About Blood 28

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 01:02 AM

Ack... that took WAY too long. Flu, school and laziness conspired against me. Ah well. Hope I'll keep a bit more speed now.

Talek was washing his hands in the stream. The blood came off easy enough, it was hardly dried. The weather was still clear, the sun shining brightly to Viconia's irritation. She and Xzar were grilling Talek for information. Montaron was breaking up camp.

"You heard a voice right, a voice. And what did he say? Tell me what he said. Huh? Huh?" Xzar seemed ecstatic at the happenings.

Talek shrugged. "I didn't actualy hear him say much that I remember. I know he talked, but I don't know what he said." He scowled. "Don't care much either. Bloody bastard was laughing at me. I don't know who the hell it is, but when I find him, he's dead!"

Xzar chuckled. "Oh yes, yes I think so too." The chuckling continued.

Viconia took the chance to ask her question. "And the other voice. You talked about a female voice. How did she sound?"

Talek looked at his clean hand. "Oh.... I dunno... A bit cold maybe? I told you, I hardly remember her. I... think the first voice was angry at her or something. Guess she's the one who helped me."

"Shar, it must be her!" The drow's eyes became bright with fervour. "The Nightsinger has appeared in your dreams. Do you realise what this means?"

Talek looked at her with a worried expression. "Euh... no?"

"If you would serve her, she might support you more directly. Shar favors those that seek vengeance so..."

"NO!" Xzar shrieked. "NO! You can't serve gods, Talek. They're MEAN." He looked at Talek, rubbing his hands. "I want to see what's going to happen. I want to look at all the pretty things that could happen. If I can find out more... Maybe... maybe even...." He giggled again.

"Don't pay any attention to his ramblings, Talek!" She chuckled. "Serving Shar can have... many advantages."

"He doesn't NEED Shar!" Xzar yelled again in a high-pitched voice. "He doesn't need any gods!"

"Euh.... what.... I..." Talek looked around confused as the priest and the mage glared at each other.

"I'd like the two of ye to keep yer mouths shut and gather yer gear instead of filling the boy's head with more foolishness than it already has." Montaron interrupted the conversation. "It's time to leave."

"Monty, this is important!" Xzar protested.

"I don't care what plans ye got in that rotten brain of ye, wizard, but we've got a job to do. Talk about that stuff in yer free time. I don’t know what the hell is going on, but we've got better things to do then yap about it. And you drow, I’ve made a pile for ye so ye can carry yer weight around. And a club so ye can deal out some damage. We'll buy ye better stuff when we're back in Nashkel." He pointed at the two small backpacks that were prepared for the two weak spell casters. The two grudgingly obliged.

Montaron walked up to Talek who was carrying most of the weight. The boy smiled at him "Thanks, Montaron. I'm kind of out of my depth regarding stuff like magic and gods and such."

Montaron nodded. "Good for ye that ye know that. If ye want my advice, just make sure ye don't suddenly explode in yer sleep or something and don't pay too much attention to those two. Ye go out of yer way to please one god, and ye get two other gods pissed at ye. As for the wizard... I've been in necromancer laboratories. I wouldn't advise letting a SANE wizard 'perform research' on ye, let alone Chuckles there."

Talek gave a short chuckle. "So... what do you think about it? I mean, it IS strange, right?"

Montaron shrugged. "No clue. Could be a wizard cursing ye. Or maybe ye’ve got a bit of Ta’naari blood in there or something. Or it Might have something to do with the guy putting a price on yer head. I say we continue what we're doing and maybe we'll find out something. Yer old man's killer could be involved somehow."

"Could be." Talek's eyes darkened. "But it wasn't his voice. I know the voice of the bastard, and I'll remember it."

"Right. Let's head back to Nashkel then, and we'll make plans there.”

Talek nodded and grabbed his backpack. After Montaron set their course using Viconia’s memories from her flight, the party left, the drow softly cursing the sun for a while. The weather was pretty good, and Talek regained his good cheer again soon, resting his sword on his shoulder as usual. Xzar and Viconia took turns interrogating him about the dream though, vainly trying to get more details as Montaron kept an eye on the road. As they reached Nashkel, it was getting close to dusk already, the Halfling addressed the drow though.

“Hey, cleric.”

Viconia looked down. “Yes, thief. You may speak to me.”

Montaron raised his eyebrows. “Now there’s a tone I wouldn’t expect from someone begging for rescue a few hours ago.”

“Well, it IS only thanks to your master, halfling. Though I will let that pass.” The drow casually remarked.

Montaron’s tread, usually of the same quiet lightness of his people, with a hint of danger mixed in it, faltered and he fell flat on his face. Talek and Xzar turned around.

“My WHAT!?” He yelled.

Viconia looked surprised. “I…. was never told about your relation. I… assumed you were his bodyguard or manservant and the mage someone tied to one of your surfacer houses’ fighters out on a task.”

Xzar and Talek immediately began laughing hysterically. Montaron got up and gave her a killer glare. The red in his face didn’t seem to be all anger though. “You…. assumed wrong. And for all the gods’ sake, don’t ever say anything like that again.”

Xzar hiccupped. “Awh… but he’d make such a great king.” He spoke in a high voice. “Oh, my Lord Talek. It’s terrible. Dragons with feet like rabbit have overrun our village. Please, Your Majesty. Do something.”

