imoen,” Jaheira says sternly, “do you not hate him still for what he has done?”

C'mon, Jaheira - that's a bit harsh, isn't it?

“Oh… sure, I guess… but still… I mean – will he remain in this cold place for eternity?” Imoen asks, “I dunno… it sounds harsh, doesn’t it? What is the point of that?”

Exactly. I'm with Immy on this one.

“Hmm… I am not entirely sure… but wouldn’t you expect that he would have used the time to think over things and come to some realizations… to have learned at least something?” I ask her in return, “Does that not concern you? I mean… I didn’t think that if I ever was to meet Sarevok again, he would kindly offer me to share a keg of ale with him, but… I feel a bit depressed, because I don’t think that he is actually encouraged to learn, to seek atonement… as Imoen says, it feels so pointless… you don’t think so?”

I'd actually have expected Jaheira to be a bit more forgiving, I think - Irenicus aside, she's never really demonstrated a tendency for mindless vengeance. But I guess she's a bit stressed out right now.

I stop for a moment to look back at my companions. “This is it,” I say, “I… I feel that I should perhaps say something… but… I am… err… too frightened to think of anything…”

Aw - don't worry Theo, they're probably all terrified too.

“A couple of glabrezu’s and a couple of balor’s,” Edwin mutters, “how unimaginative from a wizard of supposedly godlike powers, pah!”

LOL! Effective, though.

“We have beaten you twice already, Irenicus,” I snarl, “Do you think that these demons of yours will make any difference?”

Well...given the choice of facing Irenicus on his own, or Irenicus + demons, I know which I'd pick. But it's nice to see that Theo's confident... ;)

With a sudden jerk, Keldorn’s opponent pushes him aside and reaches out to grab Viconia by her neck and pulls her backwards and the surprised drow loses her balance… immediately, the other balor exploits the opening and delivers a devastating blow to Viconia’s unprotected chest, and with a loud cry she collapses and lies still.

Uh oh...

Meanwhile, Edwin and Imoen are still exchanging magical assaults with Irenicus, countering Irenicus’s attempts to raise a barrier of protections with their counterspells… At least, this tactic prevents Irenicus from casting any powerful offensive spells, even though it takes Imoen a great effort to maintain her composure, knowing that Viconia is badly hurt and tears already trickle down her face.

:) Best thing you can do is just to keep fighting though, Immy.

“Everyone, fall back!” I yell, retreating to run out of Irenicus’s immediate sight, though I know that Slayer’s senses will draw him to us, regardless. “Summon something to distract him, quickly!” I command and Edwin and Jaheira quickly comply and send a horde of animals to where the Slayer now stands.

Doubt they'll last long, though.

“There is only one possible way, now,” I say, looking at my companion’s faces, “we can’t take him… not in this form. Jaheira, you know the strength of the Slayer, you must agree…”

:) Don't do it, Theo. There's five of you and only one of him - surely there's other options than playing straight into Bhaal's hands?

“Imoen! Quickly! Mass Invisibility on everyone!” I shout at her and she snaps out her shocked state and starts the casting, “and, please… don’t dare to interfere in our fight! You will only get yourselves killed, if not by Irenicus, then… by me… please, Jaheira, promise me that!”

This is a nice twist on the final battle. Seems kind of appropriate that Theo and Irenicus should have to face one another alone in the end. :)

“OH, WORRY NOT, SON,” Bhaal cackles, “I WOULD NOT DARE MISS A MATCH UP LIKE THIS, TWO SLAYERS GOING HEAD TO HEAD WITH EACH OTHER… OH, AND BY THE WAY SON. I HAVE PLACED MY BETS ON YOU… HAHAHA!”

:) Wish Theo didn't have to do this - kind of a win-win situation for Bhaal.

The transformation is that much more smoother than the previous time when I faced Bodhi… true, I still do not see much, the darkness is overwhelming, but I can sense, feel a blurry shape in front of me and I know it is him. He crashes into me like a breakaway wagon running off the hill and I feel the wind being knocked out of me.

Finding the transformation easier is not a good sign though, Theo. I get the feeling it's not so much you controlling the taint as the taint controlling you.

In the corner of my mind I suddenly feel… I think that… I hear another scream, not mine, but someone else’s… but it can’t be Irenicus, can it? And then… then I feel his grip on me broken, only for a moment, but enough for the Slayer to reorganize and form a counterattack, and I can feel how its claws sink into Irenicus’s flesh, tearing it apart, its fangs biting deep into Irenicus’s shoulder and neck, ripping them to small bits… and the punches coming from Irenicus are growing weaker and weaker, until they subside completely and forever.

Yay! That's one problem dealt with, at least. I just hope Theo's ok.

I freeze and become completely numb; my body, but also my mind, my senses… and then the rays of the bright, condensing light that overflow me, filling me with a feeling that I cannot quite discern. And then it all ends abruptly… and everything slumps back to darkness.

Eep! And this time he's got not only the after effects of the slayer change to worry about, but his wounds as well. :)

Next part on Wednesday: Waking up in Suldanessellar… but will all of them make it back?

Bah, that was a nasty cliff hanger - though I don't think there's much chance of Theo dying, somehow. :)

Anyway, great chapter! You sure made the final battle interesting - the description of the slayer v slayer fight was very well done.

