Thicker than Water 33

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bibbi_*

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:19 AM

argh, sorry for the delay, I haven't been around much lately! I'll have winter break soon enough where I can write more chapters, maybe even finish SoA part, and at any rate, post some more here. I've taken the liberty to meld some of Jaheira's quests together, since I don't feel like dealing with her buggy romance :)
next chapter will have the characters out of the woods and into Trademeet (only to go into the Druid Grove...) enjoy! :)

Jaheira felt a cold sharpness awaken her from deep slumber; ever ready, even asleep, she jolted up from her bedroll to find herself staring at a sword point. Holding the offending weapon was none other than her old mentor, Dermin. His face was a cross between grim satisfaction and melancholy reluctance, and she had a good idea of why.

“So the Harpers must now resort to murdering fugitives when they are defenseless?” she demanded acidly. “I presume you will not even allow me a chance to gain my bearings. The least you can do is spare my companions; I am the traitor you seek, not them.” She proudly held her head high as she stared Dermin in the eyes.

He looked away guiltily for a second before violently returning the harsh gaze. “I always knew you would be trouble, Jaheira, but I never thought I would be the one to face you. This brings me no pleasure.”

“Just the satisfaction of knowing your precious Bhaalspawn is captured and your own ascension is guaranteed,” Jaheira spat contemptuously. “What happened to the man who taught me of the Harpers and what they stood for? Has he died as surely as Galvarey and his followers?”

Dermin scowled. “You don’t know what you speak of, Jaheira. The creature you travel with is a menace to the world; I am doing everyone a favor.”

“I would take a better look at myself before calling anyone else a creature,” the druid retorted. “How many other so called menaces have had to die for your advancement? Are the innocent so easily brushed aside?” Their conversation had roused the other group members, but they were similarly greeted by Harper weapons. Valygar stiffened when he saw Jaheira.

“Jaheira!” he cried, almost running himself into a sword as he lunged for her. “Let her go! If you need a hostage, take me! She is of no use dead!”

“Valygar!” Jaheira shouted in shock and anger. “This is my fight, you will not risk your life for mine.”

He ignored her. “Let her go,” he repeated. “I am a Corthala: a man of cursed lineage in Athkatla. If you want prestige, hand me over to the Cowled Wizards, they will be most eager to have me in their grasp.” He hoped his pardon from the Wizards had not reached the ambitious Harper, that this false prize would be too good to pass up.

Dermin snorted. “This is no longer about power, nature man. This is about clearing the past and making way for a new future.” He had lowered his guarded stance as he replied to the ranger’s proposition, giving Jaheira a chance to maneuver to grab her staff.

The thug guarding the dark ranger guffawed at the display of affection and turned to Dermin. “If he wants to take his lady’s place so much, why stop him? They’re all going to die, anyway.” He carelessly slashed at Valygar’s unprotected form, sending the man tumbling to the ground.

“No! Blast you filthy bogslimes, not again!” Jaheira screamed, staring in horror at Valygar’s lifeless form.

Dermin shook his head snidely. “You have made the most interesting choice of…traveling companions,” he commented to the druid. “I’m not sure Khalid would approve.”

Jaheira snarled and tackled Dermin, forgetting her staff in the heat of the moment. The other Harpers watched concernedly as their leader wrestled on the ground with the incensed druid; the others readied themselves with the closest weapons at hand and launched a counterattack. Aerie and Xan shot disarming spells at the closest threats as Ajantis grabbed his sword and chopped at anything that came within reach.

Arrows from the forest thudded into a hapless man and Yoshimo’s form could dimly be seen from the far side of the camp. He was dressed and alert, having been on guard duty last. Haer’Dalis and Tybalt were nowhere to be seen.

Jaheira had by now knocked aside Dermin’s sword and was strangling him with her bare hands, her face a mask of bestial fury. “I…lost Khalid,” she growled. “I will not…lose him too!” Her voice matched her red face, sounding more animal than human as she struggled. It was as if Nature herself were aiding the enraged druid.