Talek wiped some tears out of his eyes and had to steady himself and think for a second before he puffed up his chest and raised his sword. “Forsooth, thou dilemma be verily moth dangerous. Sir Montaron…” He had to stop for a few seconds as Xzar’s giggles caused him to echo with his own laughter. “Sir Montaron,” He repeated through his tears “Most trusted of mine servants, I doth hereby grant you the QUEST to slay yonder dragons.” He pointed the sword at Montaron who looked like he was trying to rub the two out of existence by looking at them, then collapsed in hilarity, leaning against his backpack.

Montaron looked up at Viconia. “Thanks, drow. I’ll never live this down. What exactly made ye think I was his designated turd catcher?”

Viconia kept her eyes on the pair that showed no sign of stopping, the mere mention of ‘King Talek’ and ‘Sir Montaron’ enough to send off a new salvo. “When I arrived at your camp, he was the one to admit me at your fire. He commanded you to lower your crossbow and you did. And he seemingly decided on his own to take me with you. And the necromancer seemed to look in awe at him when he was having the dream.”

Montaron made a disgusted noise. “The nut would gaze in awe on a pile of bird droppings. He’s nuts. And ain’t I the one who assigned guard duties, and keeps the party’s gold? Or the one who decides where which way we’re going ANYWAY?”

Viconia still looked at the two humans. “I thought you were sent with him to make sure he SURVIVES the task by… whoever sent you.”

Montaron turned his eyes skyward. “Oh great. Just great. Ye decide how ye get to thins, ye keep yer hand on the gold, ye make sure everyone’s got their equipment, Mask, Ye make sure the group survives, ye’re the ‘manservant’ Ye wave a few flashy decisions around and expect everyone to agree with them, STUPID decisions I might add, and suddenly you’re a… k…” He slowed down and stopped. “Guess it does make sense.”

The thief gave a deadpan look at the two others, who were now getting up while gasping for breath, occasionally snorting whenever they looked at Montaron or each other and started walking again.

Montaron shook his head and looked at Viconia again. “Anyway, if ye’re gonna stick with us, there’s some small hints ye might wanna follow.”

“Are you threatening me?” The woman asked neutrally.

“Nah…” Montaron replied in the same tone. “This is actual advice regarding those two there. The wizard: Don’t pay attention to his ramblings. He’s smart enough to know his way around magic, but that’s it. No idea why the boy listens to him so much. And don’t try to wake him when you’re having nightmares. He’ll kill ye and just go back to sleep.”

She nodded matter-of-factly.

“As for the boy….” Montaron continued. “I’m sure ye figured out he ain’t the brightest star in the sky. He knows that too, and he hasn’t got any trouble with people pointing it out. SO if ye see him doing something stupid, feel free to CALL him that, and ye might have a chance that he’ll actually LISTEN.”

“From what I’ve seen, I will be calling him that a lot.” Viconia remarked.

“You have NO idea.” Montaron said exasperated. “Anyway, things you should NOT, EVER do, and woman, I am SERIOUS, is insulting his dead stepfather or questioning their relationship, ye might even wanna avoid the fact that it’s not his real father, and the other thing is a girl called Imoen. She’s his childhood friend, something of the smart sister. She’s a smart girl, good thief, keen eye but wants to be a hero.” He looked at Viconia seriously “Don’t insult her, don’t question their relationship, and if ye ever meet her, don’t lay a finger on her. He broke a woman’s nose for slapping her. As he is now, that might earn ye a quick death.”

Viconia nodded. “I believe you. Anything else I should know?”

“Two things. Don’t lie to him. It’s easier getting what ye want by asking it anyway. And now that he’s accepted ye, he’ll probably be okay but all things ye’ve done or are gonna do. And also, as long as ye keep those rules in mind, it’s unlikely he’ll ever try to do any harm to you at all. He seems to think friendship and trust are pretty important. So don’t act like he might suddenly decide to sell ye or kill ye or whatever. And don’t…. ever… turn against him in a fight. “

He thought for a moment. “One more thing. I advise ye not to go and try to seduce him. Ye’ll probably succeed before ye even started trying hard, but ye’re better off not doing it.”

The drow gave a slightly mocking laughter. “Are you getting jealous, halfling?”

Montaron gave a chuckle. “Heh, me, jealous? There’s a good one. Seems ALL elves assume every other race on Faerûn is pining for their boneless asses.” Viconia gave him a rather angry look. “Don’t gimme that look. I know well enough that yer looks are what elves and humans go for. But I can’t reach yer head, yer feet are hairless and ye look positively famished to me. I’d as soon lust after a dwarf girl.”

“So… why do you concern yourself for what I do with him?” Viconia asked.

“Let me tell ye. We travelled with some other people for a while. They hated me and the mage, and we didn’t like hem either. But the boy trusted them almost completely. He even almost took a crossbow bolt for one of them. And then he figured they betrayed him. Took Imoen some time to convince him to let them live. And if ye check that book with drawings of him, ye know he’s still ready to go at them if she gives him the permission. So… do you REALLY wanna risk finding out how he deals with a case of ‘brokenheartness?’”

“I… see your point.” Viconia said.

“Hey guys.” Talek suddenly said “We’re back. Nashkel, with all its bastard Amnian Helmite priests, bastard Amnian soldiers, and bastard Amnians in general.” Down the path they were walking the town of Nashkel was visible.

“And some gold waiting for us I hope.” Montaron added.

“Gold? Oh yeah THAT gold” Don’t worry. Imoen will have taken care of that.” Talek said with a dismissive gesture.