Congratulations once again on getting to the end of SoA, and I'm looking forward to the interlude bit before ToB. Especially to a certain conversation that Theo promised to have with Jaheira once he got his soul back - he'd better not be planning on trying to wriggle out of that any longer...

#3 Guest_Chantrys_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 02:33 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :D Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… :)

Congratulations! :) And...I'm not placing any bets on that last bit. Too close to tell.

And here’s the final fight as promised… with some twists of course and a bit of a nasty cliffhanger at the end. My humble apologies for that… ;)

:wink:

Oh, don't worry. I'm sure you'll see him again.

I place one of the Tears against the pupil of the eye and with a start feel the Tear dissolving in my hand and the eyeball suddenly closes shut.

Like putting in a contact lens... :)

LOL!

Yeeek! Poor Imoen. :D

Oh, no. Don't do it, Theo...you're just falling into a trap here...

She nods reluctantly at my words, no doubt resenting the plan that I will offer, but wise enough to acknowledge that it indeed is the only way…

Bad Jaheira!

Yeah, that's a real comfort, big guy.

Once again, I really loved your Slayer descriptions. Very visceral.

There! See? Nothing good ever comes of being the Slayer. Nothing!

I know Theo's in no danger of being killed off, but Viccy? Too soon to tell. :D

#4 Laufey

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:19 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :D Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… ;)

Do I get bonus points for being slow? :)

“I don’t know… he seemed so… hmm, how long has it been?” I ask, puzzled, “almost a year since we killed him? And yet, he seemed to be… much the same as when he died…”

I definitely agree with this, and this is one of my major issues with the Faerunian afterlife. I refuse to believe in the justice of eternal torment with no hope for redemption, ever.

Can't blame him.

Poor Immy. :)

“She will live!” Jaheira yells to us all as she rises from the floor and comes to our aid to finish the last of the demons and it falls soon after her rejoining the frontlines, “her armor is so badly caved in that it has probably broken her thorax and some ribs… she cannot partake in the fight, I shall heal her fully later!” Jaheira shouts as we slowly and carefully move forwards to surround Irenicus, who suddenly stops casting his spell and glares at us coldly.

She's lucky to be alive, that could easily have killed her.

It does make sense...and creates a certain symmetry.

“AH, SO THE DECIDING BATTLE IS ON. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS, SON. YOU KNOW… I AM PROUD OF YOU,” Bhaal laughs, “YOU HAD THE LARGEST PART OF MY ESSENCE AND WHAT YOU HAVE NOW, MAKES YOU… ONE OF MANY, NOT NECESSARILY THE ONE WHO WILL TAKE OVER MY THRONE. BUT THE ONE WHO WILL PREVAIL IN THIS FIGHT, YOU OR THE SORCERER… THE WINNER SHALL BE THE PRIME CANDIDATE TO SUCCEED ME.”

“Ah, stop yapping, old fool,” I snarl, “get on with it, or else I’ll be crushed like a bug, he’s heading my way!”

Go Theo! :D

They'd better! :)
Rogues do it from behind.

#5 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:38 AM

[quote] Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… [/quote] I wasn’t aware it was a contest. The winner is of course those of us who read and love these stories.

[quote] And here’s the final fight as promised… with some twists of course and a bit of a nasty cliffhanger at the end. My humble apologies for that… [/quote] Apologizing implies you are sorry for doing it. Something tells me you aren’t sorry at all.

[quote] “I wonder what will happen with him,” Imoen speaks up suddenly, “Sarevok, I mean.”

“Oh… sure, I guess… but still… I mean – will he remain in this cold place for eternity?” Imoen asks, “I dunno… it sounds harsh, doesn’t it? What is the point of that?” [/quote] sympathy for the devil Imoen?
[quote] “Yes, but perhaps that is precisely the ‘point’,” Jaheira replies, “Perhaps this is the price that he must pay for his crimes… Interesting, but it seems that here, his spirit is not being put through the eternal torment that the souls in the Abyss have to go through. And a few people with lesser crimes to their credit, have ended up there.” [/quote] one does have to wonder just how the punishment fits the crime.

[quote] “I don’t know… he seemed so… hmm, how long has it been?” I ask, puzzled, “almost a year since we killed him? And yet, he seemed to be… much the same as when he died…”

“And what did you expect to see?” Jaheira asks. [/quote] what is a year to the dead? Do the dead have a sense of time?

[quote] “Hmm… I am not entirely sure… but wouldn’t you expect that he would have used the time to think over things and come to some realizations… to have learned at least something?” I ask her in return, “Does that not concern you? I mean… I didn’t think that if I ever was to meet Sarevok again, he would kindly offer me to share a keg of ale with him, but… I feel a bit depressed, because I don’t think that he is actually encouraged to learn, to seek atonement… as Imoen says, it feels so pointless… you don’t think so?” [/quote] interesting thoughts on the afterlife. What is the point of an eternity spent anywhere?

[/quote] I stop for a moment to look back at my companions. “This is it,” I say, “I… I feel that I should perhaps say something… but… I am… err… too frightened to think of anything…” [/quote] only a bard would know what to say at times like this.

[quote] “A couple of glabrezu’s and a couple of balor’s,” Edwin mutters, “how unimaginative from a wizard of supposedly godlike powers, pah!” [/quote] I am sure Irenicus had to make due with what was available.