Unprepared as the group was, they were the superior fighters, and with the combined spells of the two elves, quickly finished off the Harpers. Aerie shot a satisfying magic missile at the man who had felled Valygar before rushing to the ranger’s side to check the damage.

“Ja-jaheira!” she cried excitedly. “He lives! He’ll be okay!” She soothed the moaning man with an incantation and fetched healing supplies from her pack.

Jaheira had heard none of this, as she stared into Dermin’s blank stare. Her hands still grasped his neck reflexively even though his thrashing had stopped moments before. After regaining some amount of composure, she released her old friend and sat back to examine what she had done. She stared dully at Dermin’s form before shaking herself and moving to Valygar’s side.

She clutched him tightly, smiling slightly as he opened his eyes and winced. “You are safe now.” She squeezed his shoulder. “How do you feel?”

He returned the smile ruefully. “Like I’ve been hit by a giant.”

“Good!” she smacked his head suddenly. “What did you think you were doing, opening yourself to attack like that? Dermin wanted me dead, no matter what reward you could promise. I’ve lost so many recently, Dermin included; I couldn’t bear to lose you, as well. I...” She broke off as tears cut off her throat and she turned away.

Valygar sent a meaningful glance at the others and they began to set up their belongings out of earshot. He sat up and rubbed Jaheira’s back comfortingly. “You didn’t lose me.”

“No,” she agreed, “but I can any second we journey on this path. The adventuring life is not known for its longevity.” She wiped away tears and sniffled loudly. She glared at him, torn between hugging him and berating him again. She compromised by placing her hands on her hips and reproachfully saying, “You had me truly worried for a moment.” Then she stroked his cheek fondly. “You are the best thing to come into my life for a long time, and I don’t want that to change.”

Valygar grabbed her hand. “Nor do I. I am here to stay, no matter how hard you try to get rid of me. I will follow you to the farthest corner of the world, if need be.”

She arched an eyebrow. “And if I do not wish to be followed?”

“I have been a spy in the Amnish army,” he explained patiently. “You won’t see me unless I want you to. You can’t escape me that easily.”

She sighed, then hugged him one last time before rising. She was again calm and collected, and she stared at the mess of the campground. “How did Dermin reach us so easily?” she inquired of the group. “Was no one on guard?”

Yoshimo stepped forward guiltily. “I had stepped away for a moment to, ah, make sure our favorite Bhaalspawn was not in danger.” He gestured to show Tybalt’s continued absence. “I had not thought the rest of you in any danger for a moment of stealth.”

Jaheira’s ire at the lack of attention changed to worry for Tybalt. “Where is he? He is not harmed?”

Yoshimo blushed momentarily. “He is in…good hands,” he replied vaguely.

“What does that mean?” she snapped, not in the mood for games.

Haer’Dalis emerged from the forest’s edge. He was still in his sleeping clothes and appeared rather disheveled. “The raven and I were having the most interesting conversation,” he said smoothly, darting a warning glance at Yoshimo before smiling easily at Jaheira. “It was a less than restful night for us all, I gather.” He indicated the bodies around the camp.

She sighed wearily. “Dermin and his cronies attacked when our guard was down,” she explained, giving Yoshimo one last disapproving glance before going to pack her own belongings.

Haer’Dalis casually strolled to his equipment, studiously avoiding the bemused bounty hunter’s stare. He did not meet Tybalt’s eyes, either, when the man finally stumbled into camp. He went about his chores as if nothing had happened.

Tybalt tried several times to gain the bard’s attention but eventually stopped when Aerie, curious as to his strange movements, asked if he had a cramp in his neck. He quickly assured her that he was fine and attended his own belongings.

The group set off after the packing was finished and headed out for Trademeet once more. Everyone was silent as they started off; Dermin’s attack had shaken most of them, while Tybalt had other concerns on his mind.

He stared into the distance moodily and snapped at anyone who came near him. He needed time to try to reason out his unusual night and Haer’Dalis’ even more unusual manner to him now; the bard stayed at a distance from him throughout the day and acted as if Tybalt didn’t even exist. The Bhaalspawn was desperate for the man’s attention but couldn’t say anything without rousing the others’ concerns. He wasn’t even sure what he would say if he had a chance alone with the man.