“Right. Before I forget. Give the drow your cloak, boy.” The halfling said.

“Huh?” Talek said. “It’s not THAT cold yet is it?”

“I have swum in ice-cold underground lakes, rivvil, I wouldn’t need your cloaks for that purpose. But I don’t want to spend this night running from soldiers as well.” Viconia said.

Talek sheeted his sword. “I still don’t get it.”

“It might surprise ye lad that we CAN’T just walk into town with a drow. So give the woman yer blasted cloak so she can hide her face and we don’t get an angry mob out for our asses.”

“No.” Talek said.

“What?” Montaron and Viconia explained. Xzar mumbled ‘Sir Montaron’ to himself and giggled.

Talek’s face was dead serious though. “I’m not hiding. I’m not gonna pretend that we’re all upstanding citizens. I’ve got the feeling I’ve been wearing a mask all my life. I’m not about to go pretending I’m not travelling with a drow. Let Viconia go as she likes”

Montaron grimaced. “Nice speech. But yer blasted principals won’t change the fact that we’ll get the whole town on us.”

Talek put his hand on his sword. “Let them. My father used to say there are things worth getting into trouble for.”

“That’s more trouble ye can handle boy!” Montaron said. He turned to Viconia. “You try to get sense in him.”

Viconia nodded. “I am used to this, Talek. You underestimate their fear for our kind. Most humans I’ve encountered would rather release their guard dogs then give me the dogs’ food.”

“I’m not afraid of guard dogs, on four legs or two.” Talek smirked.

“This is FOOLISH!” Viconia attempted.

“Look, are you ashamed of being a drow?” Talek asked, looking curiously.

“NO!” The Sharran yelled so loud Talek had to take a step back.

He grinned though. “Let’s go then!” And with that he turned around and ran down the path before anyone could say something. Xzar followed him. Montaron stared at them and then at Viconia.

“Oh great. Guess we’ll have to make the best of it. I guess ye know what ye got to do?”

Viconia nodded and started to position her clothing to show more of her black skin in strategic places as she ran down. “It’s a good thing most humans don’t mind elves isn’t it?” She grinned.

Montaron followed her and laughed. “In the borderlands, there’s plenty of humans that fancy orcs, so don’t go gettin’ a big head cause you can make humans go gaga.”

They caught up with Talek just as he ran into a couple of soldiers. Montaron quickly stepped in front of him and whispered over his shoulder.

“Right, if ye want the drow to live through this, let ME do the talking, and for the Mask’s sake, DON’T draw your sword.”

“Fine, fine…” Talek shrugged and stepped back as the soldiers approached.

“What is the meaning of this? Why does this drow accompany you?” The leader said. The look at Talek made clear they were recognised, and not exactly about to be lauded as heroes.

Montaron made a sad face. “We found the poor girl on our way back, sir. She escaped the underdark and their evil practices. She means no harm!”

“Please, abbil” Viconia pleaded “My parents were killed by the vile Lolth priests. I have no-where to go.” She pretended to be protecting her modesty while actually pulling the upper part of her tunic down a bit more. Some of the soldiers were moving their heads trying to see a flash of nipple. “I have nothing left, and these kind people…”

“Your parents are dead Viconia? Sorry, I didn’t kn….” Talek expressed and turned around to look at Viconia, then froze, blushed and quickly turned around. “d….didn’t know.” Some of the soldiers sniggered.

Viconia’s face betrayed irritation for only a second. “I didn’t want to burden you. But these kind people have taken me under their wing. Please don’t hurt them because of me. She made some steps forward, making sure her natural assets moved adequately. Even the leader’s eyes now strayed. He regained his composure however and called the patrol to attention, then addressed the party.

“You may bring her in. But if anything fishy happens, all of your heads will roll for it.” With that he let them pass, and enter Nashkel.

It took some time for Viconia to explain the situation to Talek though, especially because he was avoiding looking at her. He did see the other people though. Unless they were staring at Viconia, they were staring at him. He met their stares with a mocking glare, a grin and now and then a small nod.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:40 AM

Ack... that took WAY too long. Flu, school and laziness conspired against me. Ah well. Hope I'll keep a bit more speed now.

Bah! What unconvincing excuses for making us wait! ;) :)

Talek shrugged. "I didn't actualy hear him say much that I remember. I know he talked, but I don't know what he said." He scowled. "Don't care much either. Bloody bastard was laughing at me. I don't know who the hell it is, but when I find him, he's dead!"

Tough luck, he's already dead...

See, Xzar knows...

"Shar, it must be her!" The drow's eyes became bright with fervour. "The Nightsinger has appeared in your dreams. Do you realise what this means?"

Um, something equally bad?

"Don't pay any attention to his ramblings, Talek!" She chuckled. "Serving Shar can have... many advantages."

Aw, Viconia just wants to score another convert. Seems she goes about more professionally about her serving Shar than the other Viconia's around here.

"Euh.... what.... I..." Talek looked around panickly as the priest and the mage glared at each other.

Hmm, panickly seems to be a bit touch too strong, doesn't it? Perhaps 'perplexed' or 'puzzled'?

Montaron nodded. "Good for ye that ye know that. If ye want my advice, just make sure ye don't suddenly explode in yer sleep or something and don't pay too much attention to those two. Ye go out of yer way to please one god, and ye get two other gods pissed at ye. As for the wizard... I've been in necromancer laboratories. I wouldn't advise letting a SANE wizard 'perform research' on ye, let alone Chuckles there."