[quote] With a sudden jerk, Keldorn’s opponent pushes him aside and reaches out to grab Viconia by her neck and pulls her backwards and the surprised drow loses her balance… immediately, the other balor exploits the opening and delivers a devastating blow to Viconia’s unprotected chest, and with a loud cry she collapses and lies still. [/quote] ouch

[quote] “Drag her out of here lest we stomp on her!” I yell to Jaheira and after a moment of hesitation she jumps to Viconia’s side and carefully pulls her away from the battlefield as Keldorn and I now concentrate our attacks upon the last remaining demon. [/quote] make it fast…time is a wastin.

[quote] Meanwhile, Edwin and Imoen are still exchanging magical assaults with Irenicus, countering Irenicus’s attempts to raise a barrier of protections with their counterspells… At least, this tactic prevents Irenicus from casting any powerful offensive spells, even though it takes Imoen a great effort to maintain her composure, knowing that Viconia is badly hurt and tears already trickle down her face. [/quote] poor Immy. Little Imoen is a tough one, she will make it.

[quote] Irenicus stands tall as he speaks and after the words have left his lips, an eerie light envelops him and I see that his form is starting to blur and… shift… yes, I can discern his hands, slowly adopting the shape of long, hideous claws… claws of The Slayer. My worst predictions come true… he is not arrogant enough to turn down the humble offerings of a lowly human-worshipped deity… [/quote]of course he isn’t. I wonder if he is aware of the cost of becoming the slayer.

[quote] “Everyone, fall back!” I yell, retreating to run out of Irenicus’s immediate sight, though I know that Slayer’s senses will draw him to us, regardless. “Summon something to distract him, quickly!” I command and Edwin and Jaheira quickly comply and send a horde of animals to where the Slayer now stands. [/quote] as always…summons are your friends.

[quote] “There is only one possible way, now,” I say, looking at my companion’s faces, “we can’t take him… not in this form. Jaheira, you know the strength of the Slayer, you must agree…”

She nods reluctantly at my words, no doubt resenting the plan that I will offer, but wise enough to acknowledge that it indeed is the only way… [/quote] I knew Theo would have trouble resisting the temptation.

[quote] “AH, SO THE DECIDING BATTLE IS ON. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS, SON. YOU KNOW… I AM PROUD OF YOU,” Bhaal laughs, “YOU HAD THE LARGEST PART OF MY ESSENCE AND WHAT YOU HAVE NOW, MAKES YOU… ONE OF MANY, NOT NECESSARILY THE ONE WHO WILL TAKE OVER MY THRONE. BUT THE ONE WHO WILL PREVAIL IN THIS FIGHT, YOU OR THE SORCERER… THE WINNER SHALL BE THE PRIME CANDIDATE TO SUCCEED ME.” [/quote] I wonder If Bhaal had a similar conversation with Ireicus when he transformed.

[quote] “OH, WORRY NOT, SON,” Bhaal cackles, “I WOULD NOT DARE MISS A MATCH UP LIKE THIS, TWO SLAYERS GOING HEAD TO HEAD WITH EACH OTHER… OH, AND BY THE WAY SON. I HAVE PLACED MY BETS ON YOU… HAHAHA!” [/quote] how comforting

[quote] In the corner of my mind I suddenly feel… I think that… I hear another scream, not mine, but someone else’s… but it can’t be Irenicus, can it? And then… then I feel his grip on me broken, only for a moment, but enough for the Slayer to reorganize and form a counterattack, and I can feel how its claws sink into Irenicus’s flesh, tearing it apart, its fangs biting deep into Irenicus’s shoulder and neck, ripping them to small bits… and the punches coming from Irenicus are growing weaker and weaker, until they subside completely and forever. [/quote] well we hope that is Irenicus screaming

[quote] Next part on Wednesday: Waking up in Suldanessellar… but will all of them make it back? [/quote] they better all make it back.

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:13 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :) Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… ;)

Congrats on a great story! I've had a lot of fun reading. :)

Thanks! That's a huge compliment, considering Rush is the first thing I've ever written... :)

C'mon, Jaheira - that's a bit harsh, isn't it?

I'm afraid she's already thinking on the fight ahead, sort of the mindset is very combatative... uh... I hope it makes sense. :)

Exactly. I'm with Immy on this one.

Yeah, I agree with Laufey and Lord E on their thoughts that Faerunian afterlife concept is really sucky. :wink:

I'd actually have expected Jaheira to be a bit more forgiving, I think - Irenicus aside, she's never really demonstrated a tendency for mindless vengeance. But I guess she's a bit stressed out right now.

Hmm, I did not want to get across that she craves a mindless vengeance. I wanted it to look as if she is a bit indifferent to it, because her all thoughts are on the coming confrontation. I'll see if I can make it clearer. :D

Aw - don't worry Theo, they're probably all terrified too.

Yep, considering that Jonny killed them all quite recently...

LOL! Effective, though.

Hehe, Edwin's just obsessed with flashy spell effects, I suppose :D

Well...given the choice of facing Irenicus on his own, or Irenicus + demons, I know which I'd pick. But it's nice to see that Theo's confident... :)

Heh, true - I'd say that Irenicus actually won the second fight...

Uh oh...

Wey is going to be mad at me... :roll:

:?: Best thing you can do is just to keep fighting though, Immy.

Oh, she's a tough kid.

Doubt they'll last long, though.

Nope, just buy a bit of time.

