The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 27

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:57 PM

The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 27

That night, not long after darkness had fallen, Kane and Crystal stood face to face beside the ship that would take her away from the city. The Bhaalspawn had won his battle to come alone, though Edwin had complained and sulked. But Kane had stayed firm, refused to give in to his lover. This was something that he had to do alone. A silence hung heavily over them; neither of them really knew what to say. Finally, Kane couldn’t stand it any longer.

“You’re ready then?” he asked her.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” She was scared, he could tell, frightened of what lay ahead for her and her child. But there was steely resolve in her voice too, determination in her eyes. If she could find strength within herself that was not built on anger, Kane was certain that she would be all right. “Thank you for getting my lover out of the way.”

“It was our pleasure,” Kane said awkwardly. “Never liked the stuck-up bastard and his family anyway. Here, I have something for you.” He reached into his tunic and took out a bag of coins. “Take them.”

“I can’t.” Crystal shook her head, suddenly looking uncertain. “I can’t accept them.”

“Take them!” the warrior insisted. “There should be enough there to keep you going for a while until you get yourself sorted. Don’t go back on the streets and don’t end up with another violent man, your little one deserves a better life than that. And…and remember what I said in the graveyard, Crystal, try to forget what happened back then, let go of the anger and move on. Holding on to anger never did anyone any good, I should know.”

“Thank you.” She reached for the bag with a trembling hand. “For everything, you’ve done more for me than I deserve. You have a good heart when it counts, even though you try to hide it well.” Kane began to speak, but Crystal shook her head, clutching her baby to her chest. “Since we spoke in the graveyard, I have been doing a lot of thinking and I want you to know that…that I don’t blame you for what you did to me that night. You tried to help me, you cared about me, and I threw it back in your face, I betrayed you, hurt you when you had already been hurt so much.”

“Yes,” Kane agreed, his voice barely more than a whisper. “Yes, you did. But that didn’t give me the right to do what I did.”

“Doesn’t it? You were angry and upset and you wanted to hurt me, humiliate me like I had done to you. And with Bhaal urging you on…it was understandable. I know that it could have been much worse, you only humiliated me when you could have hurt me much worse…even killed me. Humiliation…you can get over it. If I hate you for anything, it is killing Carlo. I can understand why you did it, that you did it for me as well as yourself and Lucie, and I’m starting to see that maybe you did me a favour…but old habits die very hard. He may have been a bastard, but I spent a large part of my life loving him and his death hit me very hard. But I’m hoping that once I get away from here, I really can put it behind me.”

“Maybe if we ever meet again, it will be on better terms. Now you’d better go before the captain gets impatient and leaves you behind.”

“You’re right.” Crystal hesitated and touched him lightly on the shoulder. “No matter what happens, I won’t forget what you’ve done for me. Goodbye Kane.”

She turned and walked away. Kane stayed where he was until the last passenger had boarded and the ship had pulled out of the docks.

“Good riddance,” he muttered under his breath, though he was unsure of whether he meant it or not. He could never be sure of his true feelings where Crystal was concerned. That was why he had needed to see her off, to reassure himself that she had really gone. Things would be so much easier now that she was out of his life. Now there would be no more worrying about her tracking him down and dragging up the past, making a scene. They could both try to forget, move on. Though in order to do that, Kane knew that he had to tell Edwin the truth. The complete truth. And that was not something that he was looking forward to.

The others were waiting for their leader outside the Sea Bounty tavern. By the time Kane returned, many of them were bored with waiting and a little agitated. Apart from Edwin who seemed impatient, worried and upset.

“Where is he?” he kept muttering, much to the annoyance of the rest. “How much longer can he possibly take?” When they saw Kane coming along, nothing could hide the expression of relief on his face.

“I’m sorry!” Kane shrugged apologetically as they approached him, meeting him halfway down the steps.

“She left then?” Cory asked. Kane nodded.

“She’s gone,” he told them. “I doubt we’ll be seeing her again…not anytime soon at least.”

“Good!” Edwin said plainly. “She has been causing nothing but trouble since she turned up.”

“Don’t start, Edwin,” his lover warned. “Believe me, I am not in the mood just now.”

“Why not? What has she said to you?”