Good point. Proven later by Jon Irenicus.

“Well, it IS only thanks to your master, halfling. Though I will let that pass.” The drow casually remarked.

Nice! ;)

Viconia looked panicked. “I…. was never told about your relation. I… assumed you were his bodyguard or manservant and the mage someone tied to one of your surfacer houses’ fighters out on a task.”

LOL! Though... I can't imagine Viconia looking panicked or fearing Monty - perhaps 'scared', though even that seems a too strong word.

Xzar hiccupped. “Awh… but he’d make such a great king.” He spoke in a high voice. “Oh, my Lord Talek. It’s terrible. Dragons with feet like rabbit have overrun our village. Please, Your Majesty. Do something.”

:D

Talek wiped some tears out of his eyes and had to steady himself and think for a second before he puffed up his chest and raised his sword. “Forsooth, thou dilemma be verily moth dangerous. Sir Montaron…” He had to stop for a few seconds as Xzar’s giggles caused him to echo with his own laughter. “Sir Montaron,” He repeated through his tears “Most trusted of mine servants, I doth hereby grant you the QUEST to slay yonder dragons.” He pointed the sword at Montaron who looked like he was trying to rub the two out of existence by looking at them, then collapsed in hilarity, leaning against his backpack.

BWAHAHAHA!!!! :) Lovely implicit insult to Anomen! :)

“You have NO idea.” Montaron said exasperated. “Anyway, things you should NOT, EVER do, and woman, I am SERIOUS, is insulting his dead stepfather or questioning their relationship, ye might even wanna avoid the fact that it’s not his real father, and the other thing is a girl called Imoen. She’s his childhood friend, something of the smart sister. She’s a smart girl, good thief, keen eye but wants to be a hero.” He looked at Viconia seriously “Don’t insult her, don’t question their relationship, and if ye ever meet her, don’t lay a finger on her. He broke a woman’s nose for slapping her. As he is now, that might earn ye a quick death.”

Yeah... hopefully Jaheira also has learned this by now... :P

Montaron gave a chuckle. “Heh, me, jealous? There’s a good one. Seems ALL elves assume every other race on Faerûn is pining for their boneless asses.” Viconia gave him a rather angry look. “Don’t gimme that look. I know well enough that yer looks are what elves and humans go for. But I can’t reach yer head, yer feet are hairless and ye look positively famished to me. I’d as soon lust after a dwarf girl.”

Heh, would you know I'm running a halfling assassin romancing Viconia in BG2... :)

“Hey guys.” Talek suddenly said “We’re back. Nashkel, with all its bastard Amnian Helmite priests, bastard Amnian soldiers, and bastard Amnians in general.” Down the path they were walking the town of Nashkel was visible.

I think it is 'Amnish', not 'Amnian'.

“Gold? Oh yeah THAT gold” Don’t worry. Imoen will have taken care of that.” Talek said with a dismissive gesture.

Heh, wonder if Berrun is still waiting to give them the reward...

Talek’s face was dead serious though. “I’m not hiding. I’m not gonna pretend that we’re all upstanding citizens. I’ve got the feeling I’ve been wearing a mask all my life. I’m not about to go pretending I’m not travelling with a drow. Let Viconia go as she likes”

Montaron grimaced. “Nice speech. But yer blasted principals won’t change the fact that we’ll get the whole town on us.”

I'm sure it will happen eventually, whether Viconia covers her face or not...

Viconia nodded and started to position her clothing to show more of her black skin in strategic places as she ran down. “It’s a good thing most humans don’t mind elves isn’t it?” She grinned.

Doesn't she wear some serious armor, though? How revealing can you make that?

“Please, abbil” Viconia pleaded “My parents were killed by the vile Llolth priests. I have no-where to go.” She pretended to be protecting her modesty while actually pulling the upper part of her tunic down a bit more. Some of the soldiers were moving their heads trying to see a flash of nipple. “I have nothing left, and these kind people…”

Heh, I would throw her behind bars for indecent exposure... those charms don't work on me... :)

Btw... I think it is 'Lolth', at least that's how she's called in the game and in the 'Faiths & Pantheons'

“Your parents are dead Viconia? Sorry, I didn’t kn….” Talek expressed and turned around to look at Viconia, then froze, blushed and quickly turned around. “d….didn’t know.” Some of the soldiers sniggered.

D'oh! Not an image the boy will soo forget... hmm, maybe now he will be drawing other things than killing Jaheira and Khalid... :?:

It took some time for Viconia to explain the situation to Talek though, especially because he was avoiding looking at her. He did see the other people though. Unless they were staring at Viconia, they were staring at him. He met their stares with a mocking glare, a grin and now and then a small nod.

Oh, no need to be surprised. He has already built up a nice reputation in these parts... :)

#3 Guest_argan_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:23 PM

Bloody awesome chapter! I love this party ;)

#4 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 01:23 PM

[quote][quote] Ack... that took WAY too long. Flu, school and laziness conspired against me. Ah well. Hope I'll keep a bit more speed now.
[/quote]

Bah! What unconvincing excuses for making us wait! ;) :) [/quote] [/quote]

WAAAAAH :P Pwease forgive me. Don't make me bring out the anime tears. We both know how much you love anime.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Tough luck, he's already dead... [/quote]

Talek: I'll.... euh... kill him again then!

