The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 24

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:27 PM

Contains adult scenes between two men. Don’t read if you don’t like that sort of thing. :twisted:

For the first time in several nights, Kane had a long and dreamless sleep, beginning to wake only when a single bird began singing outside his window. Muttering under his breath but not opening his eyes, he rolled over and found himself pressing against something soft and warm. More asleep than awake, Kane snuggled against it and whatever it was gave a contented sigh. He was just dropping off to sleep again when it suddenly occurred to him that there shouldn’t be anything, or anyone, in his bed. He opened his eyes and was shocked to find himself staring into a familiar pair of eyes.

“Edwin!” He cursed, quickly pulling away, half relieved and half angry. “Of all the stupid stunts to pull…what are you doing here anyway?”

“Well,” all the words disappeared from Edwin’s head as he noticed how the warrior was glaring at him. “I can explain…”

“This is bound to be interesting. Go right ahead, I’m waiting.”

“I was a little lonely,” Edwin admitted. “And I just-”

“You should have gone and paid some woman to keep your bed warm then,” Kane answered at once. “That’s what you used to do before you met me, wasn’t it? I would suggest that you went out and found a nice girl, someone sweet and gentle and innocent, who doesn’t even think evil thoughts, someone who’ll like your family and live up to their expectations. But if you found a girl like that, she wouldn’t come anywhere near you.”

“Look!” the wizard gave an exasperated sigh. “I didn’t come here for an argument, Kane.”

“Then you shouldn’t have come at all,” Kane muttered, not looking at him. “I don’t think you and I have anything to say to each other. You don’t trust me; if you did then you wouldn’t have been so quick to judge me. I thought that you were different, but you’re just like everyone else, my parents, the Harpers, those monks at Candlekeep.”

“Kane!” Though he had made up his mind to try and be calm, Edwin couldn’t quite keep the frustration out of his voice. “Will you just listen to me for a minute?”

“I’m not interested in anything you have to say. I hate you!”

“You don’t mean that. You still love me; I know you do. You told Benny you did.”

“So now you’re even listening in on my private conversations?” Kane growled. “Honestly Edwin, that’s a new low even for you. I must have been mad to ever believe I could love a spoilt, selfish, jealous brat like you!”

“You’re a fine one to talk about being jealous!” Edwin couldn’t hold his temper any longer. “What about your dislike of my teacher, are you telling me that wasn’t because you were jealous?”

“I don’t trust him in the slightest, I’ll admit that. And no, I don’t like that way you act around him either, always trying to please him, acting as though he’s the greatest person in the world. And the way you were when he went, crying and getting all upset about it…that was the most pathetic display I’ve witnessed in a long time! Especially when he couldn’t have been that good a teacher anyway.”

“Don’t you dare insult him like that! He’s always been the best teacher anyone could have!”

“You’ve been spoilt, you expect the whole universe to revolve around you and everyone else to pick up the pieces when you make mistakes and you have no common sense. Your teacher called me stupid, but I wasn’t the one who played around with dangerous magic and turned myself into a woman. All I can say is that I’m glad that he never taught me.” Edwin attempted to say something more, but Kane didn’t give him the chance. “I’m many things, but I’m not a coward and I don’t have to go running to Benny every time something goes wrong. I can look after myself, deal with my own problems. I just wonder when you are going to grow up and learn to deal with things yourself!”

“When you grow up and stop being so childish!” Edwin snapped back. “Why do you always have to be so bloody unreasonable about everything?”

“I’m being unreasonable?” Kane repeated angrily. “I’m being unreasonable? That’s right, just twist things around, make out that everything is my fault! That’s one thing you are good at!”

“I didn’t come here to argue with you. You’re the one who is after a fight.”

“We wouldn’t be having this argument if you had just trusted me in the first place. You hear a half-truth and get all upset about it even though it happened years ago. I still can’t understand what you want me to bloody do about it now? Things can’t be changed. And I suppose this shows that our relationship wasn’t what I thought it was. I really thought that you loved me like I loved you, but now I can see that I was just being a fool.” He glared at Edwin accusingly, but his voice turned tense, quiet, as if he was trying to hold back the full force of his emotions. “Do you have any idea how bad all this has made me feel, how much it has hurt me? Do you even care?”

“Of course I…” Edwin started, but the anger flashed back into Kane’s eyes at the sound of his voice.

“I wish I’d never met you!” he spat out viciously. “You…all this…it’s brought me nothing but trouble from the beginning!”

“You don’t…” Out of everything that had been said, those words hurt Edwin the most. “You don’t mean that.”

“I should have kept my mouth shut and let you go running back to Thay,” Kane continued, knowing that his words were having an effect. “I should have let Degardan take you back…” His voice trembled slightly. “I should have just kept well away from you in the first place!”

“Why are you saying these things? I know you don’t mean them; you’re only upsetting yourself. And…and me.”

“Am I supposed to care?” The warrior rolled over, turning his back on Edwin. “Well, I don’t. I don’t care about you or what you think; I don’t care if you hate me. Just leave…leave me alone. I can’t be around you right now.”