:) Don't do it, Theo. There's five of you and only one of him - surely there's other options than playing straight into Bhaal's hands?

Well... my take on Slayer is that it would indeed be almost impossible for them to destroy it. So, perhaps this is actually the best option, even though it is far for perfect.

This is a nice twist on the final battle. Seems kind of appropriate that Theo and Irenicus should have to face one another alone in the end. :D

Thanks! Yes, that's what I wanted to do, and I needed to set it up so that the others would have a damn good reason not to interfere.

:) Wish Theo didn't have to do this - kind of a win-win situation for Bhaal.

True, he's enjoying this.

Finding the transformation easier is not a good sign though, Theo. I get the feeling it's not so much you controlling the taint as the taint controlling you.

Exactly. The easier he finds controlling the taint, more chances of him using it again... and again... and again.

Yay! That's one problem dealt with, at least. I just hope Theo's ok.

Oh, Theo is ok... sort of.

Eep! And this time he's got not only the after effects of the slayer change to worry about, but his wounds as well. :)

Don't worry, he; ll be alright.

Bah, that was a nasty cliff hanger - though I don't think there's much chance of Theo dying, somehow. :)

It's not Theo you should be concerned about...

Anyway, great chapter! You sure made the final battle interesting - the description of the slayer v slayer fight was very well done.

Thanks a lot! :)

Congratulations once again on getting to the end of SoA, and I'm looking forward to the interlude bit before ToB. Especially to a certain conversation that Theo promised to have with Jaheira once he got his soul back - he'd better not be planning on trying to wriggle out of that any longer...

Hehe - well, it has been written already. I'm really looking forward to posting that and how they both deal with the painful Khalid-issue. Just for the record, I'm currently in the process of writing episodes that feature a certain ranger by the name of Valygar. :)

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:21 AM

Just one comment, really:

I like the idea of kinda railroading the protagonist... making it so that he really has no choice but to willingly turn into the Slayer. I mean, making a conscious decision to do something horrendously evil and dangerous for the sole purpose of having enough power to beat someone. Yes, taking Irenicus out is a "good" thing... it's a noble enough goal. But there's some really nice moral ambiguity thrown into the whole mix if the only way for Theo to get the job done is to willingly do the "evil" thing.

It's such a delicious Machiavellian dilemma. Mmmm... hooray for gray areas!

#8 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 11:28 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :) Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… :)

Congratulations! :D And...I'm not placing any bets on that last bit. Too close to tell.

Heh, but we don't want our story to stop here, right?

:)

What, do I not sound sincere?

Oh, don't worry. I'm sure you'll see him again.

They are not really looking forward to it, you know. :D

I place one of the Tears against the pupil of the eye and with a start feel the Tear dissolving in my hand and the eyeball suddenly closes shut.

Like putting in a contact lens... :)

Heh, yes... I do that every morning, myself, hence the connection :)

LOL!

I'm sure he would have done better :wink:

Yeeek! Poor Imoen. :?:

I know... ouch! :)

Oh, no. Don't do it, Theo...you're just falling into a trap here...

Seems like the safest option, though...

Bad Jaheira!

Awww.... :D

Yeah, that's a real comfort, big guy.

Yeah, Theo could do well without that.

Once again, I really loved your Slayer descriptions. Very visceral.

Thanks! I really should have Theo turn into Slayer more often! :) Err... no! Better not!

There! See? Nothing good ever comes of being the Slayer. Nothing!

Well, Irenicus is dead though...

I know Theo's in no danger of being killed off, but Viccy? Too soon to tell. :roll:

Oh, I'm quite confident that Viccy will be ok... eventually.

#9 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 11:59 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :?: Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… :)

Do I get bonus points for being slow? :)

Yep. It means we can continue to enjoy Cards for that much longer :)

I definitely agree with this, and this is one of my major issues with the Faerunian afterlife. I refuse to believe in the justice of eternal torment with no hope for redemption, ever.

I definitely agree with this. Of course some will not complain, for example those who end up in Arvandor or like Jaheira and Theo who would end up in the same realm after death (followers of Silvanus and Mielikki seem to share the same realm, iirc)

Can't blame him.

Nope, not really.

Poor Immy. :wink:

I know... but she's tough inside :D

She's lucky to be alive, that could easily have killed her.

Indeed, I wanted it to sound bad, but not to cripple her in any way.

It does make sense...and creates a certain symmetry.

Thanks! Pretty much what I wanted :D

Go Theo! :roll:

;)

They'd better! :D

Would I pass on a chance to torture my characters some more? :)

#10 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:20 PM

[quote][quote] Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… [/quote] I wasn’t aware it was a contest. The winner is of course those of us who read and love these stories.
[/quote]

Nah, it's not really a contest or anything... we're all winners in the end. ;)

[quote]
[quote] And here’s the final fight as promised… with some twists of course and a bit of a nasty cliffhanger at the end. My humble apologies for that… [/quote] Apologizing implies you are sorry for doing it. Something tells me you aren’t sorry at all.
[/quote]

Weeeell... not really, no :)

[quote]
[quote]
“Oh… sure, I guess… but still… I mean – will he remain in this cold place for eternity?” Imoen asks, “I dunno… it sounds harsh, doesn’t it? What is the point of that?” [/quote] sympathy for the devil Imoen?[/quote]

She doesn't seem the type who holds grudges. :)

[quote][quote] “Yes, but perhaps that is precisely the ‘point’,” Jaheira replies, “Perhaps this is the price that he must pay for his crimes… Interesting, but it seems that here, his spirit is not being put through the eternal torment that the souls in the Abyss have to go through. And a few people with lesser crimes to their credit, have ended up there.” [/quote] one does have to wonder just how the punishment fits the crime.
[/quote]

Right now Jaheira is not in a state of mind to ponder about that. :)

[quote]
[quote] “I don’t know… he seemed so… hmm, how long has it been?” I ask, puzzled, “almost a year since we killed him? And yet, he seemed to be… much the same as when he died…”
[/quote]

[quote]
“And what did you expect to see?” Jaheira asks. [/quote] what is a year to the dead? Do the dead have a sense of time?
[/quote]

Good question. I'm not sure I know the answer.