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

See, Xzar knows... [/quote]

yeppers.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Um, something equally bad? [/quote]

:?:

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Aw, Viconia just wants to score another convert. Seems she goes about more professionally about her serving Shar than the other Viconia's around here. [/quote]

Viconia: Bunch of poseurs. :)

[quote] [quote]
"Euh.... what.... I..." Talek looked around panickly as the priest and the mage glared at each other.
[/quote]

Hmm, panickly seems to be a bit touch too strong, doesn't it? Perhaps 'perplexed' or 'puzzled'? [/quote]

Or confused. Yeah

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Good point. Proven later by Jon Irenicus. [/quote]

Quite...

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Nice! ;) [/quote]

Viconia, the most insulting remark she could find and she wasn't even trying.

[quote] [quote]
Viconia looked panicked. “I…. was never told about your relation. I… assumed you were his bodyguard or manservant and the mage someone tied to one of your surfacer houses’ fighters out on a task.”
[/quote]

LOL! Though... I can't imagine Viconia looking panicked or fearing Monty - perhaps 'scared', though even that seems a too strong word. [/quote]

Well, in BG1 she seemed a LOT more easily scared then 2. (she IS new to the surface after all) But it wasn't really 'scared' panicked, more 'oh shit, I completely misjudged stuff' panic.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:?: [/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

BWAHAHAHA!!!! :) Lovely implicit insult to Anomen! :) [/Quote]

Heh, wasn't even thinking of Helm-boy. Just Talek's impression of 'king'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Yeah... hopefully Jaheira also has learned this by now... :) [/quote]

Oh yeah. I'm not intent on making her STUPID.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Heh, would you know I'm running a halfling assassin romancing Viconia in BG2... :) [/quote]

Reminds me of Casanonda from Terry PRattchet. 'The world's second greatest lover who ever lived'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

I think it is 'Amnish', not 'Amnian'. [/quote]

Whoopsee....

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Heh, wonder if Berrun is still waiting to give them the reward... [/quote]

Hey.... he's only got one day of a head start on them. He DOESN'T wanna piss them off more then he already has.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

I'm sure it will happen eventually, whether Viconia covers her face or not... [/quote]

YEah, but he'd like to get the reward first, and maybe do some adventurers' groceries.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Doesn't she wear some serious armor, though? How revealing can you make that? [/quote]

IIRC, I had her enter pretty much without armour, and the party doesn't have an elven woman size chainmail laying around.

[quote] [quote]
“Please, abbil” Viconia pleaded “My parents were killed by the vile Llolth priests. I have no-where to go.” She pretended to be protecting her modesty while actually pulling the upper part of her tunic down a bit more. Some of the soldiers were moving their heads trying to see a flash of nipple. “I have nothing left, and these kind people…”
[/quote]

Heh, I would throw her behind bars for indecent exposure... those charms don't work on me... :) [/quote]

Now if a certain DRUID would tell you to stop that foolishnes and let her in, your reaction would be Sliiiiiightly different I suppose? :)

[quote] Btw... I think it is 'Lolth', at least that's how she's called in the game and in the 'Faiths & Pantheons' [/quote]

Dang...

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

D'oh! Not an image the boy will soo forget... hmm, maybe now he will be drawing other things than killing Jaheira and Khalid... :) [/quote]

Heh... nah, he's not about to draw that. He's having trouble BREATHING while thinking about it, let alone drawing it.

[quote] [quote]
It took some time for Viconia to explain the situation to Talek though, especially because he was avoiding looking at her. He did see the other people though. Unless they were staring at Viconia, they were staring at him. He met their stares with a mocking glare, a grin and now and then a small nod.[/quote]

Oh, no need to be surprised. He has already built up a nice reputation in these parts... :D[/quote]

Yep.... little chance they're getting a discount.

#5 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 01:26 PM

Bloody awesome chapter! I love this party ;)

Thanks. ;)

#6 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 04:06 PM

Not quite that simple, Talek.

"He doesn't NEED Shar!" Xzar yelled again in a high-pitched voice. "He doesn't need any gods!"

And it's about time you told Talek why, Xzar. He's got every right to know, and he's going to just a little pissed if he finds out you've been keeping it from him.

Montaron walked up to Talek who was carrying most of the weight. The boy smiled at him "Thanks, Montaron. I'm kind of out of my depth regarding stuff like magic and gods and such."

:) He's going to have to get to grips with it eventually, though.

Montaron nodded. "Good for ye that ye know that. If ye want my advice, just make sure ye don't suddenly explode in yer sleep or something and don't pay too much attention to those two.

Yep, sounds like good advice. :)

"Could be." Talek's eyes darkened. "But it wasn't his voice. I know the voice of the bastard, and I'll remember it."

You do that, Talek. Sarevok is a pretty worthy target for Talek's anger.

Montaron raised his eyebrows. “Now there’s a tone I wouldn’t expect from someone begging for rescue a few hours ago.”

If you're expecting Vic to be humble, Monty, you've got another think coming.

Viconia looked surprised. “I…. was never told about your relation. I… assumed you were his bodyguard or manservant and the mage someone tied to one of your surfacer houses’ fighters out on a task.”

LOL! Guess that's a logical way for a drow to see things, though.

LOL! Poor Monty. ;)

“As for the boy….” Montaron continued. “I’m sure ye figured out he ain’t the brightest star in the sky. He knows that too, and he hasn’t got any trouble with people pointing it out. SO if ye see him doing something stupid, feel free to CALL him that, and ye might have a chance that he’ll actually LISTEN.”