He fell silent. Edwin stayed where he was, angrily forcing back the tears that threatened to escape from his eyes. He wouldn’t give Kane another reason to mock him further. Struggling to get his jumbled thoughts in order, he couldn’t quite decide whether to be angry or upset or both, but it had been Kane’s final words that had upset him more than anything. He had been so preoccupied with his own feelings that he hadn’t stopped to consider that his lover might have been taking things just as badly as him.

He’s right, I can be very selfish and I don’t usually think about other people, not until it's too late. We’ve both been stupid and childish, but maybe it isn’t too late to make things better. Maybe we can get through this.

“I’ll go if that is what you want,” he said carefully. “But before I do, I want to have my say and you will listen to me. I didn’t come here to have an argument with you, I came to tell you that I’ve been doing some thinking lately and that maybe I had over-reacted a little about what happened between you and Crystal. It wasn’t that I didn’t trust you, it was the shock of discovering it, I needed time to think and get things straight in my head. Benny told me that things weren’t as bad as I first thought and I…I believe him. But then, when I was watching you last night, I came to the conclusion that perhaps it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t really matter what happened, it was too long ago to dwell on and it was under different circumstances too. I didn’t realise how badly you were taking the whole situation and I’m sorry that I withdrew from you like I did. And I’m so sorry that my actions made you believe that I hated you. Nothing could be further from the truth.”

After this speech, Kane didn't say anything for a while. But just as Edwin was beginning to lose hope, he finally spoke.

“Maybe I over-reacted a bit too,” he admitted, still not looking at him. “Perhaps I should have been a little more understanding. But I don’t like having my past dragged up and I don’t like being judged by people who claim to love me. You knew I’d done terrible things even before we became lovers and you said it didn’t matter and yet you acted like this…what was I supposed to think, huh? And then Bhaal started in, telling me that if you really loved me then you’d accept me no matter what had happened and he can be pretty convincing.”

“He’s a liar,” Edwin lightly touched his lover’s arm and sighed as Kane shrugged him off. “It’s him I hate, not you. I might not like some of the things you’ve done, or supposedly done, but I could never hate you, not even if I tried. I do love you and I do trust you and I wish that we could just put all this behind us.”

“I don’t know if we can, Edwin. I think I believe you…I want to believe you, but I’m not sure that I can trust you any more. I know that I haven’t behaved well either, particularly this morning, but I really do feel like you’ve betrayed me and that is not a pleasant feeling.”

“I know,” the wizard whispered. “I know that. But we can’t throw away what we have together, not over this. You once told me that being with me made you a better person and it’s the same with me. You are right, I can be spoilt and selfish and I do stupid things, but you’ve taught me to care for others, shown me that there is a world outside of Thay and the Red Wizards. I love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone and I need you, I think we need each other. And now I’m terrified that I might lose you.”

“Edwin…” Touched by the emotion in his lover’s voice and knowing that he was speaking the truth, Kane turned back over. “You don’t give up, do you? I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who can be as damn persistent as you when you want something.”

“I won’t give up on the things that are important to me, is that such a bad thing? Insult me all you like, Kane, tell me you hate me as many times as you like. I might lose my temper with you, like you do with me, but I’m not going to walk away. I’ve risked too much to be with you to just give up.”

“I…” Although Kane knew what he wanted to say, he had to pause until the lump in his throat had gone. He had been very angry with Edwin, and had been desperate to hurt him, but now that they were talking, it was already beginning to fade. “I can’t…tell you how happy it makes me to hear you say that. And you can stop being terrified because you are not going to lose me. I might get angry and frustrated with you, but I do love you and I always will, no matter what you do or say, no matter how irritating you can be.” His dark eyes met Edwin’s, his gaze intense, and he smiled hesitantly. “Come here, Edwin.”

They embraced fiercely, clinging to each other, each muttering the other’s name over and over again. Nothing else was said for a long while, nothing else needed to be said. At that moment, the silence was enough.

“We have to stop all this,” Kane spoke rather reluctantly. “I don’t like fighting with you like this, Eddie, I hate being so angry with you.”

“We certainly know how to make things difficult for ourselves,” Edwin agreed. “We both over-reacted here and we both got angry and upset and it was just…so stupid.”

“We really are a right pair of idiots, me and you. But I’ve learnt something from all this, in future I’ll be more understanding and try to keep my temper under control. If you want to talk about something, I’ll listen and not get worked up about it.”

“And I won’t jump to conclusions and get so upset about the past,” Edwin promised. “I’ll try to think about other people’s feelings more, not just my own, and if something bothers me, I will talk to you about it instead of pushing you away. But…but do you really think that I’m spoilt and selfish and stupid?”

“You can be at times,” Kane said seriously. “Though you are far better now then you were when I first met you. And despite what I said earlier, they are all things I love about you. They make you Edwin, my Edwin. Anyway, no one is perfect, not even me.”

“Arrogant, stubborn, short-tempered, as jealous as I can be, evil, never afraid to speak your mind…you might have a point,” Edwin teased. “But they make you what you are and I wouldn’t change you, not for anything.”

“I never meant any of what I said,” Kane touched Edwin’s face, catching a lock of the wizard’s dark hair between his fingers. “About wishing you had gone back to Thay and everything. I don’t know what I would have done if you really had…especially just after I’d realised how much I loved you.”