[quote]
[quote] “Hmm… I am not entirely sure… but wouldn’t you expect that he would have used the time to think over things and come to some realizations… to have learned at least something?” I ask her in return, “Does that not concern you? I mean… I didn’t think that if I ever was to meet Sarevok again, he would kindly offer me to share a keg of ale with him, but… I feel a bit depressed, because I don’t think that he is actually encouraged to learn, to seek atonement… as Imoen says, it feels so pointless… you don’t think so?” [/quote] interesting thoughts on the afterlife. What is the point of an eternity spent anywhere?
[/quote]

Theo: Well... I could think of some interesting activities to make the time pass by quicker...

[quote]
[/quote] I stop for a moment to look back at my companions. “This is it,” I say, “I… I feel that I should perhaps say something… but… I am… err… too frightened to think of anything…” [/quote] only a bard would know what to say at times like this.
[/quote]

Probably some vulgar trivialities, anyway.

[quote]
[quote] “A couple of glabrezu’s and a couple of balor’s,” Edwin mutters, “how unimaginative from a wizard of supposedly godlike powers, pah!” [/quote] I am sure Irenicus had to make due with what was available.
[/quote]

He wasn't choosy...

[quote]
[quote] With a sudden jerk, Keldorn’s opponent pushes him aside and reaches out to grab Viconia by her neck and pulls her backwards and the surprised drow loses her balance… immediately, the other balor exploits the opening and delivers a devastating blow to Viconia’s unprotected chest, and with a loud cry she collapses and lies still. [/quote] ouch
[/quote]

That must have hurt... :D

[quote]
[quote] “Drag her out of here lest we stomp on her!” I yell to Jaheira and after a moment of hesitation she jumps to Viconia’s side and carefully pulls her away from the battlefield as Keldorn and I now concentrate our attacks upon the last remaining demon. [/quote] make it fast…time is a wastin.
[/quote]

True, true...

[quote]
[quote] Meanwhile, Edwin and Imoen are still exchanging magical assaults with Irenicus, countering Irenicus’s attempts to raise a barrier of protections with their counterspells… At least, this tactic prevents Irenicus from casting any powerful offensive spells, even though it takes Imoen a great effort to maintain her composure, knowing that Viconia is badly hurt and tears already trickle down her face. [/quote] poor Immy. Little Imoen is a tough one, she will make it.
[/quote]

Sure she will. What's a few tears along the way...

[quote]
[quote] Irenicus stands tall as he speaks and after the words have left his lips, an eerie light envelops him and I see that his form is starting to blur and… shift… yes, I can discern his hands, slowly adopting the shape of long, hideous claws… claws of The Slayer. My worst predictions come true… he is not arrogant enough to turn down the humble offerings of a lowly human-worshipped deity… [/quote]of course he isn’t. I wonder if he is aware of the cost of becoming the slayer.
[/quote]

I doubt he cares much.

[quote]
[quote] “Everyone, fall back!” I yell, retreating to run out of Irenicus’s immediate sight, though I know that Slayer’s senses will draw him to us, regardless. “Summon something to distract him, quickly!” I command and Edwin and Jaheira quickly comply and send a horde of animals to where the Slayer now stands. [/quote] as always…summons are your friends.
[/quote]

But not vice versa. :D

[quote][quote]
She nods reluctantly at my words, no doubt resenting the plan that I will offer, but wise enough to acknowledge that it indeed is the only way… [/quote] I knew Theo would have trouble resisting the temptation.
[/quote]

It wasn't exactly a temptation this time around.

[quote]
[quote] “AH, SO THE DECIDING BATTLE IS ON. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS, SON. YOU KNOW… I AM PROUD OF YOU,” Bhaal laughs, “YOU HAD THE LARGEST PART OF MY ESSENCE AND WHAT YOU HAVE NOW, MAKES YOU… ONE OF MANY, NOT NECESSARILY THE ONE WHO WILL TAKE OVER MY THRONE. BUT THE ONE WHO WILL PREVAIL IN THIS FIGHT, YOU OR THE SORCERER… THE WINNER SHALL BE THE PRIME CANDIDATE TO SUCCEED ME.” [/quote] I wonder If Bhaal had a similar conversation with Ireicus when he transformed.
[/quote]

Perhaps. Quite likely.

[quote]
[quote] “OH, WORRY NOT, SON,” Bhaal cackles, “I WOULD NOT DARE MISS A MATCH UP LIKE THIS, TWO SLAYERS GOING HEAD TO HEAD WITH EACH OTHER… OH, AND BY THE WAY SON. I HAVE PLACED MY BETS ON YOU… HAHAHA!” [/quote] how comforting
[/quote]

Exactly, Theo feels much more safer now.