Ahead, Jaheira faced similar problems. She gave warning glances to Valygar whenever the ranger ventured to approach, preferring to walk alone. Her initial affection and relief for him after the attack diminished under the burden of knowing she had slain Dermin in cold blood. The man had been a friend, no matter his crimes, and had instructed her in many of her current beliefs. If he could be wrong, was she just as erroneous? Had she placed too much faith in the Harpers, or Gorion’s personal charge of keeping Tybalt safe? She could not in good conscience completely dismiss the concerns the Harpers held for Tybalt, noting his unstable behavior and uncontrollable powers; alternately, she believed Gorion’s ward did not mean harm to anyone. She knew Tybalt and trusted him, mostly.

It was the small part of her that didn’t trust him which scared her.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:41 AM

argh, sorry for the delay, I haven't been around much lately! I'll have winter break soon enough where I can write more chapters, maybe even finish SoA part, and at any rate, post some more here. I've taken the liberty to meld some of Jaheira's quests together, since I don't feel like dealing with her buggy romance :)
next chapter will have the characters out of the woods and into Trademeet (only to go into the Druid Grove...) enjoy! :D

Probably a good decision, that. I remember having some trouble to complete Jaheira's romance first time around, after that I got the fixpack from manveru's site and never had another problem with jae's romance. :P

Jaheira felt a cold sharpness awaken her from deep slumber; ever ready, even asleep, she jolted up from her bedroll to find herself staring at a sword point. Holding the offending weapon was none other than her old mentor, Dermin. His face was a cross between grim satisfaction and melancholy reluctance, and she had a good idea of why.

Eeep! Not a good way to woke up... that bastard Dermin, grr!

“So the Harpers must now resort to murdering fugitives when they are defenseless?” she demanded acidly. “I presume you will not even allow me a chance to gain my bearings. The least you can do is spare my companions; I am the traitor you seek, not them.” She proudly held her head high as she stared Dermin in the eyes.

Awww, I love her courage and protectiveness. :D

Dermin scowled. “You don’t know what you speak of, Jaheira. The creature you travel with is a menace to the world; I am doing everyone a favor.”

Perhaps he would at that, but that is not for him to decide. Tybalt certainly hasn't done anything majorly wrong, and it is not justice to judge someone for crimes he *might* commit in the future.

“Jaheira!” he cried, almost running himself into a sword as he lunged for her. “Let her go! If you need a hostage, take me! She is of no use dead!”

Awww... a good way to combine the harper quest with the bandit encounter. :D

The thug guarding the dark ranger guffawed at the display of affection and turned to Dermin. “If he wants to take his lady’s place so much, why stop him? They’re all going to die, anyway.” He carelessly slashed at Valygar’s unprotected form, sending the man tumbling to the ground.

“No! Blast you filthy bogslimes, not again!” Jaheira screamed, staring in horror at Valygar’s lifeless form.

:( Dermin will be very dead for that...

Dermin shook his head snidely. “You have made the most interesting choice of…traveling companions,” he commented to the druid. “I’m not sure Khalid would approve.”

That is none of your business, idiot. And if you think so, then you clearly never knew Khalid. :D

Arrows from the forest thudded into a hapless man and Yoshimo’s form could dimly be seen from the far side of the camp. He was dressed and alert, having been on guard duty last. Haer’Dalis and Tybalt were nowhere to be seen.

If they lose someone in this fight, those two will feel awfully guilty.

Jaheira had heard none of this, as she stared into Dermin’s blank stare. Her hands still grasped his neck reflexively even though his thrashing had stopped moments before. After regaining some amount of composure, she released her old friend and sat back to examine what she had done. She stared dully at Dermin’s form before shaking herself and moving to Valygar’s side.

Poor Jaheira... now she's lost everything... hopefully she won't lose Val as well. :(

“No,” she agreed, “but I can any second we journey on this path. The adventuring life is not known for its longevity.” She wiped away tears and sniffled loudly. She glared at him, torn between hugging him and berating him again. She compromised by placing her hands on her hips and reproachfully saying, “You had me truly worried for a moment.” Then she stroked his cheek fondly. “You are the best thing to come into my life for a long time, and I don’t want that to change.”