“I know you didn’t mean it,” Edwin kissed him lightly and then drew back so he could look up at him. He didn’t want to ask the next question, but at the same time, he knew that it had to be said. “But…but what about what you said about my teacher. The words were uttered in anger, but you meant them, didn’t you?”

“What I said was how I feel,” Kane admitted, though he was reluctant to do so. He wasn’t going to lie to his lover, but the last thing he wanted was to start yet another argument. And talking about any member of Edwin’s family was not something they could often do without arguing. “I think that travelling with us for a few months, assassins, drow, people who would sooner talk with their fists than with words, has taught you more and made you a much better person, than all the years you spent in Thay. I’m not the only one who thinks so either, you must have noticed how much nicer Viconia has been to you lately. They trust you, Eddie.” His fingers gently stroked the back of Edwin’s neck. “They trust you more because they can see that you are becoming one of us. I swore a long time ago that I wouldn’t say anything bad about your family…especially him, and I am really sorry that I did. But I won’t apologise for how I feel, Eddie. And I believe that you are better off here with us.”

“I can’t fault your honesty I suppose.” Edwin continued looking up at him. “I disagree of course, I think that he was a wonderful teacher, but maybe you are right in saying that mixing with…” he hesitated, struggling to find the right word. “Different,” he said finally. “Mixing with different people has been a good experience for me and I am glad that I took the chance. Perhaps we…we should forget this whole conversation and say no more about it.”

“I think that might be a good idea,” the warrior agreed. “We’re both said things that shouldn’t have been said and we probably shouldn’t dwell on them. It’s all in the past now, right?”

Not giving Edwin a chance to reply, the warrior kissed him hard, pushing him onto his back and pressing down against him. There was a roughness, in the kiss and his touch, which excited both of them. Soon they were locked together in a deep kiss, their hands sliding everywhere, each one desperate to feel every inch of his partner. It had been too long for the both of them and they were now consumed by a sense of urgency. Their lovemaking was wild, desperate and passionate, but there was still tenderness that made them both remember what they had had together before the incident with the Nether Scroll and that gave them hope. They had to get back to the way they were before, because what they had together was too good to senselessly throw away.

When it was over, the wizard and the warrior lay together, a little tired but happier than they had been in a long time. It would be all right, both of them knew, everything would be fine.

“I’ve missed this,” Kane finally broke the silence again. “Not just being here with you, but having you as a man again. I’d love you no matter what form you took, but it was this one that I fell in love with. And I can see how happy you are to be Edwin again, it shows.” He gave his lover a quick kiss and touched his face, tracing a finger along his jaw. “I’ve missed your beard too.” Edwin gave a short laugh and reached up to catch the warrior’s hand in his own. Kane let him take it and smirked slightly. “I’m being serious!” he protested. “I like it when it brushes against my skin, especially when you kiss my neck to wake me up in the mornings. It sends shivers down my spine.”

“We have plenty of those mornings left ahead of us,” Edwin promised. “You know,” he smirked suddenly. “Have I ever told you that I love the way you bite my ear.” Now it was Kane’s turn to chuckle. “It seems like such a rough thing to be doing and yet you can do it so gently.”

“I like it when you rub my back for me after we’ve had a heavy day of fighting. It feels really comforting.”

“And I love the way you stroke my shoulders.”

“You mean like this?” Kane teased, reaching for Edwin’s shoulder and moving his fingers lazily in a circle, occasionally brushing his thumb against his neck. “You like that, do you?” Edwin nodded and snuggled closer to Kane. “You know,” the warrior continued after a moment. “I’ve been thinking of going to get a tattoo done before we go to Spellhold. Your name on my shoulder or maybe across my chest. As a symbol of our love. What do you think?”

“You’d do that for me.”

“Of course. To show you, and everyone else who sees it, just how much you mean to me. What about you, ever thought about having one?”

“I’d like to,” Edwin smiled faintly. “Although my mother wouldn’t be too happy if she learnt that I was even entertaining the idea.”

“What business is it of hers?” Kane shrugged dismissively. “She isn’t here and besides, you aren’t a child any more, Edwin. If you want tattoos or anything else, then it’s your decision. It irritates me, the way you still try to live your life in a way that would please them even though they aren’t here. It holds you back. Anyway,” his tone changed as he moved his hand down Edwin’s back. “Let’s not talk about them right now. I can think of more interesting things to be doing.”

“Oh yes?” Edwin shifted closer, so that their faces were just inches apart. “Why don’t you show me what you have in mind?”

They began kissing again, gentler this time, and more loving. Edwin buried his fingers in Kane’s hair and the warrior occasionally broke free to plant small kisses across Edwin’s face and gently bite his ear. The wizard moaned softly and pressed against him, nuzzling at his neck as his hands moved lower for the second time that morning…

When the party arrived at the Five Flagons and were directed to the theatre below, they discovered that it seemed deserted, not even any performers. The lights were dim and it was completely silent. It wasn’t until they reached the stage that they noticed Haer’Dalis lurking in a corner.

“So we meet in brighter times and better places, I see!” he greeted them. “Have you brought the gem with you?”

“Aye,” Benny said easily. “We have your gem. And a very interesting gem it is too.”

“How much is it worth to you?” Kane asked, wanting to get things done as quickly as possible. Haer’Dalis smiled, though he looked rather anxious and kept his eyes fixed on the shapeshifter.