“Right now, that is between me and her.” Kane shrugged off the wizard’s concerns. “Stop being so jealous, will you?”

“I…” Edwin started, but Kagain quickly stepped in.

“That’s enough out of both of you,” he ordered boldly. “Don’t we have a job to perform, leader?” Korgan laughed openly at his nerve and Viconia chuckled. Despite being a little shocked, Kane could not help but smirk as he looked at his good friend.

“Yes,” he nodded. “Yes, we have. So let us get to it. Arguing can wait. I’m sorry, Edwin. We’ll talk about this later, all right?”

“Is everything all right?” Benny asked in a whisper, falling into step beside his student as they began to move. “What did she say to you?”

“Things are sorted out between us,” Kane whispered back. “We parted on reasonable terms.”

“Good,” Benny lightly patted him on the back. “Hopefully that’ll do the both of you some good. No good dwelling on the past, Kane, you have to look to the future now.”

There were few people around the lower docks, a few tired-looking women hanging around, one or two young men who appeared to be looking for a fight…though one look at Kane’s group and they soon ran in the other direction. Then there was the woman, dressed in leather, armed with a sword. None of them recognised her, but they did have a feeling that she was the woman that Aran had told them to seek. She heard their approach and turned, her sword drawn.

“No need for that,” Cory said quietly, stepping backwards as the blade narrowly missed his face. “We’re friends.”

“Ye are, are ye?” she stared at them suspiciously for a moment. Kane met her eyes, not appearing at all bothered by the sword in her hand. “Ye are the ones that Aran was gonna send? Aye, that one is definitely one of us,” she nodded at Cory. “So ye must be Kane Theaza then, the Bhaalspawn Mae’Var was so fond of? And ye,” she turned to Benny. “Every thief in the city knows who ye are, though I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting ye face to face.”

“You are Mook, right?”

“I am,” the woman agreed. “Bloody fine to have some back-up, I can tell you. Standing out here alone night after night wears on your nerves, I can tell you.”

“I would much rather be in bed,” Viconia shivered and rubbed her arms. “Let us hope that this is one job we can get done quickly.”

“We shall see.” Benny finally spoke, having studied Mook careful for a moment. “Tell us of the situation.”

“And quick,” Korgan muttered. “I be bloody freezing ‘ere.”

“There’s this man who keeps walking past, watching me,” the female thief explained. “He has been past four times already tonight, though he looks a bit different each time.”

“How do you know that it is the same man then?” It was obvious from his tone that Edwin was not in the best of moods. “Maybe it is merely a coincidence that they look alike.”

“We’re trained to notice these things!” Cory spoke before Mook could. “Right, Benny?”

“Some of us more than others,” Benny muttered. “He looks different each time, you say? I wonder…” he trailed off and would say no more, though his eyes narrowed and his hand settled comfortably on the hilt of his sword.

“Anything particularly odd about him?” Kane asked her. “What was he doing, just walking up and down?”

“He was casing the area and studying me. If we wait, he is bound to show up again sooner or later.”

“Hopefully sooner.” Now it was Kagain’s turn to complain. “I don’t want to be out ‘ere all night.”

As the hours ticked by, the adventurers became more and more impatient. They were all cold and tired and most of them longed for a warm bed. Kagain and Korgan sat down, weapons in hand, though they looked half asleep. Viconia was shivering a little and Cory had collapsed against Edwin’s shoulder. The wizard himself was so tired that his wasn’t even sure that he could remember any of his spells. Only Kane, Benny and Mook were really alert and the three of them took it in turns to wander up and down the docks, looking for anything suspicious. They were just beginning to give up hope when the man appeared, glancing warily about him and then lurking in the cover of the shadows.

“Here he comes,” Mook said, keeping her voice low. The others instantly started to become alert. “He looks different at night, kind of creepy. You wait here, I’ll find out what’s going on.”

She approached him, short sword in hand, keeping her head high. Tense and ready to strike, Benny followed her, though she did give him an irritated glare. The man kept himself half hidden in the shadows, his face turned away so that the shapeshifter couldn’t see what he wanted to see. So patiently he stood beside Mook and waited.

“Hail friend!” she greeted, though her voice was tense. “’Tis a fine evening for a stroll, no?”