Probably. ;)

“Two things. Don’t lie to him. It’s easier getting what ye want by asking it anyway. And now that he’s accepted ye, he’ll probably be okay but all things ye’ve done or are gonna do. And also, as long as ye keep those rules in mind, it’s unlikely he’ll ever try to do any harm to you at all. He seems to think friendship and trust are pretty important. So don’t act like he might suddenly decide to sell ye or kill ye or whatever. And don’t…. ever… turn against him in a fight. “

Yep, Monty knows Talek pretty well, I think.

He thought for a moment. “One more thing. I advise ye not to go and try to seduce him. Ye’ll probably succeed before ye even started trying hard, but ye’re better off not doing it.”

Talek's got enough on his mind without that, I'd say.

Got a thing for beards have you, Monty? :)

“Let me tell ye. We travelled with some other people for a while. They hated me and the mage, and we didn’t like hem either. But the boy trusted them almost completely. He even almost took a crossbow bolt for one of them. And then he figured they betrayed him. Took Imoen some time to convince him to let them live. And if ye check that book with drawings of him, ye know he’s still ready to go at them if she gives him the permission. So… do you REALLY wanna risk finding out how he deals with a case of ‘brokenheartness?’”

:) I hope Talek will change his mind about Khalid and Jaheira eventually, though. However badly they went about it, they were trying to help him - and I suspect he's going to meet precious few other people who are prepared to do that.

This could be interesting, especially if Talek takes a 'kill everyone not prepared to treat Vic fairly' approach to the problem.

Talek put his hand on his sword. “Let them. My father used to say there are things worth getting into trouble for.”

And that's an admirable sentiment - but there are better ways to fight injustice than to get yourself killed fighting a needless battle that won't change anything. Monty's talking sense here, Talek.

Montaron followed her and laughed. “In the borderlands, there’s plenty of humans that fancy orcs, so don’t go gettin’ a big head cause you can make humans go gaga.”

LOL!

:) Poor Talek. But I guess he's getting used to it, now.

Great chapter. :)

Will we stay with Talek for a while, or will we get to see how Immy and the Harpers are getting on soon?

#7 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 04:54 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Not quite that simple, Talek. [/quote]

Heh, which means it's kind of above his head...

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

And it's about time you told Talek why, Xzar. He's got every right to know, and he's going to just a little pissed if he finds out you've been keeping it from him. [/quote]

Xzar TRIED to tell him, and Talek told him not to speak of it again. I might have him try it at a later time.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:) He's going to have to get to grips with it eventually, though. [/quote]

Or 'it' will get its grips on him.

[quote] [quote]
Montaron nodded. "Good for ye that ye know that. If ye want my advice, just make sure ye don't suddenly explode in yer sleep or something and don't pay too much attention to those two. [/quote]

Yep, sounds like good advice. :) [/quote]

Don't explode...always a good advice.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

You do that, Talek. Sarevok is a pretty worthy target for Talek's anger. [/quote]

Oh yeah, and it's festering nicely. By the time he reaches him.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

If you're expecting Vic to be humble, Monty, you've got another think coming. [/quote]

Yep.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

LOL! Guess that's a logical way for a drow to see things, though. [/quote]

Yep. Doesn't make it easier for Montaron.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

LOL! Poor Monty. ;) [/quote]

He'll have to hear that one a lot in the future.

[quote] [uote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

Probably. ;) [/quote]

Odds say 'yes'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Yep, Monty knows Talek pretty well, I think. [/quote]

I think Montaron and Viconia have something in common. They're both survivors.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Talek's got enough on his mind without that, I'd say.[/quote]

I'd say you're right.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

Got a thing for beards have you, Monty? :D [/quote]

:) Odd really that there were NO female dwarfes in BG or BG2 at all.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

:) I hope Talek will change his mind about Khalid and Jaheira eventually, though. However badly they went about it, they were trying to help him - and I suspect he's going to meet precious few other people who are prepared to do that. [/quote]

Problem is that he's not convinced anymore that he needs help.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

This could be interesting, especially if Talek takes a 'kill everyone not prepared to treat Vic fairly' approach to the problem. [/quote]

'fairly'? His approach is 'kill anyone who threatens Vic'

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

And that's an admirable sentiment - but there are better ways to fight injustice than to get yourself killed fighting a needless battle that won't change anything. Monty's talking sense here, Talek. [/quote]

He's not battling injustice, he's battling trickery and the people that drive Viconia to it.

[quote] [quote]
[/quote]

LOL! [/quote]

humanity's motto: If it has two legs, we'll give it a shot.

[quote] [quote]
It took some time for Viconia to explain the situation to Talek though, especially because he was avoiding looking at her. He did see the other people though. Unless they were staring at Viconia, they were staring at him. He met their stares with a mocking glare, a grin and now and then a small nod.[/quote]

:) Poor Talek. But I guess he's getting used to it, now. [/quote]

Used to it, and he doesn't mind it as much. Accusing stares hurt far less if you agree with them, and don't feel guilty about it.

[quote] Great chapter. :)

Will we stay with Talek for a while, or will we get to see how Immy and the Harpers are getting on soon?[/quote]

We're gonna stay with Talek for a while yet. They are just searching for Gnoll tracks in the wilderness.

Thanks for commenting.

