Blades and Magic: Part 81, Section 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:55 AM

Second half of the chapter. Hope you like it and critique away, I was still way too tired when I finished this and yes, my brain is still pure pudding. :shock:

The trip to get to the sphere's door seemed to take an eternity to complete, and it certainly hadn't helped that everyone sported at least one injury. Andaire's own healing powers were still too weak to heal more than cuts and bruises, still she had drained them by the time they gratefully stepped past the entrance. She had another reserve of healing left, but that one wasn't goddess granted and she was too wary to use it, tempting as it was. Valygar, wiser than the rest, made sure the door was closed although he grunted in discomfort when he did so.

"Valygar, I'll get Viconia to heal you once we get all the way to where your ancestor is," Andaire told him wearily as the group walked through the entrance tunnel and into the main room.

The noble nodded in agreement. Andaire decided that she liked the man for he was practical and though he disagreed with her on some things, he was still willing to follow her. She called for a rest in the main room and motioned for everyone to listen to her. There was a tearing sound in the air and she automatically checked her clothing to see if she accidentally ripped it. Her things were fine and she idly wondered what that sound had been.

"Listen up," she began. "Minsc is going to take the heart downstairs and fed it to that weird machine some of you saw and that Lavok told us about. Nalia, Yoshimo, go with him in case it's difficult to figure out how to do it."

"No worries Andaire!" Minsc told her. "Boo knows what to do and I shall do it for him since his paws are too tiny for all those knobs and buttons."

She managed a grin and said, "Good, then go. When we get back home, we're going to take a couple of days to rest up."

"Young lady," Keldorn told her in a stern voice. "There's a matter that I must bring to your attention before we go any further."

Andaire sighed inwardly. The last thing she needed was to have an in depth discussion on how dark elves were inherently evil, which she suspected the 'talk' was going to be about. "What is it?"

The paladin ignored the ire in her tone and said, "There is a ragged hole near the top of your pack. Your ill-mannered crow is even now tearing out more threads by the beak full. I'm afraid you'll have to have the pack replaced."

Someone behind her laughed. She let out a curse word in Undercommon for she had forgotten that she had put the bird there. Of all the things for Blackie to do, now she'll have to go buy a new pack! She asked someone to let the crow out for her and Anomen came to her aid. "Steady my lady, I'll have the bird free in a minute."

"My thanks," Andaire replied, steadfastly ignoring the sidelong glance Jaheira gave her. She had other things on her mind as for some reason, she found herself wishing that Anomen would rub the kinks out of her shoulders. The image was a pleasant one indeed, and Andaire was enjoying it until the silence was broken by cursing.

"Blasted bird!" Anomen swore. "He bit me. Had I not been wearing my gauntlets, doubtless blood would be flowing from the wound on my fingers. There, the foul creature is free."

"Thanks," Andaire said. She was disappointed to see the squire leave her presence. She glared at the bird as he scrambled to take his place on her shoulder, but as usual he was unrepentant in his behavior. With nothing more to be done she led her companions back to the room where the necromancer awaited them.

She mused as they made the torturously long trip back to the 'control room' that the demon fight would seem like a pleasant distraction in comparison to what Jaheira would say to her. She grumbled to herself for Jaheira was acting more… she didn't want to say overbearing but no other word would fit for now. Why she couldn't figure out yet, but it was beginning to irk her. Jaheira was right about one thing though in that she should have used magic and should not have gone charging in. It was just that when she heard or sensed here sire's presence she felt like doing nothing more than hacking at an enemy with her sword. Gorion was right as always when he taught her that to deal with magic required a cool head.

"At last," a bored Viconia said once Andaire entered the room. "I've been watching this jaluk for ages. This is beneath my dignity."

"Nothing would be beneath your dignity, if you had any," Keldorn snapped.

"Be quiet or else," Andaire said. "No bickering, got it? Haer'Dalis, go help Lavok with the controls and don't even think about taking any side trips. At this point in time the last thing I want to do is to go plane hopping any more than necessary. Viconia, go heal Valygar as best you can, I think he broke a rib or two."

"Did you get the heart?" Lavok wondered as the Tiefling approached his position. He was sitting on the ground and leaning against the base of the control panel, and a series of violent coughs wracked his frame.