“Mook…” the man hissed. “I have been looking for you.”

“Who…?” Mook seemed taken aback by the stranger’s familiarity. “Who is it that speaks to me like an old acquaintance?”

“It is fitting, Mook, for I have been watching you.”

“Have you?” Though she tried to stay calm, she was feeling uneasy and the others could tell from her voice. Benny took a step closer, both to reassure Mook and to attempt to get a better look at the man’s face. “What might your purpose be?”

“Truly, my beauty, it is time for you to leave this life.” As the man reached for her, Mook took a step back, but she wasn’t fast enough. As his fingers dug deep into her arm, knocking away her sword, Benny got a good glimpse of his face in the dim light. The pale face, the red and sunken eyes…it was as he had suspected.

“A vampire!” he growled, drawing his sword. “Attack, Kane!”

The adventurers did as he ordered, but not in time. Mook gave a cry as the vampire thrust his claws into her chest and dropped to the ground, her strength gone. He hissed in pain as several weapons hit him, cutting into his arms, shoulders and stomach but not managing to do any severe damage, ducked out and fled away from them.

“This is not over, Bhaalchild!” he cried back over his shoulder. “I and my mistress shall be waiting for you!”

With that, he turned into a bat and flew off into the night. Several loud curses broke through the night as Kane, Korgan and Kagain made their frustration clear. Cory and Benny had knelt beside Mook, who was lying in a pool of blood, her eyes closed. There was no doubt that she was dead.

“’Tis a pity,” Benny said quietly, though his voice was strangely cold. “But there is nothing that can be done for her now.”

“Serves ‘er right,” Korgan muttered. “For making us sit out in the cold for so long.”

“Her guard was down right from the beginning.” Kane had to agree with Korgan. “She should have been more careful. If you aren’t careful in this world, you die. It’s a fact.”

“Agreed completely,” Viconia shivered again. “Is our task finished now? Can we go?”

“Who did he mean by ‘is mistress?” Kagain asked. “You be knowing that, shapeshifter?”

“No,” Benny shook his head as they all looked at him expectantly. “Though I have no doubt that eventually we shall meet her.”

“They know,” Edwin said quietly, looking at Kane. “They know that you are a Bhaalspawn. They have an interest in you.”

“Somehow, I’m not surprised.” The warrior shrugged, apparently not concerned. “They would not be the first group to hold an interest in me and they will not be the last. If they seek to kill me, they will soon find that they have made a big mistake. Don’t worry about me so much, Edwin.”

“Let’s not have an argument now either,” Cory pleaded. “It is too cold and it is going to rain in a minute. There is nothing left for us to do here, surely.”

“Aye, you’re right.” Kane agreed, turning away from his companions. “Come then, let us go back to the tavern. It is too cold to be wandering around here, Aran can wait until tomorrow for his bloody news.”

Next Part: Edwin and Kane have a much needed discussion, little knowing that there is more trouble in store.

#2 Laufey

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:12 PM

“Take them!” the warrior insisted. “There should be enough there to keep you going for a while until you get yourself sorted. Don’t go back on the streets and don’t end up with another violent man, your little one deserves a better life than that. And…and remember what I said in the graveyard, Crystal, try to forget what happened back then, let go of the anger and move on. Holding on to anger never did anyone any good, I should know.”

That was nice of Kane...and he's right about stayin away from violent men.

“Thank you.” She reached for the bag with a trembling hand. “For everything, you’ve done more for me than I deserve. You have a good heart when it counts, even though you try to hide it well.” Kane began to speak, but Crystal shook her head, clutching her baby to her chest. “Since we spoke in the graveyard, I have been doing a lot of thinking and I want you to know that…that I don’t blame you for what you did to me that night. You tried to help me, you cared about me, and I threw it back in your face, I betrayed you, hurt you when you had already been hurt so much.”

“Yes,” Kane agreed, his voice barely more than a whisper. “Yes, you did. But that didn’t give me the right to do what I did.”