#8 Guest_Helseth_*

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:06 PM

Yep, flu can be a real *beep*. Has a weird tendency to creep up exactly at rush-time, too. Anyway, hope you're better now! :)

LOL! And he's right, too!

Heh. He has seen it too. :)

Religious lecture incoming! I bet his eyes are already starting to glaze over... :)

"I don't care what plans ye got in that rotten brain of ye, wizard, but we've got a job to do. Talk about that stuff in yer free time. I don’t know what the hell is going on, but we've got better things to do then yap about it. And you drow, I’ve made a pile for ye so ye can carry yer weight around. And a club so ye can deal out some damage. We'll buy ye better stuff when we're back in Nashkel." He pointed at the two small backpacks that were prepared for the two weak spell casters. The two grudgingly obliged.

:P Where he got the club? Made it himself?

:) ;) He's already in that "older brother" mode.

Xzar and Viconia took turns interrogating him about the dream though, vainly trying to get more details as Montaron kept an eye on the road. As they reached Nashkel, it was getting close to dusk already, the Halfling addressed the drow though.

Maybe two "though" are too close together?

Montaron’s tread, usually of the same quiet lightness of his people, with a hint of danger mixed in it, faltered and he fell flat on his face. Talek and Xzar turned around.

:?: Is "tread" right? Maybe "step" or something?

Oh. I thought she was deliberately trying to insult Monty.

:? I didn't understand about the mage, though. Who tied him to whom, she thinks? And who's Talek, in her opinion? Some sort of house champion?

Montaron made a disgusted noise. “The nut would gaze in awe on a pile of bird droppings. He’s nuts.

Aww, but we luff him anyway, tak? :)

Montaron turned his eyes skyward. “Oh great. Just great. Ye decide how ye get to thins, ye keep yer hand on the gold, ye make sure everyone’s got their equipment, Mask, Ye make sure the group survives, ye’re the ‘manservant’ Ye wave a few flashy decisions around and expect everyone to agree with them, STUPID decisions I might add, and suddenly you’re a… k…” He slowed down and stopped. “Guess it does make sense.”

:) Exactly. I started to think near the end of his speech that it's a good description of NCO and officer.

And don’t try to wake him when you’re having nightmares.

Maybe it's "when he's having nightmares"?

Heh. Judging by your story about "Drow and her lover", Viconia is the soon-to-be party's omnipresent authority figure, right? :) She starts showing it already...

He broke a woman’s nose for slapping her.

;) And then Monty killed that woman.

And now that he’s accepted ye, he’ll probably be okay but all things ye’ve done or are gonna do.

:? I didn't understand that... Maybe "he'll probably okay all things"?

And also, as long as ye keep those rules in mind, it’s unlikely he’ll ever try to do any harm to you at all. He seems to think friendship and trust are pretty important. So don’t act like he might suddenly decide to sell ye or kill ye or whatever. And don’t…. ever… turn against him in a fight. “

Wow! Monty accepted her. I'm starting to respect that halfling. :)

Montaron gave a chuckle. “Heh, me, jealous? There’s a good one. Seems ALL elves assume every other race on Faerûn is pining for their boneless asses.” Viconia gave him a rather angry look.

Say thanks that he's not a dwarf, Viccy, or he would quip about your lack of beard, too... :)

Good thinking. I'd forgot it, too.

:?: Maybe that's "principles", not "principals"?

8) Neat. I think it's the first time he quotes Gorion, right?

:D She's wanted somethere near, for gods' sake!

Viconia’s face betrayed irritation for only a second. “I didn’t want to burden you. But these kind people have taken me under their wing. Please don’t hurt them because of me. She made some steps forward, making sure her natural assets moved adequately. Even the leader’s eyes now strayed. He regained his composure however and called the patrol to attention, then addressed the party.

“You may bring her in. But if anything fishy happens, all of your heads will roll for it.” With that he let them pass, and enter Nashkel.

8) Wow! She's good. I wonder if the Drizzt's life was easier if he had her kind of... assets. :)

Now he's becoming a sort of town hero. Oh, the irony... :) :)

Very nice. I like your "talking" chapters. :)

Only I'm thinking now... All the four guys and gal in that party are evil, right? Sure, it's all fine and dandy now, but then a conflict of interests arises... They are not that subtle. :) :)

#9 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:13 PM

Yep, flu can be a real *beep*. Has a weird tendency to creep up exactly at rush-time, too. Anyway, hope you're better now! :)

I am. BTW, I am not gonna comment on all your improvements. Suffice to say they are all VERY on the mark. And thanks for pointing the mistakes out to me.

LOL! And he's right, too!

But not in the way he WANTS to.

Heh. He has seen it too. :)

yep.

Religious lecture incoming! I bet his eyes are already starting to glaze over... :D

Oooooh yes. Most gods can't really hold Talek's attention long enough. He's pretty much open for the market now though. I'll have him find a suitable god on his travels. Too bad for Viconia, it won't be Shar. She's too secretive for Talek's taste.

:?: Where he got the club? Made it himself?

Hey, ya take a suitably big branch, drive a nail throught it: Club. Besides, in his profession, it's not unlikely he has one for his own purposes with him.

:) ;) He's already in that "older brother" mode.

Yeah, but if Talek ever calls him that....

Oh. I thought she was deliberately trying to insult Monty.

Not even....

:? I didn't understand about the mage, though. Who tied him to whom, she thinks? And who's Talek, in her opinion? Some sort of house champion?