Just as the necromancer recovered, some stands that were previously dark lit up. Something hummed to life in the back of the room and Lavok nodded in relief. "Good, the engine has power. I'm not long to live, so press the main switch and we'll be back in Athkatla. I've already had the route to Athkatla set up, thanks to the insistence of the dark elf."

Viconia frowned at the mention of the word elf, but otherwise she got a perverse sense of amusement out of standing near Keldorn and making him uncomfortable by her very presence.

"Wait," Valygar interjected. "What of those knights that you stole from their home?"

"He's right," Andaire agreed. "They need to go home too, I promised them. I think they came from, what was it again? Abalone, Anseer and no, Ansalon. They came from Ansalon."

"Does the raven truly wish to fly to a land unknown?" Haer'Dalis asked, getting confirmation when the half elf nodded in assent.

"Then listen to my instructions planar one," Lavok said to Haer'Dalis. "And do what I tell you to do."

Soon the machine hummed louder, though it didn't feel like they were really moving anywhere. They did hear that strange disembodied voice that had first announced the sphere had moved when they had opened the main door, and no one in the party knew form where it came. Lavok probably knew, but at the moment he was in no condition to say anything. Being one of the least injured, Andaire herself led the grateful knights to the door once the sphere came to a stop. She passed by Minsc, Nalia and Yoshimo on her way to the entrance, and since they were curious they followed her despite her instructions to the contrary. The Solamnic Knights had nothing to give Andaire except for their profuse thanks and an odd warning not to let the Kendar riding on her shoulder try on any more strange rings. She did get a glimpse of their world before the door shut and the sphere took off. It was a lovely place that reminded her of the nicer parts of the forests along the Sword Coast. She waved farewell to the knights and hoped that they noticed her gesture.

She didn't move too far from the entrance for she figured that the others would soon join her after the sphere reached Athkatla. A few minutes later the remainder of the party arrived. Keldorn was carrying Lavok for the necromancer was too weak to walk the distance. Haer'Dalis looked fascinated by the proceedings and Valygar looked glum. Andaire nodded and led the group outside. Without discussing it they formed a single line and remained rather subdued. The half elf couldn't shake the impression that they were in the midst of a funeral procession.

The main door opened and sunlight crept through the entrance to the sphere. Andaire stared down from her lofty perch into the depths of the city. Even from this height she imagined she could hear the constant din of the slums. People bustled about their daily lives, unaware and uncaring of the drama taking place above the level of their rooftops. She turned away from her contemplation of the city and silently watched the paladin place the dying ancestor of Valygar on the walkway of the sphere. Not everyone could fit on the platform, so at least half the group remained indoors.

Valygar bent low until he was practically kneeling beside his relative. Lavok looked even paler than before and there were flecks of blood on his chin. However, he didn't appear to mind his imminent death for he was smiling at the sky. A lone hawk passed overhead, adding his mournful cry to the bustle of a large city.

"At last," Lavok wheezed. "I'm home. Not only do I get to die under my own sun with my mind my own once again, but I saw the last of my family. Valygar, I'm so sorry that you and the family had to go through this, my blind obsession with power and my pride doomed me."

"I, I don't know what to say," Valygar admitted.

"Say nothing, but know that the Corthala curse is gone because I am gone," Lavok told him. "You, the half elf, I have something for you."

"What is it?" Andaire said warily.

Lavok coughed and said once he was done, "I sense that you have the same spark of the Weave that I do. Yes, I can sense that you're a mage as I, but a more responsible one I hope. Here, take the sphere, it is my gift to you. Guard it from those who are as foolish as my younger self was. And Valygar, I'm so glad I saw you…"

Lavok twitched and then he let out a deep breath. He died with an expressionless face although later some would swear he had been smiling. Andaire didn't feel different though she knew something had happened. She solemnly watched the wizard perish, and then he seemed to age incredibly rapidly. It was as if all the years had caught up to him at once. Eventually he turned into a pile of gray dust and then the wind whisked him away.

"It's over," Valygar said at last. "It's finally over."

#2 Laufey

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:28 PM

Second half of the chapter. Hope you like it and critique away, I was still way too tired when I finished this and yes, my brain is still pure pudding. :twisted:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you'll feel better soon.