“I would give my very soul in gratitude for its return,” the bard started and Cory forced back a laugh. Before he could go on, Korgan interrupted.

“We don’t be wanting your bloody soul!” he said bluntly. “We be wanting gold, and quickly too.”

“Negotiations are between you and Miss Raelis,” Haer’Dalis was being to look even more uncomfortable. “She is behind the curtains, I suggest you speak with her.”

Behind the curtains was a small dressing room, though the tables were almost bare, all personal belongings gone. Haer’Dalis followed them in, approaching the redheaded woman in the red robes who was seated in the corner, staring into the mirror. He whispered a few words to her and she turned to them.

“So, the rescuers of our beloved Haer’Dalis have come to us at last. Haer’Dalis has spoken of you well. I trust you have brought us the gem?”

“Perhaps,” the warrior stepped forward and Benny went with him, leaving the others in the doorway. “How much it is worth to you?”

“Do not try to barter with me, child!” There was just a touch of irritation in her voice, but Kane scowled at her and she pushed it aside as she continued. “I shall give you more than any other, for I have more to give and greater need. Is that enough?”

“You do not fool us, pretty wrench,” Edwin sneered from the doorway. “It is obvious that you want this gem and if you do, then you will pay handsomely.”

“Aye!” Kagain agreed. “And in gold, nothin’ else!”

“Twelve hundred gold, then, if you be wanting numbers!” Raelis agreed reluctantly. “’Tis all I have.”

“If it is all you have, then I suppose it will have to do,” Kane shrugged. “At least it is some reward for our efforts, though it is hardly worth the trouble we went through to get that gem. One of our companions nearly died fighting that blasted wizard and the object itself was very heavily trapped.”

“It was too heavily trapped to be a mere decoration or stage prop,” Benny continued, looking hard at Raelis. The woman shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. “And I can feel something…magical about it.” She and Haer’Dalis exchanged a frightened stare. “Is this a planar jewel, Raelis?”

“A planar jewel,” Haer’Dalis agreed reluctantly, knowing that he had no choice. “A nexus between the Astral and the Prime Material. Few of you…Primes should even be able to sense its presence, but unfortunately Mekrath did and so it fell into his keeping. Tell me, how could you sense it?”

“I’ve been touched by the planes too,” the shapeshifter told them. “Apparently I came to this plane from Sigil when I was just born and my father was some sort of demon. But enough of this. What do you plan to do with the stone?”

“A young conduict.” Seeing that most of them looked confused, Haer’Dalis went on. “We birds of flight pass through them to travel between planes. They are whipping snake-like tubes that writhe within the Astral Plane, their heads and tails clinging to different bits of the multiverse. The stone in your possession acts like a charmer’s pipe, bringing them to us so that we might enter and pass through them.”

“What’s a planar jewel?” Cory whispered.

“A stone that people can use to walk the planes,” Edwin whispered back. “I read it in a book once. I hope Kane doesn’t give it to them, that would be really interesting to study.”

“And where will you go?” Kane asked him. The bard shrugged.

“We just need to slip through our hunter’s grasp and find another stage.” He grinned suddenly. “The play must go on, after all.”

“Now that you know the truth, may we please have the stone?” Raelis begged. “I fear that it will not long before our hunters seek us out here.”

“For twelve hundred,” Kane agreed. Benny took it from its hiding place and handed it to the woman, taking the coins she offered in return. Raelis turned to Haer’Dalis.

“It will not be long before we are ready to begin the summoning,” she told him. “Go and ask the others to prepare themselves and gather by the fireplace on the stage.” The tiefling nodded and left the room.

“As the conduicts open, they will bring something with them.” Raelis explained, turning back to Kane. “We shall have to hold off whatever comes through and determine which route is safest. Your help…your help would be much appreciated.”

Kane’s first instinct was to immediately refuse. He didn’t like Raelis Shai or Haer’Dalis and he couldn’t really care less what happened to them. But he also knew that Edwin and Benny would be interested in seeing what happened.

“All right,” he agreed. “We shall hold off these creatures for you. Just let me know when you find the right tunnel.”

A few moments later, the seven adventurers, Raelis Shai and Haer’Dalis were gathered on the stage, along with a female wizard in grey robes and a male dwarven wizard. The wizards, led by Raelis, began their work and it wasn’t long before the first portal opened.

Everything appeared to be going well at first. Two strange winged beasts appeared and the party had no problem disposing of them. Next came a shadow and that was also given its final death. The fire elemental proved a little more difficult, but not impossible. A lizard man followed that, and things got harder. Skilled with a blade, it managed to parry Korgan’s attack and the dwarf fell backwards into Kagain, who grabbed at one of the stage curtains to stop himself falling. Unfortunately, they weren’t very secure and both dwarves ended up on the floor, buried by a pile of cloth.

The next thing to come through was not a monster. It was a group of people, three men and a yuan-ti. Kane and Cory froze, their eyes fixed on the newcomers. Underneath the fallen curtain, the two dwarves had the sense to lie still and make no noise. On the other side of the stage, Benny caught Viconia and Edwin by the arm and dragged them behind the one curtain that was still standing.

“What are you doing?” Viconia hissed, a little annoyed. Benny put a finger to his lips, silently warning them both to be quiet.