I kinda screwed up that sentence. She thinks the mage is also tied to Talek. And yeah, he'd be some kind of House champion. Even an heir. With a name as Gorionson...

Montaron made a disgusted noise. “The nut would gaze in awe on a pile of bird droppings. He’s nuts.

Aww, but we luff him anyway, tak? :)

Luvable Xzar.

:) Exactly. I started to think near the end of his speech that it's a good description of NCO and officer.

The more things change....

Heh. Judging by your story about "Drow and her lover", Viconia is the soon-to-be party's omnipresent authority figure, right? :) She starts showing it already...

Well, she'll have to contend with Montaron for THAT position. And she's still pretty new to the Surface world, but once she's more experienced, she'll definately be the one to make the decisions.... except when Talek gets stubborn.

He broke a woman’s nose for slapping her.

:) And then Monty killed that woman.

In a very merry way I may add.

And also, as long as ye keep those rules in mind, it’s unlikely he’ll ever try to do any harm to you at all. He seems to think friendship and trust are pretty important. So don’t act like he might suddenly decide to sell ye or kill ye or whatever. And don’t…. ever… turn against him in a fight. “

Wow! Monty accepted her. I'm starting to respect that halfling. :D

Montaron distrusts EVERYONE, regardless of gender, race, religion or creed. And if her goddess wants her to help them, he might as well profit from it.

Montaron gave a chuckle. “Heh, me, jealous? There’s a good one. Seems ALL elves assume every other race on Faerûn is pining for their boneless asses.” Viconia gave him a rather angry look.

Say thanks that he's not a dwarf, Viccy, or he would quip about your lack of beard, too... :D

Still thought that Gimli shouldn't go all gaga for Galadriel. Pervy elf-fancier.

Good thinking. I'd forgot it, too.

Yep... too bad 'good thinking' isn't Talek's forte. Though he actually DID do some thinking on this.

8) Neat. I think it's the first time he quotes Gorion, right?

Yep...

:roll: She's wanted somethere near, for gods' sake!

Talek: Huh? She's wanted? That's a good thing right? They want her there and such....

8) Wow! She's good. I wonder if the Drizzt's life was easier if he had her kind of... assets. :wink:

There are belts for that...

Now he's becoming a sort of town hero. Oh, the irony... :) :)

Maybe I should clarify that. they aren't 'oh look, it's the HERO' looks, they're 'oh crap, it's HIM. Let's hope he doesn't kill anyone' looks.

Very nice. I like your "talking" chapters. :)

Thanks, I have rather many of them, so I'm glad they're enjoyable. And thanks for reviewing.

Only I'm thinking now... All the four guys and gal in that party are evil, right? Sure, it's all fine and dandy now, but then a conflict of interests arises... They are not that subtle. :) :)

Heh, well, at least they won't have any discussions about their means to their ends eh? And Xzar and Viconia have their goal pretty much defined as 'follow Talek' and Talek and Montaron both want to find the source of the Iron Crisis. Besides, with Talek in your party; you'll need all your energy either convincing him NOT to go through suicidal plans, or recovering from when you FAILED to convince him.

#10 Guest_Helseth_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:36 PM

Now he's becoming a sort of town hero. Oh, the irony... :wink: :D

Maybe I should clarify that. they aren't 'oh look, it's the HERO' looks, they're 'oh crap, it's HIM. Let's hope he doesn't kill anyone' looks.

:wink: Oh. Thanks for clarifying. Actually, I had yet another version in mind: "oh look, he's got drow with him, must be really tough". It's Murphy's law... :D

#11 Laufey

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:04 PM

LOL! Yes, good point.

“My WHAT!?” He yelled.

Xzar and Talek immediately began laughing hysterically. Montaron got up and gave her a killer glare. The red in his face didn’t seem to be all anger though. “You…. assumed wrong. And for all the gods’ sake, don’t ever say anything like that again.”

ROFL! Oh, this was hilarious! :D Very on the mark.

And so was this. :wink:

Ooooh yeah. That would be....nasty. And Monty did an apt summary of Talek's character, I think.

Very noble...if perhaps not practical.

Montaron made a sad face. “We found the poor girl on our way back, sir. She escaped the underdark and their evil practices. She means no harm!”

“Please, abbil” Viconia pleaded “My parents were killed by the vile Lolth priests. I have no-where to go.” She pretended to be protecting her modesty while actually pulling the upper part of her tunic down a bit more. Some of the soldiers were moving their heads trying to see a flash of nipple. “I have nothing left, and these kind people…”

Good grief! :wink:

Ah...and time to meet a certain...rhyming...thing. :D
Rogues do it from behind.

#12 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:51 PM

LOL! Yes, good point.

Montaron tends to have them.

“My WHAT!?” He yelled.

ROFL! Oh, this was hilarious! :wink: Very on the mark.

And Montaron's pride was the mark.

And so was this. :wink:

Heh...

Ooooh yeah. That would be....nasty. And Monty did an apt summary of Talek's character, I think.

Cheating on Talek is about as safe as cheating on Edwin's mother. Except it's a lot easier.

Very noble...if perhaps not practical.

Talek is a lot of things. PRactical isn't one of them.

Good grief! :D

And then someone appeared and gave Viconia an Oscar.
Viconia: You love me. You REALLY love me! ...I mean... about time, pathetic rivvil.

Ah...and time to meet a certain...rhyming...thing. :D

Indeed :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com