"Young lady," Keldorn told her in a stern voice. "There's a matter that I must bring to your attention before we go any further."

Andaire sighed inwardly. The last thing she needed was to have an in depth discussion on how dark elves were inherently evil, which she suspected the 'talk' was going to be about. "What is it?"

The paladin ignored the ire in her tone and said, "There is a ragged hole near the top of your pack. Your ill-mannered crow is even now tearing out more threads by the beak full. I'm afraid you'll have to have the pack replaced."

LOL! I really liked the contrast between Andaire's expectations of Keldorn, and the reality. :twisted: Very funny. I could just hear his voice too.

"My thanks," Andaire replied, steadfastly ignoring the sidelong glance Jaheira gave her. She had other things on her mind as for some reason, she found herself wishing that Anomen would rub the kinks out of her shoulders. The image was a pleasant one indeed, and Andaire was enjoying it until the silence was broken by cursing.

Awww... :twisted:

She mused as they made the torturously long trip back to the 'control room' that the demon fight would seem like a pleasant distraction in comparison to what Jaheira would say to her. She grumbled to herself for Jaheira was acting more… she didn't want to say overbearing but no other word would fit for now. Why she couldn't figure out yet, but it was beginning to irk her. Jaheira was right about one thing though in that she should have used magic and should not have gone charging in. It was just that when she heard or sensed here sire's presence she felt like doing nothing more than hacking at an enemy with her sword. Gorion was right as always when he taught her that to deal with magic required a cool head.

Uh Oh...the Talk is coming up. :)

Soon the machine hummed louder, though it didn't feel like they were really moving anywhere. They did hear that strange disembodied voice that had first announced the sphere had moved when they had opened the main door, and no one in the party knew form where it came. Lavok probably knew, but at the moment he was in no condition to say anything. Being one of the least injured, Andaire herself led the grateful knights to the door once the sphere came to a stop. She passed by Minsc, Nalia and Yoshimo on her way to the entrance, and since they were curious they followed her despite her instructions to the contrary. The Solamnic Knights had nothing to give Andaire except for their profuse thanks and an odd warning not to let the Kendar riding on her shoulder try on any more strange rings. She did get a glimpse of their world before the door shut and the sphere took off. It was a lovely place that reminded her of the nicer parts of the forests along the Sword Coast. She waved farewell to the knights and hoped that they noticed her gesture.

Good twist, sending the Knights home this way!

"Say nothing, but know that the Corthala curse is gone because I am gone," Lavok told him. "You, the half elf, I have something for you."

Lavok coughed and said once he was done, "I sense that you have the same spark of the Weave that I do. Yes, I can sense that you're a mage as I, but a more responsible one I hope. Here, take the sphere, it is my gift to you. Guard it from those who are as foolish as my younger self was. And Valygar, I'm so glad I saw you…"

Lavok twitched and then he let out a deep breath. He died with an expressionless face although later some would swear he had been smiling. Andaire didn't feel different though she knew something had happened. She solemnly watched the wizard perish, and then he seemed to age incredibly rapidly. It was as if all the years had caught up to him at once. Eventually he turned into a pile of gray dust and then the wind whisked him away.

Hm, I think I would have liked to see a little more of what Andaire was thinking here, to get inside her head so to speak. I think that would heighten the emotional impact of this part of the chapter.
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:00 PM

The noble nodded in agreement. Andaire decided that she liked the man for he was practical and though he disagreed with her on some things, he was still willing to follow her.

Yeah, Val is a nice, easy to get along sort of guy... only that anti-magic thingy...

"Listen up," she began. "Minsc is going to take the heart downstairs and fed it to that weird machine some of you saw and that Lavok told us about. Nalia, Yoshimo, go with him in case it's difficult to figure out how to do it."

Don't worry, he has Boo with him :wink:

"No worries Andaire!" Minsc told her. "Boo knows what to do and I shall do it for him since his paws are too tiny for all those knobs and buttons."

See? Great minds think alike! :twisted:

:oops: Poor Keldorn... he means well.

Not the time to be distracted, Andi! :)

Theo: Poor female Bhaalspawn's, they always end up facing The Talk... now, a very wise male Bhaalspawn will end up having a practical demonstration instead... :twisted: :twisted:

"At last," a bored Viconia said once Andaire entered the room. "I've been watching this jaluk for ages. This is beneath my dignity."