“I don’t want us to get dragged through some portal into the middle of nowhere,” he said quickly. “It’s far safer if we stay out of sight until we know what these people want.”

“But Kane is out there!” Edwin protested. “And Cory!”

“They’ll just have to take care of themselves,” Benny said, trying to keep his patience. Edwin did have a point though; he really wished that he had been able to get hold of Cory too. “Just…don’t worry.”

“Who are you?” Raelis asked. Her voice trembled a little and Haer’Dalis moved closer to her. “What is your business with us?”

“Oh, we are just employees of an old acquaintance of yours in Sigil,” one of the men answered. His voice had a mocking tone to it and Kane instantly decided that he liked them even less than Raelis and her group. “Duke…what was his name now?”

“Darkwood…” the yuan-ti hissed, a hint of amusement in its voice. “Duke Darkwood…”

“Yes, that was it,” the first bounty hunter agreed, smiling unpleasantly. “Duke Darkwood. You really oughtn’t have performed that play, you know…”

“What play?” Viconia asked quietly. “What mess have we landed ourselves in this time?”

“Be quiet,” Benny put a finger to his lips again. “Just watch, I don’t doubt that we’ll see soon enough.”

“We were set up!” Raelis protested. “We performed it under the assumption that it was fiction. The playwright never told us otherwise.”

“Oh yes,” the man’s tone left everyone in no doubt that he didn’t believe a word of it. “The infamous anonymous playwright. Who was he anyway, we never did learn.”

“Neither did we…he wore a mask and met with us in dark alleyways. It doesn’t matter now…” she gave a reluctant sigh. “Come my bards. It appears ‘tis time to make our reckoning.”

“Take them through,” the man ordered and his companions moved forward to take hold of the bards. Haer’Dalis made a faint attempt to shake off his captor, but it was in vain. “Who are you?” he asked, seeming to notice Kane for the first time. “Surely Raelis did not hire you in the hope that you would save her.”

“I am merely an observer,” Kane was relieved that most of his party were keeping themselves hidden; this was exactly the sort of situation that could easily get out of hand. “I don’t care what you do with them.”

“We can’t just let them…” Cory started, only to break off as one of the men grabbed him. “Hey, I’m not one of them!”

“Let go of him!” Kane said at once. “Release my companion!”

“I second that!” Benny threw back the curtain, knowing that he could not stay silent any longer. “Unhand him now!”

“How many?” the yuan-ti hissed. “Let’s go.”

“This one is coming with us,” the man tightened his grip on the young assassin’s arm. Cory kicked back and the bounty hunter cried out as the heel of his boot grazed his shin, but didn’t release him. “Follow us if you dare, but I would strongly advise against it.”

Kane made an attempt to grab his younger friend, but he was too late. Both of them had already disappeared through the portal. “Cory!”

Angry and frustrated, Benny slammed his fist against the wall violently against the wall. Kane stayed where he was, looking hard at the portal, his eyes narrowed. It was obvious what their next course of action would be. None of them cared what happened to Haer’Dalis and his strange companions, but Cory was one of their own and they couldn’t desert him. They had to go through the portal and attempt to get him back, no matter what danger lurked on the other side.

Next Part: The adventurers tackle the planar prison in an attempt to rescue their companion.

#2 Laufey

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:55 AM

“You should have gone and paid some woman to keep your bed warm then,” Kane answered at once. “That’s what you used to do before you met me, wasn’t it? I would suggest that you went out and found a nice girl, someone sweet and gentle and innocent, who doesn’t even think evil thoughts, someone who’ll like your family and live up to their expectations. But if you found a girl like that, she wouldn’t come anywhere near you.”

Somebody sweet and gentle and innocent? :) Elvira would eat *her* alive.

“You don’t mean that. You still love me; I know you do. You told Benny you did.”

“So now you’re even listening in on my private conversations?” Kane growled. “Honestly Edwin, that’s a new low even for you. I must have been mad to ever believe I could love a spoilt, selfish, jealous brat like you!”

Kane *really* makes me want to smack him here, I'm afraid, being so totally unreasonable.

“You’re a fine one to talk about being jealous!” Edwin couldn’t hold his temper any longer. “What about your dislike of my teacher, are you telling me that wasn’t because you were jealous?”

“I don’t trust him in the slightest, I’ll admit that. And no, I don’t like that way you act around him either, always trying to please him, acting as though he’s the greatest person in the world. And the way you were when he went, crying and getting all upset about it…that was the most pathetic display I’ve witnessed in a long time! Especially when he couldn’t have been that good a teacher anyway.”

Well duh Kane...if you love somebody, and think you may not be going to see him again for a very long time, maybe ever, then there's certainly nothing shameful about being upset about it. :)

“Don’t you dare insult him like that! He’s always been the best teacher anyone could have!”

“You’ve been spoilt, you expect the whole universe to revolve around you and everyone else to pick up the pieces when you make mistakes and you have no common sense. Your teacher called me stupid, but I wasn’t the one who played around with dangerous magic and turned myself into a woman. All I can say is that I’m glad that he never taught me.” Edwin attempted to say something more, but Kane didn’t give him the chance. “I’m many things, but I’m not a coward and I don’t have to go running to Benny every time something goes wrong. I can look after myself, deal with my own problems. I just wonder when you are going to grow up and learn to deal with things yourself!”