“Doesn’t it? You were angry and upset and you wanted to hurt me, humiliate me like I had done to you. And with Bhaal urging you on…it was understandable. I know that it could have been much worse, you only humiliated me when you could have hurt me much worse…even killed me. Humiliation…you can get over it. If I hate you for anything, it is killing Carlo. I can understand why you did it, that you did it for me as well as yourself and Lucie, and I’m starting to see that maybe you did me a favour…but old habits die very hard. He may have been a bastard, but I spent a large part of my life loving him and his death hit me very hard. But I’m hoping that once I get away from here, I really can put it behind me.”

I don't know...it just doesn't sit well with me to see any woman blaming herself for having been raped. Forgiving and moving on is one thing, but I just can't see Kane as blameless in this. I think I would feel stronger sympathy for him here if it was clear that he accepts his guilt, and wants to make up for what he did. I know he does, in the earlier paragraphs, but I think that Crystal blaming herself takes away something from Kane's new morals. Don't know if that is a good explanation or not...it's mostly a general impression, hard to define in words.

“Why not? What has she said to you?”

“Right now, that is between me and her.” Kane shrugged off the wizard’s concerns. “Stop being so jealous, will you?”

Boys...not again. You only just made up. :twisted:

As the hours ticked by, the adventurers became more and more impatient. They were all cold and tired and most of them longed for a warm bed. Kagain and Korgan sat down, weapons in hand, though they looked half asleep. Viconia was shivering a little and Cory had collapsed against Edwin’s shoulder. The wizard himself was so tired that his wasn’t even sure that he could remember any of his spells. Only Kane, Benny and Mook were really alert and the three of them took it in turns to wander up and down the docks, looking for anything suspicious. They were just beginning to give up hope when the man appeared, glancing warily about him and then lurking in the cover of the shadows.

Brrrr...yes, it would be awful to wait that long. Nice description!

Next Part: Edwin and Kane have a much needed discussion, little knowing that there is more trouble in store.

Uh Oh...
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 08 December 2003 - 11:51 PM

“It was our pleasure,” Kane said awkwardly. “Never liked the stuck-up bastard and his family anyway. Here, I have something for you.” He reached into his tunic and took out a bag of coins. “Take them.”

Aw, that's nice of him. Probably both of them will be happier if they part on good terms.

Yep, that's good advice - although not always easy to follow.

“Good riddance,” he muttered under his breath, though he was unsure of whether he meant it or not. He could never be sure of his true feelings where Crystal was concerned. That was why he had needed to see her off, to reassure himself that she had really gone. Things would be so much easier now that she was out of his life. Now there would be no more worrying about her tracking him down and dragging up the past, making a scene. They could both try to forget, move on. Though in order to do that, Kane knew that he had to tell Edwin the truth. The complete truth. And that was not something that he was looking forward to.

It's definitely the right thing to do, though, and I'm glad he has the courage to do it.

“Good!” Edwin said plainly. “She has been causing nothing but trouble since she turned up.”

C'mon Eddie, don't push it.

“How do you know that it is the same man then?” It was obvious from his tone that Edwin was not in the best of moods. “Maybe it is merely a coincidence that they look alike.”

Eddie, she's a thief. You're not. Just accept that she knows what she's talking about, huh?

With that, he turned into a bat and flew off into the night. Several loud curses broke through the night as Kane, Korgan and Kagain made their frustration clear. Cory and Benny had knelt beside Mook, who was lying in a pool of blood, her eyes closed. There was no doubt that she was dead.

:) Not a nice way to go.

“Her guard was down right from the beginning.” Kane had to agree with Korgan. “She should have been more careful. If you aren’t careful in this world, you die. It’s a fact.”

:shock: That's a pretty depressing way to look at it.

“Somehow, I’m not surprised.” The warrior shrugged, apparently not concerned. “They would not be the first group to hold an interest in me and they will not be the last. If they seek to kill me, they will soon find that they have made a big mistake. Don’t worry about me so much, Edwin.”

He's got every reason to, I'd say.

“Aye, you’re right.” Kane agreed, turning away from his companions. “Come then, let us go back to the tavern. It is too cold to be wandering around here, Aran can wait until tomorrow for his bloody news.”

Nice chapter. :twisted:

#4 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 09 December 2003 - 05:51 PM

Aw, that's nice of him. Probably both of them will be happier if they part on good terms.

Perhaps, yes. They've had a bad past, but they do both want to put it behind them now.

Yep, that's good advice - although not always easy to follow.