How charming...

Viconia frowned at the mention of the word elf, but otherwise she got a perverse sense of amusement out of standing near Keldorn and making him uncomfortable by her very presence.

There is romance in the air... :twisted:

"He's right," Andaire agreed. "They need to go home too, I promised them. I think they came from, what was it again? Abalone, Anseer and no, Ansalon. They came from Ansalon."

Are the locals called Anchovies, there? :twisted:

Aww, that's nice of Andi to send them back. Always sucked to leave them there, if I didn't have the stronghold.

Btw... I can't recall now - did Andi already took Nalia's castle as stronghold, or will she be taking the sphere?

Ah, there's the answer to my inquiry! Cool, I've not seen many (any?) stories where the protagonist takes the mage stronghold.

Do you plan to have Valygar reflect more on this, later? I think I would enjoy that.

And now... is it time for the group to meet up with Merand? :twisted:

#4 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:57 AM

Second half of the chapter. Hope you like it and critique away, I was still way too tired when I finished this and yes, my brain is still pure pudding. :oops:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you'll feel better soon.

Now that my mid-terms are over and my holidays have begun, my brain should recover from its pudding-like state soon. :twisted:

LOL! I really liked the contrast between Andaire's expectations of Keldorn, and the reality. :twisted: Very funny. I could just hear his voice too.

The characters wrote that exchange, I planned on a diferent one. :wink:

Awww... :twisted:

She likes him she does. :twisted:

And Blackie would have bit the first person to go near him, even Jaheira. :twisted:

Uh Oh...the Talk is coming up. :)

Yes, Andaire had better run, and run fast. :twisted:

Good twist, sending the Knights home this way!

I had to. There's no reason why the sphere couldn't be used, and I hate waiting for the mage that does it anyway.

Hm, I think I would have liked to see a little more of what Andaire was thinking here, to get inside her head so to speak. I think that would heighten the emotional impact of this part of the chapter.

Yeah, but I was so darn tired at this point I just ended it, I was too spent. Redoing the end a bit requires thinking. :wink:

#5 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 05 December 2003 - 02:05 AM

The noble nodded in agreement. Andaire decided that she liked the man for he was practical and though he disagreed with her on some things, he was still willing to follow her.

Yeah, Val is a nice, easy to get along sort of guy... only that anti-magic thingy...

Yeah, too bad Bio cut his romance. Oh well, I'll figure out what to do with him. :)

Don't worry, he has Boo with him :)

Yes, the mighty Boo!

See? Great minds think alike! :wink:

:D

:lol: Poor Keldorn... he means well.

Oh yes. :P The poor guy needs a rest though.

Not the time to be distracted, Andi! :twisted:

Andaire: It's always a good time to be distracted. Besides, don't tell me you don;t get distracted regularily by a certain druid. :twisted:

Theo: Poor female Bhaalspawn's, they always end up facing The Talk... now, a very wise male Bhaalspawn will end up having a practical demonstration instead... :oops: :wink:

Andaire: I really, really dread this. The Abyss is loking better and better by the minute, and I was just there!

How charming...

Oh, I don't think he'll change any time soon, which is too bad.

There is romance in the air... :twisted:

Tsk, you're bad. Of course I still had a twisted idea of a Viciona/Keldorn romance, but I think I'll leave that one alone. :P

Are the locals called Anchovies, there? :roll:

Blackie: Eaties? *looks for anchovies to steal*

Aww, that's nice of Andi to send them back. Always sucked to leave them there, if I didn't have the stronghold.

Btw... I can't recall now - did Andi already took Nalia's castle as stronghold, or will she be taking the sphere?

She took the keep as a stronghold. I always did, but then again I played a fighter/mage and used a game exploit to get both strongholds.

Ah, there's the answer to my inquiry! Cool, I've not seen many (any?) stories where the protagonist takes the mage stronghold.

Takes a long time though. Heh, heh, I have a different 'test; of loyalty in mind when the Cowled ones come a'calling. :twisted:

Do you plan to have Valygar reflect more on this, later? I think I would enjoy that.

Yes, but it will be in the chapter after the next one. I'll say this much, chapter 83 is from his perspective.