[quote]
[quote] In the corner of my mind I suddenly feel… I think that… I hear another scream, not mine, but someone else’s… but it can’t be Irenicus, can it? And then… then I feel his grip on me broken, only for a moment, but enough for the Slayer to reorganize and form a counterattack, and I can feel how its claws sink into Irenicus’s flesh, tearing it apart, its fangs biting deep into Irenicus’s shoulder and neck, ripping them to small bits… and the punches coming from Irenicus are growing weaker and weaker, until they subside completely and forever. [/quote] well we hope that is Irenicus screaming
[/quote]

Afraid it wasn't Irenicus... now who would be foolish enough to try and distract Irenicus when it seemed as he was killing Theo-Slayer?

[quote]
[quote] Next part on Wednesday: Waking up in Suldanessellar… but will all of them make it back? [/quote] they better all make it back.[/quote]

Now if you all cross your fingers and hope for the best... :D

#11 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:27 PM

Just one comment, really:

Okay...

I like the idea of kinda railroading the protagonist... making it so that he really has no choice but to willingly turn into the Slayer. I mean, making a conscious decision to do something horrendously evil and dangerous for the sole purpose of having enough power to beat someone. Yes, taking Irenicus out is a "good" thing... it's a noble enough goal. But there's some really nice moral ambiguity thrown into the whole mix if the only way for Theo to get the job done is to willingly do the "evil" thing.

I just love setting it up this way. I adore moral ambiguity! ;)

It's such a delicious Machiavellian dilemma. Mmmm... hooray for gray areas!

Yep! Now there's a monke- I mean a man after my own heart! :) Grey is delicious! :)

#12 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:00 PM

Awww, hug Imoen for me.

“Yes, but perhaps that is precisely the ‘point’,” Jaheira replies, “Perhaps this is the price that he must pay for his crimes…

:D There is no crime great enough to merit eternal, pointless torture. A god that would allow that would be no more than a sadistic freak.

It will come in time, bro.

Sarry: "Die, you damnable fool! Oh, you are dead already. My apologies."

Awww, poor Jon-Jon... :wink: Not that I wanted Theo to lose, mind.

#13 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:43 PM

Awww, hug Imoen for me.

Will do! :D

“Yes, but perhaps that is precisely the ‘point’,” Jaheira replies, “Perhaps this is the price that he must pay for his crimes…

:wink: There is no crime great enough to merit eternal, pointless torture. A god that would allow that would be no more than a sadistic freak.

Well, Sarevok did not appear to be tortured in that Abyssal plane, so if it came across as if Jaheira would want him confined to a eternal torture, I shall rephrase it somehow. That's not what I meant and I don't think she would appreciate it.

I realize that the only banter between Sarry and Jae does not imply a lot of love between them, but I do believe that fighting shoulder to shoulder and seeing the change in him, will make Jaheira appreciate him more. I'll see if I can pull it off convincingly.

It will come in time, bro.

Theo is not exactly the one who you would expect to be redeeming someone, though... he's in need of his own redemption. Perhaps that will actually help them get on.

Sarry: "Die, you damnable fool! Oh, you are dead already. My apologies."

How cute! :D

Awww, poor Jon-Jon... :wink: Not that I wanted Theo to lose, mind.

Yes, I know the sentiment. I hope that I made Jon go with some dignity, and not made the group jeering at him as he slowly expires.

#14 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:49 PM

Well, Sarevok did not appear to be tortured in that Abyssal plane, so if it came across as if Jaheira would want him confined to a eternal torture, I shall rephrase it somehow. That's not what I meant and I don't think she would appreciate it.

Sarevok does talk about layers and layers of suffering in his other dialogues, however. I interpreted it so that he wandered the Abyss before he came to Bhaal's throne. I think Jaheira is not the gloating type, no. Sure, she wants Irenicus' blood but I don't think she gets a lot of kicks by imagining her foe tortured.

I realize that the only banter between Sarry and Jae does not imply a lot of love between them, but I do believe that fighting shoulder to shoulder and seeing the change in him, will make Jaheira appreciate him more. I'll see if I can pull it off convincingly.

Also, that dialogue is the only one between them, and pre-redemption. Sarevok killed Gorion, who was Jaheira's friend and fellow Harper so it is no wonder, especially as Sarry is baiting her. I think it is easy to imagine their relationship improving in time.

Theo is not exactly the one who you would expect to be redeeming someone, though... he's in need of his own redemption. Perhaps that will actually help them get on.

That certainly happened with Peri and Sarevok. At the end of ToB storyline it was definitely Peri who was more in need of redemption.

Awww, poor Jon-Jon... :D Not that I wanted Theo to lose, mind.

Yes, I know the sentiment. I hope that I made Jon go with some dignity, and not made the group jeering at him as he slowly expires.

Yep, it was well done. As well as it can end for him in this story. At least I hope that your group will tell the Bitch Queen off.

#15 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:04 PM

Sarevok does talk about layers and layers of suffering in his other dialogues, however. I interpreted it so that he wandered the Abyss before he came to Bhaal's throne.

Yes, I do not think he headed straight for the Bhaal's Throne after his defeat in the BG Undercity. But the party does not know it, they just see that currently he does not appear to be suffering.