Valygar grabbed her hand. “Nor do I. I am here to stay, no matter how hard you try to get rid of me. I will follow you to the farthest corner of the world, if need be.”

AWWW! These two really deserve each other, after all they've gone through.

:)

Tybalt tried several times to gain the bard’s attention but eventually stopped when Aerie, curious as to his strange movements, asked if he had a cramp in his neck. He quickly assured her that he was fine and attended his own belongings.

Hmmm... it's a good thing that Jaheira has her mind on other things, or Tybalt would be in for a TALK.

Ahead, Jaheira faced similar problems. She gave warning glances to Valygar whenever the ranger ventured to approach, preferring to walk alone. Her initial affection and relief for him after the attack diminished under the burden of knowing she had slain Dermin in cold blood. The man had been a friend, no matter his crimes, and had instructed her in many of her current beliefs. If he could be wrong, was she just as erroneous? Had she placed too much faith in the Harpers, or Gorion’s personal charge of keeping Tybalt safe? She could not in good conscience completely dismiss the concerns the Harpers held for Tybalt, noting his unstable behavior and uncontrollable powers; alternately, she believed Gorion’s ward did not mean harm to anyone. She knew Tybalt and trusted him, mostly.

All she can do now, is to guide and advise Tybalt so that the Dermin's predictions don't come true. Of course, if Tybalt was to guve in to the taint eventually, that would be a great blow to her. :(

#3 Guest_Bibbi_*

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:57 PM

argh, sorry for the delay, I haven't been around much lately! I'll have winter break soon enough where I can write more chapters, maybe even finish SoA part, and at any rate, post some more here. I've taken the liberty to meld some of Jaheira's quests together, since I don't feel like dealing with her buggy romance :twisted:
next chapter will have the characters out of the woods and into Trademeet (only to go into the Druid Grove...) enjoy! :)

Probably a good decision, that. I remember having some trouble to complete Jaheira's romance first time around, after that I got the fixpack from manveru's site and never had another problem with jae's romance. :P

hehe, yeah, the most indepth romance would of course have the most problems, but it's fun nonetheless

Eeep! Not a good way to woke up... that bastard Dermin, grr!

yeah, one of my least favorite characters in the game :wink:

Awww, I love her courage and protectiveness. :D

what would they do without her? she's like their mommy and protector all in one :P

Perhaps he would at that, but that is not for him to decide. Tybalt certainly hasn't done anything majorly wrong, and it is not justice to judge someone for crimes he *might* commit in the future.

yeah, this bhaalspawn is a little more unstable than some other ones floating around the attic, but he's still innocent until proven guilty...

Awww... a good way to combine the harper quest with the bandit encounter. :)

yeah, more efficient :P

:( Dermin will be very dead for that...

oh yeah. nothing to piss her off more than threaten someone near and dear- more dangerous than threatening her, i'd think

That is none of your business, idiot. And if you think so, then you clearly never knew Khalid. :wink:

yeah, he seems to have lost his closeness with jaheira and her life...wonder why :D

If they lose someone in this fight, those two will feel awfully guilty.

yeah, luckily nothing too bad will happen at this point. there's always the next time, though, so they'd better get their act together

Poor Jaheira... now she's lost everything... hopefully she won't lose Val as well. :(

yeah, it hasn't been easy for her sticking to Tybalt. hopefully she'll take some happiness where she can

AWWW! These two really deserve each other, after all they've gone through.

yeah, dark pasts and whatnot. they'll help each other get through the next few weeks :P

:(

hehe :D

Hmmm... it's a good thing that Jaheira has her mind on other things, or Tybalt would be in for a TALK.

someone's in trouble! hehe

All she can do now, is to guide and advise Tybalt so that the Dermin's predictions don't come true. Of course, if Tybalt was to guve in to the taint eventually, that would be a great blow to her. :(

yeah, it'll be a battle of wills: her versus Bhaal. i pity Bhaal :wink:

thanks for reading!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com