And now... is it time for the group to meet up with Merand? :twisted:

Well, some of the group. :twisted:

#6 Weyoun

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:32 PM

"Valygar, I'll get Viconia to heal you once we get all the way to where your ancestor is," Andaire told him wearily as the group walked through the entrance tunnel and into the main room.

You mean, only after passing the sahaugin, the feral halflings, the beholder and the constructs? Good luck Valygar. :)

She managed a grin and said, "Good, then go. When we get back home, we're going to take a couple of days to rest up."

Here we go! :)

LOL! I bet she didn't see that one coming! :)

"Blasted bird!" Anomen swore. "He bit me. Had I not been wearing my gauntlets, doubtless blood would be flowing from the wound on my fingers. There, the foul creature is free."

Hey, if Anomen grabbed me, I'd bite him too. :)

Oh, come now, KEldy!

"Does the raven truly wish to fly to a land unknown?" Haer'Dalis asked, getting confirmation when the half elf nodded in assent.

Well, rather fly than walk to lands unknown...

OH, that was bad. :)

Good conclusion! I loved it!

---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:43 AM

There was a tearing sound in the air and she automatically checked her clothing to see if she accidentally ripped it. Her things were fine and she idly wondered what that sound had been.

That crow! :)

For once she was wrong - and Keldorn was useful :)

"Thanks," Andaire said. She was disappointed to see the squire leave her presence. She glared at the bird as he scrambled to take his place on her shoulder, but as usual he was unrepentant in his behavior.

lol! That was most amusing. So, Blackie served her as a bait to get Ano closer ? :)

oh huh - their at it again...

Andaire nodded and led the group outside. Without discussing it they formed a single line and remained rather subdued. The half elf couldn't shake the impression that they were in the midst of a funeral procession.

It is - in a sense - and it was well written!

Glad you are finally out of the Sphere :)

Liked the idea of 'releasing the knights into the wild' too! :)

#8 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:05 PM

You mean, only after passing the sahaugin, the feral halflings, the beholder and the constructs? Good luck Valygar. :D

I hated the walk back so much to the control room that I just activated the cheats and jumped to the room.

Here we go! :P

She must hate the word talk by now. :(

LOL! I bet she didn't see that one coming! :)

Not at all. :cry:

Hey, if Anomen grabbed me, I'd bite him too. :)

Andaire: So would I, but he better not be wearing that armor of his when he does it. :lol:

Oh, come now, KEldy!

I wonder if he ever would trust her. It's more like learning to tolerate since at this point Andaire is the only one who trusts her.

And yes, she will be tested on that trust. :)

Well, rather fly than walk to lands unknown...

OH, that was bad. :D

Heh, heh, that was a good one. :)

Good conclusion! I loved it!

Now it's time to see if he will stay. He still thinks the Cowlies are after him. I'm also going to run the mage quest a little differently than the game one, just to clear up what in my mind are inconsistantcies in the game. :)

---Weyoun

#9 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:10 PM

There was a tearing sound in the air and she automatically checked her clothing to see if she accidentally ripped it. Her things were fine and she idly wondered what that sound had been.

That crow! :(

He's pure mischief he is.

For once she was wrong - and Keldorn was useful :D

Heh, heh, oh yes. I loved writing that scene.

"Thanks," Andaire said. She was disappointed to see the squire leave her presence. She glared at the bird as he scrambled to take his place on her shoulder, but as usual he was unrepentant in his behavior.

lol! That was most amusing. So, Blackie served her as a bait to get Ano closer ? :P

Maybe. :) Blackie is lucky for his sake that it wasn't Jaheira who got him loose as he was willing to bite anyone.

oh huh - their at it again...

Hpefully it won't come to blows. It probably won't, although characters have a way of changing the story you're trying to write. :cry:

Andaire nodded and led the group outside. Without discussing it they formed a single line and remained rather subdued. The half elf couldn't shake the impression that they were in the midst of a funeral procession.

It is - in a sense - and it was well written!

Glad you are finally out of the Sphere :D

Liked the idea of 'releasing the knights into the wild' too! :)

It made sense to me since the sphere is a travelling device, plus it made no sence that in the game, the mere act of powering up the sphere neutralized it. In a sense it's still active. And now it's time for Andi to meet a certain someone in the Promenade. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com