I think Jaheira is not the gloating type, no. Sure, she wants Irenicus' blood but I don't think she gets a lot of kicks by imagining her foe tortured.

Definite agreement.

Also, that dialogue is the only one between them, and pre-redemption. Sarevok killed Gorion, who was Jaheira's friend and fellow Harper so it is no wonder, especially as Sarry is baiting her. I think it is easy to imagine their relationship improving in time.

Yep, true. I always thought that Jaheira's voice sounded VERY tired in that dialogue, and I somehow was very touched by that. :wink:

That certainly happened with Peri and Sarevok. At the end of ToB storyline it was definitely Peri who was more in need of redemption.

ToB storyline can really knock a person out of balance, expecially someone as chaotic as Peri. She did not have a solid rock to lean on as well, not like Theo has in Jaheira.

Yep, it was well done. As well as it can end for him in this story. At least I hope that your group will tell the Bitch Queen off.

Thanks! And about the Bitch Queen... well, I have some cards up my sleeve yet. There will be nasty surprises. :D

#16 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:38 AM

“I wonder what will happen with him,” Imoen speaks up suddenly, “Sarevok, I mean.”

No point really, other than to blame the Children for existing. But worry not Immy, Sarry will be back. :twisted:

We catch up with our friends at the gate and I take my time in inspecting it, looking for the slots to insert the Tears and open the doorway… and those five huge eyeballs that surround the door, seem quite an appropriate option if one can establish a connection between a tear and an eye… I place one of the Tears against the pupil of the eye and with a start feel the Tear dissolving in my hand and the eyeball suddenly closes shut. I gulp, before looking at my friends and they try to give me encouraging looks as I proceed to press the Tears into their places… until I reach the last one.

"Eye" see it... :twisted:

*cough* Look who's talking. *cough*

“So, we are to battle one last time,” he looks upon us, hands crossed upon his chest, “No more hiding for either of us. I will enjoy destroying you, Theodur… know that to die in this place means to cease to exist!”

Let him "demonstrate".

Ouch!

I knew he'd use the power again...

Doesn't sound good here. Heh, if he wakes up to see Queen Airhead, he's gonna look back fondly on Hell. :twisted:[/b]

#17 Guest_WC_Sumpton_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:48 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :) Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… :twisted:

You should be proud of reaching this milestone... Thanks for the good times...

And here’s the final fight as promised… with some twists of course and a bit of a nasty cliffhanger at the end. My humble apologies for that… :twisted:

And what is wrong with a little cliffhanger among friends... :twisted:

Imoen awaits the two of us upstairs and slowly we head off to join the others, already having gathered around the strange gate. Imoen retrieves all five of the glistering Tears; they look like large pearls as I place them all on my palm.

Me too... Wonder what her concerns are... :wink:

“Yes, but perhaps that is precisely the ‘point’,” Jaheira replies, “Perhaps this is the price that he must pay for his crimes… Interesting, but it seems that here, his spirit is not being put through the eternal torment that the souls in the Abyss have to go through. And a few people with lesser crimes to their credit, have ended up there.”

Good point...

Seeking 'atonement' could take an eternity, a year does not seem that long...

“I have only one thing in my mind, right now,” she turns her head to send a brief smile to me, “and that is to get out of here in one piece and make sure that you both do so as well. Perhaps I will think of Sarevok’s predicament, once we are in safety… there is no time for idle musings until we are in grave danger.”

I like the way Jaheira 'dirty' mind thinks... :shock:

How about a thought for 'Naila'... (Still think Theo was wrong :) )

“I believe in you, Theodur,” Jaheira is the only one who opens her mouth to reply as she comes to stand beside me, “And I believe that we will not fail.”

Why to go girl!!

I feel a rush of excitement, as if her simple words would have given me a load of much needed courage and without hesitation I press the last Tear into its location. The door slides open slowly and our friends gather around behind us… and as the door opens fully, I see that Irenicus is indeed on the other side and he is not alone.

AH! Eddie is back!!

Boastful... But then what did we expect for a bad guy...

“You have… beaten me, before I could draw upon the knowledge that this place had to offer,” Irenicus sounds very assured indeed, “You can shrink from it if you will, but I will not look upon the power it can bring! And I will use it to ensure that you are the one who remains to rot here!”

Still can of wordy isn't he...

No long speeches, no issuing of threats and insults… we all know very well what we must do to survive this and to stand a chance of return to the mortal plane. Four of us pounce upon the demons swiftly, Edwin and Imoen chanting furiously before Irenicus has managed to raise the walls of protections around him. I dispose of the glabrezu quickly enough, nimbly avoiding its attacks and staying out of the reach of its long arms as it vainly tries to grab me… and soon enough my sword ensures that this glabrezu will never again prey on another victim.

A quick glance around the battlefield reveals that Jaheira has just disposed of the demon that was besetting her and we turn to rush and help Keldorn and Viconia with the two balor’s who are without question the more dangerous opponents. We don’t make it quite in time, however.

A moment of shock overcomes us from the sight of her falling, no doubt badly injured, if not even worse… but we cannot allow ourselves to think about it now and we immediately overwhelm the balor and it falls quickly under our combined blows…

“Drag her out of here lest we stomp on her!” I yell to Jaheira and after a moment of hesitation she jumps to Viconia’s side and carefully pulls her away from the battlefield as Keldorn and I now concentrate our attacks upon the last remaining demon.