“When you grow up and stop being so childish!” Edwin snapped back. “Why do you always have to be so bloody unreasonable about everything?”

You tell him Eddie. :) I'd say there are *two* individuals acting childishly here, because lashing out at the person you love and trying to hurt them as much as you can simply because they don't blindly agree with everything you say isn't what I would call very mature behavior either. *clears throat* Sorry Silver...I have to take Eddie's side here, no question about it.

“We wouldn’t be having this argument if you had just trusted me in the first place. You hear a half-truth and get all upset about it even though it happened years ago. I still can’t understand what you want me to bloody do about it now? Things can’t be changed. And I suppose this shows that our relationship wasn’t what I thought it was. I really thought that you loved me like I loved you, but now I can see that I was just being a fool.” He glared at Edwin accusingly, but his voice turned tense, quiet, as if he was trying to hold back the full force of his emotions. “Do you have any idea how bad all this has made me feel, how much it has hurt me? Do you even care?”

And do you care how much you hurt Edwin? :) He isn't the only one who can be self centered, here.

He fell silent. Edwin stayed where he was, angrily forcing back the tears that threatened to escape from his eyes. He wouldn’t give Kane another reason to mock him further. Struggling to get his jumbled thoughts in order, he couldn’t quite decide whether to be angry or upset or both, but it had been Kane’s final words that had upset him more than anything. He had been so preoccupied with his own feelings that he hadn’t stopped to consider that his lover might have been taking things just as badly as him.

He’s right, I can be very selfish and I don’t usually think about other people, not until it's too late. We’ve both been stupid and childish, but maybe it isn’t too late to make things better. Maybe we can get through this.

That is so, but I'd hate to see Edwin blaming himself completely for the falling out. I still think Kane should apologise to him for the things he said.

“I know,” the wizard whispered. “I know that. But we can’t throw away what we have together, not over this. You once told me that being with me made you a better person and it’s the same with me. You are right, I can be spoilt and selfish and I do stupid things, but you’ve taught me to care for others, shown me that there is a world outside of Thay and the Red Wizards. I love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone and I need you, I think we need each other. And now I’m terrified that I might lose you.”

Awwww...poor Eddie. :)

“I never meant any of what I said,” Kane touched Edwin’s face, catching a lock of the wizard’s dark hair between his fingers. “About wishing you had gone back to Thay and everything. I don’t know what I would have done if you really had…especially just after I’d realised how much I loved you.”

Much better. :)

“I know you didn’t mean it,” Edwin kissed him lightly and then drew back so he could look up at him. He didn’t want to ask the next question, but at the same time, he knew that it had to be said. “But…but what about what you said about my teacher. The words were uttered in anger, but you meant them, didn’t you?”

“What I said was how I feel,” Kane admitted, though he was reluctant to do so. He wasn’t going to lie to his lover, but the last thing he wanted was to start yet another argument. And talking about any member of Edwin’s family was not something they could often do without arguing. “I think that travelling with us for a few months, assassins, drow, people who would sooner talk with their fists than with words, has taught you more and made you a much better person, than all the years you spent in Thay. I’m not the only one who thinks so either, you must have noticed how much nicer Viconia has been to you lately. They trust you, Eddie.” His fingers gently stroked the back of Edwin’s neck. “They trust you more because they can see that you are becoming one of us. I swore a long time ago that I wouldn’t say anything bad about your family…especially him, and I am really sorry that I did. But I won’t apologise for how I feel, Eddie. And I believe that you are better off here with us.”

“I can’t fault your honesty I suppose.” Edwin continued looking up at him. “I disagree of course, I think that he was a wonderful teacher, but maybe you are right in saying that mixing with…” he hesitated, struggling to find the right word. “Different,” he said finally. “Mixing with different people has been a good experience for me and I am glad that I took the chance. Perhaps we…we should forget this whole conversation and say no more about it.”

It's part of growing up, actually. It is good for Edwin to learn to fend for himself, but that doesn't mean his parents did things wrong in trying to protect him - that is a very natural thing to do after all.

When it was over, the wizard and the warrior lay together, a little tired but happier than they had been in a long time. It would be all right, both of them knew, everything would be fine.

I hope so...I really do.

“I’d like to,” Edwin smiled faintly. “Although my mother wouldn’t be too happy if she learnt that I was even entertaining the idea.”

“What business is it of hers?” Kane shrugged dismissively. “She isn’t here and besides, you aren’t a child any more, Edwin. If you want tattoos or anything else, then it’s your decision. It irritates me, the way you still try to live your life in a way that would please them even though they aren’t here. It holds you back. Anyway,” his tone changed as he moved his hand down Edwin’s back. “Let’s not talk about them right now. I can think of more interesting things to be doing.”

Oh Kane...if you love your parents, you *do* want to please them, even if they're far away. That's just the way it is.

*grin* Sorry if I spent most of this comment ragging on Kane...but given how closely Dekkie is tangled up with me, it should be no surprise that Kane can really annoy me at times like this. No offence meant of course.
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:07 PM

Somebody sweet and gentle and innocent? :) Elvira would eat *her* alive.