No...and Kane understands that too.

It's definitely the right thing to do, though, and I'm glad he has the courage to do it.

Yes. They'll both feel much better when everything is out in the open.

C'mon Eddie, don't push it.

That's Eddie for you. ;)

Eddie, she's a thief. You're not. Just accept that she knows what she's talking about, huh?

But Eddie is supposed to know everything! :)

:evil: Not a nice way to go.

No...

:evil: That's a pretty depressing way to look at it.

Yes, it is. But it's hardly surprising that Kane views death in this way.

He's got every reason to, I'd say.

You're probably right. But Kane hates people making a fuss.

Nice chapter. :shock:

Thank you. :evil:

Silver

#5 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 09 December 2003 - 06:04 PM

That was nice of Kane...and he's right about stayin away from violent men.

He sure is...he learnt that from his own experiences.

I don't know...it just doesn't sit well with me to see any woman blaming herself for having been raped. Forgiving and moving on is one thing, but I just can't see Kane as blameless in this. I think I would feel stronger sympathy for him here if it was clear that he accepts his guilt, and wants to make up for what he did. I know he does, in the earlier paragraphs, but I think that Crystal blaming herself takes away something from Kane's new morals. Don't know if that is a good explanation or not...it's mostly a general impression, hard to define in words.

I think I can understand what you mean...though this part makes enough sense to me. You're right, no woman should ever blame herself for being raped, but then it is very much in Crystal's nature to do so. Considering what Carlo did to her too, before and after Kane, I think it would make sense that deep down she would blame herself, believing that there must be something about her that causes the men she cares for to treat her as an object and not a person. Then there is also the events that led up to what happened and how she treated Kane - she's aware that if she hadn't hurt him, he wouldn't have come after her, so she blames herself for that too. Of course, Kane was the one most in the wrong and he knows that, they both know it, but Crystal is the sort of woman to take everything on herself, justified or not.

I really don't know if I explained that very well and I'm sorry if I didn't...I'm pretty tired right now and I can't quite get all my thoughts in order. :evil:

Boys...not again. You only just made up. :)

It's just the way they are. :shock:

Brrrr...yes, it would be awful to wait that long. Nice description!

Thank you!

Uh Oh...

Things are about to get bad again...

#6 Weyoun

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:17 PM

“I can’t.” Crystal shook her head, suddenly looking uncertain. “I can’t accept them.”

Finally doing right by her! Nice. :(

“I’m sorry!” Kane shrugged apologetically as they approached him, meeting him halfway down the steps.

“She left then?” Cory asked. Kane nodded.

“She’s gone,” he told them. “I doubt we’ll be seeing her again…not anytime soon at least.”

Jealous... :)

“You are Mook, right?”

“I am,” the woman agreed. “Bloody fine to have some back-up, I can tell you. Standing out here alone night after night wears on your nerves, I can tell you.”

Ah, goody. It's good ole mook. :(

“Truly, my beauty, it is time for you to leave this life.” As the man reached for her, Mook took a step back, but she wasn’t fast enough. As his fingers dug deep into her arm, knocking away her sword, Benny got a good glimpse of his face in the dim light. The pale face, the red and sunken eyes…it was as he had suspected.

“A vampire!” he growled, drawing his sword. “Attack, Kane!”

The adventurers did as he ordered, but not in time. Mook gave a cry as the vampire thrust his claws into her chest and dropped to the ground, her strength gone. He hissed in pain as several weapons hit him, cutting into his arms, shoulders and stomach but not managing to do any severe damage, ducked out and fled away from them.

:D I wish you could have saved her. :P

“Serves ‘er right,” Korgan muttered. “For making us sit out in the cold for so long.”

My, that's cold...

“Let’s not have an argument now either,” Cory pleaded. “It is too cold and it is going to rain in a minute. There is nothing left for us to do here, surely.”

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:28 PM

Finally doing right by her! Nice. :(

Yeah. :) Kane is far from perfect, but he knows when he's done wrong and he does try to set things right when he can.

Jealous... :(

Oh yes.

Ah, goody. It's good ole mook. :D

Sure is. :P I like her too.

:) I wish you could have saved her. :D

Benny: It is a shame...but it happens. :D

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

Thank you! :)

Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com