“You think that it is over now, do you?” he says, “yes, no doubt that your magelings are educated enough to counter most of my spells and I have not had the time to refresh my repertoire and my contingencies since our last battle. But do you have something to counter this with?”

Irenicus stands tall as he speaks and after the words have left his lips, an eerie light envelops him and I see that his form is starting to blur and… shift… yes, I can discern his hands, slowly adopting the shape of long, hideous claws… claws of The Slayer. My worst predictions come true… he is not arrogant enough to turn down the humble offerings of a lowly human-worshipped deity…

Good battle... But now he not playing fair!! :)

He has a play... To bad Naila not in it!!!

But at this moment the invisibility spell covers them all, and I find myself all alone in this depressing plane, only reminder of other life forms are the anguished cries of the summoned animals as The Slayer mows them down under his claws. And I realize that there is not much time, unless I want to be the next one slaughtered… quickly, I close my eyes and direct my thoughts to mentally converse with the old bastard.

Heck the old man kind of wordy too...

You tell him Theo!! :twisted:

I'm sure.... And what is he betting!! :wink:

Once again, I am faced with the peculiar situation in which I have only vague sense of what is going on and have very little control over my transformed body… but at least the instinct controls it and I feel my legs, my hands hitting out at Irenicus, clawing, tearing, and biting at him. The only sense that the taint follows is to kill, to maim, to murder everyone in sight, and since the only one around me is my most hated enemy, I have no objection to the desires of the instinct.

The pain that suddenly strikes me in the chest and slowly starts to expand throughout my body, is sharp and almost unbearable… apparently Irenicus has managed to land a blow and I feel something protruding inside my chest and tearing at my insides… and I scream from the top of my lungs, but the Slayer that now possesses me, stays silent and continues to fight on.

When you said a cliffhanger... You were not kidding... Who was it that distracted the other Slayer!!

Enjoyed Thanks...

#18 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 10:54 AM

No point really, other than to blame the Children for existing. But worry not Immy, Sarry will be back. :twisted:

Nor sure if she quite wants him back, though... :twisted:

"Eye" see it... :)

Groan...

*cough* Look who's talking. *cough*

The demons Eddie summons are far more impressive :)

Let him "demonstrate".

AAARGH! Having a good pun-day? :twisted:

Ouch!

I'm sure it was... :wink:

I knew he'd use the power again...

I couldn't resist :wink:

Doesn't sound good here. Heh, if he wakes up to see Queen Airhead, he's gonna look back fondly on Hell. :)[/b]

Hehe, Queen Airhead is sure going to throw quite a reception. :shock: I'll be having some fun with her, yet! :twisted:

#19 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 11:07 AM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :cry: Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… :wink:

You should be proud of reaching this milestone... Thanks for the good times...

*puffs out chest proudly* Thanks to you for reading! :cry:

And here’s the final fight as promised… with some twists of course and a bit of a nasty cliffhanger at the end. My humble apologies for that… :twisted:

And what is wrong with a little cliffhanger among friends... :twisted:

Err, nothing I suppose... :wink:

Me too... Wonder what her concerns are... :roll:

Heh, just seeing him here, doing nothing and being generally nuts, makes one wondering... why? :)

Good point...

But it's not necessarily a punishment that fits the crime, in any of the cases.

Seeking 'atonement' could take an eternity, a year does not seem that long...

I guess so. It depends on the person in question and how willing he is to seek the atonement. :)

I like the way Jaheira 'dirty' mind thinks... :wink:

Oh, don't worry... eventually she'll be calling Sarevok 'a buddy' :twisted:

Why to go girl!!

Of course, they won't fail! :D

AH! Eddie is back!!

He wasn't really gone anywhere... just quietly preparing :D

Boastful... But then what did we expect for a bad guy...

They all seem to be talkative. :)

Still can of wordy isn't he...

As I said. :D

Good battle... But now he not playing fair!! :cry:

You do not expect a villain to play fair, do you? :D

Heck the old man kind of wordy too...

They all are, they all are...

You tell him Theo!! :twisted:

Oh yes! :shock:

I'm sure.... And what is he betting!! :roll:

You probably don't even wanna know... :)

When you said a cliffhanger... You were not kidding... Who was it that distracted the other Slayer!!

Well... who would be so foolish to try and distract the other Slayer when it appeared that it was killing Theo? :evil:

Enjoyed Thanks...

Thanks for commenting! :D

#20 Weyoun

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:40 PM

Hi! Well, it looks like I’m indeed the third of our Attic bunch to manage a full BG2:SoA walkthrough, beaten only by Silrana and Slide :) Well, I wonder who will be the first to finish a full BG2:SoA+ToB walkthrough… :)

Drat! I must hurry up Tnt, then! Oh, well, a new one will be ready tomorrow... Damn, that KOTOR game for eating my life!

Laska : Oh, danger, shmanger. :)

Wow... that was historic. :)

Tnt's Irenicus : Hmmm, good point. For my summoning, I will summon Hannibal Lector, Saruman, Darth Malak and Megatron. :)

Hmm, I wonder how good Glabrezu is between two slices of toast?

:wink: :)

Just a little nit. I don't think there's actually a bone to break called a thorax. Isn't the thorax the fleshy bits? I dunno...

Uh-oh...

Gee... Cute...

Arrgghhh! You are EVIL!

Great story,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com