:) I'd love to see her reaction to Kane, you know. He wouldn't put up with any nonsense from her.

Kane *really* makes me want to smack him here, I'm afraid, being so totally unreasonable.

Benny: He is being very unreasonable, I agree. But if you think he's bad now...just you wait until later.

Well duh Kane...if you love somebody, and think you may not be going to see him again for a very long time, maybe ever, then there's certainly nothing shameful about being upset about it. :)

Very true. This is actually something that he knows himself, but he really wants to hurt Edwin at the moment so he's saying anything that might have an effect.

You tell him Eddie. :) I'd say there are *two* individuals acting childishly here, because lashing out at the person you love and trying to hurt them as much as you can simply because they don't blindly agree with everything you say isn't what I would call very mature behavior either. *clears throat* Sorry Silver...I have to take Eddie's side here, no question about it.

Why am I not surprised? :) To be honest, I'm not sure whose side I take. They are both acting childish and very immature, Kane probably more so since he won't even listen to Edwin's apology. But I know from experience how hurtful it can be when people judge you on your past, especially people who are supposed to care about you, so I can understand how hurt Kane feels and why he's acting like he is.

And do you care how much you hurt Edwin? :) He isn't the only one who can be self centered, here.

No...they are both as bad as each other.

That is so, but I'd hate to see Edwin blaming himself completely for the falling out. I still think Kane should apologise to him for the things he said.

Of course! That's all they really need to do, stop being so stubborn and apologise to each other.

Awwww...poor Eddie. :(

This is all very difficult for him. :(

Much better. :)

*grin* All it needed was for them both to apologise

It's part of growing up, actually. It is good for Edwin to learn to fend for himself, but that doesn't mean his parents did things wrong in trying to protect him - that is a very natural thing to do after all.

Yes, it is...but Kane finds it very difficult to understand that since neither of his parents ever cared enough to protect him or his sister.

I hope so...I really do.

They'll be happy for about four chapters...and then there'll be more trouble.

Oh Kane...if you love your parents, you *do* want to please them, even if they're far away. That's just the way it is.

*nod* That's true. Mind you, that's something else that Kane can't really understand either. He does want to please Benny to an extent, but if he wanted to do something, he'd go ahead and do it even if his teacher didn't approve. That's just the way he is.

*grin* Sorry if I spent most of this comment ragging on Kane...but given how closely Dekkie is tangled up with me, it should be no surprise that Kane can really annoy me at times like this. No offence meant of course.

*grin* None taken, I expected it. Kane can be incredibly annoying when he gets like this, I have to agree, even though it isn't completely his fault. Edwin is the one I feel sorry for the most though...being caught in the middle is no fun and it is still going to get worse for him as time goes on. :D

#4 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:08 PM

Stupid...stupid internet connection. *growls*

#5 Guest_WC_Sumpton_*

Posted 24 November 2003 - 05:55 AM

I'm very scared to post this reply... I really like your writing Silver... always have... I know I've missed some things... But there was something in this post the bothered me. Before reading this please understand that this is only my opinion, and I don't want to say anything bad, but I'm afraid that I'm not stating what I want to clearly...

I ask for forgiveness...

I read this over again. I even went back to the last piece, for a quick reread. Time and RL permitting, I hope to go back and read more of Kane and Edwin...

My problems with this, and let me stress that it is my problem, is that I felt that neither wanted to take the 'male' role...

Contains adult scenes between two men. Don’t read if you don’t like that sort of thing. :)

For the first time in several nights, Kane had a long and dreamless sleep, beginning to wake only when a single bird began singing outside his window. Muttering under his breath but not opening his eyes, he rolled over and found himself pressing against something soft and warm. More asleep than awake, Kane snuggled against it and whatever it was gave a contented sigh. He was just dropping off to sleep again when it suddenly occurred to him that there shouldn’t be anything, or anyone, in his bed. He opened his eyes and was shocked to find himself staring into a familiar pair of eyes.

“Edwin!” He cursed, quickly pulling away, half relieved and half angry. “Of all the stupid stunts to pull…what are you doing here anyway?”

“Well,” all the words disappeared from Edwin’s head as he noticed how the warrior was glaring at him. “I can explain…”

“This is bound to be interesting. Go right ahead, I’m waiting.”

“I was a little lonely,” Edwin admitted. “And I just-”

This opening was good, I felt that Kane was in charge... Edwin on the other hand... seemed so feminine... a lingering side affect of his recent change???

“Look!” the wizard gave an exasperated sigh. “I didn’t come here for an argument, Kane.”

“Then you shouldn’t have come at all,” Kane muttered, not looking at him. “I don’t think you and I have anything to say to each other. You don’t trust me; if you did then you wouldn’t have been so quick to judge me. I thought that you were different, but you’re just like everyone else, my parents, the Harpers, those monks at Candlekeep.”

“Kane!” Though he had made up his mind to try and be calm, Edwin couldn’t quite keep the frustration out of his voice. “Will you just listen to me for a minute?”

Still felt good here... Edwin is still feminine sounding

Yikes!!! Was this Kane?? This really through the character off for me. The last comment 'I hate you!' seemed so out of place for me. I think I understand that you are trying to show the soft side of both characters, but I think Kane's character shift was way to sudden. I liked the thought of the dialog that you presented during this tender scene, it was just how the dialog was presented. I felt like there were two cats fighting, not two bull, and not a bull and a cat. Again... let me stress that this was the feeling I got... If this was what you were trying to protray, then it was the quickness of Kane's change over that twisted me! :D

“I…” Although Kane knew what he wanted to say, he had to pause until the lump in his throat had gone. He had been very angry with Edwin, and had been desperate to hurt him, but now that they were talking, it was already beginning to fade. “I can’t…tell you how happy it makes me to hear you say that. And you can stop being terrified because you are not going to lose me. I might get angry and frustrated with you, but I do love you and I always will, no matter what you do or say, no matter how irritating you can be.” His dark eyes met Edwin’s, his gaze intense, and he smiled hesitantly. “Come here, Edwin.”

They embraced fiercely, clinging to each other, each muttering the other’s name over and over again. Nothing else was said for a long while, nothing else needed to be said. At that moment, the silence was enough.

Ahh... They came to a understanding... I hope Edwin was not to overtly hurt.

Angry and frustrated, Benny slammed his fist against the wall violently against the wall.

Too many 'wall's, or is Benny breaking them out of a room... :P

I'm going back now to read some more... Kane has always interest me.

Thanks

#6 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 25 November 2003 - 12:41 AM

:wink: What do you think he's doing, Kane? At least give him a chance to make up before you get angry.

:shock: Give him a break, Kane! This argument you've had wasn't just his fault!

:roll: Kane sure knows how to hurt Eddie.

At least you have Benny here when you need him though, Kane. Edwin doesn't know when he'll see Dekkie again - it's only natural that he misses him.

Heh, there are times when that could apply to him as well - but I'm definitely on his side in this argument.

Of course he does, that's why he's here!

“He’s a liar,” Edwin lightly touched his lover’s arm and sighed as Kane shrugged him off. “It’s him I hate, not you. I might not like some of the things you’ve done, or supposedly done, but I could never hate you, not even if I tried. I do love you and I do trust you and I wish that we could just put all this behind us.”

Aww! I hope so. :wink:

“I don’t know if we can, Edwin. I think I believe you…I want to believe you, but I’m not sure that I can trust you any more. I know that I haven’t behaved well either, particularly this morning, but I really do feel like you’ve betrayed me and that is not a pleasant feeling.”

:) You haven't been there for him lately either though, kane.

Aww!

“We certainly know how to make things difficult for ourselves,” Edwin agreed. “We both over-reacted here and we both got angry and upset and it was just…so stupid.”

Yep. :twisted:

“You can be at times,” Kane said seriously. “Though you are far better now then you were when I first met you. And despite what I said earlier, they are all things I love about you. They make you Edwin, my Edwin. Anyway, no one is perfect, not even me.”

LOL!

Kane’s first instinct was to immediately refuse. He didn’t like Raelis Shai or Haer’Dalis and he couldn’t really care less what happened to them. But he also knew that Edwin and Benny would be interested in seeing what happened.

Heh, didn't the Nether scroll incident teach him anything? You need to be wary when edwin gets interested in masgical experiments, Kane...

“We can’t just let them…” Cory started, only to break off as one of the men grabbed him. “Hey, I’m not one of them!”

:wink: Oy! Leave him alone!

[

Angry and frustrated, Benny slammed his fist against the wall violently against the wall. Kane stayed where he was, looking hard at the portal, his eyes narrowed. It was obvious what their next course of action would be. None of them cared what happened to Haer’Dalis and his strange companions, but Cory was one of their own and they couldn’t desert him. They had to go through the portal and attempt to get him back, no matter what danger lurked on the other side.

:) Hope Cory's ok.

Nice chapter :wink:

#7 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:55 PM

:( What do you think he's doing, Kane? At least give him a chance to make up before you get angry.

Unfortunately Kane isn't in the mood to be reasonable just now.

:twisted: Give him a break, Kane! This argument you've had wasn't just his fault!

Nope, it wasn't. They are both as bad as each other. :wink:

:D Kane sure knows how to hurt Eddie.

Yeah... :P

At least you have Benny here when you need him though, Kane. Edwin doesn't know when he'll see Dekkie again - it's only natural that he misses him.

Of course it is! Kane just can resist insulting Dekkie...especially since he knows how much it will hurt Edwin.

Heh, there are times when that could apply to him as well - but I'm definitely on his side in this argument.

I don't blame you. Mind you, Kane is hurting here too and lashing out is the only way he knows how to deal with it.

Of course he does, that's why he's here!

Of course.

Aww! I hope so. :)

We'll see. :P

:D You haven't been there for him lately either though, kane.

That's true. Mind you, he has had Bhaal and everything else to deal with. Edwin was the least of his problems, I think.

Aww!

*grins*

Yep. :(

Both as bad as each other... :)

Heh, didn't the Nether scroll incident teach him anything? You need to be wary when edwin gets interested in masgical experiments, Kane...

Kane: True...but at least I was there to keep an eye on him this time.

:wink: Oy! Leave him alone!

Bad bounty hunters! :wink:

:P Hope Cory's ok.

Well, he will be locked in a cell with Haer'Dalis... :D

Nice chapter :(

Thank you! :(

Silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com